If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Req'd for Techno-Phobe

Options
  • 03-12-2009 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Hello all (& John),

New poster here (but long time reader).

I would really apppreciate advice as follows:

I'm looking for a plasma or LCD tv (I'm told plasma is better??) but know nothing about TVs.

I'm looking for 42" or larger and it is used for watching TV off skybox and DVDs only but kids are getting a wii for Xmas.

Budget is circa €850. I'm told that Panasonic is good and DID Elec have offered me a PX42G plasma for €850 inc 5 year guarantee. Is this a good offer?

Would be glad of any alternative suggestions.

Also, do I need a home cinema system for sound and, if so, how much should I budget?

I change my TVs about every 8 years(!) so would be very grateful for advice.

Many thanks!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi PGE1971

Each type of Tech has its pro's and cons but LCD is now the dominent player on the field with it's tech omproving in leaps and bounds - the only Plasma in the What HiFi awards was a 55" screen, the rest are LCD's!

Have a look this one, it our Philips 42PFL7404H LCD TV.

www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl7404h_12/42pfl7404h_12_pss_eng.pdf

This is one of our very popular mid range sets and has the goods where it counts,
    Full HD LCD screen,
    80000:1 contrast ratio
    100Hz refresh rate and 3ms response time
    Pixel Precise HD Image processing
    4x HDMI Inputs - you can never have too many of these! 2x SCART, VGA, Component and a USB input to round out the connection suite.

So you have plenty of room to grow as you add tasty things like Blu-Ray players to your TV......

Its happy with both HD and SD content and will be a TV you can grow into over the next 8 years!

www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl7404h_12/42pfl7404h_12_pss_eng.pdf

We have this TV instore and on display and would be happy to demo it for you.

One thing to consider with games consoles is Plamsa TV's can still be prone to screen burn if you are not very carefull - it's less of an issue now BUT it is still an issue

This TV sells for €949.99 in store but with our 10% Philips Shop Boards Discount your can have one for €854.99 with a 3 year warranty....

I also have a wide range of Home Cinema options in store that you can add to your TV.
    These start from €149.99 for our 5.1 HTS-3020 DVD system

Give me a buzz on 01 474 0788 if you'd like more info or call into us and I'll happily show you the options available.

cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Ash,

Thanks a million for taking the trouble to reply, a very informative post.

I have had a phillips tv before and it was a great tv.

Could I ask you two further Qs (and try to be objective;)):

- will the phillips be able to carry new digital tv when it launches?
    - is this the Tv that you would recommend to a friend in that price range and what would make it a better buy that a panasonic plasma for example?

Thanks for your patience, as I've said, I know absolutely nothing about TVs and just want to be sure that I'm getting the right one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi there

No worries

To answer your questions

- will the phillips be able to carry new digital tv when it launches? It certainly does as it has the MPEG4 tuner on Board
    - is this the Tv that you would recommend to a friend in that price range and what would make it a better buy that a panasonic plasma for example? ohh good question! I'd have to say yes but I'd push them more towards the 42PFL8404 as it has the NET TV function and Ambilight and only cost a little more but is otherwise EXACTLY the same TV this sells for €999.99 instore before your discount but if you dont need those features the 7404 is an excellent TV..

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

PGE1970, if you don't mind I will also happily recommend a 7404 or 8404. I spent a good 3 months extensively researching what TV to buy, and I'd like to consider myself somewhat techy. I went in and met up with Ash and he talked me through all the TVs and I ended up selecting the 8404 and haven't regretted a moment of it. I'm using my TV predominantly for Sky+ and downloaded HD content and it is fantastic with both. Many friends who also have similar sets from a range of manufacturers have said the 8404 (which as Ash says is the same essentially as the 7404 in everything to do with sound and screen just with a few added extras) is absolutely cracking. With regard to the sound, really I find my TV absolutely fine with the on board sound as it is, and my sitting room is particularly large. I have a 5.1 surround system but I don't use it much at all, the sound is pretty damn good as it is on the TV itself. But for the extra effect on moves a surround sound system really adds to the effect, but for watching regular TV as it is out of the box its spot on.

I went for the 8404 over the 7 because of the extended warranty and inclusion of ambilight. At first I expected ambilight to be a bit of a gimmick, but damn it is great when you see it in action. The net tv function really is not of much interest to me as I have better internet connectivity via other means, bit its nice to have I guess.

I whole heartedly recommend the Philips shop, they will see you right on both advice and price.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.