Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Masked Man wrote: »
    Ok last post:

With any team, BB has a higher chance of winning a SB than Tom Coughlin as well as a higher chance of winning multiple SBs over the next decade.

Here's my philosophy: The champion is the best. It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,085 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

matthew8 wrote: »
    The goal of the coach is to win a superbowl. That is all that is asked of him. Tom Coughlin did that last year, Bill Belichick did not. Therefore Tom Coughlin in my mind is the better coach. Belichick is still awesome though.
    The goal of all coaches is to get to the playoffs every season which gives them the chance to win the Superbowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Failure to realise the meaning of power rankings is hilarious.

Obviously BB is the best coach in the league. It's not a question. The guy is amazing.

Every little debate turns to childish bull on here for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Here's my philosophy: The champion is the best. It's that simple.
    lol bull****. this years winner of the champions league would lose to barcelona 90/100. People can get lucky.

You're just doing this for a reaction. Thank god for ignore

eagle eye wrote: »
    The goal of the coach is to win a superbowl. That is all that is asked of him. Tom Coughlin did that last year, Bill Belichick did not. Therefore Tom Coughlin in my mind is the better coach. Belichick is still awesome though.
    The goal of all coaches is to get to the playoffs every season which gives them the chance to win the Superbowl.

The goal of the coach is to win the Superbowl.

Play offs are nice but everybody wants to be champions.

Getting the ring is the goal.

• Advertisement

Sure. The regular season goal is to get to the postseason. On that count Bill Belichick is tied with John Harbaugh. But a good regular season is worth little if the team doesn't win in the postseason. Bill Belichick is clearly excellent at that too, but Coughlin has the edge.

Arawn wrote: »
    lol bull****. this years winner of the champions league would lose to barcelona 90/100. People can get lucky.

You're just doing this for a reaction. Thank god for ignore
    I've decided thats the only option as well. He just continued with the same rubbish so I've joined you by adding him to my very small ignore list.

It's amazing how high an opinion the Patriots fans have of their team. If I say Welker's not elite, I'm a troll, if I say Brady's not top 10 all time, I'm a troll, if I say Bill Belichick is not the best coach in the league, I'm a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Failure to realise the meaning of power rankings is hilarious.

Obviously BB is the best coach in the league. It's not a question. The guy is amazing.

Every little debate turns to childish bull on here for whatever reason.

See this argument went from who should ranked higher on Power rankings to who is the better coach. And usually conversations steer like that when someone like Matthew8 posts nonsense. It steers the whole direction of the conversation away from the original point.

Power rankings vary from person to person depending on who is making them and what parameters are set. I would actaully love to see what parameters Fortenbaugh used to set his Head Coach Power ranking to be honest before I write his 2012 one off.

Don't see why Matthew8 gets so much criticism for supporting different beliefs.

Rubbish like that will kill a forum with good potential like this.

• Advertisement

It's amazing how high an opinion the Patriots fans have of their team. If I say Welker's not elite, I'm a troll, if I say Brady's not top 10 all time, I'm a troll, if I say Bill Belichick is not the best coach in the league, I'm a troll.

No the problem with you is every post you create is clearly looking for reaction and you generally can't even back up most of your opinion with any sort of logic or reasoning. When someone then put a proper debate to you, you can't even have a proper debate with them even though you brought the idea or opinion to the table. Oh and you always come off as a Patriot hater. There is guys on here that are clear Pats haters and have very little to say about the Pats but they don't come off the way you do. They stick to fact and generally give good arguments to their opinion.

Don't see why Matthew8 gets so much criticism for supporting different beliefs.

Rubbish like that will kill a forum with good potential like this.

Yeah. I know what I post will not neccessarily be popular or right, but I don't get the apparent need to jump on me if someone disagrees with me. What ever happened to respect?

CoachTO wrote: »
    No the problem with you is every post you create is clearly looking for reaction and you generally can't even back up most of your opinion with any sort of logic or reasoning. When someone then put a proper debate to you, you can't even have a proper debate with them even though you brought the idea or opinion to the table. Oh and you always come off as a Patriot hater. There is guys on here that are clear Pats haters and have very little to say about the Pats but they don't come off the way you do. They stick to fact and generally give good arguments to their opinion.

It is called the banter thread, you know....

It is called the banter thread, you know....

Yeah alright you keep banging that drum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Why all debates seem to turn into Giants fans against Pats fans is odd.

I heard someone say Zoltan Mesko is a better punter than Weatherford. fight fight fight :)

HigginsJ wrote: »

I heard someone say Zoltan Mesko is a better punter than Weatherford. fight fight fight :)

My beef with Matthew8 has nothing to do with the team I support. I generally think he comes off as nothing more than a troll who will contradict everything for the reaction and not back it up with any proper discussion.

both teams know they wont beat packers this year so are living in the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

CoachTO wrote: »
    My beef with Matthew8 has nothing to do with the team I support. I generally think he comes off as nothing more than a troll who will contradict everything for the reaction and not back it up with any proper discussion.

Fair enough. You shouldnt let it bother you.

I put the list up cos wondering what people though about Schwartz being that highly ranked and it turn into another Giants-Pats debate.

Fair enough. You shouldnt let it bother you.

Oh it doesn't bother me, if he want to keep throwing the curve ball with his mad views he will get a debate everytime. At the end of the day isn't that what discussions boards are for.
    I put the list up cos wondering what people though about Schwartz being that highly ranked and it turn into another Giants-Pats debate.

As I said in my other post would love to see what criteria Hartenbaugh uses to put Schwartz above Coughlin and BB.

It's pretty hard to make a point when every second post is a personal attack on you.

• Advertisement

It's pretty hard to make a point when every second post is a personal attack on you.

Personal attacks? Yeah alright dude. Good to see though you can give but you can't take. On more than a few occasions you took jabs at me also but hey if you don't like what I say report me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Pats against the world as usual... it's gotta be the worlds fault...

I think BB is the best HC in the league but it is certainly something that can be debated. Would he be the coach he is without Tom Terrific under centre??? Defo debatable.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Pats against the world as usual... it's gotta be the worlds fault...

Cool story.
    I think BB is the best HC in the league but it is certainly something that can be debated. Would he be the coach he is without Tom Terrific under centre??? Defo debatable.

Would Tom Coughlin have won his 2 without Eli under centre. Would Mike McCarthy have won his without Aaron Rodgers under centre. I could go on on and through the years playing the same game.

But in the case of Coughlin traded with the Chargers to get the disgruntled Manning and BB pulled the trigger on Brady in the 6th round. Something people over look when they use the excuse "Oh would this coach done that without this player blah blah blah"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

In terms of coaching, BB is not what he was 10 years ago. When NE beat the Rams a decade ago, his defense was an absolute masterclass. Genius, but tbh, that side of him has slipped badly. Where has the Pats D been ranked the last few years? Sure, he's putting all the pieces in place for a consistently great team, and is the de facto GM, and is genius at the broader things when it comes to a football team. But as a coach, he's slipped.
    Can't really see why people aren't even allowed dare challenge his title as best HC, when TC has led his team to 2 SB since BB won his last. It doesn't have to be true, but jesus, let people discuss it at least.

davyjose wrote: »
    In terms of coaching, BB is not what he was 10 years ago. When NE beat the Rams a decade ago, his defense was an absolute masterclass. Genius, but tbh, that side of him has slipped badly. Where has the Pats D been ranked the last few years? Sure, he's putting all the pieces in place for a consistently great team, and is the de facto GM, and is genius at the broader things when it comes to a football team. But as a coach, he's slipped.
    Can't really see why people aren't even allowed dare challenge his title as best HC, when TC has led his team to 2 SB since BB won his last. It doesn't have to be true, but jesus, let people discuss it at least.
    31st last year and got to the super bowl. Same philosophy as some other teams in other sports...sure you'll score but we'll score more.

I'm hoping you had booze on you(plenty of it) when you posted this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Pyjamarama wrote: »

And he drafted Tom Brady, and gave him a spot on the roster. Does he not get credit for that. Never mind the argument of would Tom Brady be Tom Brady without BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I'm hoping you had booze on you(plenty of it) when you posted this.
    Nice response. Please tell me why NE's defense is so poor, and who is responsible for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Thoughts on Pollard's comments:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828e2f90/article/ravens-pollard-football-wont-exist-in-20-30-years?module=HP11_content_stream
    Bernard Pollard believes the end is near for the NFL. The hard-hitting Baltimore Ravens safety has watched professional football evolve with bigger, faster players and vows the violent nature of the sport cannot be tempered by continual rule changes. He believes the equation doesn't work.

"I just truly believe, another 20, 30 years -- I don't even think football will even be in existence anymore," Pollard told KILT-AM in Houston, via CBSSports.com. "... We all know what this game is about. We know and understand that it's a violent sport."

Pollard is persona non grata in New England after wiping out the knee of quarterback Tom Brady in 2008, hovering close when Wes Welker tore his ACL during the 2009 season, and injuring tight end Rob Gronkowski in January's AFC Championship Game.

Pollard is unapologetic about the way he plays, and he's not alone.

"If somebody is going to get a knockout shot, OK, at some point somebody is going to get hit anyway," Pollard said. "If you end up getting knocked out because you're trying to get a knockout shot, it's either kill or be killed. Which one are you going to do? This is football. It's not powder puff. When Nike unveiled their new uniforms, I'm surprised they didn't have flags on the side. ... You're taking away the game of football. If a quarterback throws an interception, get his butt down or run to the sidelines. If you're going to try to make a tackle, I'm going to look for you. I promise you, I'm going to look for you."

Pollard suggested NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has been hypocritical in his crusade to inject safety measures into an inherently dangerous sport. Pollard called last week's draft "a meat market," where teams openly seek out the strongest, fastest, most aggressive players available. Nobody is looking for safer, think-before-you-tackle defenders.

Pollard doesn't believe anybody attached to the game is about to turn down the piles of money flowing in.

"When it's all said and done, (Goodell) and (NFL Players Association executive director) DeMaurice Smith said they would take a dollar (in salary) if we were locked out," Pollard said. "We were locked out. I guarantee they didn't take a dollar. Ask them what their salaries were. Everybody wants to talk about these players lying to Roger Goodell. What about them lying to us? What about them lying to you?"

Strong words, as always, from Pollard, who admitted he doesn't want his son to play the game he plays, only to endure the fierce trail of physical ailments that come with it: "I don't want him to have go through it. I don't want to see my son with a concussion."

• Advertisement

Nice response. Please tell me why NE's defense is so poor, and who is responsible for that?
    I'll discuss New England's defense when you tell me what team has the best win/loss record in football over the last two/three/four/five seasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement