Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

NFL feature about Tebow last season. Enjoyable watch:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Aaron Berry is definitely up there as one of the most retarded NFL players. Lions cut his ass.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8191512/detroit-lions-cut-cb-aaron-berry-latest-arrest-source-says

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

CoachTO wrote: »
    Aaron Berry is definitely up there as one of the most retarded NFL players. Lions cut his ass.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8191512/detroit-lions-cut-cb-aaron-berry-latest-arrest-source-says

Lions seems to be having major problems with players getting arrested. Leshoure, Culbreath, Fairley, Berry all arrested, then you have fighting between Young and Delmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Good move by Detroit. Time to adopt a zero tolerance approach. Might teach some of the other clowns a lesson. Look, how many arrests do you see at New England, or Pittsburgh, or Indy under Polian? Coincidence that these teams had repeat success?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

To e honest I wouldn't be suppressed to see the lions embrace a bad boy us against the world image ala the raiders of old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

nerd69 wrote: »
    To e honest I wouldn't be suppressed to see the lions embrace a bad boy us against the world image ala the raiders of old

Well the league does need a new Rayduhs with Davis gone. And Detroit have been massively penalised recently. Only problem- the defense sucks.

matthew8 wrote: »

Well the league does need a new Rayduhs with Davis gone. And Detroit have been massively penalised recently. Only problem- the defense sucks.
    The defense will get better there line is class and that's the best foundation for any d at least the lions will make the playoffs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

It'll backfire. Goodell is too much of a stubborn hardass to allow that. He'll issue suspensions like they're candy.

Just re-watched the week 1 opening game between the Packers and Saints. Epic game, the second best of the season (after Saints V 49ers divisional playoff game IMO).

Cowboys V Giants week 1 opener is 44 days away now :)

How do you see the week 1 games going? Any potential upsets for you? Here's the points spread, I can't format it so will just post the link:

http://www.footballlocks.com/nfl_point_spreads.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

The defense will get better there line is class and that's the best foundation for any d at least the lions will make the playoffs :)

I don't know about the defense becoming better.
    Yeah the d-line is good, but the secondary is now in horrendous shape after Berry made an idiotic mistake to get himself cut (which I agree with by the way).
    To go opposite Houston, there is a choice of: a Colts cast-off Jacob Lacey, 2 rookies drafted in the 3rd and 5th rounds or Alphonso Smith who is an absolute liability back there.
    I'm hoping someone is picked up in a trade or a camp casualty because any decent QB would torch that secondary.

• Advertisement

These 2 snaps :pac:

Safe to say that's a 3rd and long :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Paully D wrote: »
    These 2 snaps :pac:

Safe to say that's a 3rd and long :pac:

Why the hell did they take a safety on 3rd down?

Why not punt on 3rd down or take a small run up the middle and then punt on 4th down?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hazys wrote: »

Why not punt on 3rd down or take a small run up the middle and then punt on 4th down?

Your short run and then punt sounds like the best option alright, but 3rd and 57 :eek:. I reckon their confidence was so shot, it was just a case of the coach wanting them to gtfo the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Hazys wrote: »

I would assume it would have something to do with resultant field position for the opposition. A punt from your own end zone is not gonna get far while a free kick from the 20/30 yd line will go further.

Lionbacker wrote: »
    I don't know about the defense becoming better.
    Yeah the d-line is good, but the secondary is now in horrendous shape after Berry made an idiotic mistake to get himself cut (which I agree with by the way).
    To go opposite Houston, there is a choice of: a Colts cast-off Jacob Lacey, 2 rookies drafted in the 3rd and 5th rounds or Alphonso Smith who is an absolute liability back there.
    I'm hoping someone is picked up in a trade or a camp casualty because any decent QB would torch that secondary.

ye should have picked up asante samuel for a 4th

On the whole arrests issue, have a look at this video of the cops arresting Dion Lewis of the Eagles:

http://ocnnreport.com/2012/07/24/charges-dismissed-against-eagles-dion-lewis-after-brutal-arrest-video-surfaces/

He and his brother were accused of pulling a fire alarm and using excessive force to try and get into a hotel. The video above shows them just walk in, before cops draw guns and pepper spray them, and then dragging them out onto a concrete floor outside.

All charges have since been dropped against him after the video surfaced.

Of course not all players are innocent, but I'd imagine a lot of them have to deal with cops thinking they're great because they get to go on a power trip with famous people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

ye should have picked up asante samuel for a 4th

Think the Lions secondary get's burned enough as it is!

Think the Lions secondary get's burned enough as it is!

there gona get burned anyway at least with asante they get a few picks a year with the pressure the d-line will provide he could help a lot this lions team is a serious team megatron and stafford will score points the d-line will stop the run all they need is something to get the qb thinking twice

there gona get burned anyway at least with asante they get a few picks a year with the pressure the d-line will provide he could help a lot this lions team is a serious team megatron and stafford will score points the d-line will stop the run all they need is something to get the qb thinking twice

I don't know about stopping the run. 2nd worst team in the league versus the run last year, haven't seen any personnel changes to suggest they'll improve.

• Advertisement

I don't know about stopping the run. 2nd worst team in the league versus the run last year, haven't seen any personnel changes to suggest they'll improve.

i think the extra year and full offseason will do fairley and suh a world of good

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

i think the extra year and full offseason will do fairley and suh a world of good
    The weakness is the LB corp for me. I thought they really needed to address that in the offseason but they didn't.

i think the extra year and full offseason will do fairley ... a world of good

Clearly :pac:

Clearly :pac:

bah whats a bit of aluding police between friends :D

who should Visanthe Shiancoe go to lads the pats or eagles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

It's my week of holidays off work and given that I couldn't be bothered heading away, I've just started work on a Fantasy Football excel sheet for the keeper with rankings, last years points etc seeing as I've not much clue on it and want to draft it my way.

I'm definitely losing the plot with this offseason.

who should Visanthe Shiancoe go to lads the pats or eagles

Pats signed him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Pats signed him

This is taking the piss.

matthew8 wrote: »
    This is taking the piss.

Why because a TE wants to go to a team that has a real chance at a bowl and that is renowned for its Tight Ends. Also the amount of competition there will push guys to be their best. With Fells and Ballard Injured it means Shiancoe is going to get a lot of snaps in camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Why because a TE wants to go to a team that has a real chance at a bowl and that is renowned for its Tight Ends. Also the amount of competition there will push guys to be their best. With Fells and Ballard Injured it means Shiancoe is going to get a lot of snaps in camp.

Realistically your going to get feck all snaps playing behind your two TE's unless injury strikes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement