Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

CoachTO wrote: »
    Why because a TE wants to go to a team that has a real chance at a bowl and that is renowned for its Tight Ends. Also the amount of competition there will push guys to be their best. With Fells and Ballard Injured it means Shiancoe is going to get a lot of snaps in camp.

What way do you think he will be used? I like Shiancoe, think if he can recapture the form of a few years ago when Favre was with the Vikes , he could be a serious weapon. But, will the Pats utilize a 3 TE set and use him like they did Alge Crumpler (as Shiancoe is a decent blocker) or continue with Gronk/Hernandez, with Shiancoe coming in when they get tired?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

It's taking the piss because the Patriots now have 4 TEs who started last year, and one of them is the best in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

TaosHum wrote: »
    What way do you think he will be used? I like Shiancoe, think if he can recapture the form of a few years ago when Favre was with the Vikes , he could be a serious weapon. But, will the Pats utilize a 3 TE set and use him like they did Alge Crumpler (as Shiancoe is a decent blocker) or continue with Gronk/Hernandez, with Shiancoe coming in when they get tired?

Hernandez will be used more like a WR than a TE and Gronk + 2 of the other TE will be used as actually TE. Gronk is a good run blocker but guys like Shiancoe and Fells are perfect run blockers. Fells and Shiancoe are only on 1 year contracts and Ballard is out for the season anyways.

So realistically we only have Gronk, Hernandez, Fells and Shiancoe. Fells will be more run blocker. Shiancoe will back up Gronk as a dual threat and Hernandez will be played in slot or in some made position where his size speed and hands can be used.

Also as Corveous mentioned on the Pats thread when we lost Gronk we had no real cover last year and Fells and Shiancoe will be insurance just in case.

matthew8 wrote: »
    It's taking the piss because the Patriots now have 4 TEs who started last year, and one of them is the best in the game.

So tell me again how is that taking the piss? The Pats are one of the best teams in the league and Shiancoe and Fells and Ballard all knew what they were getting themselves into. Remember they had options and chose the Pats.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

So tell me again how is that taking the piss? The Pats are one of the best teams in the league and Shiancoe and Fells and Ballard all knew what they were getting themselves into. Remember they had options and chose the Pats.

might be a bit over sensitive to matthew there TO. I think he means the Pats are taking the piss by improving what was already the best TE set in the league.

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »
    might be a bit over sensitive to matthew there TO. I think he means the Pats are taking the piss by improving what was already the best TE set in the league.

What? Over sensitive? I asked him how its taking the piss because as it stands those player chose to play for the Pats behind the best TE. So if teams improving and backing up a certain position is taking the piss then I guess the Pats are guilty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

What? Over sensitive? I asked him how its taking the piss because as it stands those player chose to play for the Pats behind the best TE. So if teams improving and backing up a certain position is taking the piss then I guess the Pats are guilty.

Well I read it as being a good thing, not slating the Pats or players. :o

someone makes a really good play, 'ah he's taking the piss', meaning that was an excellent move sir, well played.

If I'm wrong then I will gladly come back and shout at matthew!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The Pats changed the game last year with Gronk and Hernandez but we spent most of the year with only 2 TEs on the roster. So even tho we had epic TEs but we were ridiculously short in depth...this year is going to be different.

I see the Pats playing with a lot of 3 TE sets with 1 WR and 1 RB. The 3 TEs could easily go from 3 blocking TEs to 3 receiving TEs in an instant, making a massive match up problem for the defense.

How do you defend that?

If you put 3 LBs on the TEs, they could easily turn into receiving TEs and you are in trouble.
    If you put 3 DBs on the TEs, they could easily turn into blocking TEs and you are in trouble.

Defenses will need to find defenders who are as big and as athletic as our 3 TEs and i can only think of a couple of LBs and Safetys that fit that bill and there is not a lot of them and there certainly isnt 3 of them on the same team.

You should know me by now. Taking the piss isn't always a bad thing. Like bruschi said it's a "well played" sort of comment. It's funny, because the Patriots now have 5 TEs on their roster (though not all healthy) who would start for many teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

RE: The Pats TE situation and for reasons of laziness, I'll just quote what I said in the Pats thread earlier....
    After last year and the Gronk injury, I think Bill wants better cover in the department. Because it did seem a bit sparse once Gronk went down. So the Patriots now have four experienced tight ends on their 90-man roster. With Shiancoe joining Gronkowski, Hernandez and Daniel Fells (who starts training camp on PUP). Hernandez played 70% of the time last season virtually as a receiver, so is he going to move more into that role for the coming season? Jake Ballard obviously won't be figuring in the equation this season and then there is UDFA Tyler Urban. Six will in reality become four after camp, which I think is just about right for cover ect.
    Hernandez is just an incredibly versatile player who offers the team so much. He had a fantastic season last season and probably did get enough credit for it. Gronk bringing his performance as a TE into the stratosphere probably didn't help though. But Hernandez is more than a TE, I really hope they move early and sort out a new contract at the end of the season. The thought of Gronk & Ballard lining at TE in 2013 and Hernandez covering the slot, is not a prospect many teams would like to face at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I don't have a problem with them signing all these Tight Ends. BUT... is it not kinda crazy that the Patriots management is investing so much in the one position ? Its kinda like my Carolina Panthers. We have DeAngelo Williams and Jonny Stewart. Thenn we go and sign Mike Tolbert for some reason.

Out of interest, how deep is the Pats WR group this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its not the WR group on its own.

We have Welker, Lloyd, Gaffney, Branch and then you have Stallworth and Edelman.

But then you have Gronk and Hernandez as well and a third TE.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Gents, could you kindly recommend some JETS twitter accounts worth following for a friend please?

Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Eric LeGrand retires a Buc
    As the Buccaneers take the field for training camp, they’re already short a player.

Although by announcing his retirement, defensive tackle Eric LeGrand became a “Buc for life.”

LeGrand, who was paralyzed while playing for Bucs coach Greg Schiano at Rutgers, was signed in May as an inspirational gesture. But Thursday, he was officially placed on the reserve-retired list to create a roster spot.

“Making it to the NFL was my dream. But now I want to see my team as strong as possible at the start of Training Camp,” LeGrand said, via the team’s official website. “I’m a Buc for life.”

LeGrand has spent time with the Bucs this summer, giving an emotional speech in the locker room to his teammates. He also plans to come back to Tampa often to continue to work with the team.

But his primary goal will be continuing his rehabilitation in hopes of walking again someday, and inspiring others with spinal injuries.

We wish him well as he pursues both goals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

The Pittsburgh Steelers aren't messing around with wide receiver Mike Wallace.

General manager Kevin Colbert confirmed Thursday the Steelers will not progress with contract negotiations until Wallace signs his $2.7 million first-round tender and reports to training camp.

Additionally, the team has pulled any prior offers its made to Wallace.

"I think once we made that decision we're in a different mode and we would have to address any new negotiation if we get to that point," Colbert said, via Scout.com.

The message is clear: You want a new deal? Get in the building. Only then does the conversation continue. Since Wallace isn't under contract, he can't be fined for missing time. And, unlike the case with players under the franchise tag, there's no deadline to negotiate a long-term pact.

The Steelers still have the right to slash Wallace's tender at this point, but it appears they've drawn the line there.

"We never planned on using the tender or reducing the tender as leverage," Colbert said. "I think that just shows what you think about the player, and it gives you a launching point for a long-term deal. But again we weren't able to conclude that, so we move on."

Wallace led the Steelers with 72 catches for 1,193 yards and eight touchdowns last season, and is easily Ben Roethlisberger's most dynamic target. The Steelers need him, but they also run their business in a specific and unflinching way. This isn't a stalemate Wallace can win.

From NFL.com. What is the story with this contract negotiations? I know it's likely he is going to turn up midway through camp but if he doesn't then does that make him a free agent or has he time left on his contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »
    Top 20 games of 2011:

http://www.nfl.com/qs/top20games/2011/Baltimore-Ravens-at-Pittsburgh-Steelers.jsp

Some great viewing there, especially for those with GamePass who can watch the full games again. It's only at #8 now with the next 7 to be revealed over the coming days, but the list so far is:

#20) Panthers @ Cardinals
    #19) Packers @ Chiefs
    #18) Giants @ 49ers
    #17) Saints @ Titans
    #16) Chargers @ Chiefs
    #15) Texans @ Bengals
    #14) Bears @ Broncos
    #13) Saints @ Falcons
    #12) Super Bowl
    #11) Ravens @ Steelers
    #10) Packers @ Giants
    #9) Cowboys @ 49ers
    #8) Raiders @ Texans

What do you think of the list so far?

Another good game I've recently watched that should be on this list is Cardinals @ Ravens from week 8 IIRC. 27-24, last second FG for the Ravens to win after coming back from 21 down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

From NFL.com. What is the story with this contract negotiations? I know it's likely he is going to turn up midway through camp but if he doesn't then does that make him a free agent or has he time left on his contract?

I cannot believe some team didn't pony up draft pick(s) for Mike Wallace. Can't remember what exact cost was but remember wanting the Pats to go for it!
    This looks like a classic case of collusion by the teams.

I cannot believe some team didn't pony up draft pick(s) for Mike Wallace. Can't remember what exact cost was but remember wanting the Pats to go for it!

Would have loved to see the Ravens go for him too. Exactly the type of player we need and nothing would be sweeter than taking the Steelers main threat from them at the same time :pac:

Paully D wrote: »
    Would have loved to see the Ravens go for him too. Exactly the type of player we need and nothing would be sweeter than taking the Steelers main threat from them at the same time :pac:

Mike Wallace would be nice, but I'm sure we've given him plenty of cheap shots and mightn't be his favourite team and I'd rather have Courtney Upshaw than him. It would also be tough with the cap room and the idea of convincing Cam Cameron to use a 3WR set without hell freezing over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

First rounder.

"A first-round tender means that if another team offers Mike Wallace more money than the Steelers want to, or can offer him in return, than the Steelers get that team's first-round draft pick in return."

You'd think a team down the end of the first round such as the 49ers (instead of AJ Jenkins) would have gone for him.

The Ravens would be a tough one because, fair enough, you're picking up a player from divisional rivals but you're also giving them a second first round pick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Mega lolzz
    Adam Schefter :
    Most awkward moment of day: a reporter asking Mark Sanchez a question, calling him "Tim". To which Sanchez responded, "I'm Mark."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

First rounder.

"A first-round tender means that if another team offers Mike Wallace more money than the Steelers want to, or can offer him in return, than the Steelers get that team's first-round draft pick in return."

You'd think a team down the end of the first round such as the 49ers (instead of AJ Jenkins) would have gone for him.

The Ravens would be a tough one because, fair enough, you're picking up a player from divisional rivals but you're also giving them a second first round pick.

I think the 49ers did look into it and he certainly would have been worth the 30th pick but he was looking for crazy money from what I remember.

Link:
    http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/the-49ers-inquired-about-mike-wallace-but.html

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

The main reasons teams didn't offer a first round pick for Wallace is because he wants a contract that is along the lines of Larry Fitzgerald's 7 year 120 million contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Mega lolzz
    Adam Schefter :
    Most awkward moment of day: a reporter asking Mark Sanchez a question, calling him "Tim". To which Sanchez responded, "I'm Mark."

I didnt find that funny, found it pathetic and crass journalism.

RGIII wrote: »
    The main reasons teams didn't offer a first round pick for Wallace is because he wants a contract that is along the lines of Larry Fitzgerald's 7 year 120 million contract.

Exactly this as much as I wanted the Pats to move for him we would have given up way too much to get him and with Gronk and Welker at the time looking for new contract it didn't make sense to over spend on Wallace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I think it was either Greg Bedard or Mike Reiss who wrote a great article about how a speedster like Wallace would not be as valuable to Brady as he would be to other quarterbacks, hence the Pats were never really interested. I'll try root it out when im on a laptop rather than my phone.

Browns are being sold, thank god. Hopefully Mike Holmgren is on the way out. Heckert should stay though and be given more power.

I've been watching a lot of the post season from last year and one thing that really struck me once again was just how good Eli Manning was on 3rd down. Even from say, week 17 against Dallas when the Giants needed a win he really stepped up on those 3rd downs.

However, I haven't really done him justice by saying the above as he also averaged the most yards per passing attempt on 3rd down (10.2) during the regular season and had 13 pass plays of at least 30 yards on 3rd down. No one else had more than nine.

Obviously we knew it already but he was absolutely fantastic on 3rd downs last year and that was a huge reason why the Giants are Super Bowl champions. Just thought it was worth mentioning again anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

matthew8 wrote: »
    Browns are being sold, thank god. Hopefully Mike Holmgren is on the way out. Heckert should stay though and be given more power.

As a Ravens fan, I would have thought this would be devastating news to you? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement