Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,133 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have no intention of answering any more posts. For a start you didn't show me anything in that post I didn't respond to. We used a RBBC approach the last couple of seasons so clearly nobody is going to have a huge portion of the yardage but Maroney had more than 1/3 of it and he is only a two down player at most as you know because Faulk is always in on third down or Morris sometimes if its 2 yards or less thats required, and in long yardage earlier downs like a 1st and 15(and we had loads of them last year) its going to be Faulk too.

And you suggesting that I don't like Lawfirm is incorrect. I like every player in a Patriots uniform but I just don't see him as good enough to be a starter on this team and that could easily happen this year if they don't bring in somebody. I will be delighted if Taylor and Morris go through the season without injury but its unlikely to happen based on the last couple of seasons they have had.

This is best left for a few weeks until he gets used to the Denver offense and then we will see how he does behind a decent run blocking OL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

eagle eye wrote: »
    I have no intention of answering any more posts. .

So you are going to ignore the evidence that shows we have had a capable running game and our line have done a decent job getting our backs some room. The stats dont lie in this case and for you to choose to ignore them shows me that you can't see passed your own opinion on this one.

Your posts seriously come off as I like Maroney a lot and he has no problems and it is in fact our o-line that is causing his dancing in the backfield and I wont entertain the facts that show me otherwise.

Simple fact Maroney has dancing issues. If he fixes them then he will succeed and fair play to him if he does. If he doesn't fix them Im sure you will then go on to blame Denvers O-line for Maroney not getting solid yardage.

So you are going to ignore the evidence that shows we have had a capable running game and our line have done a decent job getting our backs some room. The stats dont lie in this case and for you to choose to ignore them shows me that you can't see passed your own opinion on this one.

Your posts seriously come off as I like Maroney a lot and he has no problems and it is in fact our o-line that is causing his dancing in the backfield and I wont entertain the facts that show me otherwise.

Simple fact Maroney has dancing issues. If he fixes them then he will succeed and fair play to him if he does. If he doesn't fix them Im sure you will then go on to blame Denvers O-line for Maroney not getting solid yardage.
    Please stop, if he doesn't have to dance behind the OL because they are opening holes you are leaving yourself the option to say he fixed that when the actual reason will be that there are holes there for him so he doesn't have to dance.

Please stop, if he doesn't have to dance behind the OL because they are opening holes you are leaving yourself the option to say he fixed that when the actual reason will be that there are holes ther for him so he doesn't have to dance.

I already rubbished your theory on this 2 posts ago and to be honest with you your reasoning for is dancing is ridiculous at best. No RB should be dancing in the backfield waiting for a hole to exist. If a hole doesn't materlise they are told to try punch through and get some yards or keep moving forward to look for space. They are told never to hang around the back field.

Look at the other backs similar to Maroney i.e Jones-Drew when a hole collapses on him do you see him dancing in the backfield? No you fooking don't, you will see him pushing forward look for the next hole to open or he will try break to the outside if the inside holes collapse.

You are reaching to try explain a fault in Maroneys play and its sad to be honest.

I already rubbished your theory on this 2 posts ago and to be honest with you your reasoning for is dancing is ridiculous at best. No RB should be dancing in the backfield waiting for a hole to exist. If a hole doesn't materlise they are told to try punch through and get some yards or keep moving forward to look for space. They are told never to hang around the back field.

Look at the other backs similar to Maroney i.e Jones-Drew when a hole collapses on him do you see him dancing in the backfield? No you fooking don't, you will see him pushing forward look for the next hole to open or he will try break to the outside if the inside holes collapse.

You are reaching to try explain a fault in Maroneys play and its sad to be honest.
    No I'm not reaching. I'm saying there is not a problem with him, the problem was with the OL the last couple of years. I even pointed out what happened when Vollmer was at left tackle but you just ingnored that.

I'm saying he will be do well in Denver and that you won't see him dancing as much because he will have a very good run block OL.

You are saying that if he stops dancing then he will work out just to cover your backside in case he lights it up in Denver. I'm not trying to cover anything, I'm saying it as I see it.

• Advertisement

No I'm not reaching. I'm saying there is not a problem with him, the problem was with the OL the last couple of years. I even pointed out what happened when Vollmer was at left tackle but you just ingnored that.

Vollmer is a better run blocker big deal. Why would I touch on it when I don't think the problem is as extreme as you are making it out to be.
    I'm saying there will be do well in Denver and that you won't see him dancing as much because he will have a very good run block OL.

We will see. An O-line who have gotten denver less yards on the ground combined than the Pats over the last 3 seasons.
    You are saying that if he stops dancing then he will work out just to cover your backside in case he lights it up in Denver. I'm not trying to cover anything, I'm saying it as I see it.

Oh trying to discredit what I say now? Shows how much you actually read when people type I have been saying that about Maroney for years. If he fixes his dancing he would be a solid back. In fact he showed he can go without dancing and as I already said.Take 2007 he had a solid year started off well then went back to old ways and then towards the end of the season fixed his problem and did well. Same O-line that year all season long. Unlike you I don't dislike a player individually but I can see his faults. He is frustrating to watch and has ability and I have always said that. He fixes his dancing and he is good to go.

Oh trying to discredit what I say now? Shows how much you actually read when people type I have been saying that about Maroney for years. If he fixes his dancing he would be a solid back. In fact he showed he can go without dancing and as I already said he fell back into it in 2007. Unlike you I don't dislike a player individually but I can see his faults. He is frustrating to watch and has ability and I have always said that. He fixes his dancing and he is good to go.
    And I'm saying he only dances to keep himself ready to move when the hole opens if the hole opens.

He won't need to do that in Denver as often because the hole will be there when he gets up to the line.

And I'm saying he only dances to keep himself ready to move when the hole opens if the hole opens.

How many time do we have to go over this before you realise no running back should EVER dance in the backfield regardless of what hole is open. How you can't see that as a fault on the back whether its Maroney or Adrian Peterson they shouldn't do it. At least see that point and maybe you will see what I am trying to point out to you. The fact you can't see it as a problem tells me you wont get it though.
    He won't need to do that in Denver as often because the hole will be there when he gets up to the line.

We will see. He has to fix the above problem first just in case Denver don't open those holes for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Is this the Patriots thread:D

I have to worry bout with ye coming to town on Sunday without having 2 pages of Patriot bull****e too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm a big fan of podcasts, listen to all sorts and not just sports

ESPN Football Today is great
    Was a fan of Jeremy Green (before he throw his career away and ruined his life),
    Matt Williamson is calmer and infinitely better

Ross Tucker is the new host too, gonna do three shows a week
    Bit of a journeyman, I can say that as he even said himself he wasn't that good so kudos to the guy, he can laugh at himself.
    Played for the Pats, we won't hold that against him :P
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Tucker

I don't get into fantasy football
    http://subscribers.footballguys.com/podcast/
    Cecil Lammy and Sigmund Bloom produce hours and hours every week.
    It's alright, somewhat good though I gloss over the fantasy football bit of it.

Both of these are on itunes.
    I religiously listen to the ESPN one, I'd say most of the regulars here listen too.

ESPN do a college football podcast too which is good, also on itunes
    I know very little about college football, I don't even have a team to support and don't understand the conferences or how bowls work, am trying to learn

But if you're a newbie, sure check these out, free so no harm done

Now I'm off to wikipedia to read up on college football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

My 2c would be simple: the Pats running game has never really caught my eye, but ... McDaniels knows Maroney, and the Denver/Pats O-lines, better than the rest of us, and he clearly sees something.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

I'm a big fan of podcasts, listen to all sorts and not just sports

ESPN Football Today is great
    Was a fan of Jeremy Green (before he throw his career away and ruined his life),
    Matt Williamson is calmer and infinitely better

Ross Tucker is the new host too, gonna do three shows a week
    Bit of a journeyman, I can say that as he even said himself he wasn't that good so kudos to the guy, he can laugh at himself.
    Played for the Pats, we won't hold that against him :P
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Tucker

I don't get into fantasy football
    http://subscribers.footballguys.com/podcast/
    Cecil Lammy and Sigmund Bloom produce hours and hours every week.
    It's alright, somewhat good though I gloss over the fantasy football bit of it.

Both of these are on itunes.
    I religiously listen to the ESPN one, I'd say most of the regulars here listen too.

ESPN do a college football podcast too which is good, also on itunes
    I know very little about college football, I don't even have a team to support and don't understand the conferences or how bowls work, am trying to learn

But if you're a newbie, sure check these out, free so no harm done

Now I'm off to wikipedia to read up on college football

Football Today is great plus it seems to be on 5 days a week now....the new guy is good too.

I used to listen to NFL Rants and Raves but (and I dont want to criticise too harshly coz they are amateurs) they basically talked about football for about 20 minutes of their 2 hour podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

ill keep it short about Moroney, i liked him, i think he has plenty of talent and can go far in the game, but he was too indecisive for us and i dont view him as a big loss at this stage

i spent most of last season defending him so it will be nice to have a break :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Anybody else getting fed up with the Patriots!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Wompa1 wrote: »
    on thread you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

roflbot-wSmy.jpg

Adam wrote: »
    on thread you mean?

More so the following they get here. It's like with Celtic only the connection shouldn't be as strong. I can't believe that all the supporters are people who have family from Boston.

I like meeting Irish people around that support different teams, it makes it cooler than soccer for me. I know 2 guys that follow the Ravens, 1 that follows The Colts, A couple of Giants fan, a Packers fan, A Bengals Fan and I'm a Bucs fan. If you go to the games in London too you'll see mostly jerseys for the teams playing but last time I went we managed to see every jersey except a Lions one. I thought it was pretty cool.

Just a bit worrying that some fans may go for the Pats because of some false Irish pride. If they want to follow an Irish team I'd imagine The Steelers would be closer with their owner...Could it be the fact alot of people starting watching when they started to win?

More so the following they get here. It's like with Celtic only the connection shouldn't be as strong. I can't believe that all the supporters are people who have family from Boston.

I like meeting Irish people around that support different teams, it makes it cooler than soccer for me. I know 2 guys that follow the Ravens, 1 that follows The Colts, A couple of Giants fan, a Packers fan, A Bengals Fan and I'm a Bucs fan. If you go to the games in London too you'll see mostly jerseys for the teams playing but last time I went we managed to see every jersey except a Lions one. I thought it was pretty cool.

Just a bit worrying that some fans may go for the Pats because of some false Irish pride. If they want to follow an Irish team I'd imagine The Steelers would be closer with their owner...Could it be the fact alot of people starting watching when they started to win?

I haven't spoken to a single person who supports the Pats just because of "Irish pride". I think its pretty obvious that people from Ireland are more likely to have relations in the New England are athough, which would account for a lot of it. My reasons are nothing like that though, the guy who introduced me to American Football was from Boston, studying over here at the time so when I would watch games with him, naturally they would be Pats games and so I would follow his team. I'd say it's far more likely people in Ireland would have actual links, whether it be through family or friendship, with the Pats than most other teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I've followed the Patriots since Brady came into the team. That was my first season really following the NFL and I found myself rooting for them as the underdog with the starting QB injured and this 6th rounder taking his place. So, my reasons for following them have nothing to do with Irish pride.

I had no real animosity for the Jets up until recently. I actually enjoyed Rex Ryans antics last season, he seemed to take the pressure off his players, but his recent comments about Superbowls and 15-1 are just ridiculous.. I can't wait to stuff them this weekend :)

If only the Colts had left on their starters last December, the Jets would've finished 8-8, missed the playoffs and Ryan would not be quite as bullish as he is now! Still, all this hype will make it all the funnier when they have a mediocre season :D

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote: »
    I haven't spoken to a single person who supports the Pats just because of "Irish pride". I think its pretty obvious that people from Ireland are more likely to have relations in the New England are athough, which would account for a lot of it. My reasons are nothing like that though, the guy who introduced me to American Football was from Boston, studying over here at the time so when I would watch games with him, naturally they would be Pats games and so I would follow his team. I'd say it's far more likely people in Ireland would have actual links, whether it be through family or friendship, with the Pats than most other teams.

Why would the Irish be more likely to have relations in New England? There's "Irish" all over the United States. Your reason is valid enough, I was actually born in the States in New York but I follow the Bucs because my grandfather got me into Football and he lived near Tampa. Its probably more to do with my frustrations with how soccer is followed. So many Liverpool, Man United and Arsenal fans. Now I see alot of kids wearing Chelsea jerseys...

It's nice to have a connection to a team. Anyway nevermind. I know I shouldn't make assumptions but I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's because they won. People won't say that obviously, and I'm sure there's other reasons but them winning is a huge help. Look at the thread on boards, there clearly the most supported team, big coincidence? Hardly, if the Pats played like the Lions the last decade they'd have very few supporters.

Regarding Rex's 15-1 comment,first off he was joking and secondly i think its great to see some real confidence and arrogance rather than the false modesty of most sports teams/stars.

It feels weird to be hated by everyone and not just Miami fans:D

Would really love to see them let Sanchez sling it this week,he will makes mistakes but trying to hide him is doing noone any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

raven136 wrote: »
    Would really love to see them let Sanchez sling it this week,he will makes mistakes but trying to hide him is doing noone any good.

Its doing the jets good as he's simply not up to slinging it about the place. Defence and running were the reasons the Jets made the play offs last year. Sanchez was abysmal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

Since there are Packers and Giants threads now there definitely should be a Pats thread. Too many other threads get derailed with Pats talk that gets way too detailed for the average NFL fan.

Dodge wrote: »
    Its doing the jets good as he's simply not up to slinging it about the place. Defence and running were the reasons the Jets made the play offs last year. Sanchez was abysmal

Everyone is prepared for our running game so letting him throw other than 4 yards might help.All QB have awful stats their first 2 seasons but their teams didnt try and hide them and let them mature.
    The Jets or the offensive coaches have been playing him a bit too cautious i think.

Eli Manning 2005 season,24 td,17 int.2006:24 and18,2007:23 and20

The Giants didnt hide him but the Jets seem unwilling to let Sanchez make the same mistakes

Tbh, until Santonio Holmes comes back, the Jets don't even have a deep threat. Cotchery is more of a slot receiver, and I dont blame them for not trusting Braylon Edwards. Sure he's tall, he'll outjump most CBs and is athetlcally sound, but his hands are awful and he's too much of a liability with CBs covering him. Once the passing game opens up with Santonio Holmes on the field, we just might see a different Mark Sanchez.

Cotchery can play the slot but imo he is top notch on the outside. He is a brilliant route runner and very underestimated in the NFL imo.

Cotchery can play the slot but imo he is top notch on the outside. He is a brilliant route runner and very underestimated in the NFL imo.

That may be, but Schottenheimer and Ryan have him in the slot, and its from that position that he was Sanchez preferred target during the run-in last year. Take him out of there, and you're taking away Sanchez's security blanket which would be idiotic on their part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

Archimedes wrote: »
    roflbot-wSmy.jpg

What's Shay Given doing eating ice-cream!!
    No wonder he's lost his place at City!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement