Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Whoops

This is impressive ineptitude, even for Jacksonville

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

No luck for the 49ers
    More brutal injuries: 49ers wide receiver Mario Manningham tore his ACL and PCL Sunday night vs. Seattle. Done for season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

A guy from Cleveland dies and is sent to Hell. He had been a horrible man his entire life.

The devil puts him to work breaking up rocks with a sledgehammer. To make it worse, he cranks up the temperature and the humidity.

After a couple of days, the devil checks in on his victim to see if he is suffering adequately. The devil is baffled as the guy from Cleveland is happily swinging his hammer and whistling a happy tune.

The devil walks up to him and says, "I don't understand this. I've turned the heat way up, it's humid, you're crushing rocks; why are you so happy?"

The guy from Cleveland, with a big smile, looks at the devil and replies, "This is great! It reminds me of August in Cleveland. Hot, humid, a good place to work. It reminds me of home. This is fantastic!"

The devil, extremely perplexed, walks away to ponder the remarks of the guy from Cleveland . Then he decides to drop the temperature, send down a driving rain and torrential wind. Soon, Hell is a wet, muddy mess.

Walking in mud up to his knees with dust blowing into his eyes, the guy from Cleveland is happily slogging through the mud pushing a wheelbarrow full of crushed rocks.

Again, the devil asks how he can be happy in such conditions.

The guy from Cleveland replies, "This is great! Just like April in Cleveland . It reminds me of working out in the yard with spring planting!"

The devil is now completely baffled but more determined to make the guy from Cleveland suffer. He makes the temperature plummet. Suddenly Hell is blanketed in snow and ice. Confident that this will surely make the guy from Cleveland unhappy, the devil checks in on him.

He is again shocked at what he sees. The guy from Cleveland is dancing, singing, and twirling his sledgehammer as he cavorts in glee.

"How can you be so happy? Don't you know its 40 below zero!?" screams the devil.

Jumping up and down, the guy from Cleveland throws a snowball at the devil and yells, "Hell's frozen over! This means the BROWNS won the Super Bowl."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Since punters are people too seems to be doing the rounds on twitter here is the best tackle I could find

Maybe there are better

Nice hit :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000117470/article/scott-mitchell-slams-lomas-brown-for-missed-block-claim

Pretty crappy from the guy on the o-line, missing a block to get your QB knocked out of the game

Jets o-line have been doing that all year, irregardless of who the QB is!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Since punters are people too seems to be doing the rounds on twitter here is the best tackle I could find

Maybe there are better

Nice hit :cool:

Nice one here from The Pats Stephen Gostkowski...

At 6.1 and 15 1/2 stone he's probably one of the biggest kickers in the league.

Sherman got off!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

kmart6 wrote: »
    Sherman got off!

Hawks are going to the Superbowl.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Sherman got off!

Seems like he got off on a technicality, which involved the use of a second sample collection cup. Everyone though seems to have lost sight of what the main issue should be here. And that is how and why was Adderall even detected in the sample he provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Guys i was just thinking about the franchise tag...how is it legal? Like in an other job you sign a contract for a set period and once your time is up you renegotiate but in the nfl you just get slapped with the franchise taag and you're stuck there for another year.

I'm not under any illusions and I know they are very well paid while under the tag but I still cannot see how its legal? Does every contract in the nfl have a franchise clause? Also why would some teams franchise a player who comes out and says they dont wanna be tagged??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Seems like he got off on a technicality, which involved the use of a second sample collection cup. Everyone though seems to have lost sight of what the main issue should be here. And that is how and why was Adderall even detected in the sample he provided?

I'd be amazed if it was Adderall and not something more serious. Under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement the league can't come out and say what the test was for, so it's the players word against no one.

He literally could have come out and said he tested positive for sniffing bath salts and there's not a thing the league could have done to say he hadn't.

Adderall is a nice, handy excuse though.

Arawn wrote: »
    Guys i was just thinking about the franchise tag...how is it legal? Like in an other job you sign a contract for a set period and once your time is up you renegotiate but in the nfl you just get slapped with the franchise taag and you're stuck there for another year.

I'm not under any illusions and I know they are very well paid while under the tag but I still cannot see how its legal? Does every contract in the nfl have a franchise clause? Also why would some teams franchise a player who comes out and says they dont wanna be tagged??

It's all perfect legal and every player knows that they may be tagged in the future. Every NFL team can only franchise tag or transition tag one player for every season. A player can only be franchise tagged for two consecutive years in a row and that's it.

An exclusive franchise tag: Once a player is offered a one year contract at a salary of the average of the top five salaried players at his position, or at a salary at least 120% of his previous year's salary, whichever of the two is the higher amount. Then the player is exclusively tagged and he cannot negotiate with any other teams even though he is a free agent.

Exclusively tagging allows a team to hold onto a players contractual rights for the nominated season. Tagging is very often used to buy more time during a player's contract negotiations and to protect a franchises best players during their free agency period ect.

An non-exclusive franchise tag:This offers the player the same salary as that of an exclusively tagged player. But unlike an exclusive franchise tag, other teams still have room to maneuver and negotiate with a player. Teams who put a non-exclusive franchise tag on a player, have the right of first refusal and can match any outside offers. If they match an offer within seven days, then they keep the player. If they decide not to match an offer, then they must be compensated with two first-round picks from the team signing the player.

I look at the excellent first seasons of rookies like Luck and RG3 and the way they conduct themselves on and off the pitch. And then I see the continuing diva and bítch like behaviour of Cam Newton and the $31,000 in fines for him this week. I wish he would just stop whining, grow da fúck up, or just fúck off from the game altogether tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

That's ridiculous, this time last year people were praising his attitude. That game was dirty and heated throughout. It was Tommy Kelly he kicked too, who's hardly a saint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Problem with cam as I see it he has the confidence that all qb's need the problem is he has none of there redeeming qualities. He is like a ****in two year old

Fined for bumping the offical

This was covered in NFL Sound FX
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap2000000117296/Sound-FX-Cam-Newton

Apologized on the field and in the press conferenance.
    Doesn't matter, got fined

As for Tommy Kelly, the Raiders were gunning for Newton after Carson Palmer was knocked out of the game
    "You take our guy out, we're going to go and try to take your guy out," Kelly told the Associated Press.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/oakland-tommy-kelly-went-cam-newton-carson-palmer-005358932--nfl.html

Palmer took a brutal hit and the flags were thrown. I don't know why, seemed a legit hit to me :confused:

In that video Smith just asks him for his cleats

Ok, wasn't clear to me what he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He should have been ejected for bumping the ref, but looking at how they embraced each other before the game Cam would probably need to shoot someone on the field to be ejected, even then he's probably just eject the player he shot.

matthew8 wrote: »
    That's ridiculous, this time last year people were praising his attitude.

I think you're getting confused there, I have never praised Cam Newton or his attitude.

matthew8 wrote: »
    That game was dirty and heated throughout. It was Tommy Kelly he kicked too, who's hardly a saint.

Dirty you say? Well welcome to the NFL, but all to often Newton can be a tantrum throwing bitch. And he just showed himself up last Sunday with his petulant behaviour. The guy needs to seriously grow up and act like a man.

• Advertisement

Video of the mascots dueling from the team planes

Ravens vs Colts from 2009

Bring on the rematch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Andrew Siciliano ‏@AndrewSiciliano
    A year ago today, Matt Flynn threw 6 TD's, Russell Wilson was prepping for Rose Bowl, RGIII hadn't declared for draft, it was Tebow time...

Andrew Siciliano ‏@AndrewSiciliano
    A year ago today, Adrian Peterson couldn't walk, Peyton Manning couldn't throw, and the Colts lost to the Jaguars to lock up the #1 pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The Jets LOL

The season is finished for Rex Ryan and the Jets but they still cant stop making ridiculous headlines...

ny_dn-4_3_r560.jpg?f061b7ce9937c38b702e6f308816ac2a14e2a4ec

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/04/brace-your-breakfast-rex-has-a-sanchez-tattoo-sort-of/

And even with their season over, the Jets circus continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

He is meant to have had the tattoo a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

It's a ****ing tattoo. Why do people care? There's enough actual reasons to laugh at the Jets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Masked Man wrote: »
    It's a ****ing tattoo. Why do people care? There's enough actual reasons to laugh at the Jets.

I dunno. It just highlights what it is about Ryan's personality that turns people stomachs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Masked Man wrote: »

Cos it's funny.

Its a white trash tattoo of his wife wearing the jersey of the QB he is trying to get rid of....very cringe and very stereotypical Jets behavior.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

What time is kick-off saturday and sunday?

• Advertisement

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    What time is kick-off saturday and sunday?
    Details.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement