Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Its crazy how close Manning and Leaf where, probably if anything Leaf considered better. No they are worlds apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Its crazy how close Manning and Leaf where, probably if anything Leaf considered better. No they are worlds apart.

14 out of 20 polled executives said they'd take Leaf over Manning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Paully D wrote: »
    14 out of 20 polled executives said they'd take Leaf over Manning.

But both the Colts and San Diego both preferred Manning. It seems insane not to have picked Manning first, but then, 6 QB's went ahead of Brady :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

And really nobody can know the motives of those GM's...I'm sure some of them would have loved Manning to drop to them!

It takes a very special talent to go to one of the worst 2 or 3 teams in the league and make something happen. Sam Bradford (an excellent prospect in my opinion) is still scrambling to take his team to the next level. As we've seen, Andrew Luck is the only 1st overall pick at QB to go to the playoffs as a Rookie.

I wonder how things would have gone for Leaf if he'd been taken in the 20's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

davyjose wrote: »
    It takes a very special talent to go to one of the worst 2 or 3 teams in the league and make something happen. Sam Bradford (an excellent prospect in my opinion) is still scrambling to take his team to the next level. As we've seen, Andrew Luck is the only 1st overall pick at QB to go to the playoffs as a Rookie.

I wonder how things would have gone for Leaf if he'd been taken in the 20's.

He'd probably have been put in prison sooner but I'd say his NFL career would have been the same.

Some brilliant comments under the PFF article too.
    Are the Bengals going to hold a spot for him too?
    A sad turn? Its not like a girlfriend that he made up died…thats sad.
    I think the picture was taken when Leaf was a replacement ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Ryan Leaf is probably one of the most tragic cases in NFL history. Never has a player who could have had it all, lose it all so recklessly.

Ryan Leaf is probably one of the most tragic cases in NFL history. Never has a player who could have had it all, lose it all so recklessly.

Nah. Tragic is Eric LeGrand, or Kevin Everett. Leaf had it all and fcuked it away. I'm not unsympathetic, but the guy won life's lottery and he himself consciously made every decision that led him to where he is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

JaMarcus Russell, anybody?

Syferus wrote: »
    JaMarcus Russell, anybody?

Yeah, poor guy is probably wiping away his tears with thousand dollar bills right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I think he spent that on the purple drank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Ah Jamarcus Russell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jamarcus Russell was never really that talented though. Didn't know much about Leaf but from what I read he had the talent.

Jamarcus Russell was never really that talented though. Didn't know much about Leaf but from what I read he had the talent.

As a Heisman trophy finalist Leaf definitely had the talent, but it all really started to go wrong once he went pro. He generally behaved like a right prick in his rookie season, marked himself out amongst his teammates and the rest from there is history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

As a Heisman trophy finalist Leaf definitely had the talent, but it all really started to go wrong once he went pro. He generally behaved like a right prick in his rookie season, marked himself out amongst his teammates and the rest from there is history.

The biggest tell for him was when the player interviews were done for the draft and the teams asked what would you do if you went No 1 overall pick. Manning answered go to the film room and study and Leaf said go to Vegas for a week and party.

To Leafs credit he was an outstanding QB in college. Absolute cannon of an arm and a very smart QB when it came to playing the game. His personal life and attitude is what let him down. Manning was more NFL ready QB but many teams preferred Leaf and thought he would go further than Manning in the Pros especially with that arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

^^^^^^^

Already posted 2 pages back!

TO. wrote: »
    The biggest tell for him was when the player interviews were done for the draft and the teams asked what would you do if you went No 1 overall pick. Manning answered go to the film room and study and Leaf said go to Vegas for a week and party.

The same guy who decided to doss the last day of the rookie symposium. I can't remember how much, but he got slapped with a big fine from the league after that. A pretty poor start to his pro career. I wonder how big a mistake he made in skipping his senior year. What difference it would have made, if any, is hard to know. But he certainly wasn't mentally ready when he did go pro.

To Leafs credit he was an outstanding QB in college. Absolute cannon of an arm and a very smart QB when it came to playing the game. His personal life and attitude is what let him down. Manning was more NFL ready QB but many teams preferred Leaf and thought he would go further than Manning in the Pros especially with that arm.

This arm strength thing always gets me. Peyton had the ability to make all the throws. Andrew Luck got shredded by Phil Simms last year, and Tom Brady's Scouting report questioned his arm strength. To name but a few. These guys can all put serious zip on the ball.

My favourite story about Peyton's interview with the Colts is how he apparently told Irsay and Polian that if they didn't pick him, he'd kick their ass for the next 15 years. Class. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

davyjose wrote: »
    This arm strength thing always gets me. Peyton had the ability to make all the throws. Andrew Luck got shredded by Phil Simms last year, and Tom Brady's Scouting report questioned his arm strength. To name but a few. These guys can all put serious zip on the ball.

There is huge difference in Arm strength with some QBs. Brady and Manning don't need pure power as they are accurate passers. They can zip them fast hard and accurately but Leaf shot them like a cannon. I have worked with many High School and College QB coaches and I can tell you there are guys out there who fire the ball like it was shot out of a cannon. No doubt Brady and Manning can zip the ball but trust me get on the end of different types of passes and you can tell the difference.

Jay Cutler is another example of a cannon arm. Difference with him he lacks the accuracy Brady and Manning have but his passes are harder and faster.

Arm strength isn't the major plus to QBs these days as it once was anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Arm strength isn't the major plus to QBs these days as it once was anyways.
    That's what I was getting at. We've seen guys in the past with fairly weak arms, but there are few in the league nowadays that don't throw it with a fair degree of pace.
    Some folk, Ron Jaworski in particular, talk as though it's the be all and end all of being a QB in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Wacky alright

dVHgK6N.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I love me some Harbaugh hisrtionics

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

adrian522 wrote: »
    I love me some Harbaugh hisrtionics

Histrionics? HISTRIONICS? YOU CAN'T EVEN SPELL HISTRIONICS!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Histrionics? HISTRIONICS? YOU CAN'T EVEN SPELL HISTRIONICS!!!

Not when I'm out drinking anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Needs moar Harbaugh

harbaugh.gif

• Advertisement

^ ^ ^

Reminds me of this guy. :D

the_shining.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement