Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Interesting under CBA teams cannot restructure rookie contracts for 3 seasons. The Seahawks have a starting QB earning $500k next year and $600k the following year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000129569/article/russell-wilson-i-didnt-ask-seahawks-for-new-contract

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Interesting under CBA teams cannot restructure rookie contracts for 3 seasons. The Seahawks have a starting QB earning $500k next year and $600k the following year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000129569/article/russell-wilson-i-didnt-ask-seahawks-for-new-contract

Old news really. The changes to the rookie pay scale were well publicised when the CBA was being sorted.

Sounds harsh on the rookies but it equally garanteed all draftees a certain level of pay even for those that were untimately not good enough to hang around the league.

Bargain for Seattle but he will get his dues in 2015 and its not like hes short of a few quid having made about 1.2 million odd this season.

D3PO wrote: »
    Old news really. The changes to the rookie pay scale were well publicised when the CBA was being sorted.

Sounds harsh on the rookies but it equally garanteed all draftees a certain level of pay even for those that were untimately not good enough to hang around the league.

Bargain for Seattle but he will get his dues in 2015 and its not like hes short of a few quid having made about 1.2 million odd this season.

Didn't take much notice of what the new CBA meant (apart from football would be played)

Some bargain for Seattle for next few years (assuming he pans out)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Didn't take much notice of what the new CBA meant (apart from football would be played)

Some bargain for Seattle for next few years (assuming he pans out)

Apart from the fact that Matt Flynn is on $10million guaranteed.

Could be seeing a move to Arizona for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Anyone following this bizarre story of Tim Brown accusing Bill Callahan of sabotaging his Raiders team in their Super Bowl loss to the Buccaneers? Seems complete nonsense on the face of it but now Jerry Rice has waded in agreeing with Brown. Very strange story.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Anyone following this bizarre story of Tim Brown accusing Bill Callahan of sabotaging his Raiders team in their Super Bowl loss to the Buccaneers? Seems complete nonsense on the face of it but now Jerry Rice has waded in agreeing with Brown. Very strange story.

Fcuking nutball accusation TBH. Jerry Rice doesn't add credibility to it. It just makes Rice look foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I hate to admit it, but this is probably the greatest gif of all time.

LOLofthering_medium.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

One JaMarcus Russell is looking for a come-back. God bless him he's cut his weight down from 320 lbs to a slim 308lbs.

I don't think even Arizona would take him :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

One JaMarcus Russell is looking for a come-back. God bless him he's cut his weight down from 320 lbs to a slim 308lbs.

Is he going to play tackle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Jamarcus Russell and Jamarcus Hustle both come out of retirement in quick succession!!

Which will be more successful!?

I hate to admit it, but this is probably the greatest gif of all time.

LOLofthering_medium.gif

Part of that is not photoshopped: that actually is Tom Brady's body:

tom_brady_nfl_draft_combine_2000.jpg

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/21/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

Article on the drop rates for receivers (catchable passes)! Welker had the most at 15! Avery and Hilton had the highest % of dropped passes! Jason Avant didn't drop one catchable pass!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Jamarcus Russell and Jamarcus Hustle both come out of retirement in quick succession!!

Which will be more successful!?

I'll bet that the reincarnation them - J Football - will be better than the two of them :D

Avery and Hilton had the highest % of dropped passes!
    I know, like me, this stat doesn't surprise you. Hilton was a with a big workload placed upon them, to be fair. And Avery still had arguably his best season in a brand new offense.
    Welker is a surprise though. But when you're targetted that much, you're bound to have that many drops. Again, very close to Megatron in those stats.

davyjose wrote: »
    I know, like me, this stat doesn't surprise you. Hilton was a with a big workload placed upon them, to be fair. And Avery still had arguably his best season in a brand new offense.
    Welker is a surprise though. But when you're targetted that much, you're bound to have that many drops. Again, very close to Megatron in those stats.
    Yeah Welker and Megatron get so many targets they're bound to have the most drops!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/21/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

Article on the drop rates for receivers (catchable passes)! Welker had the most at 15! Avery and Hilton had the highest % of dropped passes! Jason Avant didn't drop one catchable pass!

No surprise to see Delanie Walker leading TE's in drop rate, dropped 30% of catchable balls thrown his way.

He is apparently taking it seriously.

Marshall Faulk, Jeff Garcia, Ato Boldin, 2 coaches to train him in the classroom on reading D's etc., fitness n dietician.

He is only 27.

davyjose wrote: »
    I would like to see how many dropped passes were inside/outside the numbers. Cruz and Marshall almost never play slot, the chances of them getting popped by a linebacker making a catch is a lot lower than Welker

I would like to see how many dropped passes were inside/outside the numbers. Cruz and Marshall almost never play slot, the chances of them getting popped by a linebacker making a catch is a lot lower than Welker

Those long bombs, with pace, can be tricky as well, in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Russell always had huge potential he's a big guy that makes favres arm look week if he can put in huge amounts of work he can be a decent qb but he's never shown himself to be motivated in the slightest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

nerd69 wrote: »
    Russell always had huge potential he's a big guy that makes favres arm look week if he can put in huge amounts of work he can be a decent qb but he's never shown himself to be motivated in the slightest

He never really had any potential. Throwing the ball far doesn't mean jack tbh.

+1. He was just a big arm, who looked good against young men.

He surely had potential. He was 1st overall draft pick. He wasn't a massive reach or anything like that. He had all the measurables to be a top class QB.

The fact his head wasn't screwed on (bad advice, hangers on, bad attitude, burgers) can't take away from people thinking that he could be a good QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He surely had potential. He was 1st overall draft pick. He wasn't a massive reach or anything like that. He had all the measurables to be a top class QB.

The fact his head wasn't screwed on (bad advice, hangers on, bad attitude, burgers) can't take away from people thinking that he could be a good QB.

That's true I suppose. No idea how people thought he was good or had potential though. He was so poor in some many area except strength. Poor footwork, mechanics, accuracy and an already well known poor work ethic.

That's true I suppose. No idea how people thought he was good or had potential though. He was so poor in some many area except strength. Poor footwork, mechanics, accuracy and an already well known poor work ethic.
    You can look at guys like Russell,leaf and smith in hindsight and its easy to question them at the time they looked like good picks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Don't know how true this is but I would love if GB tried to make a trade for him (cap space permitting).
    According to Jason LaConfora of CBSSports, the New York Jets are going to explore trading superstar cornerback Darrelle Revis.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/01/23/darrelle-revis-the-two-sides-to-trading-the-new-york-jets-star-cornerback/?Jo7Mh7AuthmwD4K9.99

People where iffy on cam Newton to he could have easily go e the other way

Don't know how true this is but I would love if GB tried to make a trade for him (cap space permitting).

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/01/23/darrelle-revis-the-two-sides-to-trading-the-new-york-jets-star-cornerback/?Jo7Mh7AuthmwD4K9.99
    I think they'll ask for much probably something like clay + someone just the jets lookin for press

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

There is no way in hell Packers will part with Clay no matter who they want

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement