Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

nerd69 wrote: »
    You can look at guys like Russell,leaf and smith in hindsight and its easy to question them at the time they looked like good picks

Well I said at the time Russell would be garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

People where iffy on cam Newton to he could have easily go e the other way

He still could IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

According to Jason LaConfora of CBSSports, the New York Jets are going to explore trading superstar cornerback Darrelle Revis.

Not as crazy as it sounds. I noticed their defensive numbers held up really well this season after Revis went out, which surprised me. They finished the season 6th in yards-per-play allowed and 7th in yards-per-pass-attempt allowed. All their problems were on offense. So if they could turn him into some useful offensive pieces, there is a logic to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Don't know how true this is but I would love if GB tried to make a trade for him (cap space permitting).

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/01/23/darrelle-revis-the-two-sides-to-trading-the-new-york-jets-star-cornerback/?Jo7Mh7AuthmwD4K9.99

Never going to happen under Ted Thompson. He's a build through the draft kinda guy. Won't see too many big free agency/trades with him around.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

People where iffy on cam Newton to he could have easily go e the other way

I never had any regard for him and never will. Too much of a pompous, diva prat for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I actually did like Cam when he first broke out.

When on form he can be a great player. I think he's gotten too full of himself though.
    He's more worried about being thought of as a top player than playing like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

You can look at guys like Russell,leaf and smith in hindsight and its easy to question them at the time they looked like good picks

Found this comparison on ESPN

Fun facts: In 2008, Russell started 15 games and had a 77.1 quarterback rating and 35.3 Total QBR. In 2012, Mark Sanchez started 15 games and had a 66.9 quarterback rating and 23.4 Total QBR

Could you imagine Rex giving JaMarcus dieting tips!! :pac:

Arawn wrote: »
    There is no way in hell Packers will part with Clay no matter who they want

Exactly. No way would they trade Matthews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Don't know how true this is but I would love if GB tried to make a trade for him (cap space permitting).

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/01/23/darrelle-revis-the-two-sides-to-trading-the-new-york-jets-star-cornerback/?Jo7Mh7AuthmwD4K9.99

It's very true. This has been talked about since Week 3. The Jets have too many needs and having all that money tied up with Revis might not be the best strategy for the Jets at the moment. The problem is that Revis is a once in a lifetime corner. What are you really going to get that is going to be worth more than Revis?

A better strategy from the Jets FO would not be to sign struggling QB's to deals worth $60M. Also Ryan knows he's surely fired if they don't turn it around next year so there could be lots of movement there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I never had any regard for him and never will. Too much of a pompous, diva prat for my liking.

So what if he gets a little bit visually frustrated? Brady and Rodgers have been seen yelling at coaches, Brady acts like a spoilt child half the time he's on the ground, and had a kick at a defender when sliding against Baltimore. Doesn't make him a worse player. People are always complaining about players acting like sore losers, but if you're an athlete and winning means a lot to you losing is a very hard thing to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

matthew8 wrote: »
    So what if he gets a little bit visually frustrated? Brady and Rodgers have been seen yelling at coaches, Brady acts like a spoilt child half the time he's on the ground, and had a kick at a defender when sliding against Baltimore. Doesn't make him a worse player. People are always complaining about players acting like sore losers, but if you're an athlete and winning means a lot to you losing is a very hard thing to take.

cam's rep isn't of a player who gets frustrated, it's one of sulking when things aren't going his way. I don't really care anyway and it's probably just the media trying to tear him down but you know when Brady/Rodgers gets angry he's going to use the loss to try and get better, if Cam's sulking is a big part of his attitude then it's a problem. I doubt it does and like I said I don't care but there is a difference.

Also celebrating like he did against the giants was just horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Wouldn't call Cam a sore loser, as Masked Man points out that game it he looked delighted when he scored a TD while his side were getting hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Found this today, Peyton & Coach Harbaugh :D

So what if he gets a little bit visually frustrated? Brady and Rodgers have been seen yelling at coaches,

What have Rodgers and Brady got to do with Newton? Christ man don't even mention Newton in the same breath as them ffs. Big difference between a will to win and just being a whining, newbie bítch who's done nothing in the league yet.

Newton is everything that RG3, Luck and Wilson isn't. It's been a breath of fresh air having these talented young QB's coming into the league. Great young talents with great attitudes, Newton on the other hand is just a petulant príck.
    Brady acts like a spoilt child half the time he's on the ground,

Spoilt child my arse, it's natural for a QB to try and protect himself. Especially when you've had your knee destroyed by a hit in the past. The leg might have been a bit high, but Ed Reed had no problem with it and fully understood why it happened. In fact, here's what Ed Reed had to say about it...
    "Leg is feeling all right, a little sore right now," Reed told 105.7 The Fan in a radio interview Monday. "A little slide kick, you know what I'm saying. It's a tough spot the quarterback's in. I understand Brady's point, him protecting himself. I know he's a great player. I respect Brady and his game for all it stands for, and I know he's not a dirty player, and emotions get going in the game.

"We talked actually not too long ago, we talked on the phone. He actually reached out to me, texted me. I tried to text him back, but the message exploded after 12 seconds. So, I had to call him. And he's just apologized and whatnot. I told him, 'It's good, man.'"

Im not Bradys biggest fan but fair play for reaching out to Reed and apologising.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

What have Rodgers and Brady got to do with Newton? Christ man don't even mention Newton in the same breath as them ffs.
    They're all NFL QBs, 2 of them are elite and one of them is a aspiring to be like the other 2.
    Big difference between a will to win and just being a whining, newbie bítch who's done nothing in the league yet.
    Rookie of the year, broke rookie yards record, scored 27 TDs this year and had 4600 total yards. I think it's pretty good. He's had a much better year than perceived. The media's just jumping on him.
    Newton is everything that RG3, Luck and Wilson isn't. It's been a breath of fresh air having these talented young QB's coming into the league. Great young talents with great attitudes, Newton on the other hand is just a petulant príck.

You seem obsessed with Newton. His apparent acting like a prick hasn't affected his offensive production, he's just unlucky to be on the wrong side of a few close games. Besides, Wilson, Luck and RG3 haven't had to overcome significant criticism yet.
    Spoilt child my arse, it's natural for a QB to try and protect himself. Especially when you've had your knee destroyed by a hit in the past.
    Shouting at the referees and gesturing for a flag isn't protecting yourself. Infact, I would consider it asking for trouble.
    The leg might have been a bit high, but Ed Reed had no problem with it and fully understood why it happened. In fact, here's what Ed Reed had to say about it...
    I'm sure if Cam had done it it would make him a spoilt brat in your eyes.

Cam Newton is class, and contrary to popular belief he hasn't had a "sophomore slump". His TDs have taken a hit (Mike Tolbert scored 7 TDs, I think all were like 1 yard) but otherwise he has taken a small step forward while the running game took a giant leap backwards.

They're all NFL QBs, 2 of them are elite and one of them is a aspiring to be like the other 2.

Attitude counts for a lot in my eyes. His just isn't right. He just need to grow some balls, stop the sulking and become a man.
    Rookie of the year, broke rookie yards record, scored 27 TDs this year and had 4600 total yards. I think it's pretty good. He's had a much better year than perceived. The media's just jumping on him.

This year really was the year of the rookie QB, how a player carries himself is important to me. RG3, Luck and Co have all behaved with maturity and class in their first season, maybe Newton will learn from them.
    You seem obsessed with Newton.

And you seem to be mixing me up with someone else. I suggest you check my posts about Newton in this entire forum. Because I'm certain I have only discussed Newton in 4/5 posts max maybe. Now if that counts as obsession, then you set the measurement bar pretty, pretty low.
    His apparent acting like a prick hasn't affected his offensive production, he's just unlucky to be on the wrong side of a few close games. Besides, Wilson, Luck and RG3 haven't had to overcome significant criticism yet.

This criticism you speak of is mainly directed at Newton acting like a sap and not his abilities. RG3, Luck and Co undoubtedly will face critisim in the future. But somehow I doubt if it will ever be for them acting like sulking whingers.
    Shouting at the referees and gesturing for a flag isn't protecting yourself. Infact, I would consider it asking for trouble.

I expect any player to challenge a flag that they think is questionable.

I'm sure if Cam had done it it would make him a spoilt brat in your eyes.

No, I expect QB's to try and protect themselves. But one thing is for certain, he wouldn't have the class or maturity to apologise to Reed about it later.
    Cam Newton is class, and contrary to popular belief he hasn't had a "sophomore slump". His TDs have taken a hit (Mike Tolbert scored 7 TDs, I think all were like 1 yard) but otherwise he has taken a small step forward while the running game took a giant leap backwards.

Sophomore slump? Who called him that? Because I didn't, in fact I mentioned nothing about his play. Just his attitude, how he carries himself and how he behaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Cam is immature at points but part of the reason is how much he wants to win, when his team loses he's absolutely disgusted, not at his team-mates but with the whole situation. The likes of Brady and Rodgers and most every elite QB are the same way, they simply do it in a cuter way than draping a towel over their head.

Newton's brought an attitude and a swagger to Carolina, something the Panthers were missing even in their Superbowl run. Invest in better receivers, stop stocking up on expensive RBs like they're candy, don't get Cam battered and Carolina are on the short list for the playoffs next season.

It always amazes me how peoples' personal feelings cloud the realities of a player's talent and skill on the field - I don't like Big Ben as a man but he's one of my favourite players to watch.

Cam in particular has done very little to deserve the derision and begrudgery he receives from some quarters. Anyone doubting his sincerity should look back at how critical he was of himself last off-season, he knows where he needs to improve and I have zero doubts he'll do just that given time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

What have Rodgers and Brady got to do with Newton? Christ man don't even mention Newton in the same breath as them ffs. Big difference between a will to win and just being a whining, newbie bítch who's done nothing in the league yet.
    The fact that he's still in adverts specifying that he's "building a brand" just turns me off. Like Lebron's "I'm going to South Beach": actually Mr. James, you're going to be playing in a completely different city.

• Advertisement

Totally forgot about that disgraceful incident, how he wasn't kicked off the field is beyond me.

I was moved by that, but then I realised the article was dated May 2012. Unfortunately since that article was published, he has continued to sulk and act the diva at times during the 2012 season. One thing talking the talk, quite another to actually walk the walk.

He made a stupid play and fúcked up, so does he get a medal for apologising? Christ, he has no choice but to apologise for fúcking up that day.

Wow, you're actually obsessed. Brady does X and apologises - he's a classy guy. Cam does X and apologises - he's a jerk.

No point arguing with you, you're clearly obsessed with the idea that Cam is a bad guy.

Wow, you're actually obsessed. Brady does X and apologises - he's a classy guy. Cam does X and apologises - he's a jerk.

No point arguing with you, you're clearly obsessed with the idea that Cam is a bad guy.

Cop yourself on, since when does having an opinion count as an obsession? You posted a link from an article last May. He spoke about his immaturity, his pouting and his moping in that article and his need to mature. And what does he do again this season? He's still been pouting and moping. So that leads me to believe that he's full of shít. Maybe if he can grow up for the 2013 season, stop sulking and moping and generally just be a man. Then I'll have no issue with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

RG3, Luck and Co have all behaved with maturity and class in their first season, maybe Newton will learn from them.

The 3 rookies mentioned all had winning seasons and play off appearances. Its easy to carry yourself well when things are good. There wasn't many complaints about Cam's attitude during his rookie year.

etloveslsd wrote: »
    Its easy to carry yourself well when things are good.

He played well in his first season, but his attitude still stank at times. And that's the problem I have with him - his attitude. Now if he changes it, I'll have no problem with the guy.
    etloveslsd wrote: »
    There wasn't many complaints about Cam's attitude during his rookie year.

You can exclude me from that list and you think there was no problem with Cam Newton's attitude in 2011? Google 'Newton' and 'diva' and just see what you'll find.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Don't get the problems people have with Cam, some people seem to have decided to hate him no matter what he does. I think he's going to be a great player in the league for a long time.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Don't get the problems people have with Cam, some people seem to have decided to hate him no matter what he does. I think he's going to be a great player in the league for a long time.

No hate from me, just this......
    He played well in his first season, but his attitude still stank at times. And that's the problem I have with him - his attitude. Now if he changes it, I'll have no problem with the guy.

No hate from me, just this......

Emm.....
    being a whining, newbie bítch who's done nothing in the league yet.
    Newton on the other hand is just a petulant príck
    he's full of shít.
    Totally forgot about that disgraceful incident, how he wasn't kicked off the field is beyond me.
    He just need to grow some balls
    Newton acting like a sap
    acting like sulking whingers.
    he wouldn't have the class or maturity

All that ridiculous hyperbole in the space of the "4 or 5 posts" you insist you've made on him. If that's not hate and that's just you being normal, then maybe ol' Cam isn't the one here with the attitude problem. How is anyone supposed to take your view on him seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

You can exclude me from that list and you think there was no problem with Cam Newton's attitude in 2011? Google 'Newton' and 'diva' and just see what you'll find.

Where did I say no problems? You could also Google "Newton" and "winning games"

• Advertisement

If that's not hate and that's just you being normal, then maybe ol' Cam isn't the one here with the attitude problem.

And yet there's not one mention of the word 'hate', in any of those partial quotes you used from me. And what has hate got to do with it? Since when does calling someone a príck = hate? A príck cut me up in traffic this morning, so does that mean I hate him?...Of course it doesn't. Now let's look at some of the other expressions I used below.

'Whinging'
    'diva'
    'petulant'
    'sulking'
    'moping'
    ect,
    ect,

You'll find all of the above, in lots and lots of football articles about Cam Newton. And do you know why that is? It's because a lot of other people have also seen it and don't like his attitude. I thought I couldn't make it any clearer, or make any simpler to understand when I said...
    Maybe if he can grow up for the 2013 season, stop sulking and moping and generally just be a man. Then I'll have no issue with him.
    And that's the problem I have with him - his attitude. Now if he changes it, I'll have no problem with the guy.

But I was obviously not being clear enough there, so to reiterate - I DON'T LIKE HIS ATTITUDE.

It's increasingly looking like I've upset some secret cult of 'Cam love' here. But who knows, maybe if he grows up and develops a good attitude I might even join ye.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement