Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I don't like Cam at all. Good player, but don't like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Two contrasting stories:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130779/article/lions-jahvid-best-unlikely-to-play-football-again

Javhid Best cannot find a doctor to clear him and may not play football again. He has suffered 4 concussions dating back to his final year at Cal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130762/article/titus-young-to-detroit-lions-im-tired-of-threats

Titus Young is trying to get cut by antagonising Lions franchise. Going on twitter calling them out to play him more or cut him.

image.jpg

My 30th Birthday today and my Fiancée went American football all the way

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

HigginsJ wrote: »
    image.jpg

My 30th Birthday today and my Fiancée went American football all the way

:D

Happy Birthday dude and man I want some of that cake.

• Advertisement

Happy Birthday dude and man I want some of that cake.

Haven't cut it yet :) (choc fudge)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

She's a keeper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Happy birthday, Higg!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Two contrasting stories:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130779/article/lions-jahvid-best-unlikely-to-play-football-again

Javhid Best cannot find a doctor to clear him and may not play football again. He has suffered 4 concussions dating back to his final year at Cal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130762/article/titus-young-to-detroit-lions-im-tired-of-threats

Titus Young is trying to get cut by antagonising Lions franchise. Going on twitter calling them out to play him more or cut him.

Best's story is very sad. He's not even 24 and what looked like such a promising career now seems over.

Such a shame to what I thought was going to be a very bright career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

As the offseason approaches the football fix still needed

I liked this show.
    It's pretty short and was cancelled after one season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playmakers
    Playmakers_DVD_cover.jpg

Covers different players like
    the hard working vet running back getting upstaged by the arrogant youngster,
    drug testing,
    the linebacker concerned over injuries,
    the kicker who missed and gets cut,
    the QB addicted to painkillers and is an all round general bastard,
    the guard who gets overlooked all the time

Oh and the front office who scheme and connive more then any politician!

Cleverly produced, a player gets an episode and they narrate it as it progresses

Available to buy.....or to download in the usual places ;)

Get it a shot, it's pretty short

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not sure which thread this belongs in, probably best here, Ray lewis on Saturday Night live...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

curry-muff wrote: »
    Ahh nfl players will ye ever grow up with yere herpes having asses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

curry-muff wrote: »

Jeremy Kyle should do a special on this.

Jesus christ though shady, this is why you wear a johnny....and stay away from crazy bitches. Clearly all she ever wanted in life was to get knocked up by a rich dude and she got her wish...should be more careful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Thought this was a nice shot from the PB. One of the best things about the PB seems to be the player interactions...20130127_kkt_st3_029.0_standard_730.0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Roger Goodell did an AMA over on Reddit today.

It did not go well.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/17fylz/iam_roger_goodell_nfl_commissioner_ama/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Roger Goodell did an AMA over on Reddit today.

It did not go well.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/17fylz/iam_roger_goodell_nfl_commissioner_ama/

I saw it. The fact that he dodged half the questions didn't help.

My Favourite comment: "I don't think he realises what he's gotten himself in for."

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

The best questions were from the user Loate - better known to you and I as Vikings punter Chris Kluwe.
    Dear Commissioner. I was curious about what you thought on the role of traumatic injury in the NFL, and the dichotomy between making the game safer versus giving the fans the hard hits and satiated bloodlust they so clearly desire. It seems to me that a lot of the popularity of the game boils down to the fact that there is that risk of injury, so I guess what I'm essentially asking is how are you going to balance that going forward without people feeling like you're never going to give them up, or never going to let them down?
    Fair enough. I have a follow up question then. When a football is sailig through the air, whether it be a punt or a field goal, does it sound more like "wooooooosh"? Or is it a shorter flight and thus more like "whoosh"?
    I though about asking if I had the potential to make it in the NFL after my rough childhood in Philidelphia, culminating in a move out west to a lovely city in Southern California, but that's a little more obscure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Never understand the hate Goodell gets. It's as if people don't realise he's a puppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Never understand the hate Goodell gets. It's as if people don't realise he's a puppet.

I don't understand calling him a puppet either tbf.

He pisses off his teams all the time. He just straddles that line of not pissing off a lot of teams where he's ousted. He's all about making the owners money and that keeps them happy but he has autonomy over the league and has clearly made huge changes to it with a personal stamp on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

JaMarcus Jet? No wonder they're getting rid of Tebow if they've such a hot young prospect coming in. You couldn't write this stuff.

Please, please, please sign him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Lots of crazy stuff about the treatment Lewis received for his bicep injury. The owner of the company SWATS' previous company was found guilty of providing a spray containing steroids to a former Raven.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130129/the-strange-lab-that-lured-numerous-athletes/?sct=hp_t11_a2&eref=sihp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Haven't read that article yet but would be pretty shocked if HGH wasn't part of Lewis' recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Masked Man wrote: »
    Haven't read that article yet but would be pretty shocked if HGH wasn't part of Lewis' recovery.

The company also have links to A-Rod and other MLB stars who have been recently suspended. I wouldn't be too surprised either to find that 90 % of the league is doing it

themont85 wrote: »
    I don't understand calling him a puppet either tbf.

He pisses off his teams all the time. He just straddles that line of not pissing off a lot of teams where he's ousted. He's all about making the owners money and that keeps them happy but he has autonomy over the league and has clearly made huge changes to it with a personal stamp on it.

He doesn't piss teams off though, well maybe barring the ones like the Pats and Saints who get caught cheating. I don't think it has his personal stamp on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

He doesn't piss teams off though, well maybe barring the ones like the Pats and Saints who get caught cheating.

Sometimes subtle, sometimes not, but your stirring is nothing if not consistent.

Kind of like your Tom Brady obsession some people would say. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

A west coast kid who grew up idolising the 49'ers and Montana, so what's not to like about him? Unlike your constant sniping.

Nothing at all, he's great looks are just an added bonus as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

http://io9.com/5979818/nfl-fans-by-us-county-according-to-facebook

Pretty cool. Breaks down NFL fanbases by American county according to allegiances declared on facebook. Also breaks down how the situation changes during each round of the playoffs.

Actually looking at it again, it's very confusing because they use the same colours for different teams. What team accounts for the red bit in Alaska? SF? Kansas?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement