Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Does anyone have the names for all of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Does anyone have the names for all of them?

From left to right (there's one player from every team):
    AJ Green, Josh Gordon, Nate Solder, Patrick Peterson, Janoris Jenkins, Ryan Matthews, Eric Decker, Antonio Cromartie
    Vick Ballard, Johnathan Joseph, Jay Ratliff, Evan Matthis, Golden Tate, Novarro Bowman, Antoine Winfield, Doug Martin
    Stephen Tulloch, Paul Posluszny, Stevie Johnson, Mike Pouncey, Antonio Brown, Denarius Moore, Will Smith, Antrell Rolle
    Sean Weatherspoon, Nate Washington, Pierre Garcon, Jon Beason, Eric Berry, Bernard Pollard, Lance Briggs, Casey Hayward

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

From left to right (there's one player from every team):
    AJ Green, Josh Gordon, Nate Solder, Patrick Peterson, Janoris Jenkins, Ryan Matthews, Eric Decker, Antonio Cromartie
    Vick Ballard, Johnathan Joseph, Jay Ratliff, Evan Matthis, Golden Tate, Novarro Bowman, Antoine Winfield, Doug Martin
    Stephen Tulloch, Paul Posluszny, Stevie Johnson, Mike Pouncey, Antonio Brown, Denarius Moore, Will Smith, Antrell Rolle
    Sean Weatherspoon, Nate Washington, Pierre Garcon, Jon Beason, Eric Berry, Bernard Pollard, Lance Briggs, Casey Hayward

Wow I only got 13 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Anyone see Mike Ditka on ESPN? He looks like he got into the drinks cabinet very early

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

"Only 214 more days to go until a competitive NFL game..."

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

"Only 214 more days to go until a competitive NFL game..."

:(

Well you should frown, that's just the kind of depressing statistic we don't need to be reading right now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Right no games to argue over for a few months I'm gonna try start one on PEDs!

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8904906/daring-ask-ped-question

Interesting article! Covers a lot of different sports to be fair (NBA in particular)! One point he made was that we all look back at Armstrong now and wonder how we didn't see the PED use at the time! Are we similarly doing the same with Peterson now and Lewis (plus many more NFL players)?? Or because of what has happened before can any extraordinary athletic performance/recovery be believed!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Well you should frown, that's just the kind of depressing statistic we don't need to be reading right now. :(

nah lads, sure there's free agency in march and the draft then the next month, we're grand!

right...right? :(

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Right no games to argue over for a few months I'm gonna try start one on PEDs!

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8904906/daring-ask-ped-question

Interesting article! Covers a lot of different sports to be fair (NBA in particular)! One point he made was that we all look back at Armstrong now and wonder how we didn't see the PED use at the time! Are we similarly doing the same with Peterson now and Lewis (plus many more NFL players)?? Or because of what has happened before can any extraordinary athletic performance/recovery be believed!?

I think Armstrong and his sport of cycling is unique amongst sports for the level of cheating that has gone on. You just can't cycle up Alpe d'huez one day and complete a sprint finish on at 180KM stage the next. I have no doubt that many of those throwing stones at Armstrong, are also doing so while standing in glass houses. Football puts much less demand on the body than cycling, so being able to compete at a high level can be done without drugs.

On paper, the recovery Lewis made from the triceps injury appears to be miraculous. But since I come from a medical back ground, I would refrain from questioning the man or his recovery since I do not have access to his medical records. But there is a significant difference between recovering from a partial triceps tear and a full tear. And from what I've read, it was a partial tear.

But I can understand why some will be suspicious, because Triceps tears are not common and steroid use is very often the underlying reason behind it happening. While steroid use can generate quick growth and maintain lean muscle mass. It does not have the same effect on supporting connective tissues like ligaments ect, these areas can then come under significant duress.

A big factor that easily gets over looked is the mental toughness and strong psychological focus of the athletes in question. Take Lewis and Peterson, we are talking about two highly focused and highly motivated individuals. Guys that will do the extra rehab and go above and beyond what is required from them to reach their rehab goals. I have no doubt RG3 has similar drive and will also come back quickly from injury. If he has to do 2 rehab sessions a day, then the guy will probably do 3 or more if he can.

All these guys are great players with talent in abundance, they haven't come from nowhere so to speak. But it's a sad reality of today's world that nearly everyone can be questioned or tainted RE:PED's. Personally, I'm a fan of all these guys and I prefer to take them at face value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

The Lions released Titus Young.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21641472/lions-release-titus-young

Glad he's gone. His attitude during the season was deplorable & didn't deserve a place going into the next Summers training camp. Seems to have the mindset of 12 year old, so it will be interesting to see if any team will take a chance on him & if someone does, will he change his ways.
    I'd have my doubts about either of those scenarios taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Lionbacker wrote: »

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21641472/lions-release-titus-young

Glad he's gone. His attitude during the season was deplorable & didn't deserve a place going into the next Summers training camp. Seems to have the mindset of 12 year old, so it will be interesting to see if any team will take a chance on him & if someone does, will he change his ways.

If the Lions cut you because of an attitude problem then you know you're a right.........

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Arawn wrote: »
    If the Lions cut you because of an attitude problem then you know you're a right.........

Wouldn't have been the first Lion cut because of it. Alphonso Smith was cut before the season began because of his poor attitude. But yeah, the Lions always seem to be very slow to part with troublesome players.

But, it was ultimately Titus's actions that cost him a job. He had planty of chances to redeem himself during the latter part of the year but let himself down badly with his ridiculous Twitter rants, literally asking to be cut!

Edit: Apparently Titus is completely delusional as well. Just found this beauty of a quote.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130204/SPORTS01/130204062/detroit-lions-cut-titus-young
    E.C. Robinson, Young’s high school coach, said Young came to his house on Christmas and the two talked about his problems with the Lions.

“He did tell me he thought he was just as good Megatron,” Robinson recalled late last month. “I said, ‘Titus, come on.’ I said, ‘Come on, man. Who you talking to?’ I said, ‘Come on, you’re as good as that guy? This guy is the real deal.’ And he really believes this. And he was sincere about it. ‘Ah man, I’m better than him.’ I said, ‘No you’re not. Be real man. Come on.’ So I don’t know, I’m hoping for the best for him.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Lionbacker wrote: »

That has New England all over it. Pick him up for cheap and make him earn his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That has New England all over it. Pick him up for cheap and make him earn his money.

I'd have thought he'd be more the kind of guy the Jets would be looking for...

I don't think so, but you never know. The Pats have a track record for getting the unwanted back on track. Talib being the most recent example of this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I dont think even Belicheck would go near that train wreck. Any of the "troubled" players brought in at least had massive amounts of talent. Young only looks an average WR and not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

New Jags logo....

BCXsmxKCYAAVYns.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Those ears are a bit off putting. Other than that it's a remarkable improvement on the previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Otto Skadelig

Rams claim Young off waivers, good acquisition if Fisher can keep him in check like he did with Jenkins http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000136441/article/titus-young-reportedly-claimed-by-st-louis-rams

• Advertisement

Wow that didnt take long for Young to be picked up,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Fisher takes risks. Titus Young is high risk/potential high reward.

Anyone have the figures to hand on what this will cost the Rams?!

2 years left on his Rookie contract. Roughly cost them 1.2 million

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Young to the Rams then!! Well it's not as if they have any mouthy CB's he could get into a fight with.....oh wait!!!

2 years left on his Rookie contract. Roughly cost them 1.2 million
    Worth the risk so!

In the Rams Lions game he headbutted Jenkins, so he'll have fun whether he lines up against Finnegan or Jenkins in practice

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Young to the Rams then!! Well it's not as if they have any mouthy CB's he could get into a fight with.....oh wait!!!

Doubt they have the same problems with their own team :p

The Rams desperately needed more talent in that position though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Rams for this years hardknocks?

• Advertisement

Is it guaranteed that the series is going to run this year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement