Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Is it guaranteed that the series is going to run this year?

Nothing as yet on the Hbo website or the Hard Knocks Facebook page, but fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Nice graph for the 2013 fixtures.

http://i.imgur.com/77mfIqJ.jpg

1st Sunday with no football :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

HigginsJ wrote: »
    1st Sunday with no football :mad:

I know its depressing as fcuk...i can no longer sit on the couch hungover watching football from 1pm to 12 am, eating sh1t food...i may need to get a social life now

Hazys wrote: »
    ...i may need to get a social life now

Don't do anything too rash ok..... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

You could watch the archived Superbowls on Gamepass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Two lads put cameras on their heads and waltz into the Superdome without tickets to watch the Superbowl...pretty ballsy

http://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/super-page/so-last-week-a-couple-savannah-state-students-snuck-into-the-super-bowl-and-documented-how-insanely-hard-it-was/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Looks like Perry Harvin is available for trade. There's not a team in the league who shouldn't at least consider him - would love him in NE but unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Looks like Perry Harvin is available for trade. There's not a team in the league who shouldn't at least consider him - would love him in NE but unlikely.
    I know ya meant Percy but Perry Harvin sounds like a clothing range worn by people who own yachts!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Depends what the vikes want iv heard they consider him a top 5 receiver and feel he was an MVP candidate for a bit this year so I'd imaging the price will be to high for anyone

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »
    Depends what the vikes want iv heard they consider him a top 5 receiver and feel he was an MVP candidate for a bit this year so I'd imaging the price will be to high for anyone

Is he not very injury prone to be giving up too much for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

If the Pats let Welker go, he'd be the perfect replacement and maybe an upgrade. He'd also be McDaniels wet dream lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not to mention the disciplinary issues he's supposed to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Not a hope the Vikes would get more than a 4th rounder for him. Very talented receiver, but just too injury prone to deal anything higher for him. I would say they would be much better just keeping him, but apparently he has maturity issues.

Watch the Pats go a get him for a 6th rounder where he become a model pro, stays healthy and puts up better numbers than Welker :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'd be happy to give up a second rounder for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Not to mention the disciplinary issues he's supposed to have.

The Patriots have a track record for sorting out such types, but like JaMarcus earlier, I also just can't see it happening.

That does not necessarily matter I could be wrong but I think it's one of these times where a team is saying we will trade him you can get him cheap just Aaron Rodgers a first rounder and clay Mathews in return please

The Patriots have a track record for sorting out such types, but like JaMarcus earlier, I also just can't see it happening.
    Not really they have had a small few like randy moss temporarily but a lot of guys they take on don't pan out fat Albert and a few others ended up being a waste of money the difference is harvin does not have as much upside and would cost more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Something else worth considering with Harvin is that his contract runs out at the end of next season, so who ever does decide to pull the trigger will have to negotiate a contract within a year.

I think he has a very similar trade value to that of Santonio Holmes when he was traded to the Jets for a 5th rounder. Holmes was coming off a 1200+ yard season, Superbowl MVP, only 25 (I think) and coming into the last year of his contract. Because of his contract and off the field issues he went for what seemed very little for a legit receiver.

Harvin's situation looks quite similar to Holmes (although I think Harvin is a better all round player, but has injury issues) so I don't see him going for much more than what Holmes went for.

TaosHum wrote: »
    Something else worth considering with Harvin is that his contract runs out at the end of next season, so who ever does decide to pull the trigger will have to negotiate a contract within a year.

I think he has a very similar trade value to that of Santonio Holmes when he was traded to the Jets for a 5th rounder. Holmes was coming off a 1200+ yard season, Superbowl MVP, only 25 (I think) and coming into the last year of his contract. Because of his contract and off the field issues he went for what seemed very little for a legit receiver.

Harvin's situation looks quite similar to Holmes (although I think Harvin is a better all round player, but has injury issues) so I don't see him going for much more than what Holmes went for.
    If he can be gotten for a 4th or 5th there are a few teams like the 9ers texans should jump at that

• Advertisement

Not really they have had a small few like randy moss temporarily but a lot of guys they take on don't pan out fat Albert and a few others ended up being a waste of money the difference is harvin does not have as much upside and would cost more

I was speaking about guys that we tend to take, that other teams either won't touch or just want rid of. So yes we have a track record and of course, everyone knows there are guys who haven't worked out. Talib being the most recent success, though there's no guarantee we'll be keeping him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If he can be gotten for a 4th or 5th there are a few teams like the 9ers texans should jump at that

What's his contract like? Don't think the 49ers have the Cap space unless they plan on letting Goldson hit FA.

I was speaking about guys that we tend to take, that other teams either won't touch or just want rid of. So yes we have a track record and of course, everyone knows there are guys who haven't worked out. Talib being the most recent success, though there's no guarantee we'll be keeping him.
    Talib was there for a few months ye hardly put him on the straight and narrow
    i just think its a myth that the pats take nut jobs and fix them

adrian522 wrote: »
    What's his contract like? Don't think the 49ers have the Cap space unless they plan on letting Goldson hit FA.

His contract details are as follows.....

8/2/2009: Signed a five-year, $12.05 million contract. The deal contains $8.425 million guaranteed, including a $2,158,500 roster bonus in the third season. Another $2.2 million is available through incentives. Harvin is eligible for annual workout bonuses of $27,500 throughout the contract's life. 2013: $2.9 million, 2014: Free Agent

adrian522 wrote: »

Didn't even look at it tbh but a lot of people feel goldsons gone there's moss small contract not sure who else is out of contract but I'm pretty sure they have a lot of picks this year if they have the cap

Talib was there for a few months ye hardly put him on the straight and narrow

I think you're confusing us with the Buccs there and I also suspect you obviously haven't seen him play for us. Because he had an immediate positive impact on the secondary. Once we lost him early in the Ravens game, our secondary fell apart.
    i just think its a myth that the pats take nut jobs and fix them

Believe what you want, but maybe do a Google search and see how many links support the alleged 'myth'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Didn't even look at it tbh but a lot of people feel goldsons gone there's moss small contract not sure who else is out of contract but I'm pretty sure they have a lot of picks this year if they have the cap

I think they give Goldson a decent contract, 4 or 5 years, which should mean 2013 cap hit would be not too bad.

At present the 49ers are pretty much right up against the Cap so someone is going to have to go. Names being bandied about as possible cap casualties are Goldson, Manningham,Rodgers,Goodwin,Parys Haralson. Personally I think Goodwin could go, he's on far too much to keep him.

Akers and Alex Smith will go obviously as will Moss I think.

Anyway, I don't the cap room will be there for a tier 1 receiver like Harvin or Jennings or Wallace. Tempting and all as that is I think the 49ers will bring in a cheaper receiver and draft one or more in mid rounds of the draft.

The 49ers have 14 draft picks including 3 3rd rounders so will use one of those on a wideout I feel.

Statistically (number of receptions) AJ Jenkins is the worst first round WR of all time with zero receptions.

I think you're confusing us with the Buccs there and I also suspect you obviously haven't seen him play for us. Because he had an immediate positive impact on the secondary. Once we lost him early in the Ravens game, our secondary fell apart.

Believe what you want, but maybe do a Google search and see how many links support the alleged 'myth'.
    He was always an outstanding cb that was never the issue what he got up to during the offseason was he's not some guy off the street he's been one of the leagues better defensive backs for a year or two

I understand a lot of people believe it thats why I said i felt it was a myth why would I have brought it up otherwise besides people saying it does not make it a fact how many players have they actually "sorted out"

What are the texans like cap wise they'd kill to have someone opposite Andre but I think they'll hold out for another big receiver personally

• Advertisement

Reading a little more about Harvin, apparently they are looking for a 2nd and a 4th for him. I think this would be good value for whoever picks him up.

https://twitter.com/SteveBateman99/status/300761047869038592

Also Harvin's cap figure in 2013 is set at approximately $4.02 million. That is not too much of a Cap hit at all and would make Harvin a steal for whoever picks him up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement