Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

nerd69 wrote: »
    He was always an outstanding cb that was never the issue what he got up to during the offseason was he's not some guy off the street he's been one of the leagues better defensive backs for a year or two

I understand a lot of people believe it thats why I said i felt it was a myth why would I have brought it up otherwise besides people saying it does not make it a fact how many players have they actually "sorted out"

not sure how this debate has once again turned into a Patriots type one, but there are several players who the Patriots took on who had "troubled" about them. It was only last week and some were talking about Titus Young going there due to Patriots reknowned history of taking gambles on players like that. If you dont think so, its no big deal, but its not a thing Patriots fans crow about, most other fans recognise it and discuss it.

As for players, Dillon, Hernandez, Haynesworth, Moss, Dennard, Talib, Ochocinco off the top of my head. Granted, not all worked out, and its not that unusual I dont think, but for whatever reason, the Patriots have earned a reputation for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

bruschi wrote: »
    its not that unusual I dont think, but for whatever reason, the Patriots have earned a reputation for it.

Yeah you could argue that the Bears have done something similar with Brandon Marshall. He's become a model player since coming to Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,786 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Vick staying with the Eagles for the coming season, having restructured his contract (from 15mil to 10mil). Must be no one in the draft the Eagles like the look of, or they reckon he will suit the new offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

how many players have they actually "sorted out"

Only seen this, had to get some kip because I was coming of night duty this morning. And then I also just seen this...

not sure how this debate has once again turned into a Patriots type one, but there are several players who the Patriots took on who had "troubled" about them. It was only last week and some were talking about Titus Young going there due to Patriots reknowned history of taking gambles on players like that. If you dont think so, its no big deal, but its not a thing Patriots fans crow about, most other fans recognise it and discuss it.

As for players, Dillon, Hernandez, Haynesworth, Moss, Dennard, Talib, Ochocinco off the top of my head. Granted, not all worked out, and its not that unusual I dont think, but for whatever reason, the Patriots have earned a reputation for it.

And that pretty much saves me a post.

Vick staying with the Eagles for the coming season, having restructured his contract (from 15mil to 10mil). Must be no one in the draft the Eagles like the look of, or they reckon he will suit the new offence.

It's not a good year for drafting a potential future franchise QB. Last year was a particularly exceptional year. Demand will not be met by the supply in 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

No but teams are still going to reach for a QB. Approaching draft day I'd expect at least 2 to go in the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

TaosHum wrote: »

Not a hope the Vikes would get more than a 4th rounder for him. Very talented receiver, but just too injury prone to deal anything higher for him. I would say they would be much better just keeping him, but apparently he has maturity issues.

Watch the Pats go a get him for a 6th rounder where he become a model pro, stays healthy and puts up better numbers than Welker :rolleyes:

A 4th???

If he was primarily a running back he'd be a top 10 RB in the league. Then you take into account that he's potentially a top 5 wideout and the single best kick returner in the NFL. For the first 6 games of this year he carried the Vikings as much as Peterson did at the end. His migraines have subsided now also. Anything less than a first for him and ill be devastated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    A 4th???

If he was primarily a running back he'd be a top 10 RB in the league. Then you take into account that he's potentially a top 5 wideout and the single best kick returner in the NFL. For the first 6 games of this year he carried the Vikings as much as Peterson did at the end. His migraines have subsided now also. Anything less than a first for him and ill be devastated

I think you maybe overestimating him a bit and also he is in a contract year. No way more than a 2nd. A 3rd or 4th seems a bit more probable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I agree with Hulk Hands. Harvin is easily worth a 2nd and some change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I'm probably in the minority but i think with a better Offensive Line, Vick can still do the business, he can still throw and run and has all the weapons he needs in Jackson, Maclin, McCoy, Avant and even Celek, to get the Eagles to the play offs next year......I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    A 4th???
    and the single best kick returner in the NFL.

Jacoby Jones might have somethin to say about that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

What are the texans like cap wise they'd kill to have someone opposite Andre but I think they'll hold out for another big receiver personally

Ravens can trade Jacoby Jones back to them :D

A 5th sounds reasonable

What are the texans like cap wise they'd kill to have someone opposite Andre but I think they'll hold out for another big receiver personally

I think it's $12.9 million for 2013 and that includes a carryover of $2.4 million from 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

I agree with Hulk Hands. Harvin is easily worth a 2nd and some change.

+1. Still a young player and is a genuine game changer. Injuries are the only worry but I still think he's worth a 2nd rounder.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Concern would be his attitude and his injuries, he's apparently looking for $10 million per year after next year so unless you are prepared to offer him that sort of money you need to ask is it worth giving up a 2nd and probably a 4th for a 1 year rental?

I know fans overestimate players from their own side, but I truly believe that he majority of the NFL don't realise how good Harvin is. He actually doesn't suit the vikes all that well because Peterson is obviously going to line up at RB the majority of the time. If you had Harvin at someone like the Broncos,Manning could line him up at RB 75% of the time. From there the options are endless. A top QB could hand it off to him, or split him wide or even send him in the slot depending on what they judged the defensive play to be. He would cause matchup nightmares in a top offense. Also we never see Harvin at his best because the Vikings have no deep threat to take men out of the box and create space underneath. The single most dangerous time I saw Harvin was the 4 game spell Randy Moss played with us

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

They are very cool. Love the Redskins- Bucs one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Dillon: was not had issue player he had an off year and the bengals had a player they felt was better on the roster

Hernandez: hardly a problem player

Haynesworth:did nothing dont see how ye sorted him out

Moss: one of the laziest players ever to be fair ye got him back playin like he can for a season even though it was only 1 year il give ye this one

Denard: did what exactly

Talib: ye had him for a few months he only ever had offseason issues he was an outstanding player anyway for the bucs

Ocho: basically didn't play for ye ocho was never a problem player anyway just liked to market himself off the pitch he actually regressed if anything in New England

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

"This is a place that not only did it change my future from them paying me, but it just changed me as a person," he said. "You can't come here and act reckless and do your own stuff, and was one of the persons that I came here, I might've acted the way I wanted to act, but you get changed by Bill Belichick's way. You get changed by the Patriots' way. Now that I'm a Patriot, I have to start living like one, and making the right decisions for them."

Comes across like your just trying to hate on the Patriots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Masked Man wrote: »

"This is a place that not only did it change my future from them paying me, but it just changed me as a person," he said. "You can't come here and act reckless and do your own stuff, and was one of the persons that I came here, I might've acted the way I wanted to act, but you get changed by Bill Belichick's way. You get changed by the Patriots' way. Now that I'm a Patriot, I have to start living like one, and making the right decisions for them."

Comes across like your just trying to hate on the Patriots.
    Not really while not a pats fan I actually quite like them it's insane how there fans get so up in arms about anyone not saying there the greatest thing that ever was,is and ever will be am I wrong go through the list of players that ye "sorted out" and tell me how ye have a history of sortin out troubled players

Dillon: was not had issue player he had an off year and the bengals had a player they felt was better on the roster

Dillion was cast aside as a has been, yet he transformed our running game.

Untouched in the draft because of his drug taking in college, the Pats seen the bigger picture and gave him his chance, as they usually do.

Moss: one of the laziest players ever to be fair ye got him back playin like he can for a season even though it was only 1 year il give ye this one

What Moss and Brady did together in 2007 might never be seen again in the NFL again. Your also conveniently forgetting Brady was out for 2008 with the knee injury. So discounting the big effect that losing Brady had on Moss, is simply a gross folly.
    Dennard did what exactly

He got the goddamn respect of Peyton Manning. Manning deliberately target Dennard's position when we played the Broncos, Dennard stopped, blocked or batted down everything, preventing any completions by Manning. He also became a virtual starter for us in his rookie year. He was ignored in the draft after allegedly assaulting a police officer. The Pats gave him his chance when no one else would. So that's exactly what he did.
    Talib: ye had him for a few months he only ever had offseason issues he was an outstanding player anyway for the bucs

So why is he not still playing for the Buccs then? Any idea? I'll tell you why, they offloaded him because they couldn't handle him or his attitude. He was a misfit with the Buccs, but has been a different player since coming to the Pats.

Then this happened.....
    In true Patriots fashion and having clearly been given a crash course in the Patriot Way, Talib downplays any talk that he was the reason the secondary showed some improvement over the second half of the season.

"It's definitely not me," Talib said. "It's Week 16, 17, 18... it's the coaches. Matty P. (Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia), Coach Belichick making adjustments. I just happened to come in on an adjustment."

One aspect Talib has not downplayed was his excitement in terms of landing in New England, and in the postseason. His first career playoff game came in the win over Houston, after four-plus early offseasons in his career in Tampa Bay.

"It's wonderful," Talib said. "As a player if you could pick where you wanted to play at, you want play for a team like the Patriots. God is the best of planners. He put me out here in Boston with Mr. Kraft and Coach Belichick, man, it's just a blessing."
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/talib-impressing-patriots-off-field-002005822--nfl.html

Yip, that's one hell of an attitude change alright. Some players work out and some don't, but the point you are missing is simple. The Pats are known for taking on players that many other franchises just won't touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

If I was a WR needy team like the Rams (though Amedola also plays the slot) or the Dolphins I'd drop a first rounder for Harvin in a heartbeat, he's a proven #1 receiver (at a team where passing yards are hardly plentiful) and one of most talent players in the league. Most first rounders don't even come close to what Harvin can offer the right team.

I can see someone robbing the Vikings by getting him for a second rounder because of their desire to get rid and a few mild personal issues and that team will deserve to pat itself on the back for a job well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I thought the Pats were put off signing Talib because he didn't put in enough extra work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Syferus wrote: »
    If I was a WR needy team like the Rams (though Amedola also plays the slot) or the Dolphins I'd drop a first rounder for Harvin in a heartbeat, he's a proven #1 receiver (at a team where passing yards are hardly plentiful) and one of most talent players in the league. Most first rounders don't even come close to what Harvin can offer the right team.

I can see someone robbing the Vikings by getting him for a second rounder because of their desire to get rid and a few mild personal issues and that team will deserve to pat itself on the back for a job well done.

The Dolphins were the first side I thought of when thinking of sides to pick him up. They looked very weak at WR and he could be a decent weapon for them coming out of the backfield. They need to give Tannehill some more guys to give the ball to and they've loads of cap space.

(Edit: although it now looks like Jennings could be headed that way. )

I thought the Pats were put off signing Talib because he didn't put in enough extra work?

Put off signing? No, they haven't decide anything yet. There have been recent mumblings from some media sources about work rate alright. But Talib's teammates and Belichick have all consistently praised his work ethic and attitude since he arrived. So it's all very strange and we all know Belichick doesn't give praise all to often in public. Personally, despite Talib performing well, I have an issue with his durability in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

The Dolphins were the first side I thought of when thinking of sides to pick him up. They looked very weak at WR and he could be a decent weapon for them coming out of the backfield. They need to give Tannehill some more guys to give the ball to and they've loads of cap space.

(Edit: although it now looks like Jennings could be headed that way. )

Don't think the Fins would be interested. Traded away a number 1 receiver in Marshall, who still had 3 years left on his contract, for two third rounders last year because of his antics, so I don't see them going after another headache in Harvin.

Also Harvin, has hinted that he intends on holding out if he does not get a new contract. So not only will a team have to part ways with a draft pick for an injury prone player, but they will also need room for cap space, as he will want to get paid.

I'm adamant he is not going for more than a 4th because of his contract situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

TaosHum wrote: »
    so I don't see them going after another headache in Harvin.

If that was intentional, then brilliant :D

He's not injury prone at all. He had a terrible migraine problem which has been dealt with and should no longer be an issue. He missed a couple of games this year due to an ankle problem and then blew up at Leslie Frazier so they put him on IR. I wouldnt be worrying about injuries at all with him

He's worth a 4th for his KR abilities alone, never mind everything else he brings to the table

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Where's the best place to watch preview/reviews match's of some nfl games?
    Like you those previews they show before a game when the 2 teams met before or reviews kinda like these 2
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap2000000114018/Sound-FX-49ers-vs-Patriots

I'd say the nfl website is probably the best bet but just seeing if there's any other

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement