Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Scroll down and click on Greg Jennings photo

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Fred Davis in trouble Allegedly

http://thenewsportsguru.com/nfl/redskins-fred-davis-dumping-a-drink-on-a-woman-and-allegedly-throwing-a-bottle-at-her-video
    Washington Redskins tight end, Fred Davis, was in court last week for his throwing a bottle in a Night Club incident. Early this morning, the lawyer in question passed along video of the biggest point of contention in the case – did Fred Davis throw a bottle at Makini Chaka, or did it “release” from his hand, as he claims? Here’s what Davis said in court:

Davis repeatedly denied throwing the bottle, even after a video of the incident was shown in court clearly showing Davis throwing the bottle at Chaka.

“I didn’t throw the bottle—the bottle came out of my hand,” he said at one point.

“I release it, I didn’t throw it.”

“I didn’t throw it at her. Period.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I dunno if this is brand new but im drunk and I've not noticed it before maybe it's cos I'm drunk but one of the proposed rule changes is that any player lowering there head(crown) going into contact is going to be done for uneccery roughness. I really can't get behind this rule, as much as I am in favour of player safety I think this is one is that bit to far, some of the best tackles/offensive trucks are done by getting low this way

Arawn wrote: »
    I dunno if this is brand new but im drunk and I've not noticed it before maybe it's cos I'm drunk but one of the proposed rule changes is that any player lowering there head(crown) going into contact is going to be done for uneccery roughness. I really can't get behind this rule, as much as I am in favour of player safety I think this is one is that bit to far, some of the best tackles/offensive trucks are done by getting low this way

Being someone involved with coaching im all about safety but this proposed rule is ridiculous. Runningbacks are thought to lead and lower with their shoulders when going through people. Their head naturally lowers with the shoulder. A fair few NFL backs have posted on twitter saying how daft the rule is. I get what the NFL are trying to do but you rarely see guy have to get up and shake off after a back has gone through them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Has the NFL nothing better to be doing, aside from making a balls of the game with these stupid rule changes? Are they trying to destroy the run game altogether? How in fúcks name is a players natural motion to protect his head and neck, suddenly going to be deemed unnecessary roughness?:confused:

TO. wrote: »
    Being someone involved with coaching im all about safety but this proposed rule is ridiculous. Runningbacks are thought to lead and lower with their shoulders when going through people. Their head naturally lowers with the shoulder. A fair few NFL backs have posted on twitter saying how daft the rule is. I get what the NFL are trying to do but you rarely see guy have to get up and shake off after a back has gone through them.

Just coming back to this. I just finished a discussion on one of the coaches forums I'm on and there was a good lengthy discussion on this and to be honest it has opened my eyes slightly more to what the NFL seem to be after.

Many modern running backs are actually dropping their head first and leading with the head and as they make contact then the shoulder is lowered. It seems there is going to be a fine line here again and those running backs who go back to basics with their fundamentals will be penalised here also. The fundamentals teach you to turn, lower and lead with your shoulder while making contact not to drop and lead with your head.

It is going to be a highly debatable topic and there will be justified fines handed out and there will also be ridiculous fines handed out. Once again the NFL can't seem to draw a line on these collisions.

More on the proposed helmut rule change....

http://www.nflevolution.com/article/Competition-committee-8217-s-Jeff-Fisher-discusses-proposed-hit-rule?ref=7176

The rationale makes perfect sense, but the implemetation of it on the field undoubtedly won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Anyone get tickets for the vikings roadshow on next week, the emails went out today for anyone who applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭redsky7

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Anyone get tickets for the vikings roadshow on next week, the emails went out today for anyone who applied.
    didn't get an email :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

redsky7 wrote: »
    didn't get an email :(

same here....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Nfl Ireland on Facebook are giving away some.

The NFL has just passed the crown-of-the-helmet-rule by a wide margin. The tuck rule has also been eliminated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think I'm one of the people who like the helmet rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I like it too, but I'll still sympathise with players who are going to be penalized when they lower the shoulder yet the helmet makes contact first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

I'm on the fence until I see it happening in real time. I do think though its going to be quite difficult to enforce

They'll make a few bad calls at first but then it should be fine. The ridiculous over-reactions to the few bad calls should be very entertaining at least.

I like the fact they are trying to stamp out "Leading with the Crown" but it is going to be very hard to police and knowing the NFL they wont be able to draw a line under what is the right way or wrong way and it wont be case by case and unnecessary flags and fines will be thrown out. There is a fine line between the basic runningback fundamentals in lower and leading with your shoulder and players blatantly lowering their head first. Some of the discussions in the coaches forums I use are very informative and very heated about this. It is cool to see the different views on it.

They'll make a few bad calls at first but then it should be fine.

I don't agree. They still haven't gotten the tacklers leading with their heads right yet after what 2 seasons at this point.

I like the fact they are trying to stamp out "Leading with the Crown" but it is going to be very hard to police and knowing the NFL they wont be able to draw a line under what is the right way or wrong way and it wont be case by case and unnecessary flags and fines will be thrown out. There is a fine line between the basic runningback fundamentals in lower and leading with your shoulder and players blatantly lowering their head first. Some of the discussions in the coaches forums I use are very informative and very heated about this. It is cool to see the different views on it.
    I don't agree. They still haven't gotten the tacklers leading with their heads right yet after what 2 seasons at this point.

They haven't been bad. Refs still get holding an interferences calls wrong regularly and those rules have been in for god knows how long. They always make bad calls, no matter what the rule is, but I expect the number to decrease as time goes on.

• Advertisement

When a player lines up a target and clearly leads with the crown, then this rule makes total sense from a safety perspective. But there will be an awful lot of grey areas on the field. The officials are going to be in for a rough ride on this one.

They haven't been bad. Refs still get holding an interferences calls wrong regularly and those rules have been in for god knows how long. They always make bad calls, no matter what the rule is, but I expect the number to decrease as time goes on.

But one thing you seem to be missing here. It is not just the flag that is the issue. It is the fines that come during the week after that are a bigger problem. Players who got away without a flag been throwing on them whether right fundamentals or not are still under scrutiny the week after and still face fines. As for them not being that bad with regards tackling, sure the flags might not have been but some of the fines were ridiculous and they havent come down at all.

As for making other bad calls none of them carry fines after the game and none of them cost players money whether right or wrong. There is a big difference here so not comparable.

But one thing you seem to be missing here. It is not just the flag that is the issue. It is the fines that come during the week after that are a bigger problem. Players who got away without a flag been throwing on them whether right fundamentals or not are still under scrutiny the week after and still face fines. As for them not being that bad with regards tackling, sure the flags might not have been but some of the fines were ridiculous and they havent come down at all.

As for making other bad calls none of them carry fines after the game and none of them cost players money whether right or wrong. There is a big difference here so not comparable.

What is fines a bigger problem? If a guy gets away without getting a penalty then I see no reason he shouldn't be fined. I'd also like to think that players wrongly flagged will not get a flag. I honestly can't think of many fines that should not have been given, certainly a lot more correct fines then incorrect.

What is fines a bigger problem?

No idea what you are asking here.
    If a guy gets away without getting a penalty then I see no reason he shouldn't be fined. I'd also like to think that players wrongly flagged will not get a flag. I honestly can't think of many fines that should not have been given, certainly a lot more correct fines then incorrect.

This is the problem especially the bit in bold. There should be no fines at all for guys who did nothing wrong. But there were more than enough fines thrown on Defensive guys last season who didn't lead with their crowns.

As for Runningbacks as I said there is too many grey areas here as the fundamental teachings can see a guy hit another guy with the crown of his head and if the NFL deal with this the way they have with tacklers many of the NFL RB will see fines for "leading with their crown" even though they didn't.

As I sad I am not against the NFL stamping leading with the crown, but once the do each hit on a case by case basic and don't start handing out fines to guys who never actually lead with their crown and followed basic fundamentals.

This is what one of the coaches I know said in one of the discussions and he is right:
    The proper technique that most power backs use is to pull your neck and put your facemask into the defender. It is perfectly safe for both the runner and tackler. However in the execution of the move the crown of the helmet might come into play due to anything from downward momentum to bad timing and everything in between. It is much easier to police defensive players leading with the crown because many of them are in an upward fashion.

Now having said that some coaches are teaching newer fundamentals with using the shoulder more but again like the above the head plays a big part on follow through contact.

No idea what you are asking here.

should have been "why" instead of "what". :o

This is the problem especially the bit in bold. There should be no fines at all for guys who did nothing wrong. But there were more than enough fines thrown on Defensive guys last season who didn't lead with their crowns.

As for Runningbacks as I said there is too many grey areas here as the fundamental teachings can see a guy hit another guy with the crown of his head and if the NFL deal with this the way they have with tacklers many of the NFL RB will see fines for "leading with their crown" even though they didn't.

As I sad I am not against the NFL stamping leading with the crown, but once the do each hit on a case by case basic and don't start handing out fines to guys who never actually lead with their crown and followed basic fundamentals.

This is what one of the coaches I know said in one of the discussions and he is right:

Now having said that some coaches are teaching newer fundamentals with using the shoulder more but again like the above the head plays a big part on follow through contact.

I agree there should be no fines for did anything wrong but I think the instances of fines for guys who did nothing wrong is very small. I can't think of many that have happened so far off the top of my head. I'm not sure the potential for fining a few guys incorrectly should mean no rule at all. I do think it's an important safety issue that needs to implemented. I'd rather see a player fined wrongly then a player badly injured.

Pretty sure all fines are on a case-by-case basis but you still have people with different interpenetrations and there will also be calls people agree/disagree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Couple of sneak peeks of the new Jaguars and Dolphins jerseys have leaked. Dolphins one is pretty much just the logo, the guy taking the pictures had to hide the fact.

3Cd0NQX.jpg

BFsmFd0CQAA5ww_.jpg:large

simpsonsnflstereotypesf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Ha, love the Jets and the Lions ones, so appropriate!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ha, love the Jets and the Lions ones, so appropriate!

Making Gill the Browns was also a touch of genius.

Also Homer is a Bears fan, this is something I'm on board with. Although in the show he's quite clearly a Broncos fan (or owner, or aspiring starting quarter back)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Making Gill the Browns was also a touch of genius.

Also Homer is a Bears fan, this is something I'm on board with. Although in the show he's quite clearly a Broncos fan (or owner, or aspiring starting quarter back)

Gill as the Browns really is genius. Love crazy cat lady as the Jets.
    Fat Tony as Saints is very clever too.

Pity no Giants one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement