Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Registered Users Posts: 38,133 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

On the homepage of nfl.com there is a video to watch of Pete Carroll mic'd up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Jets pick former Raven Trevor pryce according to reports.

UPDATE: Trevor Pryce didn't make it to Florham Park, N.J., in time for the start of practice Thursday, but he was en route, according to a team source.

Rex Ryan stole one from his former team, the Baltimore Ravens.

On Wednesday, the Ravens released veteran DE Trevor Pryce, with the stated goal of re-signing him later in the week or perhaps next week. They were juggling their roster and wanted to make room for S Ken Hamlin. But the New York Jets, short on defensive linemen, swooped in and ruined the Ravens' plan.

The Jets reportedly have signed Pryce, who will be reunited with Ryan, a former Ravens defensive coordinator. The Ravens can't be happy with Ryan, but, hey, Pryce was fair game. Because he's a vested veteran, he wasn't exposed to waivers. He was a free agent, and the Jets pounced.

Smart move by the Jets. Pryce isn't the double-digit sacker he was early in his career -- he has produced little this season -- but the Jets have been hit hard by injuries on the line. NT Kris Jenkins is out for the season with a knee injury, and promising backup DE Ropati Pitoitua tore an Achilles' tendon in the preseason.

The Jets were down to Shaun Ellis, Mike DeVito and Vernon Gholston at end. The Pryce move could allow Gholston to concentrate on outside linebacker, where he might be needed due to injuries to Calvin Pace (foot) and Jamaal Westerman (ankle).

Pryce is an old warhorse, familiar with Ryan's system. The Jets are aquiring a lot of antiques, but they're in a win-now mode and this move makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

davyjose wrote: »

Just watching the Gameday video of Bears Giants match
    Listen to "primetime" (hate that nickname) and Sapps reaction when Cutler is taken out.
    They clearly don't care.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b0ca95/article/after-nine-firsthalf-sacks-cutler-exits-with-concussion?module=HP_headlines

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Bit late but it seems Roy Williams got his revenge on Dez byrant for not carrying his pads. :pac:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4672742/dez-bryant-takes-the-team-out-for-54000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Bit late but it seems Roy Williams got his revenge on Dez byrant for not carrying his pads. :pac:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4672742/dez-bryant-takes-the-team-out-for-54000

So the cost of not carrying william's pads, just under 60k. . lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Roy Williams, not a man to be messed with!

Reporters asked head coach Wade Philips about it.
    In case it affects morale or such
    Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said Wednesday that he was not bothered by the $55,000 bill rookie WR Dez Bryant footed for a meal with his teammates this week.

"It's OK with me if I'm invited," Phillips said with a laugh (via ESPN). "I wasn't invited."

Poor Wade was left out

Marshawn Lynch traded to the Seahawks, according to Adam Shefter's twitter.

"Jay Glazer of FOX reports that the Seahawks have finagled Lynch from the Bills for a fourth-round pick in 2011 and a conditional pick in 2012."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Dolphins fire John Bonamego, the special teams coordinator. Doubt that will surprise anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Melvin Bullitt out for the season with a shoulder injury. This could be the year the Colts miss the playoffs.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20101005/SPORTS03/10050385/Shoulder-injury-takes-Colts-Bullitt-out-for-season?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Queens talking with Pats about a trade for Moss :eek:.

The Minnesota Vikings are attempting to pull off their biggest blockbuster since acquiring Brett Favre.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Minnesota Vikings and New England Patriots have been in serious trade talks and are very close to a deal that would send All-Pro wide receiver Randy Moss back to the team that drafted him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Randy-Moss-trade-New-England-Patriots-Minnesota-Vikings-100510

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Yeah just seen that come up on the ticker during the Troy @ MTSU game. Maybe Moss is pissed at not getting any receptions yesterday. :D

I don't believe that will happen for even a millisecond. No way, no how.

If this happens I'm gonna be like WTF???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't believe that will happen for even a millisecond. No way, no how.

If this happens I'm gonna be like WTF???

I do believe it will happen. Cash in on him now before his contract runs up. Ridiculous getting rid of our only deep threat but when has Bill's wheeling and dealing ever been normal. Although it will hinge on the Vikes ponying up large contract to keep Moss happy.

I do believe it will happen. Cash in on him now before his contract runs up. Ridiculous getting rid of our only deep threat but when has Bill's wheeling and dealing ever been normal. Although it will hinge on the Vikes ponying up large contract to keep Moss happy.
    Only thing I can think is that we are going to get Vincent Jackson if he goes. Like we have no deep threat if he goes, not only a deep threat but one that warrants double coverage by most teams. We'd want to be getting a no.1 pick for a trade like that at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭henryhenry

Most reports mention a third round pick. Hardly cashing in. Particularly when you think about the possible compensatory draft pick if he left as a free agent (likely a third round pick, albeit in 2012).

Just doesn't make sense to me at that rate.

I'm shocked.

A 3rd round pick is not worth it, we'll have no deep threat for the rest of the season, which will greatly affect our receiving TEs, Welker and Edelman. Can Tate or Price step up? Its too much to ask.

Moss knows he's only going to get $10m a year now or else he'll be earning $5m a year or so at the end of the season off the Patriots and prob not much more off other teams.

Get rid of him now and get a 3rd round pick or at the end of the season and get nothing...id take nothing, especially since we are stacked for this year's draft.

henryhenry wrote: »
    Most reports mention a third round pick. Hardly cashing in. Particularly when you think about the possible compensatory draft pick if he left as a free agent (likely a third round pick, albeit in 2012).

Just doesn't make sense to me at that rate.

A 3rd round pick to Bill Belichick is never nothing. Considering if he stays til the end of the season and the Pats don't win anything and he leaves, A 3rd round pick is certainly cashing in. It may not be a lucrative deal for the Pats or something he is worth but a pick to Bill means more wheeling and dealing in a draft. And that is better than sweet fook all.

Look to me the deal is sh1te either way. But realism has to come into play. Moss doesn't want to stay and the Pats want to get something for him. Given all the reports they all suggest the Pats and Moss talked about this deal. And looking at his body language over the last few weeks he is gone back to that moany dude we gambled on in the first place. It certainly fooks us up if he goes and no Pats fan can be happy with it but it is what it is.

It'd have to be a least a 2nd and 3rd for me to be content with this.

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »
    It'd have to be a least a 2nd and 3rd for me to be content with this.

Without replacing him I will never be content. I wish the Pats would get off cloud 9 and realise we need Randy Moss. When does it end trading away players we actually do need without replacing them. Seymour anyone?

Just updated a few minutes ago....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/05/pats-say-there-is-no-trade/
    Rumor quickly became reality on Tuesday night, with FOX's Jay Glazer reporting that the Patriots are close to shipping receiver Randy Moss back to the Vikings.

Now, the Minnesota and Boston media are pursuing the story like Homer chasing a chocolate-filled Uter with a wet towel.

Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald reports that the Patriots are saying "there is no trade." In this regard, conjugation could be critical. They're not saying "there will be no trade." They're only saying "there is no trade." And Glazer hasn't reported that there "is" a trade.

Rapoport also reports that he's told a trade is not "done," but he confirms that a trade is being discussed.

Albert Breer, formerly of the Boston Globe and now with NFL Network (congrats, by the way, Mr. Breer) reports that "no one is shooting this down, when given the chance to" and "omething's happening."

So stay tuned. We'll be on this thing all night if need be.

After all, that kid has bosoms.

AlbertBreerGary_Tanguay sources say Moss showed up unhappy today. He and BB had words. He is gone to Vikes if he and Minn workout a new deal

This sucks, what a giant baby Moss is. I dont see any more news coming out till the morning but i'd say Moss is gone. Gone Baby Gone

Hazys wrote: »

This sucks, what a giant baby Moss is. I dont see any more news coming out till the morning but i'd say Moss is gone. Gone Baby Gone

We knew this day would eventually come when we signed him. Just like TO I feel Moss will never win a bowl. Their egos and attitudes standing in the way of that.

Is this really gonna happen? I can't see it. Aside from Monday*, it's the Offense that was keeping you guys as realistic Playoff contenders. Removing Moss from the situation dilutes that significantly. Even if he's not 100% commited, & only making 3,4 catches a game, defenses know they still have to cover him, or he'll crucify them.

I'm not BB, but without Moss, I can't see the Pats being very competitive at all.

*Games like that don't happen very often.

We knew this day would eventually come when we signed him. Just like TO I feel Moss will never win a bowl. Their egos and attitudes standing in the way of that.

Bit harsh considering his 98 & 07 seasons. Bad luck he doesn't have at least one.

Ah come on Tallaght, only for a miraculous catch he had his superbowl in 2007.

davyjose wrote: »
    Bit harsh considering his 98 & 07 seasons. Bad luck he doesn't have at least one.

How is it harsh? Like TO he failed to win a bowl and has gone on a downward spiral with his attitude since. As the years have gone on and our chances of winning a bowl began slipping away his attitude resurfaced just like TO. Guys like these two as great as they are need their egos stroked constantly and need to be centre of attention. Moss feels he is no longer getting that so time to move on etc etc etc.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ah come on Tallaght, only for a miraculous catch he had his superbowl in 2007.

But did the Pats win the bowl? No we fooking didn't. Close or not we didn't get it. But you and Davyjose are missing my point all together. See my post above.

• Advertisement

But did the Pats win the bowl? No we fooking didn't. Close or not we didn't get it. But you and Davyjose are missing my point all together. See my post above.
    The guy is a fantastic receiver, he was only targeted once last night and he is chasing the great Jerry Rice's records. I can understand how he would be pissed given the awesome catches he has already made this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement