Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

davyjose wrote: »
    Not as drastic as ditching Pat for the flying Elvis though, was it?

The Minuteman head logo is a very clear association with the Minutemen/Patriots who fought in the American Revolutionary War. Hence the link to the Pats is very easliy made. I loved the logo changeover from day one, because it's much sleeker and iconic. So I don't see any comparsion between what the Dolphins have done and what the Pats did in the past.The Dolphins new logo is simply rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

How we now lads ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Syferus wrote: »
    In all seriousness, the old Patriots logo is up there with the Buccs gay Spanish pirate in terms of silly looking logos. And we're taking in the context of America, the Mecca of silly looking logos.

I love the old skool Pats logo and especially when they breakout the throwback jerseys...i think those jerseys are extremely classy and stylish

pats_thennow.jpg

tom_brady_yell.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

In all seriousness, the old Patriots logo is up there with the Buccs' gay Spanish pirate in terms of silly looking logos. And we're taking in the context of America, the Mecca of silly looking logos.

Ah, the usual hating, with a bit of Homophobia thrown in for good measure.

Hazys wrote: »
    I love the old skool Pats logo and especially when they breakout the throwback jerseys...i think those jerseys are extremely classy and stylish

I'd really love if we went back to the old jersey colour scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Gronkastic wrote: »
    Ah, the usual hating, with a bit of Homophobia thrown in for good measure.

:pac:

Hazys wrote: »

pats_thennow.jpg

tom_brady_yell.jpg

I think almost all retro jerseys - even objectively hideous ones like the Buccs original lollipop uniforms - look cool on some level, I'd wish sports here would copy that whole trend. Sometimes it's hard to separate a logo from the misty-eyed rose-tinted feelings they give us and look at them as logos and designs alone. The actually design of the throwback Patriots uniforms are pretty excellent. American football and american sports in general have tended towards more classical designs on jerseys even to this day and the US ironically seems to be one of the only countries that hasn't destroyed aesthetically pleasing jersey design with massive sponsorship logos.

The old Pats logo is just an angry looking cartoonish revolutionary with a football. It feels like something you'd see in Microsoft Office clip art to me - the first thing you do is smirk at its pure unadulterated kitschness. I don't think that style of logo particularly fits american football and the shape of it really doesn't blend well with the proportions of football helmets. NE's new logo is way better as an icon and one that's relatively timeless in the same way the Browns or Bears logos are.

As an aside I was looking up logos while I was typing this and I found the original 49ers logo, which is iconic of wonderfully poor design choices:

6872.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

I'd really love if we went back to the old jersey colour scheme.

Same but I do love the old logo to go with it. I don't think the new logo would ever work with the old colour scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

TO. wrote: »
    All the old Logos were simple and cartoonist because technology for designing logos and putting them on everything was limited. It was hard for guys to throw together proper sleek logos that could be printed on everything

Have you even looked at the Browns logo, the Bears logo, the Packers logo, the Colts logo or any number of logo designs from companies in the pre-1970s, TO? To say that the design aesthetic of the era was cartoonish - or even forced by technology - is factually incorrect.

Some of the most iconic and timeless logos and designs come from the era the angry minuteman logo was created in. Look up Massimo Vignelli or Wim Crouwel if you want to disagree. The trend in terms of good designers in that era was towards European minimalism, not Marvel Comics rip-offs.

Have you even looked at the Browns logo, the Bears logo, the Packers logo, the Colts logo or any number of logo designs from companies in the pre-1970s, TO? To say that the design aesthetic of the era was cartoonish - or even forced by technology - is factually incorrect.

What have some teams basic logos got to do with what I said? Not every team wanted complicated logos. Most teams especially the Bears and Packers are all about tradition so changing the simple logo which is part of the teams history is and was never going to happen. It all has to do with branding and many teams simply wont change and if they do it will be the slightest of change.

When teams started to want cartoon or bigger logos, technology went against them and you see these big clearly hand drawn cartoon and other logos sprout up. Printing and the lack of ability to refine them when putting them on things had them look in some cases crap. Had the technology that is around today been around for when the minuteman was designed it would have the cartoon look to an extent but be a lot more refined and not as goofy. Sure goofy cartoon images were all the rage for a long time but guys were limited with what they could and couldn't do with them.
    Some of the most iconic and timeless logos and designs come from the era the angry minuteman logo was created in. Look up Massimo Vignelli or Wim Crouwel if you want to disagree. The trend in terms of good designers in that era was towards European minimalism, not Marvel Comics rip-offs.

What has this go to do with anything? Are we talking about Sports team logos or timeless famous logos and designs done by famous designers? They have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Stop trying to make yourself look smart by bring Crouwel and Vignelli into the equation. I have studied both of their work and they have no bearing on US sports teams logos of the same era. Such nonsense by you as usual.

I have studied graphic design and still am and also know the business side of things also. So if you want to play this I am smarter than you card and throw in random historic facts to make it look like you know what you are talking about feel free to do so RayRay.

TO. wrote: »
    Same but I do love the old logo to go with it. I don't think the new logo would ever work with the old colour scheme.

I did a very rough photoshop and I think the new logo doesn't look too bad at all with the throwback uniform.

5gCwJX.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

It's decent, but they'd have to darken the blue on the shoulders to go with it. I just think our red throwback is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Brandon Albert not at voluntary workouts, at least they know he's not lost
    proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBgpaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0cGljLmNvbS9zaG93L2xhcmdlL2NmNWV5eS5qcGcUBBYAEgA&s=xxG3M9fDs2vzFJfGVxQDtpEbyL3SxPbKKATbQwgx3vY

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Read this interesting fact today.

In the 2009 NFL draft the Dallas Cowboys selected 12 players. Of the 12 players picked a big fat 0 remain on the roster. That's a pretty decent waste of draft picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Otto Skadelig

Their earliest selection was in the 3rd round, the biggest waste had to be on David Buehler, preformed well at the combine but a strong leg and a fast 40 doesnt make a good kicker. The Pats had 12 picks that year too and only two remain on the roster. Vollmer and Pryor

The Pats had 12 picks that year too and only two remain on the roster. Vollmer and Pryor

Do you have the inside track on Edelman or something? Because he remains unsigned as a FA and with his injury record, he'll probably be delighted if the Pats resign him. So they might have 3 picks left on the roster yet and so how does this equate to the Coboys who have 0?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Do you have the inside track on Edelman or something? Because he remains unsigned as a FA and with his injury record, he'll probably be delighted if the Pats resign him. So they might have 3 picks left on the roster yet and so how does this equate to the Coboys who have 0?

2 or 3 out of 12 is still terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

He used the word 'remain' which is a fact. No need to be an ass about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You seem to have a serious issue when people say anything negative about the Pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I watched the latest J. Russell clip. I'm starting to find myself supporting him. He's shown dedication for the first time ever, now it's likely that he's dedicated to get some money cause he broke ass po!

Anyway, I think he started 6 months to a year to late to have a legit chance at making it to a teams training camp. Even at 260 which I think is his aim he'll just be too big to finish games at a high level. What separated him from others was his arm and measurables not his brain and it's hard to imagine that they will be as strong as before.

SantryRed wrote: »

You seem to have a serious issue when people say anything negative about the Pats.

Giving your opinion is allowed you know and it really shouldn't be constrained by what team you support.

• Advertisement

I watched the latest J. Russell clip. I'm starting to find myself supporting him.

I have my head stuck in the sand on this one, because I fear it will just end badly for the guy.

To be fair dude most of our drafts since Bill came a long have left us with very few guys we drafted left on our roster. The fact we traded out of a lot of picks and picked in later rounds higher chance of guys not working out.

For me it has always been both good and bad. We have missed some cracking players over the years but also saved on not picking busts. But the numbers don't lie we barely hang on to most of the picks made in most drafts. So many have come and gone.

I will say though how Bill drafts has worked 10 times better than the likes of the Cowboys anyways who just tend to waste picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Brian Banks is going to Atlanta, fantastic that he gets a shot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Went back and looked at the 49ers draft that year(2009), we only have Crabtree still on the roster. Goes to show that 4 years of turnover will really change the face of most rosters.

49ers had Gen Coffee retire after one season, Nate Davis was cut after 1 year. Bear Pascoe never made the roster. Curtis Taylor only lasted 2 seasons before being cut. Ricky Jean-Francois was a decent pick and played out his contract and left in Free agency this year.

Alex Boone was an undrafted FA and is still with the 49ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

It would be interesting if there were stats on the percentage of players drafted as opposed to free agents/trades that played each snap in a game/season per team! Wonder would the more successful teams have a higher percentage of draft picks playing!

Intresting article here on the most successful drafting teams of recent years..https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1579957-who-is-the-best-drafting-team-in-the-nfl. Top three teams are The Patriots, Ravens and the 49er's.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Brian Banks is going to Atlanta, fantastic that he gets a shot.

HBO will be begging them for Hard Knocks this year. Would be some story, him trying to make the roster.

Whatever happened to the lying cow who sent Banks to prison?

Whatever happened to the lying cow who sent Banks to prison?

Nothing, afaik. I maybe be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Nothing, afaik. I maybe be wrong though.

Ye dont think anything happened, didnt have to repay the money either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement