Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paully D wrote: »
    ..hopefully the 145 days until the NFL 2013 opener will go just as fast!

Ya see, I just don't want to be reading that. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

NFL schedule has been put back and now is not confirmed when it will be released, damn fools i want to book my trip :mad:

NFL schedule has been put back and now is not confirmed when it will be released..

Fecking arséwipes. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Really enjoy the fact the NFL season is so short, actually. Compared to other foreign leagues I keep an eye on like the NBA or EPL the size of the NFL season allows me to actually focu on it the whole season rather than keep tabs on it like you have to with other leagues.

I don't miss it too badly because you know the wait means a more condensed and enjoyable product when it is in-season.

Syferus wrote: »
    Really enjoy the fact the NFL season is so short..

5sgTfB.jpg

..I don't miss it too badly..

82jKzw.jpg

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Danny Amendola on twitter
    I will DONATE $100 for EVERY pass I catch next season to whatever "Boston Marathon Relief Fund" there is. And $200 for any dropped pass.
    Undoubtedly jumping on the PR bandwagon but still, a good incentive for not dropping any passes :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Big time, but fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I love watching games as much as anyone but I do love the fact that even with 8 months of the year featuring no actual football I still spend an hour every day on SI, ESPN and other sites getting as much news as possible about free agency, the draft, rookie contracts, OTAs, training camp.....I really dont think that any other sport comes close to blanket year round coverage!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

frostie500 wrote: »
    I love watching games as much as anyone but I do love the fact that even with 8 months of the year featuring no actual football I still spend an hour every day on SI, ESPN and other sites getting as much news as possible about free agency, the draft, rookie contracts, OTAs, training camp.....I really dont think that any other sport comes close to blanket year round coverage!

I hate that I do that but can't stop I'm lookin at espn for the 3rd time that day and realising its about 6am in America and still expecting something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Pity Ted Ginn doesn't donate $200 a drop. The charity would raise millions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Just a random observation, but there seems to be a lot of players in the league with J as their second initial.

AJ Green
    BJ Raji
    CJ Spiller
    DJ Williams
    EJ Biggars
    JJ Watt

Any more? (Im really bored, but would be cool to get the whole alphabet :P )

KJ Choi is unfortunately a golfer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

AJ Jenkins apparently is "in the league" though has yet to catch a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Just a random observation, but there seems to be a lot of players in the league with J as their second initial.

AJ Green
    BJ Raji
    CJ Spiller
    DJ Williams
    EJ Biggars
    JJ Watt

Any more? (Im really bored, but would be cool to get the whole alphabet :P )

KJ Choi is unfortunately a golfer.

God its a long off season :D

Slow day at work DDC? :P

Finished work :)

Found an RJ Stanford playing (sorta) for the Dolphins.

Trying to get the whole alphabet!

EDIT : http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147130/article/qb-gj-kinne-signs-twoyear-deal-with-philadelphia-eagles

Boom! GJ Kinne :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Go on i'll play KJ Wright at the Seahwaks.

MJD :pac:

Do past/future players count? OJ Simpson, PJ Lonergan, TJ Houshmanzazadaehzhah.

Danny Amendola on twitter
    I will DONATE $100 for EVERY pass I catch next season to whatever "Boston Marathon Relief Fund" there is. And $200 for any dropped pass.
    Undoubtedly jumping on the PR bandwagon but still..

5sJcNZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

MJD :pac:

Do past/future players count? OJ Simpson, PJ Lonergan, TJ Houshmanzazadaehzhah.

EJ Henderson

Also there not a current CB on the Panthers called DJ Moore?

Fixtures out Thursday night!!!

Friday will spend planning :pac:

• Advertisement

Fixtures out Thursday night!!!

Friday will spend planning :pac:

Delighted for ya.

* Puts fist through monitor. *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Pat Summerall died today. When I first got into the NFL, I always remember him and Madden doing the commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Pat Summerall died today. When I first got into the NFL, I always remember him and Madden doing the commentary.

That's a shame, Summerall was a legend of the game and had a terrific as a player and then in TV. Big part of my early experiences watching the game was with him as the commentator

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Just watched Luke j on grudens qb camp pretty sure he's gna be a pro bowl player a lot of his career can't emphasise how impressive he was

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

5sgTfB.jpg
    :P

Beyond the fact it'd be incredibly dangerous to extend the regular season any longer the biggest selling point of the sport is there being no fluff. There's, what, 164 regular season MLB games a year? Countless mickey mouse secondary competitions in soccer, main leagues that stretch to almost forty game seasons. Even rugby suffers in similar ways. So much of the length of a sport's season is dictated by how much money business heads feel they can squeeze from the public and from players, it's not designed around offering the best product on the field of play.

I don't doubt the NFL is exactly the same way but the level of physicality means it's near-unique in professional sport in offering so few games a year.

What's rare is wonderful. The absence of the sport for a large portion of the year is a huge part of what drives the passion for it. Would the league make more money if, say, the league season was twice as long? Sure. Would most fans be as enthused as they are now? I highly doubt it.

What's rare is wonderful. The absence of the sport for a large portion of the year is a huge part of what drives the passion for it. Would the league make more money if, say, the league season was twice as long? Sure. Would most fans be as enthused as they are now? I highly doubt it.

I've been an NFL fan now for 30 years now and I still can't get enough of it. I would love to see a longer season and I'd say a lot of fans would. My love for the game would not be affected whether teams play 16 games or 26 games. I don't need to be be starved of games to maintain my love or passion for the game.

We all know there are safety issues in extending the number of regular season games. But here's a suggestion I would make.

16 Games - every 4th game would be followed by a two week rest period. This would give teams two weeks to rest and recuperate banged up players. At the same time you are extending the season by an extra month without exposing players to increased games. In fact with such regular rest periods fitted in, I reckon you are going to increase the performance potential of every team straight away.

The next change I would make is to the team roster size. If the NFL is so concerned about player safety.Then it makes sense to increase roster sizes. This gives teams a chance to have some more quality backs ups available and to rest battered players. I would increase roster sizes to 59.Of course cap space would have to be adjusted to accomodate this change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd actually prefer to keep it at 16 games. With a short number of games it makes every game so important - with 26 games you'd have far more dead-rubbers at the end of the season. With no relegation being a fan of a crap team as I am I'd lose interest fairly sharpish in them. Having the talent diluted due to injury/resting would also make it less enjoyable.

I'd actually prefer to keep it at 16 games. With a short number of games it makes every game so important - with 26 games you'd have far more dead-rubbers at the end of the season. With no relegation being a fan of a crap team as I am I'd lose interest fairly sharpish in them. Having the talent diluted due to injury/resting would also make it less enjoyable.

26 games would be crazy, I only mentioned it in jest. But my serious suggestion earlier, talked about keeping a 16 game season and stretching the season out by an extra month

• Advertisement

In more important news:

I've remembered TJ Lang of the Packers... actually the Packers have a few.

BJ Raji, DJ Williams, TJ Lang, CJ Wilson, AJ Hawk, BJ Colman, DJ Smith.

And while they don't count, they have a lot of guys thats first initial is J.

J Finley, Starks, Boykin, Kuhn, Jones, Nelson, Ross etc.

There is something suspicious brewing in Wisconsin.

In all 24 of their current roster have J's somewhere in their name.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement