Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I'm already looking at flights!

Fly to seattle on the thusday.
    Chill out for a couple of days...
    Go see game
    Do some road tripping and add in a stop in Vegas for a couple of days
    Fly to NYC

Patriots@ Jets
    Hookers
    Vikes @ Giants
    :pac::pac::pac:
    Only seen this now, corrected your typo for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

HigginsJ wrote: »

Class act is Joe. Just an all round decent guy.

Jets give Revis permission to travel to Tampa Bay for a medical ahead of a trade between the two teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paully D wrote: »
    Class act is Joe. Just an all round decent guy.

I love his laid back unassuming way of doing things. A genuine nice guy.

• Advertisement

Revis signs for the Bucs:

BIZwLRHCEAEPPkG.jpg

His first game? @ Jets.

The NFL schedule makers do it again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

He leaves 12 million in dead cap space behind him too.

How very Jets.

He leaves 12 million in dead cap space behind him too.

How very Jets.

Jets get a 1st this year and a 3rd in 2014 too. The Bucs are big winners here, they don't even pay any guaranteed money. Next time maybe the Jets will learn not to show their hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Paully D wrote: »
    Jets get a 1st this year and a 3rd in 2014 too. The Bucs are big winners here, they don't even pay any guaranteed money. Next time maybe the Jets will learn not to show their hand!

Or not to tie up all their money in useless players.

I'd love if the Jets went for a CB at 13 to really make a joke of the situation.

Woody obviously wanted to see the end of DR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Smart move by the Jets I think. Revis is done next year anyway and the Jets need to start re-building.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Smart move by the Jets I think. Revis is done next year anyway and the Jets need to start re-building.

Why not just do away with Sanchez then? Five years on. Why is Holmes still there? Cromartie is overpaid.

Don't rebuild by getting rid of your best player.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Cromartie is overpaid.

If he continues to play like he did when Revis went down i don't think overpaid is fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Smart move by Tampa as well, with him not getting any guarenteed money.

Its a risk, obviously with the 1st rounder on the line, but if he comes back half the player he was then its worth it.

Revis, Goldson, Barron, Wright reads a lot better then Biggars, Barber, Barron, Leonard Johnson, which is what the Bucs finished with last season. Barber resigned as a slot CB, to share the role with Leonard Johnson.

Pass rush in round 2 and we look like a bit of a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Why not just do away with Sanchez then? Five years on. Why is Holmes still there? Cromartie is overpaid.

Don't rebuild by getting rid of your best player.

If the Jets could get a first round pick for those 3 players mentioned they'd have already been traded.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bubba gump

Dead money would have been worse had revis stayed this year and left via free agency. This is a result of back contract from old regime.

Whilst I'm not happy to have lost an all-pro player for good but not great compensation I think people are really glossing over the fact that Tampa are paying a CB coming off ACL tear $16m per year. Eli Manning earns 15.2 avg. Fact that contract is not guaranteed is a bit of a moot point as I believe it would be a very bad and possibly career ending move for GM to give up a 1st round pick for a one year rental, thus at least the first two years are functionally guaranteed, possibly the third.

If Revis plays up to expectations that’s too much to pay him IMO. If Revis does not, based off his prior contract negotiating habits I doubt he would agree to reduced salary and thus Tampa will have to cut him for only possible draft comp pick.

Jets were never going to tie up approx 13% of cap per year in CB regardless of talent (I agree) so how new GM Idzik handled this situation on review was quite good.

Other bad contracts such as Sanchez and Holmes will be recitified next season when these players can be cut for CAP purposes. This year the dead money hit would be too big to absorb in CAP. Another bad situation that New GM had no control over.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

32168010101275910866333.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Worst team in the NFL now.

Knex. wrote: »
    Jaguars probably still take that mantle for me.

I don't know, I'm thinking of all the teams in the NFL and the number of elite players at their position that they have. Nick Mangold aside, I can't think of anyone else the Jets have that could be called elite. I would think every other team in the league has at least 2 such players.

Also, the Jets have by far the worst roster depth in the league also which is a huge factor. Seriously, this does not make good viewing for the Jets: http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/roster.html

And the Jets template for team building is getting rid of Revis? Keep it up lads, because I'm not complaining.

5diNHM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Redeemed this Gamepass free trial tonight, GOOD LORD I wish we had access to NFL network regularly. The programming like "Trial of Fire" and Top 100 Players is just class.

Gonna be glued to it until it's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

As much as I hate to give the Jets any credit I think this is a good move. They would get nothing for him if he had a good year and decided to leave in FA. If he had a bad year they are just paying him ridiculous money for it. There is no guarantee that he will be the same player again after that injury.

They are in a great situation versus the cap now and can improve their team a lot. I'd fancy Rex Ryan has spotted a corner in the draft that he really likes too. Which one they take is the question but I'd fancy its Milliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

nwojNVV.jpg

I actually am really excited to see where Caldwell and Bradley take the Jags, but that's hilarious.

Some of those draft day war rooms are ridiculous. Here's a rare insight into the Pats war room from 2006. Only 4 guys - Kraft, Pioli, Adams, and Belichick.

5LrkyQ.jpg

Quality not quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Al Michaels arrested on suspicion of drink driving over the weekend. Think it would be terrible if he was found to be over the limit here and was removed from SNF, wouldn't be the same! That said, pure speculation at the minute.

From the ESPN app:
    NBC Sports announcer Al Michaels was arrested over the weekend in Southern California on suspicion of drunken driving, authorities said Sunday.

Michaels was pulled over at about 9:30 p.m. Friday after officers manning a DUI checkpoint witnessed him make an illegal U-turn, Santa Monica police Sgt. Richard Lewis said.

Michaels, the play-by-play man for "Sunday Night Football," was taken to the station, according to Lewis. Various media reports put his blood-alcohol level at .08, which is the legal limit in California.

He was booked for suspicion of DUI and held for about five hours before being released on his own recognizance, Lewis said.

"We are aware of the situation and we've been in contact with Al," said Greg Hughes, a spokesman for NBC Sports. "We have no further comment at this time."

A call Sunday by The Associated Press to Michaels' agent was not immediately returned.

Michaels was ordered to appear in court June 26.

An Emmy Award winner, the 68-year-old Michaels spent nearly three decades at ABC Sports before moving to NBC in 2007.

Michaels worked NFL games and other sports for ABC, and called "Monday Night Football" for nearly 20 years. He also is known for his call of the U.S.-Soviet Union "Miracle on Ice" game at the 1980 Winter Olympics and the earthquake-interrupted Game 3 of the 1989 World Series.

Last year he received the Vin Scully Lifetime Achievement Award in Sports Broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

I see 19/32 teams will have a camera in the war room. I can only imagine what Buddy Nix and the Bills team will look like...

onion_news575_jpg_600x1000_q85.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Quality not quantity.

Ye because the patriots draft last few draft classes have been quality.... :rolleyes:

Still better than the jets trading away all there picks to reach for the likes of Shonn Greene.

Ye because the patriots draft last few draft classes have been quality.... :rolleyes:

Maybe leave the use of the rolls eyes to the kids. The point I was making ( and it looks like it went right over you head) was some of those war rooms look like NASA Mission Control incomparison to The Pats spartan set up. And rather than waste my time analysisng the success and failures of any particular draft class year. It is easier to ask, who's always a contender, year in, year out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Maybe leave the use of the rolls eyes to the kids. The point I was making ( and it looks like it went right over you head) was some of those war rooms look like NASA Mission Control incomparison to The Pats spartan set up. And rather than waste my time analysisng the success and failures of any particular draft class year. It is easier to ask, who's always a contender, year in, year out?

Ohh you didnt like the eyes ? :rolleyes:

Who's a contender ? The team with a future Hall of Fame Quarterback ? Yes your right.

The point you made was quality of quantity right ? So you think that your small group are making quality decisions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Still better than the jets trading away all there picks to reach for the likes of Shonn Greene.

Last few draft classes?

Chandler Jones, Donte Hightower, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Stephen Ridley, Nate Solder?

They're not doing to badly now in fairness....

• Advertisement

BizzyC wrote: »
    Last few draft classes?

Chandler Jones, Donte Hightower, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Stephen Ridley, Nate Solder?

They're not doing to badly now in fairness....

I'd add in Brandon Spikes, Alfonzo Dennard, Devin McCourty and Zoltan Mesko as successes from those classes too. Marcus Cannon if you're looking at value, and Shane Vereen has looked great in limited game time so is primed for a breakout year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement