Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

BizzyC wrote: »
    Last few draft classes?

Chandler Jones, Donte Hightower, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Stephen Ridley, Nate Solder?

They're not doing to badly now in fairness....

yes pick out 6 players over three drafts. Also do you really think steven ridley will be a patriot after his rookie contract?

In my opinion and I know I'm not alone in saying that the patriots recent drafting hasn't been good. Frustratingly its still better than my New York Fighting Jets.

Devin McCourty ?!?!? Honestly as a first round pick you think is a success ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Ohh you didnt like the eyes ? rolleyes.png

Oh look, no surprise there. In all my posts on this site, I have only use that stupid emoticon about 10 times. I usually reserve it specially for trolls and muppets. Personally I find it to be a shít stirring emoticon. Wished the site would ban it tbh.

Also do you really think steven ridley will be a patriot after his rookie contract?

Your having a laugh now aren't? Please tell me you are? Lawfirm moved on last season on and Ridley had to prove himself coming out of a rookie season. So his 1263 Yards and 12 TD's surpassed all our expectations and gave the Pats a strong running game.

Which turns out to be the 4th best rushing season, by any Patriot RB in franchise history. Ridley finished 7th overall amongst all league RB's, so why in God's name would you even think he won't be staying a Patriot?

Which turns out to be the 4th best rushing season, by any Patriot RB in franchise history. Ridley finished 7th overall amongst all league RB's, so why in God's name would you even think he won't be staying a Patriot?

Because Bill gives players a price and won't go above it. It's what the patriots have done. Mostly successively moving on from players because either they don't value them to much or the player wanted to much.

Because Bill gives players a price and won't go above it. It's what the patriots have done. Mostly successively moving on from players because either they don't value them to much or the player wanted to much.

:confused: Hang on a sec, now you're onto contract negotiaions? So you can now tell us that Ridley won't be staying a patriot. I think you are getting way, way ahead of yourself there. If Ridley keeps playing the way he did last season, he will be staying a Patriot. Maybe it would be only fair to take your next query to the Pats thread. Because I am conscious of the fact, that this is not a team specific thread.

:confused: Hang on a sec, now you're onto contract negotiaions? So you can now tell us that Ridley won't be staying a patriot. I think you are getting way, way ahead of yourself there. If Ridley keeps playing the way he did last season, he will be staying a Patriot. Maybe it would be only fair to take your next query to the Pats thread. Because I am conscious of the fact, that this is not a team specific thread.

So you disagree that bill belichick doesn't have his price on players and won't go above it ?

Also I never stated he wouldn't be. I asked the question.

Personally I really can see Ridley being let go in Free agency. He may not but either he doesn't keep his form up or he wants to much for playing at a high level. Does that mean he wont be resigned of course not its my opinion, shockingly I've been wrong before. ( I know I've admitted i could be wrong on the internet)

I'd rather not go into the Patriot thread. There's far to much Tom Brady loving going on in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Oh really the Patriots are sh1t at drafting? News to me. I am a critical person when it comes to many of our drafts but in all the mess the Patriots have picked up some solid long term players. And like any team have discarded a ton of guys who didn't work out.

But interestingly enough here is an article going back to 2011 looking at drafting over the previous decade 2001 - 2010 and guess who came out on top?

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/decade-the-making-the-ultimate-nfl-draft-grades/2419/

A snippet:
    THE VALEDICTORIAN
    New England (A)
    Pro Bowlers: 11 (2nd)
    Draftees Active in 2010: 46 (t-3rd)
    Players with 50+ Career AV: 7 (1st)
    Players with 20+ Career AV: 22 (t-1st)
    Best Pick: CB Asante Samuel (4th round, 2003)
    Worst Pick: WR Chad Jackson (2nd round, 2006)

Summary: The Patriots got at least one impact player in each of their 10 drafts from 2001-2010, and maybe the biggest tribute to their ability to identify top talent is that all 10 of their No. 1 picks were still playing in the league last year along with 11 of their 14 No. 2s. This bodes well for 2011 draftees Nate Solder, Ras-I Dowling and Shane Vereen.
    TEACHER'S PETS
    Baltimore (A-)
    Pro Bowlers: 8 (t-6th)
    Draftees Active in 2010: 43 (8th)
    Players with 50+ Career AV: 4 (t-6th)
    Players with 20+ Career AV: 21 (t-4th)
    Best Pick: S Ed Reed (No. 24 overall, 2002)
    Worst Pick: DE Dan Cody (2nd round, 2006)

Summary: Much as the Patriots struck gold with Tom Brady and built wonderfully around him, Baltimore and Ozzie Newsome have done the same around Ray Lewis. While they're known for their attention to defense, they really set the stage for continued success with their offensive hits in 2007 and 2008 – linemen Marshall Yanda and Ben Grubbs, fullback Le'Ron McClain, QB Joe Flacco and tailback Ray Rice.

San Diego (A-)
    Pro Bowlers: 12 (1st)
    Draftees Active in 2010: 39 (t-15th)
    Players with 50+ Career AV: 3 (t-13th)
    Players with 20+ Career AV: 22 (t-1st)
    Best Pick: QB Drew Brees (2nd round, 2001)
    Worst Pick: WR Craig Davis (1st round, 2007)

Now add these guys to the above:

2012 Draft:

Chandler Jones DE
    Dont'a Hightower LB
    Alfonzo Dennard CB

2011 - New England Patriots

Nate Solder T
    Shane Vereen RB
    Stevan Ridley RB
    Marcus Cannon T

To be fair the Patriots are not one of the worst drafters in the league. Far from it. As a Pats fan we have all been annoyed on missing out on some players and drafting some guys but nowhere near as bad as you are making out danger dave.

So you disagree that bill belichick doesn't have his price on players and won't go above it ?

Depends on the players future body of work. Ridley has still got bags of potential and another good season this year and there wont be any reason for Bill not to think his future body of work wont be good enough to pay him. I agree at times this future body of work contract negotiation is nonsense way of dishing them out but that is how he does things and Ridley wont be an issue in my eyes and most peoples eyes. He will get paid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

jeez, this thread again escalated quickly.

the point Corvus made, and I totally agree, is that it does not necessarily mean that bacause you have a room full of laptops, phones, and coaches and staff, it will automatically guarantee a good draft. In comparison to the Patriots, who have 4 men in a room with seemingly a phone and a tv between them, its the quality of the personnell involved that makes a good draft, not the showiness of your equipment.

Put it this way, the Chiefs in that photo, I count 16 people, 11 laptops, phones,m fax machines, huge draft boards, and a computer projecter.

who would you prefer doing your draft?

The chiefs and all their impresive stuff?

Or the Patriots with their 4 men a phone and a tv?

I know who I would pick.

But that is a great photo Mikey!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

bruschi wrote: »
    jeez, this thread again escalated quickly.

the point Corvus made, and I totally agree, is that it does not necessarily mean that bacause you have a room full of laptops, phones, and coaches and staff, it will automatically guarantee a good draft. In comparison to the Patriots, who have 4 men in a room with seemingly a phone and a tv between them, its the quality of the personnell involved that makes a good draft, not the showiness of your equipment.

Put it this way, the Chiefs in that photo, I count 16 people, 11 laptops, phones,m fax machines, huge draft boards, and a computer projecter.

who would you prefer doing your draft?

The chiefs and all their impresive stuff?

Or the Patriots with their 4 men a phone and a tv?

I know who I would pick.

But that is a great photo Mikey!
    Bad team to use as an example Bruschi...

Pioli was one of the 4 men for the Pats, he was in charge of the room for the Chiefs....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The Titans have a lot of people.
    However i fully believe that they are going to take Warmack and the other people will only be used if Warmack isnt there.

At that point Munch is gonna be gambling his job on who they take.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think using pro-bowls as a way of judging immediately rules the credible of a draft rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Some teams allow the scouts into the room, other teams don't as their work is done by draft day and they are not wanted or needed in the war room.

Ravens allow everyone in, all the scouts, also the position coach will be on the first phone call to the draftee.

Nothing wrong with either system, whichever your franchise prefers

I think using pro-bowls as a way of judging immediately rules the credible of a draft rating.

Maybe so but the next 3 stats after that in the piece I quoted are all relevant and speak volumes for any of the teams who have drafted well in that decade or even last 12 years. And even if the Pats weren't rated the best team based on those 3 stats they are still among the best drafting teams. A far cry from what Danger Dave is sprouting to be fair.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Some teams allow the scouts into the room, other teams don't as their work is done by draft day and they are not wanted or needed in the war room.

Ravens allow everyone in, all the scouts, also the position coach will be on the first phone call to the draftee.

Nothing wrong with either system, whichever your franchise prefers

Exactly this. They could have 100 people in the room but in realism usually only those who count have a say and in most organisations you have the Owner, GM and Head Coach as the main 3. Then some teams give their OC and DC a say also. Anyone after that are only there for research or the banter of the draft day.

Jags new uniform is badass

nfl_Jaguars_uni_d1_400.jpg

FeatureImage.jpg

BIjgsSACcAAW8XF.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

@ TO, really really like it

Hopefully the start of a new wave and we see a few of those leaked "nike" jersyes from last year with the epic Pats one.

@ TO, really really like it

Hopefully the start of a new wave and we see a few of those leaked "nike" jersyes from last year with the epic Pats one.

Some of those leaked ones were badass also but it turned out to be some kid who did graphic design who designed them and threw them up on a team forum and of course on the net sh1t goes viral quickly :( I didn't like his stupid Cpt America Pats jersey though I have to say but some of the others ones were class. Nike should hire him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

TO. wrote: »
    Exactly this. They could have 100 people in the room but in realism usually only those who count have a say and in most organisations you have the Owner, GM and Head Coach as the main 3. Then some teams give their OC and DC a say also. Anyone after that are only there for research or the banter of the draft day.

Who handles enquiries regarding trades from other teams do you know?

Do teams make/receive many trade calls?

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Who handles enquiries regarding trades from other teams do you know?

Do teams make/receive many trade calls?

Over the years from what I have seen and read its the GM who for the most part does all the trade discussions over the phone. But Id say some also have someone else handling the phones and they hand the phone over to the relevant person.

Some of the trade discussions happen before the draft even starts and teams know who to pick up the phone to. The on the whim trades during the draft id say GM/HC/Owner definitely do all the talking over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

****ING LOVE the new Jags jerseys.

Have to get myself one of the black ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

30 for 30: Elway to Marino on tonight for anyone stateside. Should be a doozie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Read some reviews saying its very good! Would stay up to watch it here but with work in the morning it's not really an option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    nwojNVV.jpg

I actually am really excited to see where Caldwell and Bradley take the Jags, but that's hilarious.

I saw this posted in another website:
    The Jets War Room:

MyPrettySeahorse-PatrickwithNailandBoardonHead.jpg

Hazys wrote: »
    I saw this posted in another website:

Fixed those images for ye :D

jetswarroom.jpg

With the Jags jerseys I might be off the mark here but isn't Jacksonville really hot and humid?
    All black probably isn't the best colour for your teams jersey when you have to play your home games in the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Think they rarely wear the black, going from what I can remember with them playing against us and nearly always seeing MJD in the green!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Black is the new home shirt alright, the teal moves to alternate. The team has been using black as the main jersey since about 3 games into last season.

Also I never stated he wouldn't be. I asked the question.

You asked a question and I had already answered it earlier, by giving you clear stats and a perspective on Ridley's excellent 2012 season.
    I'd rather not go into the Patriot thread. There's far to much Tom Brady loving going on in there.

64GvL9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

With the Jags jerseys I might be off the mark here but isn't Jacksonville really hot and humid?
    All black probably isn't the best colour for your teams jersey when you have to play your home games in the heat.

Thats why Miami traditionally used their white jersey as their home jersey. Meant their opposing team had to wear the darker jersey, automatically giving the home team an advantage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement