Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Don't like the Jaguars home kit. Can't stand the all black look in the NFL. Hate when the Ravens use theirs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Langdon Alger

with the draft on tomorrow night and the jets having two first round picks i think its rather fitting to post this video

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

You asked a question and I had already answered it earlier, by giving you clear stats and a perspective on Ridley's excellent 2012 season.

P.S Didnt want to spam quote with your photo as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

^ ^ ^

5XvAxD.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

P.S Didnt want to spam quote with your photo as well.

The only one spamming at this stage mate, is you.

• Advertisement

mongoman wrote: »
    The only one spamming at this stage mate, is you.

Christ! I said it because i didn't want a photo and a youtube link in the same post.

Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

I think the pats have made pretty good selections the last few years but must agree with danger dave if something negetive is said about the pats here constructive or not you tend to be jumped upon they seem to be the only team it happens for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

nerd69 wrote: »
    must agree with danger dave if something negetive is said about the pats here constructive or not you tend to be jumped upon they seem to be the only team it happens for

Ah, this old chestnut again.

Interesting theory - completely false though. If something negative is said about the Pats, and it's true, then you won't get "jumped upon". Think you'll find during the season that plenty of Pats fans were the harshest critics of the team, myself included.

It's when numpties make up stupid claims that they can't back up - that's when the "jumping upon" begins. As you said yourself, you agree the Pats have made good selections. So why can't we "jump upon" someone who argues otherwise if we believe theirs to be a completely BS opinion? It's called debate.

Maybe leave the use of the rolls eyes to the kids. The point I was making ( and it looks like it went right over you head) was some of those war rooms look like NASA Mission Control incomparison to The Pats spartan set up. And rather than waste my time analysisng the success and failures of any particular draft class year. It is easier to ask, who's always a contender, year in, year out?
    BizzyC wrote: »
    Last few draft classes?

Chandler Jones, Donte Hightower, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Stephen Ridley, Nate Solder?

They're not doing to badly now in fairness....

I'd add in Brandon Spikes, Alfonzo Dennard, Devin McCourty and Zoltan Mesko as successes from those classes too. Marcus Cannon if you're looking at value, and Shane Vereen has looked great in limited game time so is primed for a breakout year.

TO. wrote: »
    Depends on the players future body of work. Ridley has still got bags of potential and another good season this year and there wont be any reason for Bill not to think his future body of work wont be good enough to pay him. I agree at times this future body of work contract negotiation is nonsense way of dishing them out but that is how he does things and Ridley wont be an issue in my eyes and most peoples eyes. He will get paid.
    Gronkastic wrote: »
    ^ ^ ^

I'm open to debate, I have my opinion whether its right is well up for debate. Is it up to 5 patriots fan on the forum some reply posting multiple times on the issue to keep going?

I was willing to walk way from the debate when Corvus Maximus decides to repost with personally i saw as a joke and replied with another one. Then Gronktastic comes in, plus a non Patriots fan who replied strangely.

Now I could keep it up and Mention Devin McCourty ( Who was not a good first round pick, who also was made played safety) Ras-I Dowling, Patrick Chung. Or the inability of the Patriots to draft pass rusher or Defensive backs. Yes it seems they've addressed there pass rush in the last draft class. I could also just mention there Defensive back drafting in last 5 or 6 years.

Is it harsh that I called there drafting poor outright ? Ye probably it is but I'm a Jets fan most think's ill say about the patriots will be harsh.

I could have further quoted T.O . Who has twice misquoted me. Once for saying the patriots drafting is sh1t, which i never did, he just posted that I compared the Patriots to the Jets drafting. Again I did no such thing. I mentioned the Jets because I'm a Jets fan and well are drafting as beyond sh1t for the last well 5 decades.

I could have gone on to say an article he used to try back up his statement that there drafting is good uses the amount of Pro bowlers a measuring stick which is terrible, Considering the Pro bowl is a popularity contest a great deal of the time.

It's when numpties make up stupid claims that they can't back up - that's when the "jumping upon" begins. As you said yourself, you agree the Pats have made good selections. So why can't we "jump upon" someone who argues otherwise if we believe theirs to be a completely BS opinion? It's called debate.

Thanks for the insult ! Numpty am i.. Quality response .

Yes Patriots fans are negative about there own team . It just seems no one else is allowed to be.

God we all get riled when there's not football on don't we ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Even as an outsider to the discussion, if I was a Pats fan and someone suggested that they have drafted badly recently then I'd feel the need to reply - regardless of how many replied to it.

I don't think it's fair to say 'Oh the Pats fans are getting upset again over a discussion." 99% they tend to back it up with reasoned arguments and they seem to take a lot more trolling than other fans.

• Advertisement

Go for it quote me more than once. I don't care what you do. As for the sh1t thing. You might not have said it but you implied it. Ok you didn't compare them to the Jets my bad but you might as well have the way you have been banging on about it. The Patriots have been one of the best drafting teams since 2000 and I threw up facts to show that. But glad to see you ignored that post. So yes the Pats have drafted quality.

The stupid thing is you tried to bring up the whole thing the Pats wont pay players and used Ridley as your example. Plenty of other players you could have used. But the simple fact you are wrong and you keep ignoring the posts that actually came back to you with facts and debate and you continued trolling.

You showed evidence i just responded saying it uses pro bowlers as a major measuring stick. I disagreed with it on that basis. I havent ignored the point, but unlike some people whats the point going around and around in circles on points we clearly disagree on. I could have used the obvious Wes Welker as someone who as remained a constant performer and still the patriots let him walk (He's not an ideal example because of age and postion, but the price that Welker went to the Bronoc's for show Bill as his price and sticks to it) .

HOW AM I WRONG ? I can only be wrong after he's resigned. Right now we both have are opinions and they differ.

I do like how your trying to lecture me . I did not imply sh1t. Never once did I imply it and i never compared the jets. You admit to that and then say i might as well have ?!?!?!? there two pretty big points and you decided to ignore what i originally said before you posted and now your attacking me for ignoring post's(Which i haven't) Will you read posts properly from now on then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I had posted earlier about the crazy amount of people in some draft war rooms and you came out with ..
    Ye because the patriots draft last few draft classes have been quality :rolleyes:
    I mean wtf! And who was even talking about yearly draft successes or failures, prior to you coming out with that? I left others to deal with that, because I wasn't going to waste my time tbh.

Then we had this nugget.....
    do you really think steven ridley will be a patriot after his rookie contract?

That there is what you call a loaded question, loaded questions are designed to be provocative and presumptuous in nature. So leave the B.S. about 'debating' out of it. In reply, I pointed out the excellent season Ridley had and how he established himself as the lead franchise RB in 2012. He finished 7th overall in the NFL and 4th best RB season in franchise history.

So can you please explain how any of that was unreasonable? What’s your problem with that? What I posted is all fact, unlike your presumptuous speculation. So when you’re called out, please don’t run behind the tired old “Oh boo fúcking hoo, it’s those damn bad old Pats fans again.” It's not our problem that we have the busiest team thread and probably the biggest fan base on the forum. Maybe losing your persecution complex might help matters though.

So can you please explain how any of that was unreasonable? What’s your problem with that? What I posted is all fact, unlike your presumptuous speculation. So when you’re called out, please don’t run behind the tired old “Oh boo fúcking hoo, it’s those damn bad old Pats fans again.” It's not our problem that we have the busiest team thread and probably the biggest fan base on the forum. Maybe losing your persecution complex might help matters though.

It's not unreasonable, I never said it wasn't. I don't have a problem with that. I didn't run behind "Oh Boo F00king hoo" it was brought up by someone else. i commented on it after it had been discussed.

I have no problem with your comments, I welcome it as you are an ardent fan of american football fan.

Also your right the Roll eyes is an inflammatory emoticon. I shouldn't have used it in a provocative post. for that i apologize.

Your posts I wont be responding to anymore so you wont have to worry about it.

Pity... Someone disagree's with your viewpoint , use there comments to either change or strengthen, soften your existing view point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Also your right the Roll eyes is an inflammatory emoticon. I shouldn't have used it in a provocative post. for that i apologize.

Fairplay Dave for apologising there, that's a rare thing on this site.
    I didn't run behind "Oh Boo F00king hoo" it was brought up by someone else. i commented on it after it had been discussed.

:( Yes you are right there, my mistake. So I'll match your apology with an apology of my own then.

But seriously, about what I suggested yesterday. Do come into our thread anytime and I'm sure we'll be happy to debate any issue you raise.:)

Plenty of non-Pats fans do come in and make excellent contributions there btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Any of you seen this 30 for 30 that was broadcast last night? Short preview clip below (that's all I can find). 'Elway to Marino', looks good:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Manning V Leaf - revisited. Interesting read ahead of draft day. Taken from the 1998 ESPN Draft Preview. Link below as it contains pictures and is too long to copy and paste:

http://splitcoverage.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/manning-vs-leaf-revisited/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

If you've 10mins to spare i'd strongly suggest watching this video, moving stuff from Bill Parcells

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9120618

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Just after watching the 30 for 30 on Bo Jackson and one thing struck me...is he biggest draft bust in the history of the NFL?

Obviously he was hugely successful in his short career with the Raiders but seeing as the Bucs drafted him at number one and he never put on a uniform for them before being trade for a 7th rounder to the Raiders.

So in one swoop you could argue that Jackson was both the biggest bust in draft history and the biggest steal...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Jamarcus for me is the biggest bust I know of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Speaking of 30 for 30 has anyone seen the Elway to Marino one yet? Aired in the US this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

OAOB wrote: »
    If you've 10mins to spare i'd strongly suggest watching this video, moving stuff from Bill Parcells

Superb video. In the America's Game's for the Giants you always got the impression that Parcells was the hardest task master for each of his players but that there was a connection to each of them. They'd run through a wall for him and he'd do the same for them. As long as you gave 100% so would he.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

adrian522 wrote: »
    Jamarcus for me is the biggest bust I know of.

You shut your slut mouth :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

You shut your slut mouth :mad:
    C'mon even you can't argue with that.

jamarcus-russell-fat.jpg

These are definitely the biggest bust I've ever seen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

NFL Network are doing a top 100 players of last season atm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    NFL Network are doing a top 100 players of last season atm

Looking forward to Jamarcus starting ours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

adrian522 wrote: »
    Speaking of 30 for 30 has anyone seen the Elway to Marino one yet? Aired in the US this week.

Watched it this evening, thought it was about the worst 30-for-30 I've seen. Just very boring, about the 1983 NFL draft, when Elway was picked first by the Baltimore Colts, and tried to force a move away. No on-field action, just all about the various negotiations.

Bit of a history lesson, but found it very tedious.

The Bo Jackson one, recently mentioned, is fantastic, check that out if you're looking for one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Yeah I thought it was a bit underwhelming.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but it just didn't seem worth a story. Especially at the end when
    they just kind of went "Oh yeah Elway and Marino both went on to do this, this and this."

Most 30 for 30's are gripping or emotional, this wasn't really at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Jets cut tebow prepare for another summer of nothing but tebow

Cheers or the feedback on Barkley lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

No one will want the Tebow Cancer, he ll pass through waivers. He should go to the CFL imo and enjoy himself actually playing they d kill for that sort of attention.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement