Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

If I was tebow I'd be hassling NFL or ESPN to get a panel/host job before his popularity fades.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Stev_o wrote: »
    No one will want the Tebow Cancer, he ll pass through waivers. He should go to the CFL imo and enjoy himself actually playing they d kill for that sort of attention.

I think someone picks him up just not sure who right now would have said the jags or bills until recently but there are teams there that crave attention I'd be shocked if no one picked him up for the press alone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

nerd69 wrote: »
    I think someone picks him up just not sure who right now would have said the jags or bills until recently but there are teams there that crave attention I'd be shocked if no one picked him up for the press alone

Bills wouldn't , it would destroy their front office for picking Manuel and then have the fans chant Tebow when EJ struggles.

Jags have said they don't want him a few times now. Regardless they don't have the team to make it worth the effort (need a top 5/10 defence).

Bills wouldn't , it would destroy their front office for picking Manuel and then have the fans chant Tebow when EJ struggles.

Jags have said they don't want him a few times now. Regardless they don't have the team to make it worth the effort (need a top 5/10 defence).

Yup that's why I said till recently

nerd69 wrote: »
    Yup that's why I said till recently

Whoops sorry jumped the gun :p

• Advertisement

Whoops sorry jumped the gun :p

:) not at all

To be honest I am struggling to find a team that would be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I'm glad Titans signed fitz earlier in FA because I've a feeling if they hadn't they would be tempted by tebow.

In saying that I think there is still a chance tebow could come good. With teams running read option offences, tebow could be a great back up. No point having two different offences for your starter and back up, so tebow will fit in somewhere.

Maybe backing up Cam? I think he would have been a better back up to Kapernick than McCoy is gonna be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I'm surprised nobody would try turn tebow into a rb or fb. Obviously it's not just as simple as there ya are now tim yer a rb, but he's a far better runner than a qb

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

You so wanted Tebow to be great. I Hope he gets another NFL job. I'd hate to see him go to CFL or Arena League

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

As long as he stays away from San Diego, Ill happily see him in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Arawn wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody would try turn tebow into a rb or fb. Obviously it's not just as simple as there ya are now tim yer a rb, but he's a far better runner than a qb

Tebow is no where near fast enough as a runner to be a RB. TE is the only serious alternative position and even then it's just pie in the sky by grandstanding analysts.

QB is Tebow's best position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Syferus wrote: »
    TE is the only serious alternative position and even then it's just pie in the sky by grandstanding analysts.

Pie in the sky eh? Where do you come up with this stuff? Tebow was a Tight End in High School for a year when he started out. It is also known he has taken snaps at tight end of slot in practices in High school when he was a QB and in Florida. He has also done it in warmups before games and shows he can run routes and catch the ball. The fact he is an athletic freak and extremely smart player he would be well capable of adjusting in a TE. Some of his former coaches said he could probably do it also.

As for some evidence showing his skills. Just a warm up but it shows if he worked at it he would be able to do it:

He also took snaps at DE so.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

He also took snaps at DE so.....

I wonder can he tackle. Wont matter though he said he will only play as a QB. Few teams apparently approached him already and said no to other positions.

At this point I wouldn't mind him going to the Pats and sitting behind Brady and getting the development he needed from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Tebow is no where near fast enough as a runner to be a RB. TE is the only serious alternative position and even then it's just pie in the sky by grandstanding analysts.

I was thinking of more a power guy for when short yardage is needed. Not needing explosive speed if you get me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Surprised if any team will be willing to take on that circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Tebow at QB can only work in the read/option offence designed to suit Tebow - and that is not an option for an NFL team. Any NFL team that will use the option offence will find QBs far better than Tebow.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tebow at QB can only work in the read/option offence designed to suit Tebow - and that is not an option for an NFL team. Any NFL team that will use the option offence will find QBs far better than Tebow.
    Lets not forget that he took the starting job on a team who were 1-4 and ended up with a playoff win before being blown out by the Patriots.

Personally I thought it was very unfair to go out and bring Manning to Denver after that. I'm delighted that Tebow has a better playoff record with the Broncos than Manning.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

If I was tebow I'd be hassling NFL or ESPN to get a panel/host job before his popularity fades.

The sports news on Today FM this afternoon had a line on Tebow being cut by the Jets. Outside of the Superbowl result I can't remember many NFL stories being reported in a regular sports bulletin in this country. Tebow will be relevant for a while yet.

I hope that Tebow catches on somewhere and gets another shot at being an NFL QB someday. The Broncos were must-see tv during his time as a starter.. I want more of that epicness.

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    The sports news on Today FM this afternoon had a line on Tebow being cut by the Jets. Outside of the Superbowl result I can't remember many NFL stories being reported in a regular sports bulletin in this country. Tebow will be relevant for a while yet.

I hope that Tebow catches on somewhere and gets another shot at being an NFL QB someday. The Broncos were must-see tv during his time as a starter.. I want more of that epicness.

Well except for the first 55 minutes of their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Well except for the first 55 minutes of their games.

55 minutes of rubbish for this

Or this

Yes please. He (and the Broncos in general) were must watch that season. 1-4 to 8-8 and a playoff win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I'm just not happy about this at all! I want tebow back at the jets, hardknocs there this year and John Gruden installed as QB coach!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

As I was just really getting into the sport a couple of years ago he's been one of my favourite players and probably always will be due to his exploits. I can never see him becoming a starter at QB again, but I'll never forget some of those games he played purely from an entertainment point of view.

Of course they got a lot of luck in games, over time it wasn't sustainable, Prater was just as good during that run and you're always going to take Peyton Manning over him if you have a shot at getting him, but regardless of whether you're a Tebow fan or not, no NFL fan could tell me with a straight face that they weren't entertained by that run Tebow and the Broncos had back in 2011/2012.

It's a shame that things haven't worked out for him after Denver and as big a Tebow fan as I am I think in the interest in fairness it does have to be pointed out that he did play a part in things not ending well after he chose the big market Jets ahead of the Jaguars which would have been a better move in terms of his chances of playing.

He's done unless he changes position but I don't think his pride will allow him to. After going 8-5 including a playoff win against the Steelers I guess you can't blame him. Either way if this is where it ends he was great value for the 2011/2012 season and that Tebow Time run is something I won't forget in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I have symapthy for Tebow, he seems like a nice enough lad and a good role model for kids. His time at the Jets was pretty humilating for him. There was quite a few times last season, where I reckon he could have done a better job than Sanchez. I hope something works out for him in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Elway to Marino 30 for 30:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭robluvshandegg

The only way Tebow could make it in the NFL now is if he was used as more or less a pure goal line QB. Your 5-10 yards out, bring on Tebow, either he smashes his way in, or he makes the low velocity wobbly throw to a receiver who is uncovered due to Tebow's running threat. All in all Tebow doesn't really add much to a team unless there is a dedicated and committed package for him. I'm thinking maybe a system similar to what Oklahoma did with Blake Bell (The Belldozer) for the last few years. Would love to see Tebow play this year, but it seems unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It'd be hi-larious if the Jags showed they're not comatose and picked him up. It's nothing short of tanking the season to go into it with Blame Gabbert (as his teamates call him, which really says it all about what his prospects are) and Chad Henne at the pivot of your team. They can literally lose nothing by trying Tebow, apart from a higher first round draft pick.

It's a waste for the Jags to bother with Tebow. At least Gabbet has chance of being a good QB, a very slim one, but still more than Tebow. I just can't see why a new would want the circus that Tebow brings.

• Advertisement

It's a waste for the Jags to bother with Tebow. At least Gabbet has chance of being a good QB, a very slim one, but still more than Tebow. I just can't see why a new would want the circus that Tebow brings.

I don't know about that not only is gabbert a poor qb his attitude stinks at least tebows teammates seem to like him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement