Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

eagle eye wrote: »
    The guy is a fantastic receiver, he was only targeted once last night and he is chasing the great Jerry Rice's records. I can understand how he would be pissed given the awesome catches he has already made this year.

Where did I say he wasn't a fantastic WR? Look simple fact Moss feels he is a winner. He has yet to win and Bowl and has appeared in 1 with the Pats and played in two NFC Championship games with the Vikes. The guy knows he is awesome as do we and he know is a shoe in for the HOF. But his ego like TO's will get in the way because he will look for a trade when he feels the team he is on can no longer get him his goal of winning a ring. There is no doubt in anyones mind how great he is. That isn't the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,132 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Where did I say he wasn't a fantastic WR? Look simple fact Moss feels he is a winner. He has yet to win and Bowl and has appeared in 1 with the Pats and played in two NFC Championship games with the Vikes. The guy knows he is awesome as do we and he know is a shoe in for the HOF. But his ego like TO's will get in the way because he will look for a trade when he feels the team he is on can no longer get him his goal of winning a ring. There is no doubt in anyones mind how great he is. That isn't the issue here.
    That fact that is he a fantastic receiver wasn't the point of my post. The point is that he was only targeted once last night. He only has 9 receptions on the year so far. Like its easy to understand that he feels he is being underused and would have every reason to be pissed about that.

Edit to add: Remember last year when he absolutely owned Vontae Davis, remember the stiff arm. Like then you don't target him last night and whats that telling the guy? That you think Davis is better than him? After what Moss done last year, well if that was me I'd be very annoyed about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

But did the Pats win the bowl? No we fooking didn't. Close or not we didn't get it. But you and Davyjose are missing my point all together. See my post above.

I see your point. I just don't agree. I agree his attitude stinks, but he's good enough to get a bowl. He's one of the few players who seems to be able to turn it on to an extraordinarily elite level, when he wants to.

His attitude and his game were there when the Pats were ridiculously good. All I'm saying is, you can't rule him out of a Championship, because quite simply if he gets on a good team, he's good enough to make them better.

davyjose wrote: »
    I see your point. I just don't agree. I agree his attitude stinks, but he's good enough to get a bowl. He's one of the few players who seems to be able to turn it on to an extraordinarily elite level, when he wants to.

Is he going to win one on his own? Needs a team to help him with that part and he isn't getting any younger. Moving to the Vikes gives him just as much chance right now as the Pats do and then that depends on Brett Favre.
    His attitude and his game were there when the Pats were ridiculously good. All I'm saying is, you can't rule him out of a Championship, because quite simply if he gets on a good team, he's good enough to make them better.

Raiders enough said.

That fact that is he a fantastic receiver wasn't the point of my post. The point is that he was only targeted once last night. He only has 9 receptions on the year so far. Like its easy to understand that he feels he is being underused and would have every reason to be pissed about that.

He has been annoyed since last year. And you are proving my point. He needs his ego stroked regularly. The one game we continued to force the ball to him we lost.... Remember the Jets game..... The fact of the matter is he is a tool in our system and that is to get covered by two men and open up lanes elsewhere and then to get hit deep. He may only have 9 receptions this year but he has been thrown to at least 20 times.

• Advertisement

Is he going to win one on his own? Needs a team to help him with that part and he isn't getting any younger. Moving to the Vikes gives him just as much chance right now as the Pats do and then that depends on Brett Favre.
    Fair point, but if he feels the Pats aren't showing him the love, then what's keeping him around? Loyalty works both ways, and clearly the Pats aren't that bothered about keeping their second best player. I mean, if they do trade him, then it's my opinion that he was right all along.
    Raiders enough said.

In fairness, I said "good enough to make them better" not "automatically will". I agree his attitude stinks, I'm just not convinced it's the reason he doesn't have a ring.

He has been annoyed since last year. And you are proving my point. He needs his ego stroked regularly. The one game we continued to force the ball to him we lost.... Remember the Jets game..... The fact of the matter is he is a tool in our system and that is to get covered by two men and open up lanes elsewhere and then to get hit deep. He may only have 9 receptions this year but he has been thrown to at least 20 times.
    What you call ego I call massive competitive hunger. Moss has been regularly praised by other players as a leader on the Patriots. TO is a totally different kettle of fish, he has been called a locker room cancer. I never heard words like that associated with Moss in his time with the Patriots.

What you call ego I call massive competitive hunger.

No matter what way you slice the bread it is still an ego. You can still have a competitive hunger and a large ego at the same time. The fact he is asking for love proves that. Coming out in public and asking for love and a new contract on national TV is a big ego simple as. If he was in any way a modest guy he would have stayed away from those cameras a couple of weeks back.

No matter what way you slice the bread it is still an ego. You can still have a competitive hunger and a large ego at the same time. The fact he is asking for love proves that. Coming out in public and asking for love and a new contract on national TV is a big ego simple as. If he was in any way a modest guy he would have stayed away from those cameras a couple of weeks back.

Well, what have the Pats done to reassure him? It's seems pretty obvious to me they aren't showing him the love, regardless of whether or not he whines publicly about it.

Maybe it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, or maybe he's just right all along.

My point is: if the 2nd best receiver the game has seen needs his ego massaged, why not just bloody massage it, rather than trade him?

Christ its simple man management, you tell the guy he is doing a great job. How easy is that? Then when he doesn't have a good game you can go tell him he had a bad game and he will not have a problem, and if you don't throw him the ball much in the next game then he can have no complaints.

• Advertisement

Well, what have the Pats done to reassure him? It's seems pretty obvious to me they aren't showing him the love, regardless of whether or not he whines publicly about it.

Maybe it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, or maybe he's just right all along.

How can I answer that question? I don't work for the Pats. None of us know what goes on in the back ground now do we?

But what I will say there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things and Moss going in front of camera's whining about a contract is the wrong way.

Right now the only one looking bad in all of this is Moss. There is still plenty of weeks left in this season for a contract to be offered and whining about it after week 3 in my eyes is ridiculous. And I am sticking to my guns on his ego. Fooking great WR but coming off as a d1ck right now.

Christ its simple man management, you tell the guy he is doing a great job. How easy is that? Then when he doesn't have a good game you can go tell him he had a bad game and he will not have a problem, and if you don't throw him the ball much in the next game then he can have no complaints.

How do you know the coaching staff and owners aren't doing that? Do you work for the Pats?

I don't know first hand but I can bet you any amount of money BB has had many discussions with Moss and still pats him on the back and discusses the game with him. He wouldn't be much of a coach if he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Yeah, because we all know Bill Belichick is such a nice guy! It's like watching the Joker and the Riddler fight; if you're not one of the henchmen you're not in anyone's corner.

Syferus wrote: »
    Yeah, because we all know Bill Belichick is such a nice guy! It's like watching the Joker and the Riddler fight; if you're not one of the henchmen you're not in anyone's corner.

What the fook are you talking about? If you have nothing constructive to add don't post. It is Bill Belichicks job as a coach regardless of his personality to congratulate his players. If he didn't and never did do you honestly think the Pats would have had such great rapport over the years and won all those bowls as a unit? Grow up Syferus.

How can I answer that question? I don't work for the Pats. None of us know what goes on in the back ground now do we?

But what I will say there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things and Moss going in front of camera's whining about a contract is the wrong way.

Right now the only one looking bad in all of this is Moss. There is still plenty of weeks left in this season for a contract to be offered and whining about it after week 3 in my eyes is ridiculous. And I am sticking to my guns on his ego. Fooking great WR but coming off as a d1ck right now.

Dude, they're talking about trading him. I'd agree 100% with you, if it weren't for that. That says to me, Moss was right to be p!ssed off all along.

What the fook are you talking about? If you have nothing constructive to add don't post. It is Bill Belichicks job as a coach regardless of his personality to congratulate his players. If he didn't and never did do you honestly think the Pats would have had such great rapport over the years and won all those bowls as a unit? Grow up Syferus.

?

I'm very tentative to respond to you after the last time because you do have a chip on your shoulder with regards me, but for the simple sake of clarity I will take this one.

I'm not saying Belichick is a bad coach; but likewise Moss isn't a bad player. Indeed both could be rightly called great at what they do. The fact is that doesn't make them nice or even likeable, which was exactly my point. It was a point made through a Batman villain reference; surely that gave you a hint as to the seriousness of the commentary.

Dude, they're talking about trading him. I'd agree 100% with you, if it weren't for that. That says to me, Moss was right to be p!ssed off all along.

Or they sat him down and discussed it with him and now feel neither party offer each other anything anymore. Maybe they told him yes we will give you a contract but it will be considerably less than you are looking for etc etc. There is so many conclusions we can all come to right now if we tried but until we get the official word and that trade actually happens we are all just speculating as to why the trade talks are there.

But I 100% stand by my convictions on his attitude and ego. If you don't agree so be it.

?

I'm very tentative to respond to you after the last time because you do have a chip on your shoulder with regards me, but for the simple sake of clarity I will take this one.

Really? The bit in bold is nonsense at best. Wow you really need to stop taking things on the internet so personal. I don't now you from Adam and I always post like this to everyone... So I am sorry once again you feel victimised. :rolleyes:

Really? The bit in bold is nonsense at best. Wow you really need to stop taking things on the internet so personal. I don't now you from Adam and I always post like this to everyone... So I am sorry once again you feel victimised. :rolleyes:

It's a wonder you're still here if you tell everyone to grow up and snap at people that easily, then!
    That's called sarcasm.

It's a wonder you're still here if you tell everyone to grow up and snap at people that easily, then!
    That's called sarcasm.

Become a Moderator now did we? Report me if you don't like my responses to you. Nice touch with the sarcasm spoiler also good man.

But to be honest I will throw you on ignore because I am afraid everytime I reply to your posts you are going to get all offended by it and take it personal. If you don't like it actually maybe you should throw me on your ignore list also. Problem solved.

• Advertisement

Or they sat him down and discussed it with him and now feel neither party offer each other anything anymore. Maybe they told him yes we will give you a contract but it will be considerably less than you are looking for etc etc. There is so many conclusions we can all come to right now if we tried but until we get the official word and that trade actually happens we are all just speculating as to why the trade talks are there.

But I 100% stand by my convictions on his attitude and ego. If you don't agree so be it.

It works out the same, though. If he's not getting the love, he's not getting the love. I agree about the attitude: Tom Brady might not have thrown his toys out of the pram if he didn't get his big payday, but I reckon he'd similarly be unhappy about it, and may too feel he was now surplus to requirements, or his time was up in NE.

If Moss's attitude was impeccable, he'd still be as likely to get on a plane to Minnesota in the coming weeks. That's the Pats fault, IMO. It's an error to let this happen too, but that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If you have nothing constructive to add don't post.

Become a Moderator now did we? Report me if you don't like my responses to you.

You should probably take a leaf out of you're own book and remember you're not a Mod either before telling people if they can or can't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭henryhenry

Adam Schefter and Mike Lombardi are both saying the Moss trade is done. Pats receive a third round pick. I understood the Seymour trade, but not this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ugh, now we gotta try to defend him twice this season not once.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

henryhenry wrote: »
    Adam Schefter and Mike Lombardi are both saying the Moss trade is done. Pats receive a third round pick. I understood the Seymour trade, but not this.

I can almost understand it from a business point-of-view. The Patriots get a 2011 3rd round pick instead of a 2012 compensatory 3rd round pick if he left at the end of the season.

The Pats now have 2 picks in each of the first 4 rounds of next years draft.

Clearly BB sees this as a rebuilding phase. Kinda scary - they are a good team. If they use they're picks right, they'll be formidable. But this season, and maybe next, they are doomed IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

I don't get the doom and gloom from some people about this move. Then again I'm not sure what was expected from the Pats this season either. Surely a play-off appearance would have to have been regarded as a success? Still capable of that in my opinion.

Tristram wrote: »
    I don't get the doom and gloom from some people about this move. Then again I'm not sure what was expected from the Pats this season either. Surely a play-off appearance would have to have been regarded as a success? Still capable of that in my opinion.
    Are you kidding? I expected to win the division. As the season wore on and teams seen us having such success with short passes I predicted that Moss would get more and more space. I felt the offense was going to be unstoppable from the midway point of the season on but now we are depending on Bradon Tate as a deep threat which means you put a speedy corner on him and move more people up into the box which I reckon destroys the running game we have just started to succeed with and limits what Welker will do after the catch. No need either now to put a linebacker on Hernandez.

Are you kidding? I expected to win the division. As the season wore on and teams seen us having such success with short passes I predicted that Moss would get more and more space. I felt the offense was going to be unstoppable from the midway point of the season on but now we are depending on Bradon Tate as a deep threat which means you put a speedy corner on him and move more people up into the box which I reckon destroys the running game we have just started to succeed with and limits what Welker will do after the catch. No need either now to put a linebacker on Hernandez.

Wes Welker has had a long off-season recovering from a knee injury too. At what point does that take it's toll? It's a huge blow to him, and to Brady.

You just have to accept that BB obviously saw the Pats weren't good enough to win it all this year, and is taking the opportunity to rebuild. Brave! but in fairness to the guy, he usually seems to know what he's doing.

• Advertisement

Patriots just resigned Ojinaka so there is no WR coming in now. All I can think is that Hernandez is going to be used as a WR.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement