Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Just got a tweet that Cutler is out Sunday, Todd Collins to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Now that we enter Week 5 any fans want to post up their rose tinted and hopelessly biased :D expectations of their season record?

I reckon the Ravens will go 11-5

Most likely losses:
    at Falcons
    at Texans
    vs Saints

Nervous about at Patriots in Week 6, Patriots coming off a bye.

So 11-5 or 10-6, should win AFC North

Anyway care to follow? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I'm going to predict 11-5 to the Packers and winning the NFC north, losing in divisional round or if we get a decent draw the NFC championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

10-6 Colts. Wild Card. If we get a healthy Sanders for the playoffs though, we can stuff the run (Big If). Right now I think we'll get to the AFC Championship game.
    TBH, last years SB is haunting me again, cos I know we missed our shot for a few years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

IF our defence can hold to a decent level of play like it is doing so now, IF our passing game can keep up at anywhere near the rate its going and IF we improve from being absolute muck at running the ball, then I think the Broncos can post a winning record for the 1st time in 4 years this season, somewhere in the 9-7 - 10-6 range

big ifs though

• Advertisement

spiralism wrote: »
    IF our defence can hold to a decent level of play like it is doing so now, IF our passing game can keep up at anywhere near the rate its going and IF we improve from being absolute muck at running the ball, then I think the Broncos can post a winning record for the 1st time in 4 years this season, somewhere in the 9-7 - 10-6 range

big ifs though

Red zone dude. Score in the Red Zone, and you guys are a threat. You's should have hammered us (Colts), but couldn't convert in the red zone. Do that and you're a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Looks like Nike is going to replace Reebok as the NFL apparel supplier

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/182412/nike-on-the-verge-of-major-nfl-deal

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Looks like Nike is going to replace Reebok as the NFL apparel supplier

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/182412/nike-on-the-verge-of-major-nfl-deal
    Happy out, that should probably make the jerseys easier to find in shops over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

spiralism wrote: »
    Happy out, that should probably make the jerseys easier to find in shops over here

Not neccessarily. The problem here is Reebok UK as they don't bring in large quantities of NFL Apparel as shops don't order a lot of them. Nike will be the same as Reebok as Nike UK most likely wont bring in a lot of NFL apparel and will do supply and demand just like Reebok.

Then it comes down to individual stores here ordering stuff in really. Any sports store here can order Reebok NFL apparel to sell if they want. But 90% of the time they don't see the market for it and don't bother.

cooker3 wrote: »
    I'm going to predict 11-5 to the Packers and winning the NFC north, losing in divisional round or if we get a decent draw the NFC championship.

eh...am I allowed change this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Pats have re signed Deion Branch, giving up a 4th round pick for him, he is 31 at this stage but i think i will trust BB on this. Still have great memories of him in the superbowl (both of them!)

plus a WR was seriously needed so that makes me happy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Frisbee wrote: »

Wow, Jenn Sterger's got an arm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Frisbee wrote: »

Well at least now he knows how Hans Moleman felt like.....

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Well at least now he knows how Hans Moleman felt like.....

Ah now, that's totally unfair to Favre. He is far older than Moleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I <3 Tom Brady so much
    New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady told WEEI-AM on Monday that Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs warned the three-time Super Bowl winner that he "just better hope he doesn’t see us again" following the Patriots' 23-20 overtime win over the Ravens on Sunday.

"He had his chance. Maybe if he gets another chance he can try to back those words up. But he had a chance yesterday," Brady said on the Boston radio station's "The Dennis & Callahan Show." "You know, we've played (those) guys a lot, and they've beat us one time in all the times that I've played them. They talk a lot for beating us once in nine years."

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Heres some crazy stats for you.

Chargers 2-4 with the tied 7th worst record in the NFL.

But in the NFL statistics section,

Offense
    YPG: 432.7 (1st)
    Passing: 316.2 (1st)

Defense
    YPG: 255.2 (1st)
    Passing: 163.7 (1st)

As I've said before they are a very talented bunch but the coaching on gamedays is just not good enough. How can you be tops in thos four categories and have a record like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

eagle eye wrote: »

Offense

Defense

As I've said before they are a very talented bunch but the coaching on gamedays is just not good enough. How can you be tops in thos four categories and have a record like that?

I saw that today too...i clicked on this link for team stats on NFL.com http://www.nfl.com/stats/team and i tought i had clicked the Chargers personal team stats page!

Amazing, it shows how stats, although useful, don't win football games.

Offense

Defense

^
    In this post:
    Why Norv Turner should be fired
    Why AJ Smith should feel like a total idiot giving the same fella a huge extension on the back of last year's one and done

Having said that, those stats are yards though, which are a fancy stat worth next to nothing if not backed up with the scoring... theyre not the number one offence, theyre the no.5 scoring offence, which is the stat that matters

And regarding scoring D...19th.

Takes a lot of the sheen off when you look at the stats that way, especially once you take into account the strength of their opponents. 4 road losses on the spin to KC, Seattle, Oakland and St. Louis is very poor by any team's standards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

I can't be the only one to have noticed this....Brian Westbrook's brother is playing, mainly on special teams I think, for the Washington Redskins. His name is Byron. Seriously. Brian and Byron Westbrook. No confusion in the Westbrook household then. :)

• Advertisement

Any fans of Blue Mountain State?

Bill Parcells gets a cameo role in this weeks episode :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Any fans of Blue Mountain State?

Bill Parcells gets a cameo role in this weeks episode :D

Its a good show, kinda like Van Wilder crossed with Football...what more do you want?

I have the new season DVR'd so i must sit down and watch it at some stage.

Hazys wrote: »
    Its a good show, kinda like Van Wilder crossed with Football...what more do you want?

I have the new season DVR'd so i must sit down and watch it at some stage.

First episode of the new season is odd in a funny kind of way. :D Brilliant show.

Ah yes, 1st episode of Season 2 is a bit strange.

Best part is the players recollecting the play and each of them thought they were brilliant :D
    You see the same play several times, it realy works

I miss the running back, written out of the show, gone to Georgia Tech :(

Best part is the players recollecting the play and each of them thought they were brilliant :D

Yeah first thing I asked where was the RB I liked him also. :D

One thing that just struck me Spike showed Episode 2 as the first one last week and episode 1 this week as 2.

I've been waiting for a good copy of this to come up on youtube but no luck so far and you guys have just got to see it. Its Mark Schlereth and its my favourite rant ever. I agree with him by the way, its about the helmet to helmet collisions.

If you haven't been following things, James Harrison was fined $75,000 and Brandon Meriweather $50,000 for helmet to helmet hits. Harrison has said that he might quit over it. I doubt he will do that but I can understand what his point is. First Polian gets the PI calls made so strict that any contact with a receiver is a foul, now this stuff starts happening and you can't hit a player hard for fear of it getting him around the head area. If it continues we will be eventually watching flag football.

Anyways its on ESPN and I recommend you watch it.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5706315&categoryid=2378529

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

I've been waiting for a good copy of this to come up on youtube but no luck so far and you guys have just got to see it. Its Mark Schlereth and its my favourite rant ever. I agree with him by the way, its about the helmet to helmet collisions.

If you haven't been following things, James Harrison was fined $75,000 and Brandon Meriweather $50,000 for helmet to helmet hits. Harrison has said that he might quit over it. I doubt he will do that but I can understand what his point is. First Polian gets the PI calls made so strict that any contact with a receiver is a foul, now this stuff starts happening and you can't hit a player hard for fear of it getting him around the head area. If it continues we will be eventually watching flag football.

Anyways its on ESPN and I recommend you watch it.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5706315&categoryid=2378529

Schlereth always comes across as a tool to me.One of those"He's a football player! " type pundits.

Rodney Harrison saying he was glad that he was retired after watching some of those hits was far more revealing.On the weekend that a college player got paralsyed,two players or more carried off the field.And interview with Jamal Anderson saying he played after a huge hit and not knowing where he was or what to do.

Merle Hodges saying he had to re- learn to read again after a career of concussions.

But hey its all about the big hits and the highlights.Cant you tackle without launching yourself?The massive helmet is definitely used as a weapon by some and parents wont let kids play a game thats really lethal.

How many coaches and players have i seen the past few days saying that coaches dont care about proper tackles,just get your guy down and hard.That surely has to change.

raven136 wrote: »
    But hey its all about the big hits and the highlights.Cant you tackle without launching yourself?The massive helmet is definitely used as a weapon by some and parents wont let kids play a game thats really lethal.

How many coaches and players have i seen the past few days saying that coaches dont care about proper tackles,just get your guy down and hard.That surely has to change.

Absolutely +1 to all of this. From High School right through College now and even in the IAFL and amateur and Semi pro leagues across the world the Message is to Keep your head up at all times and NEVER lead with the helmet.

The NFL is making a mockery of peoples health right now and doing nothing to change it. High School and College Kids look up to these guys and when they see NFL players do it they think in their own heads that the more spectacular it sounds and looks the better and unfortunately the safety aspect goes out the window.

Eagle look at college football, The NCAA has implemented many rules the NFL has only tried to bring in a long time ago. And College football still has its big hits and is doing more to protect player safety.

You should never need to lead with your head and use it to do damage. The players doing so should be ejected and suspended and guys like James Harrison can fook right off crying about how the NFL is going soft. Give him 10 years and the lack of memory and motor skills and I bet he will be the first complaining about how football ruined him. His hit he clearly leads with his head whether legal or not there was other ways to make that tackle and bring down the ball carrier with out using your head and still make it spectacular looking while being safe.

As a coach trying to get guys not to follow suit of their peers in the pros is a hard task.

• Advertisement

raven136 wrote: »
    Schlereth always comes across as a tool to me.One of those"He's a football player! " type pundits.

Rodney Harrison saying he was glad that he was retired after watching some of those hits was far more revealing.On the weekend that a college player got paralsyed,two players or more carried off the field.And interview with Jamal Anderson saying he played after a huge hit and not knowing where he was or what to do.

Merle Hodges saying he had to re- learn to read again after a career of concussions.

Did you read my whole post? Its in that rant too by the way.

The way to solve this is to sort out the PI calls. The way things are now you can't touch a receiver before he catches. Like what is a defender supposed to do?
    Its not a case where they are purposely going in with head shots. In most cases its just mistimed. Apart from one of Meriweathers tackles last weekend none of them were meant to happen the way they did imo.

But even at that, relax the PI rules and I can assure you there will be a lot less of this stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement