Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Cardinals have placed Ryan Swope on the reserved-retired list due to health concerns from concussions. Such a shame.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Ryan-Swope-Put-On-Reserve-Retired-List/d5feeea2-bfba-40d4-804d-0440c5e48eed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Paully D wrote: »

Consistent, no character flaws, best QB the franchise has had in years, maybe ever.

That being said, I shudder to think of QB contracts in 5-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Cardinals have placed Ryan Swope on the reserved-retired list due to health concerns from concussions. Such a shame.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Ryan-Swope-Put-On-Reserve-Retired-List/d5feeea2-bfba-40d4-804d-0440c5e48eed

Sign of the times. Good to see now that franchises take this whole issue so seriously. Tough on the kid, but I read his comments and he's quite realistic about it. He's now going back to college to finsh off his degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Huge shame! I thought he was going to be a very good pick up for the cardinals! Still good to see him taking care of his health! Wish Austin Collie would do the same!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Unreal design!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Homer Simpson a panthers fan

Just to dig up this old debate, just watching an episode where he goes to Chicago and wears an urlacher Jersey. So...debate over, bears fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Just to dig up this old debate, just watching an episode where he goes to Chicago and wears an urlacher Jersey. So...debate over, bears fan.

Interesting.... seeing as Springfield is more Tenessee Titans country.

(according to Millhouse, upon the influx of Nordic / Minnesota Vikings supporting immigrants).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Looks like Eddie Lacy enjoyed the offseason:

BQXgp2DCMAAUMOE.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Wow, he looks really out of shape

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Looks more like a lineman than a running back.

I know his game was never based on speed, but I can't see Green Bay being too enamoured with their rookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

he weighed in 7lbs heavier than combine. Would lose that in two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Arawn wrote: »
    he weighed in 7lbs heavier than combine. Would lose that in two weeks

Must be a particularly bad photo so, as it looks a lot more than 7lbs to me!

Knex. wrote: »
    Must be a particularly bad photo so, as it looks a lot more than 7lbs to me!

Honestly I'd say it's a bad pic, just realised that that weigh in was 2 months ago...maybe he is a lot heavier. Datone jones is up 20lbs but thats a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Ye its a bad picture, I seen others and he still looks heavy but not that bad :D

Link to more pictures of him. Big Eddie Click Here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Even if he's only 7 pounds over I think he has a lot to answer for. A rookie coming onto the team should come to camp ready to prove himself. Coming in heavy should be excusable for veterans at most (obviously not too heavy). He looks like he'd struggle to evade junior footballers in that shape, never mind the defenses of the nfl!

Even if he's only 7 pounds over I think he has a lot to answer for. A rookie coming onto the team should come to camp ready to prove himself. Coming in heavy should be excusable for veterans at most (obviously not too heavy). He looks like he'd struggle to evade junior footballers in that shape, never mind the defenses of the nfl!

not really tbh, camp is for getting into game shape. Lots of elite level athletes get fat when in the off season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Arawn wrote: »
    not really tbh, camp is for getting into game shape. Lots of elite level athletes get fat when in the off season

So I keep telling my manager!!

I've heard positive things on Lacey from twitter so I doubt it's anything to be worries about!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Booked my trip just now :D
    Sorry Corvus :p

San Fran( Oct 5th) for the 9'ers/Texans, 6 days to get to Seattle by car taking in Yosemite.

Meeting a friend and his girlfriend in Seattle and he is going to come to the game with me instead of my wife, he's a relative newcomer to NFL but will make the game more interesting. Game on the 13th.

If i can manage it, the Huskies play on the Saturday, I may try to go to it but it's pushing it I think :eek:

Leaving Seattle on Tuesday 15th for NYC, havent yet booked flights back from NYC. I'm going to try and get to the Jets/Pats game on the Sunday however need to talk to my wife and my boss :D

I will have my trusty iphone and camera, so i'll snap away like a lunatic.
    Really looking forward to Century Link tbh, I have another friend who goes to the Sounders games and he loves the stadium.

Any recommendations for a hotel in San Fran or Seattle?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just came upon this on another site.

Just shows how far the EPL (soccer) are lagging behind the NFL in their media exposure.

http://www.footballwriters.co.uk/features/the-no-ban-league-where-coaches-and-players-must-speak-to-the-media/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

OldRio wrote: »

Just shows how far the EPL (soccer) are lagging behind the NFL in their media exposure.

http://www.footballwriters.co.uk/features/the-no-ban-league-where-coaches-and-players-must-speak-to-the-media/

Good article.

However the EPL is still far more "exposed" than the NFL globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

OldRio wrote: »

There'd still be nothing stopping it from becoming a league of Patriots though where they fulfill all their media obligations whilst telling nobody anything and then take the piss a bit out of having to report injuries.

It's still comparing two different things and the different way of doing things both of which have their ups and downs. It's just the FWA having a moan about how clubs treat them from time to time after they've knowingly stepped on their toes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000224052/article/2014-pro-bowl-features-new-format

So they've gone ahead with a raft of changes for the Pro Bowl.

No more kickoffs = no more onside kicks!

Yeah big changes, no traditional conference teams, Deion Sanders and Jerry Rice drafting the teams. Maybe it could breathe a bit of life into the pro bowl with guys wanting to prove they should of been picked on higher? It'll probably stay the same though with little of no effort being put in.
    Don't understand the reasoning behind the kickoff change btw? Anyone care to explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I assume no kickoffs is to avoid injury. Same reason they changed the rules recently.

The kick return guy changing to a db on the roster seems like it would **** over guys with pro bowl money in their contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

As Adam points out about that article, although teams have obligations and they meet them, a lot of the time it's smoke and mirrors and there's can't be really be anything done about it. The Premiership is miles ahead in global recognition, so no need to change the ways they go about media coverage. If anything it's nice not to have to listen to the same guys talking to the media the whole time. There was always something special about an interview with Paul Scholes because it was so rare, that would be ruined if he had been forced to face the media each week, especially when he didn't like the attention and just wanted to play the game.

Meh Pro Bowl changes won't change it, that's more a PR drive behind, try and garner as much attention as possible, NBA have done it the last couple of years with the Rookie/Sophmore game with Shaq and Barkley picking the team, hasn't changed the game, just given more time for those guys/TNT on the TV schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The NFL's offseason, summed up in one photo (via @johnbreech)

BQh4-IxCMAEZqWT.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement