Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Tebow wearing ass-less chaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Tebow wearing ass-less chaps!

Cheers heli I can't unsee that image now :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Tickets to the texans @ 49'ers bought! (cheap nose bleed seats :D)

Titans @ Seahawks, good seats are very expensive, so trying to call in some favours!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Tickets to the texans @ 49'ers bought! (cheap nose bleed seats :D)!

What section?

adrian522 wrote: »
    What section?

Upper 48

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not too bad ...

upper_reserved_48.jpg

Only thing is you can't see the scoreboard/screen from that end.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Not too bad ...

upper_reserved_48.jpg

Only thing is you can't see the scoreboard/screen from that end.

I'm going to watch the Texans get beat.. i dont mind!

Now just need to figure out the best way of getting to the stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I live in Cincinnati so I casually support the Bengals. (Truely a Dolphins fan).....but after this, I have to give props to the bengals fans.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/cincinnati-bengals-fan-shows-six-pack-beer-tied-173100525.html

so a few hours after buying my tickets on NFL exchange, they arrived in my email and are now printed.

Very impressed

Yeah, mine are printed out and pinned up on my desk, helps me through the day...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Is it just me or is the Bucs' secondary looking scary all of a sudden?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Revis will do that for you

On paper they should have an insane d in general itl be interesting to see how they pan out

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Yep, they will go from last in pass D the season just past to around top 8 this season IMO, providing they stay healthy.

Seahawks tickets arrived in my mail during the night. All flights booked bar the one from NY home, going to an epic couple weeks starting off with steelers/vikes, now... Just not to crash the rental..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Seahawks tickets arrived in my mail during the night. All flights booked bar the one from NY home, going to an epic couple weeks starting off with steelers/vikes, now... Just not to crash the rental..

I dislike you a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

nerd69 wrote: »
    Revis will do that for you

On paper they should have an insane d in general itl be interesting to see how they pan out

Jonathan Banks is supposedly looking very good since joining the team, but he will be repeatedly targeted so my only worry is how he will deal with that throughout the year.

Goldson and Revis are top class additions, Revis for obvious reasons but Goldson seems to be a great leader to the young guys off the field.

Now we just need to maintain the rushing defense (and for me, maintaining it means a top 8 rushing defense) and develop the bones of a pass rush and our defense will go from an embarrasment to... dare I say it... a strength.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It might only be the Hall of Fame game and it is only preseason but football is back tonight ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Not sure if this has been posted here before.... Worth a watch......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I don't think this was posted already

I just think it's a quality ad.

Reminds me of Friday Night Lights :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Live football lads.

It may only be the hall of fame game, in preseason, and a week earlier than they normally start games.......but it was good to see those guys hitting hard.

Johnny Football could be in deep **** with the NCAA over profiting off his own image. A high level college player is basically a professional athlete who doesn't get paid. The universities make millions off them while they do all the work and get nothing.

Johnny Football could be in deep **** with the NCAA over profiting off his own image. A high level college player is basically a professional athlete who doesn't get paid. The universities make millions off them while they do all the work and get nothing.

They get free education, rent and food plans.........we don't think about that because of the low cost of college in Ireland, but it's not uncommon to have $100,000 of student loan debt by the time you get a 4 year degree in the US.

They get free education, rent and food plans.........we don't think about that because of the low cost of college in Ireland, but it's not uncommon to have $100,000 of student loan debt by the time you get a 4 year degree in the US.
    That's just their scholarship and it's pence compared to what the universities make off them.

That's just their scholarship and it's pence compared to what the universities make off them.

It is.....but you can't say that they get nothing.

And where does it stop? I go to highschool football games here that have attendences as high as 6 or 7 thousand 10 games a season, at $10 per person, that's $600,000 per season.....so should high schools start giving their athletes a cut too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Boston College costs around $54,000 a school year. Food and accommodation in Boston at a rough estimate would cost $20,000 a year.

4 years at $74,000 is $296,000.

The NFL minimum salary for a rookie is $390,000 for one year. So if they were playing in the NFL they would be underpaid.

That scholarship of roughly $296k is given to around 90 players (Im not 100% if they all get the same scholarhip). How many of those 90 BC football players make an NFL roster a season 1 maybe 2? So maybe one or two are getting underpaid while the 88 other players on the roster are making waaay more than they are worth.

Not to mention the same scholarships are given to all sports male and female. How many members of the BC Women's Hockey team are worth $296,000?

A very small minority of college athletes in a free market would be worth more than their scholarship but the vast majority of college athletes are getting a way better deal.

I'm not talking about the players who have no hope playing for an NFL team. I'm talking about the stars. The guys who fill the stadiums, Draw in the TV money, sell the jerseys. Johnny Football himself generates millions for the school so he should get a slice of the pie.

But it's worse than that. They stop him for making any money outside of school. He can't do endorsements or do anything to profit off his own name.
    You can accept that the school doesn't want to pay him a salary to play but it is ridiculous they can dictate why he does off campus

It's amateur football for a reason, they reap the benefits when they get to the "Pros"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement