Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Watch it again, Willie is 6ft 2. He does not lower his head and he gets smacked in the jaw/side of the head.
    Ive no problem with guys leading with their head, but he hit Willie in the helmet, and that is just not allowed and rightly so.

so is it going to be that whenever a tackle is made, if there is any helmet to helmet contact, regardless of intent or danger, they should automatically be fined? its basic physics that if you are tackling someone, your head is the forefront part of your body, you cant make a tackle with your head back behind you, so there will always be incidental contact, like here. it wasnt dangerous, and the force of helmet to helmet was extremely minimal.

what the rule should be there to prevent is tackles where the players launch themselves at the player with their helmet and make no effort to wrap their arms or take a person at torso level, much like Meriwether did when he was at the Pats. The amount of hits he made helmet to helmet was ridiculous and outright dangerous. Like this one here:

thats deserving of a fine, Bostiks one was so far from being like that they will ruin things if they fine for legitimate hits like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

My only criticism of NFL players is a lot of guys haven't a clue when it comes to taking a player down by the legs. Rugby tackling teaches you how to get down and wrap a guy up by the legs without crippling him. But just this week we saw a guys career being ended by a bad lower leg tackle.

And since many already aren't the best at safely tackling the leg region. Just watch how many poor guys are going to have their knees blown out by bad lower leg hits

I've watch the Colts make some of these "wrapping the legs" tackles -- perhaps a by-product of Dungy's bend-not-break system, and having Foster, MJD and CJ2K in your division.

I don't think coaches like it because from my POV it allows the ball-carrier to extend for more yardage, and worse, it tends to lead to missed tackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

davyjose wrote: »
    I don't think coaches like it because from my POV it allows the ball-carrier to extend for more yardage, and worse, it tends to lead to missed tackles.

Well that is true, wrapping up the lower legs can still allow a guy to extend. Funnily enough, I found it much easier and effective to do a lower leg tackle in AF thanks to the luxury of a having helmet protecting my face. In rugby, I lost count of the times I got a boot into the face during the tackle. When the Pats drafted rookie Nate Ebner last year, the first thing everyone noticed on the practice field was his excellent tackling skills. The guy was an international standard rugby player, so his skills were well honed. I know some lads here do a bit of AF coaching and maybe I am wrong. But I get the feeling tackling just doesn't get the priority with young players the way it does in Rugby. Maybe the pads give a false sense of security I don't know.

Maybe the pads give a false sense of security I don't know.

True. I've heard it said many times that the helmet causes more harm than good. In fairness, there would be very few guys plowing head first into tackles without the "protection" of a helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

I was enthralled by this article I read earlier on so I thought I'd share. It's called '2 Carries, 6 Yards' , the story of Ricky Bell. A story I wasn't aware of but it's really humbling and shows just how sad some hands people are dealt can be.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/8/20/4636066/ricky-bell-profile-san-diego-chargers-tampa-bay-buccaneers

• Advertisement

Dustin Keller who suffered a torn ACL, PCL and MCL, during that horror tackle. Got some real good news today, tests have confirmed he did not suffer any nerve or cartilage damage which could have ended his career.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/8/22/4648574/good-news-for-dustin-keller-no-nerve-or-cartilage-damage-in-his-knee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I'm going to be living in Galway during this football season. Is there any late night sports bar that would show NFL Games and with a bit of an athmosphere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

deise_boi wrote: »
    I was enthralled by this article I read earlier on so I thought I'd share. It's called '2 Carries, 6 Yards' , the story of Ricky Bell. A story I wasn't aware of but it's really humbling and shows just how sad some hands people are dealt can be.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/8/20/4636066/ricky-bell-profile-san-diego-chargers-tampa-bay-buccaneers

Thanks for that an interesting and moving read, it put me in mind of this 30 for 30 called the irrelevant giant.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/50693/bill-parcells-and-the-irrelevant-giant.

I suppose it reminded me because they were true gentleman who never had the careers they could have, but tried to never be a burden to anybody
    Both very moving stories

Just going back to our discussion the other day: this was called for a penalty last night:

iboHWHde0ZfxbK.gif

You literally cannot play good defense anymore. Having said that, Kuechly was a beast anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

at this rate packers ability of not to takle and just pick the ball will have them as the top D!

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    Just going back to our discussion the other day: this was called for a penalty last night:

iboHWHde0ZfxbK.gif

You literally cannot play good defense anymore. Having said that, Kuechly was a beast anyway.

Surely a pen against the Ravens for reacting

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Reacting?! Shinancoe is downing Godfrey after making the interception!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

I'm going to be living in Galway during this football season. Is there any late night sports bar that would show NFL Games and with a bit of an athmosphere?

Not really. some pubs might have games on for sake of having something on more than anything. If you find one let me know though

Best bet is to ask on the Galway warriors facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

8452695b3a3740a10b58377e3683b4ba_large

^ ^ ^

OMG, was that last night? That is so beyond being a school boy error.

it's the 7 step drop geno not the 8 ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Ryan really should have moved on at the end of last season, because he's losing the plot now. Going to back to being a DC might restore a bit of sanity.

So Russel's big come back attempt comes to an end as he is reportedly once again dealing with weight trouble. Seriously, If he kept his weight down for another month I honestly think some team would of picked him up

Not too happy about my NY Giants losing this NY derby but I'm sure that Big Blue will win when the games matter in the reg season

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

28 year rookie linebacker Brian Banks survived the first round of cuts and remains on the Falcons 75

He may not get a roster spot but he has done fantastically well to even get this far

Most would know the story but if you don't here is a recent article

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/08/23/column-brian-banks-tries-to-make-falcons-but-doing-most-important-work-off/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah i'd love him to stay, hopefully even if he does get cut someone can pick him up.

Presumably he could go to the PS?

Another week and another shocking low hit to a players knee ending a season. 49er's Guard Joe Looney (appropriate surname) takes out Vikings DT Kevin Williams with a crazy lower limb hit. What makes this really bad was, not only was it totally unnecessary, but it was a real vicious hit. Watch it and you'll see the real nasty looking hyperextension below the knee. Very lucky he didn't suffer a serious compound fracture.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000234305/article/kevin-williams-upset-about-low-block-in-vikings-loss

Now if that was a helmet strike, we'd be hearing about it all week. But since it's only a lower limb hit, ah sure the league fathers aren't too bothered.In the link above, watch the video from about 33 seconds in to see the action replay of it. Serious punishment needs to be dished out to cut out stupid crap like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

^ ^ ^

OMG, was that last night? That is so beyond being a school boy error.

To review a post I made on the draft page way back in april........Geno smith's NFL career ended the moment he was drafted by the Jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

It was a silly mistake by Geno, give him a break :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

HigginsJ wrote: »
    It was a silly mistake by Geno, give him a break :(

He'll be having a permanent break in about a year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Another week and another shocking low hit to a players knee ending a season. 49er's Guard Joe Looney (appropriate surname) takes out Vikings DT Kevin Williams with a crazy lower limb hit. What makes this really bad was, not only was it totally unnecessary, but it was a real vicious hit. Watch it and you'll see the real nasty looking hyperextension below the knee. Very lucky he didn't suffer a serious compound fracture.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000234305/article/kevin-williams-upset-about-low-block-in-vikings-loss

Now if that was a helmet strike, we'd be hearing about it all week. But since it's only a lower limb hit, ah sure the league fathers aren't too bothered.In the link above, watch the video from about 33 seconds in to see the action replay of it. Serious punishment needs to be dished out to cut out stupid crap like that.

That is as cheap a shot as you will see throughout the season. Williams wasn't anywhere near the play and a hit like that was going to do nothing other than cause injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

In Exile wrote: »
    That is as cheap a shot as you will see throughout the season. Williams wasn't anywhere near the play and a hit like that was going to do nothing other than cause injury.

I'm not sure it's that cheap a shoot. I'm sure all players(even OL) are coached from a young age that the play is never over just because the ball isn't near you. The ball was close enough for Williams to still try and run it down so then I think an OL is perfectly entitled to do what he is coached to do.

I'm not sure it's that cheap a shoot. I'm sure all players(even OL) are coached from a young age that the play is never over just because the ball isn't near you. The ball was close enough for Williams to still try and run it down so then I think an OL is perfectly entitled to do what he is coached to do.

Nobody is trained or coached to drop down to their knee and take out a rival players knees like that. Unless your the former DC for the Saints of course. What he did had nothing to do with coaching, but a lot to do with stupidity. I suggest you look at the play again multiple times. A shoulder pad to the chest was the natural and safer option to go for. It was simply a crazy tackle that could have ended a career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Nobody is trained or coached to drop down to their knee and take out a rival players knees like that. Unless your the former DC for the Saints of course. What he did had nothing to do with coaching, but a lot to do with stupidity. I suggest you look at the play again multiple times. A shoulder pad to the chest was the natural and safer option to go for. It was simply a crazy tackle that could have ended a career.

Nobody is taught to cut block anymore? Come on. You have no idea what is natural for him, if he's been coached to cut block guys in the open field then what he did was natural. Safety doesn't come into it either. Plenty of OL cut block people in open play, definitive safety concerns to talk about, but until it's banned any player is perfectly entitled to do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement