Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Arawn wrote: »
    I imagine going from high school to prison would severely stunt yer growth as a player

Thats exactly what I mean, hopefully something comes up for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Check out his hour long interview on the Rich Eisen podcast from last June. It covers everything.

Because it's so long you'll hear what was not covered in any articles.

http://richeisen.nfl.com/2013/06/25/rich-eisen-podcast-brian-banks/
    Or it's in iTunes

Really have to second this. One of the most gripping interviews I've listened to all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hard Knocks, SNF, the London games and the Superbowl coming to C4.

http://www.nfluk.com/opinions/articles/channel-4-becomes-exclusive-terrestrial-tv-home-nfl-uk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

will check that podcast ina bit, something is currently downloading atm and my connection is ****

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Hard Knocks, SNF, the London games and the Superbowl coming to C4.

http://www.nfluk.com/opinions/articles/channel-4-becomes-exclusive-terrestrial-tv-home-nfl-uk

Great news, the more football on tele the better.

• Advertisement

Browns cut Gronks little brother, will probably be picked up pretty quickly just to see if there is any hope

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Check out his hour long interview on the Rich Eisen podcast from last June. It covers everything.

Because it's so long you'll hear what was not covered in any articles.

http://richeisen.nfl.com/2013/06/25/rich-eisen-podcast-brian-banks/
    Or it's in iTunes

Cheers Mike. I'll download that and give it a listen over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Matt Leinart's career as an NFL QB has probably ended today. He was cut by the Bills after one week, posting a 0.0 passer rating last night. To pull of that achievement, he went 3/10 for 11 yards and 2 picks... in the 4th (easiest) preseason game. Ouch!

Kevin Kolb looks done too. out for the season with the concussion he picked up

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Kevin Kolb looks done too. out for the season with the concussion he picked up

He's on his third concussion now so I'd seriously question his future in the league.

• Advertisement

He's on his third concussion now so I'd seriously question his future in the league.

Yup, they already said he's done for the year. He won't be back imo.

Can't remember his name, that guy the lions kept on so he could get retirement the 24 year old, still believes he can come back to the nfl.

I know it's a case of letting go, but it must be soul destroying getting told you can't do something you spent the majority of your life training for and getting there

Can't remember his name, that guy the lions kept on so he could get retirement the 24 year old, still believes he can come back to the nfl.

Jahvid Best is the guy. A sad thing to see happen and fair play to the Lions for what they did for him.
    I know it's a case of letting go, but it must be soul destroying getting told you can't do something you spent the majority of your life training for and getting there

To play at such a high level, to be an NFL footballer and then to lose it. It must be like a bereavement for these guys. A life dedicated to football suddenly gone with the click of a finger. Kolb has a young family, one more nasty hit and he could end up with early onset Dementia/ Parkinsons etc, or something worse. Hopefully he'll let go of the dream, protect his health and enjoy his family.

Jahvid Best is the guy. A sad thing to see happen and fair play to the Lions for what they did for him.

To play at such a high level, to be an NFL footballer and then to lose it. It must be like a bereavement for these guys. A life dedicated to football suddenly gone with the click of a finger. Kolb has a young family, one more nasty hit and he could end up with early onset Dementia/ Parkinsons etc, or something worse. Hopefully he'll let go of the dream, protect his health and enjoy his family.
    Especially to happen at the start of your career, at least Kolb had a career, Best must be devestated, especially when he sees people like hernandez and Jamarcus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

While I agree with this from a sporting point of view, one thing all these former NFL players walk away from the league with is a college degree. Not many other sports can boast that. A lot of soccer players, for instance, leave school at 14/15.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Brightside for the Bills is that Jeff Tuel has actually looked decent enough as a QB, they have the running backs capable of providing a powerful running game so the season might not be lost yet.

infacteh wrote: »
    While I agree with this from a sporting point of view, one thing all these former NFL players walk away from the league with is a college degree. Not many other sports can boast that. A lot of soccer players, for instance, leave school at 14/15.

Maybe back in the day, but now days clubs provide tutors and make sure they finish school. Nobody can leave school at 14-15 anymore

Maybe back in the day, but now days clubs provide tutors and make sure they finish school. Nobody can leave school at 14-15 anymore

I'm a United fan and I serious doubt Rooney could even spell 'Man' or 'United' :D. But I've have no doubt the fecker is well able to count, the + 200K he's on a week.:mad:

I'm a United fan and I serious doubt Rooney could even spell 'Man' or 'United' :D. But I've have no doubt the fecker is well able to count, the + 200K he's on a week.:mad:

I used to play against a guy who played for City in its youth fa cup final a few years ago, has a full education despite leaving "real" school at 16. Rooney did his gcse's.

Tbh I do see the advantages and disadvantages of both systems.
    In american football, you get your full education, college degree and experience a small bit of the part of star when it comes to tv, coverage and stadiums, also you are not being pummeled by 300lb fully developed professional athletes on your 18 birthday.

On the other hand, it's 4 years of your life you are helping to make someone millions with the risk of paralysis for free.

Rooney did his gcse's.

I know, I was only messing earlier about Rooney. An American football prospect, might come out with a much higher level of education. But considering the much higher physical risks they face, I think they fare out worse financially. A former work colleague of mine, had a son (15 or 16) who was with West Ham about 4 years ago. He lived in a house with 5 other lads and was fed and watered by a resident cook/house keeper everyday. The house had it's own gym and indoor pool. He was doing his GCSE's at the time and on top of all that, he was getting £600 pocket money a week. Totally pampered and it ended up being his undoing in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

The NCAA scholarship system in the US is fantastic. These guys take a bit of abuse, but how many thousand play and how often does someone get badly injured. It's not without risk, but the risk is remote compared to what you get from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

You could play college soccer before turning professional.
    Rooney did his gcse's.

Rooney did GCSE's when he was 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

But do many of the players that 'make' it actually finish their degree, you always hear of a few who after retirement plan on going back to finish their studies.

That and I assume there are countless who don't make it that earn athletic scholarships that then lose them and so their education.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    But do many of the players that 'make' it actually finish their degree, you always hear of a few who after retirement plan on going back to finish their studies.

That and I assume there are countless who don't make it that earn athletic scholarships that then lose them and so their education.

Guys that enter the draft early that'd be and generally when they go early they are good enough to make the millions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Star of Hard Knocks John Connor has been cut by the Bengals

Going by the show you'd think he was doing great and his competitor for the job was struggling.

Editors can show what they want to show I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Adamcp898 wrote: »

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/sports/basketball/06nba.html?_r=0

This article says that half of NFL players have degrees.

There are also a few that didn't get athletic scholarships.
    Guys that enter the draft early that'd be and generally when they go early they are good enough to make the millions

A player has to be out of high school for 3 years to be eligible for the draft. It is 1 year for the NBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Star of Hard Knocks John Connor has been cut by the Bengals

Going by the show you'd think he was doing great and his competitor for the job was struggling.

Editors can show what they want to show I suppose

wasnt he on the jets one a few years ago nicknamed "terminator" looked like a beast on that to

Final cuts complete and three teams have four QB's on their 53

Redskins, Jets, Raiders

Just a bit unusual.

Surely there must be moves to come yet

764dak wrote: »
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/sports/basketball/06nba.html?_r=0

This article says that half of NFL players have degrees.

There are also a few that didn't get athletic scholarships.

A player has to be out of high school for 3 years to be eligible for the draft. It is 1 year for the NBA.

I meant early as in dont get a degree as they leave college a year early for pros.

As to the rooney thing, he was playing professionally for everton at 16, I would do the exact same thing. Earn my money, you can always go back to school

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Cleveland have also decided on their kicking battle, and cut both kickers :P

• Advertisement

The Norweigian YouTube sensation is available

Get him in!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement