Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Schefter reporting that the Browns are open to trading Josh Gordon and a few other sources are estimating that they'd take a fourth rounder for him.

His trade price will probably have gone up a bit after his performance today, but teams like the Ravens, Patriots and 49ers should be all over that trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

This is serious piss taking. Who's next? Joe Thomas? They look like they're trading anything that slightly resembles playmaking ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Paully D wrote: »
    Schefter reporting that the Browns are open to trading Josh Gordon and a few other sources are estimating that they'd take a fourth rounder for him.

His trade price will probably have gone up a bit after his performance today, but teams like the Ravens, Patriots and 49ers should be all over that trade.

I'm sure someone is yanking his chain on this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I'm sure someone is yanking his chain on this

Those guys usually don't report something unless they've got info from inside the organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'd be very surprised if the Pats make a move. The rookies made positive steps today and developing them will remain a priority. Then there's also a strong possibility that Gronk could be back next week. So a move would really surprise me.

• Advertisement

Does guys usually don't report something unless they've got info from inside the organisation.

I'll be flabbergasted is they trade Gordon. I get wanting to rebuild & all but you won't get a WR anywhere near Gordon's ability with anything less than a 1st rounder. Teddy Bridgewater will need help next year like

Here's the source, by the way:

http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/22/cleveland-browns-trade-josh-gordon-ben-tate/
    ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Sunday that the Browns would be open to trading wide receivers Josh Gordon and Greg Little, the team’s most productive receivers in 2012. Little finished last season with a team-high 53 catches, while Gordon led the Browns with 805 yards and five touchdowns. The pair has been far less productive so far this season — Little had eight grabs for just 59 yards in two games, while Gordon was suspended for Weeks 1 and 2.

As with Richardson, though, both players were brought in by the Browns’ previous regime. Cleveland spent a second-round pick on Gordon during the 2012 supplemental draft, which left the franchise sitting out that round at the 2013 draft. (Picks immediately after the Browns’ vacated spot included Geno Smith, Robert Woods, Menelik Watson and Johnthan Banks.) Little, meanwhile, was a Round 2 selection back in 2011.

Both players still have time left on their rookie contracts — Little is signed through 2014, Gordon through 2015. That fact could help Cleveland move either player, and Gordon might be particularly attractive to a team willing to gamble on a possible top-two receiver. Gordon has shown immense promise during his brief time in the league, but this latest suspension under the league’s substance-abuse policy was his second transgression. A third slip-up would land him a year-long suspension.

Little has had off-field issues of his own, though he has yet to receive any punishment from the NFL. The 24-year-old was ticketed last week for driving with a suspended license, about a month after he was stopped for having expired plates and not all that far removed from wrecking his car while drag racing 127 miles per hour.

The problems for Gordon and Little could drive down the haul Cleveland is hoping to land ahead of the Oct. 29 trade deadline.

ESPN’s report also included news that the Browns are contemplating a major run at current Texans running back Ben Tate come the next free agency period. Tate, who has racked up nearly 1,400 yards behind Arian Foster since 2011, may bolt Houston after this season for a shot at a starting gig elsewhere. Tate should be in line for a huge uptick in salary from the $575K base he’s making this year, the final season of his rookie deal.

The 2014 RB class also could include big names such as Maurice Jones-Drew and Darren McFadden, each of whom will be an unrestricted free agent without a new contract.

Cleveland also could have plenty of possibilities come the draft. The Richardson trade left the Browns with 10 picks — including two first-rounders — in 2014.
    HigginsJ wrote: »
    I'll be flabbergasted is they trade Gordon. I get wanting to rebuild & all but you won't get a WR anywhere near Gordon's ability with anything less than a 1st rounder. Teddy Bridgewater will need help next year like

Bridgewater will end up in Jacksonville based on the first few weeks of this season.

Here's the source, by the way:

http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/22/cleveland-browns-trade-josh-gordon-ben-tate/

Bridgewater will end up in Jacksonville based on the first few weeks of this season.

Fair enough. Whoever is QB (Boyd, Manziel, Carr) will need help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

According to TMZ, Jacoby Jones was struck in the head with a giant champagne bottle swung by a stripper named Sweet Pea on a party bus celebrating left tackle Bryant McKinnie’s birthday.

Jones reportedly was “bleeding everywhere.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/23/jacoby-jones-is-with-the-ravens-in-meetings/

Ah Bryant McKinnie keeping it classy as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

To be fair, getting a first rounder for Richardson and picking up Tate as a FA would really be the end justifying the means. Trading Gordan for a 4th though is completely stupid. Teams should be queing up if that was the case

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

How good is Bridgewater anyway? How does hecompare to someone like Luck in college?

davyjose wrote: »
    How good is Bridgewater anyway? How does hecompare to someone like Luck in college?

He is very good (obviously) Playing for Louisville he won't get many challenges this year until they get their BCS game, although Gary Nova & Rutgers ought to at least keep them honest when they play in early October.

Bridgewater was excellent against the Florida Gators in last years Sugar Bowl & was the games MVP.

From a skill-set point of view he is similar to Luck/Rodgers/Wilson. He is a pocket passer 1st and foremost who is comfortable going through his reads but can move the chains with his feet if push comes to shove. He has excellent mechanics as a passer.

By all accounts he is an excellent teammate & a good guy all around. He is 6ft 3. He has shown toughness by playing through a couple of injuries.

Assuming he leads Louisville to an unbeaten season & another BCS bowl win/MVP he will be a near lock to be a top 2 pick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

It's not a great feeling being a Giants fan right now. We got raped so bad on Sunday, I think I should get myself tested

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It's not a great feeling being a Giants fan right now. We got raped so bad on Sunday, I think I should get myself tested

Was it a double rape btw? Because looking at your username, I'm assuming you're a United fan. If it's any consolation, so am I.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Was it a double rape btw? Because looking at your username, I'm assuming you're a United fan. If it's any consolation, so am I.:(
    At least the Dubs are All Ireland Champions. Come on ye boys in Blue ;)
    Not too concerned about United, The season is young, plenty of games to go, City and Chelsea will have their slip ups too. United will bounce back.
    The Giants need to get their chit together pretty soon or this season is in the books for them

Hazys wrote: »

McKinnie has become a parody of himself at this stage, it was obvious he would have to be involved in such an incident. You'd think Jones would know better though. I did laugh when I saw the name of the stripper, that will follow him around now for the rest of his life :pac:

As Harbaugh says ''it's rare that anything good happens to a football player after midnight.''

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I guess everyone's too jaded with the NFL's drug policy for this to be worth commenting on, but Tucker's right, it is a joke:
    Von Miller's brash corruption warranted stiffer NFL action

The original report:
    Report: Von Miller, working with NFL urine collector, tried to cheat drug test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

This was roughly how I sounded watching the play.

Hilarious Bengals radio call is the NFL highlight of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

As a matter of interest guys which franchise would be considered the biggest or best supported franchise in the nfl or in other words who is the real madrid of the nfl, i dont necessarely mean who is the best with regards to results on the field,
    What would the top 5 be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

shamrock55 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest guys which franchise would be considered the biggest or best supported franchise in the nfl or in other words who is the real madrid of the nfl, i dont necessarely mean who is the best with regards to results on the field,
    What would the top 5 be?

packers fit 70% of the hometown into its stadium every home game, so % wise I'd imagine them?
    If internationally.....prob pats?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Seattle have the richest owner

Dallas and Washington are the most valuable franchises

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Arawn wrote: »
    packers fit 70% of the hometown into its stadium every home game, so % wise I'd imagine them?
    If internationally.....prob pats?

even as a Pats fan I would have siad the Cowboys would be the most recognisable and supported side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Seattle have the richest owner

Dallas and Washington are the most valuable franchises

Richest owner doesn't matter much. Its a billionaire boys club. Outside of that it's irrelevant. For instance Irsay is richer than Snyder, but the Colts are small market and mid range value.

The Cowboys and Packers have a huge following throughout the US. I'd say theyre up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It matters if you are the Cleveland Browns and your owner faces multiple lawsuits for tens of millions of dollars :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

What would the top 5 be?

According to Forbes, the Most Valuable NFL teams are:

1. Cowboys
    2. Patriots
    3. Redskins
    4. Giants
    5. Texans

Selected other sides:

6. Jets
    9. Ravens
    12. Packers
    14. Steelers
    21. Vikings
    27. Bengals
    32. Raiders

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

TaosHum wrote: »
    According to Forbes, the Most Valuable NFL teams are:

1. Cowboys
    2. Patriots
    3. Redskins
    4. Giants
    5. Texans

Selected other sides:

6. Jets
    9. Ravens
    12. Packers
    14. Steelers
    21. Vikings
    27. Bengals
    32. Raiders

Does being the richest make you the biggest?, maybe it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Does being the richest make you the biggest?, maybe it does!

Most valuable. Nothing to do with the owners personal wealth. It's the estimated price the franchise would sell for should it be sold. Surprised to see the Redskins and Texans so high but the Cowboys makes sense. Second most valuable sports organisation in the world after Manchester United I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Unfortunately I got it from every angle Sunday. Packers losing to the Bengals after being well ahead, Mayo losing to the Dubs and United getting analed by City. Altogether, it's pretty understandable that today was the first day I've been sober since the weekend.

Now to sit through the postmortem of each game on Sky plus. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Most valuable. Nothing to do with the owners personal wealth. It's the estimated price the franchise would sell for should it be sold. Surprised to see the Redskins and Texans so high but the Cowboys makes sense. Second most valuable sports organisation in the world after Manchester United I believe.

nope, some baseball team sold for over a billion making it the second highest last year iirc

• Advertisement

Real Mardid are 2 & Yanks at 3.

Really surprised by the Texans being so high. I had read that the Skins were 2nd to the Cowgirls. How valuable would an LA based franchise be I wonder?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement