Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Raiders possibly best fit?

Matt Flynn eagerly awaiting to be cut for a massive pay day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Arawn wrote: »
    Matt Flynn eagerly awaiting to be cut for a massive pay day :pac:

And then back to the Packers on a major cut price deal on what he would've been paid if we retained him! :P I'd take that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Raiders possibly best fit?

I'd say Raiders will give Pryor every chance this year and seem to like McGloin as back up.

The Jags could do worse (Tebow ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I'd say Raiders will give Pryor every chance this year and seem to like McGloin as back up.

The Jags could do worse (Tebow ;))

Jags are in full tank mode! They won't be picking up freeman! (Though he would be an upgrade!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Just heard the radio advertisement for the Benglas-Patriots coverage this weekend....was a good laugh.

(Really dramatic sports announcer)
    "The Patriots quarter back has MVP awards, multiple Superbowls and a supermodel for a wife......the Bengals quarter back is ginger and is named Andy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Just heard the radio advertisement for the Benglas-Patriots coverage this weekend....was a good laugh.

(Really dramatic sports announcer)
    "The Patriots quarter back has MVP awards, multiple Superbowls and a supermodel for a wife......the Bengals quarter back is ginger and is named Andy"
    yeah bit we all saw his missus in hard knocks...I'd say he's happy enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

ROFL :D

That's priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Chris Burke ‏@ChrisBurke_SI 1h
    Seattle probably will pick up Josh Freeman and somehow turn him into an 11-sack linebacker.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

The browns are better than .500 after five games for the first time since 2001.

That is an eye-poppingly sh!t recent record.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Albert breer is reporting that Brian Hoyer may have torn his ACL. An MRI has to be done still but a doctor can tell by doing movements to the knee but surgery will tell you for sure

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Albert breer is reporting that Brian Hoyer may have torn his ACL. An MRI has to be done still but a doctor can tell by doing movements to the knee but surgery will tell you for sure

Brian finally gets to do what he has waited to to do and become a starter. Then this crap happens, I hope he makes a full & speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Itssoeasy wrote: »

:confused: An MRI will tell you for sure, no way they open him up to 'find out' - don't get the surgery bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

kennyb3 wrote: »
    :confused: An MRI will tell you for sure, no way they open him up to 'find out' - don't get the surgery bit.

Well I've seen cases where an MRI of the knee said someone's ACL was torn and they went for surgery and it turned out it wasn't torn so that's what I meant by surgery will be definitive. Regardless, he has done something to his right knee which will more than likely need surgery.

Just to clear something up here lads. Regardless of what an MRI scan might reveal. A surgeon will need to carry out a further supplemental examination of a damaged knee. Most surgeons will try and avoid performing an open surgical procedure on the knee. So today, a less invasive arthroscopic surgical investigation & repair, is the much preferred course of action for knee surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Another one from this week I found interesting/amusing/typical. Since 04 the cowboys have been 2-1, seven times, each and every time they've fallen to 2-2.

An even better one. Currently the Cowboys are 2-2, coming off an 8-8 season and they are 130-130 in their last 260 games. Deep in a hole of mediocrity it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Bored and trawling through wikipedia, I noticed Richard Sherman was the 21st CB in the 2011 draft. Nuts!

The Colts drafted a CB a few picks later, having picked guys like Ben Ijalana and Drake Nevis beforehand.

davyjose wrote: »
    Bored and trawling through wikipedia, I noticed Richard Sherman was the 21st CB in the 2011 draft. Nuts!

The Colts drafted a CB a few picks later, having picked guys like Ben Ijalana and Drake Nevis beforehand.

tom brady 6th round. my go to response to all i ant believe draft stories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭franglan

Where do people think Freeman will end up? A good bit of talk saying Buffalo? Can't see it happening as it portrays the image that they are not convinced on Manuel.

On a side note they do need somebody as their only active QB is Jeff Tuel!

• Advertisement

franglan wrote: »
    Where do people think Freeman will end up? A good bit of talk saying Buffalo? Can't see it happening as it portrays the image that they are not convinced on Manuel.

manuel could be gone longer than the 4 weeks, id say 8 tbh. But raiders tbh, cut flynn

manuel could be gone longer than the 4 weeks, id say 8 tbh. But raiders tbh, cut flynn

Matt Flynn really has made a lot of money out of losing jobs he was certain to win. Another possibility is that he goes back to the Packers.

tom brady 6th round. my go to response to all i ant believe draft stories

Watching Sherman on the NFL network the other night and he was talking about "I was a 5th round draft pick, 154th overall." I got the impression the guy thinks he's the most successful lowest round draft pick ever. So I was thinking to myself, I think he overlooked one guy who was a 6th round pick and 199th overall.

Watching Sherman on the NFL network the other night and he was talking about "I was a 5th round draft pick, 154th overall." I got the impression the guy thinks he's the most successful lowest round draft pick ever. So I was thinking to myself, I think he overlooked one guy who was a 6th round pick and 199th overall.

TBF Kurt Warner & Antonio Gates as undrafted free agents top both!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

On the topic of the draft, was anyone a keen follower of college ball around 5 years ago, and can they tell me what on earth Jim Mora saw in the now retired Aaron Curry, to pick him ahead of Clay Matthews or Brian Cushing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Neil3030 wrote: »
    On the topic of the draft, was anyone a keen follower of college ball around 5 years ago, and can they tell me what on earth Jim Mora saw in the now retired Aaron Curry, to pick him ahead of Clay Matthews or Brian Cushing?

Most people saw him as the safest bet in the draft there was rounders of him going no 1 and clay in particular hade huge injury concerns. He was a guaranteed multiple pro bowler apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Awkward double date between Brady/Collie and Manning/Welker.

UwH7yDC.jpg

nerd69 wrote: »
    Most people saw him as the safest bet in the draft there was rounders of him going no 1 and clay in particular hade huge injury concerns. He was a guaranteed multiple pro bowler apparently

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/130376-meet-aaron-curry-the-safest-pick-in-the-draft

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-04-19-aaron-curry-cover_N.htm

There is even a quote from Curry himself somewhere regarding being called the safest pick in the draft & how it means he will not fail

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Interesting read from La Canfora on Jimmy Graham and the franchise tag. Looks like the NFL and NFLPA will end up in arbitration over what position Graham actually plays, due to there being a difference of around $5m in the tag for WR's and TE's:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24036481/what-happens-if-the-saints-decide-to-franchise-jimmy-graham
    The Saints were not close to a new deal with hybrid tight end Jimmy Graham prior to the start of the season and a failure to land one by February would surely end up with him getting the franchise tag, with no organization letting a talent like him hit the open market. With so many teams using multiple tight ends with varied job descriptions, and clubs attempting passes at a staggering rate, it seems inevitable at some point this distinction will be challenged.

And if Graham, on a record-setting pace for New Orleans this season, got the tag, expect the NFLPA and NFL to end up in arbitration over Graham’s true position. Though he plays tight end, Graham is at the vanguard of the growing trend of spread formations with tight ends in the slot or out wide, and not used nearly as much in the traditional role of engaging as a blocker at the point of attack. He is a size, speed and strength matchup nightmare for defensive backs on the outside, and his focal point in the New Orleans offense -- like anAntonio Gates or a Rob Gronkowski -- is catching balls.

Last year, tight end Jared Cook was pursuing a similar argument had the Titans franchise him -- they were not up for the fight and he ended up signing with the Rams in free agency -- but if Graham is tagged there is no doubt he would. Consider, if the 2014 salary cap is around $127M, then the tight end tag would be $6.7M, while the receiver tag would be $11.6. That's a staggering difference on a one-year deal.

NFLPA sources said such an argument would take into account the role Graham played in the offense -- his positional distinction inside the playbook -- like how often he was blocking and involved in the run game and what percentage of the time he was lined up outside the hash marks. In fact, many of the Saints running plays actually go away from Graham’s side of the field and the team, smartly, tries to protect him from dangerous blocks in that regard.

GMs and agents around the league would be watching very closely and there is no precedent here. A few years back, Ravens pass rusher Terrell Suggs was fighting the distinction he was a linebacker and not an outside linebacker, but sources said in the deal that was struck in his instance the sides agreed to split the difference between the two franchise tags. The language in that deal made it explicitly clear that it pertained only to Suggs and “was not precedent setting” as to any future issues that might come up about player positional designations vis-a vis the franchise tag.

Gronkowski is the highest paid tight end in the NFL at $9 million a season, well below what top receivers earn. Consider, in free agency last year alone, receiver Mike Wallace, who in no way impacts an offense to the degree a move tight end like Graham does, earned $12 million a year from Miami, becoming the fourth-highest paid receiver in the NFL. Receiver Percy Harvin received a deal worth $12.8M a year from Seattle following his trade there, and Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson, the highest-paid receivers in the game, earn roughly $16-million a year. That's more than double what most elite tight ends earn.

Graham is in the final year of his rookie deal, making $1.32M this season.

What do you all make of this? Should Graham be paid as a WR or TE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Paully D wrote: »
    Interesting read from La Canfora on Jimmy Graham and the franchise tag. Looks like the NFL and NFLPA will end up in arbitration over what position Graham actually plays, due to there being a difference of around $5m in the tag for WR's and TE's:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24036481/what-happens-if-the-saints-decide-to-franchise-jimmy-graham

What do you all make of this? Should Graham be paid as a WR or TE?
    They should pay him whatever he wants really considering his impact, however if it goes to a situation where he is franchise tagged then he is a TE, unfortunately for him. I presume he's on all depth charts/registrations as a TE. If a RB throws a pass every so often it doesn't make him a QB (i'm over simplifying it but you understand where i'm coming from).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement