Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Denver 51 - 48 Dallas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Paully D wrote: »
    Interesting read from La Canfora on Jimmy Graham and the franchise tag. Looks like the NFL and NFLPA will end up in arbitration over what position Graham actually plays, due to there being a difference of around $5m in the tag for WR's and TE's:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24036481/what-happens-if-the-saints-decide-to-franchise-jimmy-graham

What do you all make of this? Should Graham be paid as a WR or TE?

From everything I've read he'll be played depends on where he lines up. If he lines up on the OL and never blocks he'll still be considered a TE afaik. If the Saints are smart they stick him on the line for most plays when the team is heavily up in the 4th quarter just to ensure he'll go down as a TE.

This bad boy with be at the O.Co Colosseum later for Manti Te'o first NFL game away from home...

BVx2xu4CUAAkrYB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Denver 51 - 48 Dallas
    Yeah there's a thread for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Freeman to the Vikings on a 1 year deal. Correct move with the options available to him imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Freeman to the Vikings on a 1 year deal. Correct move with the options available to him imo.

Good move by the Vikes if you ask me. Freeman is a player with a lot of talent (we saw that two years ago) but he's lost his way for whatever reason. I think sitting behind the likes of Cassel will be good for him and once he understands the playbook I've no doubt he'd be an upgrade on Ponder if the Vikes decided to keep hold of him longer term. For, presumably the league minimum, they have a four year starter that can offer very good depth at QB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Pryor had a great first half, looks like he's gonna be a good player. He's also got a piss poor line in front of him which makes it more impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

OAOB wrote: »
    Pryor had a great first half, looks like he's gonna be a good player. He's also got a piss poor line in front of him which makes it more impressive

Yeah I like what I've seen of him too, and as you say, their o-line looks really bad, so it's impressive what he's doing. Kind of strange they traded for Matt Flynn when they had Pryor on the books. Not saying Pryor's proven himself yet, but in the few games he's played, definitely looks like a guy you'd go with for a season.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Yeah I like what I've seen of him too, and as you say, their o-line looks really bad, so it's impressive what he's doing. Kind of strange they traded for Matt Flynn when they had Pryor on the books. Not saying Pryor's proven himself yet, but in the few games he's played, definitely looks like a guy you'd go with for a season.

It will be interesting to see how does when we have a fit Oline. I think once we started getting so many injuries we had no choice but to go with Pyror due to his ability to escape the pocket.

Raiders have cut Matt Flynn. He's been paid $14.5 million in the past two years for one start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Raiders have cut Matt Flynn. He's been paid $14.5 million in the past two years for one start.

Nice work if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

It will be interesting to see how does when we have a fit Oline. I think once we started getting so many injuries we had no choice but to go with Pyror due to his ability to escape the pocket.

Will Menelik Watson & Jared Veldheer be back this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

The Tim tebow/kevin kolb school of marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The definition of living the dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

nerd69 wrote: »
    The Tim tebow/kevin kolb school of marketing
    Huh?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

The giants are fcuking pathetic right now. 0 - 5. Worst start to a season in 34 years.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Will Menelik Watson & Jared Veldheer be back this year?

Yea. Watson should be back this week all accounts. Veldheer is on the IR to return list so should be available after week 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The giants are fcuking pathetic right now. 0 - 5. Worst start to a season in 34 years.

It's likely they'll go 0-6 as well against the Bears on Friday. Only thing is they have a bit of a break with the Vikings and the Raiders where they can try and get a win, but then they'll be hammered by the Packers, Cowboys, and after that they've Redskins who they've a chance of beating considering they're playing brutal too, but the Chargers won't be a push over after that, and then of course you have the Seahawks and the Lions the couple of weeks after that.

It's not looking too good for Eli, if they don't pick up the wins against the Vikings and the Raiders they're almost definitely looking at a losing season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Gas how they're still only 2 games off the division lead though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

SantryRed wrote: »
    Gas how they're still only 2 games off the division lead though :pac:

In fairness it's probably one of the weakest divisions this year, the Redskins are brutal with RGIII still not back to full health, the Cowboys are under-performing, the Eagles will all eventually collapse from Kelly's high speed offense, look what happened to Vick yesterday he pulled up with a hamstring injury.

It's mental that the division leaders have a losing record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Veldheer is on the IR to return list so should be available after week 6.

He will be allowed to practice in week 6.

He cannot be activated for gameday until week 8

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Flynn cut by the Raiders. Tough couple of years for him, going from one of the most sought after free agents in 2012, to losing his starting spot at Seattle to a rookie QB, to then losing his spot at the Raiders to an undrafted rookie QB.

That said, nice work if you can get it:
    The Seahawks and Raiders paid Flynn $14.5 million combined for one start in the past two seasons.

Just seeing this was mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Is it just me or has there ever been such a QB merry go round before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Ok so hands up who would have predicted that after week 5 the Falcons, giants and steelers would have a combined 1 win between them! The browns would be (joint) top of the AFC north! The saints would have one of the best scoring defences! And the raiders would have won 2 games with Pryor at QB!
    Madness!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Ok so hands up who would have predicted that after week 5 the Falcons, giants and steelers would have a combined 1 win between them! The browns would be (joint) top of the AFC north! The saints would have one of the best scoring defences! And the raiders would have won 2 games with Pryor at QB!
    Madness!

Stupid preseason, wait until the regular season starts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Yep. The staff needs to go. There is a lot of overpaid garbage in that team.
    _Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    In fairness it's probably one of the weakest divisions this year, the Redskins are brutal with RGIII still not back to full health, the Cowboys are under-performing, the Eagles will all eventually collapse from Kelly's high speed offense, look what happened to Vick yesterday he pulled up with a hamstring injury.

It's mental that the division leaders have a losing record.

I wouldn't say the Cowboys are under-performing. I think they are doing good. I think in comparison to last year they are slightly better and Romo played out of his skin on Sunday. The Eagles are a terrible team, like ourselves, they have a lot of work to do. The Redskins were always going to go backwards this year.
    taidghbaby wrote: »
    Madness!

Not me. I thought we (The Giants) would have a decent enough year. The loss of Bradshaw as a leader on this team has been colossal. Wilson has been terrible with the football. We have no run game, Pugh hasn't played well at all and our OLine is terrible. As Chucky said in the off-season Myers is a terrible blocker and he doesn't suit the Giants at all. Nicks has looked disinterested since Cruz got his deal and Eli has been awful for 2 years in a row now.

On defence we have no leaders. Tuck is done and JPP hasn't got going since his All-Pro year in 2011. We aren't great in the back field and we have no LB'ers at all. Reese has turned this team into a terrible one. Even before the last SB win we've rewarded players on loyalty rather than performance and merit. We're so short-sighted in our contract dealings and we've drafted poorly the past 3 years IMO. Our offensive play-calling by Kevin Gilbride, known as Killdrive in NY, has been terrible. Eli has been playing so poorly yet Gilbride continues with this high-risk, high-reward style of play. Having no run game or blockers doesn't help but we should still be doing much better.

There is a lot of delusion surrounding this team and something has to give. Reese, Coughlin, Fewell and Gilbride will get fired at some point. We need a pretty good clear out.

I'd agree with all of that apart from the Pugh criticism. By all accounts he has been pretty steady so far & our best o~lineman (not that thats saying much)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

• Advertisement

Things just gone from bad to a lot lot worse for Atlanta. Julio Jones getting a second opinion but looks to be done for the season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/08/falcons-fear-julio-jones-lost-for-season/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement