Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Tony G gotta be considering snap retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Falcons will be some team next year when they get all their injured players back and then add in whats likely to be a high draft position on top. Could be serious contenders again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Masked Man wrote: »
    Tony G gotta be considering snap retiring.

Should look for a trade back to the Chiefs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

Poor tony will get some bruised bones with all the passes thrown to him now. Hopefully won't be at the receiving end of any more 'Muggings' like against the jets. Probably still holding him. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    It's likely they'll go 0-6 as well against the Bears on Friday. Only thing is they have a bit of a break with the Vikings and the Raiders where they can try and get a win, but then they'll be hammered by the Packers, Cowboys, and after that they've Redskins who they've a chance of beating considering they're playing brutal too, but the Chargers won't be a push over after that, and then of course you have the Seahawks and the Lions the couple of weeks after that.

It's not looking too good for Eli, if they don't pick up the wins against the Vikings and the Raiders they're almost definitely looking at a losing season.

Unfortunately I agree with most everything you've said. I can't see things getting much better anytime soon either. The season is looking very like a complete right-off for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Washington Griffins? :pac:

Cheers lads;), why all the talk lately about the changing the "skins" name i mean they have been called that for donkeys years why now?? The world has gone fcukin nuts if thats all they have to worry about
    I hope it doesnt happen anyway,and i dont think it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Cheers lads;), why all the talk lately about the changing the "skins" name i mean they have been called that for donkeys years why now?? The world has gone fcukin nuts if thats all they have to worry about
    I hope it doesnt happen anyway,and i dont think it will.

You are right the world has gone nuts. It's political correctness from a bunch of people who probably don't even watch the NFL.

It seems like it is only a matter of time before they will bow to pressure & change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

The Cleveland Indians logo is probably worse too. You don't hear much about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I see the Wembley series has increased to three games for 2014 and the home teams are going to be - The Jags, Raiders and Falcons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Gregg Easterbrook has been calling the skins the 'Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons' for yonks. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

I see the Wembley series has increased to three games for 2014 and the home teams are going to be - The Jags, Raiders and Falcons.

Packers aren't playing either the Jags or Raiders and have the Falcons at home next season. Definitely will be the last team to cross the pond :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

This Schaub stuff is crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Red Crow wrote: »
    The Cleveland Indians logo is probably worse too. You don't hear much about that.

Screen-Shot-2013-10-04-at-2.02.44-PM.png

Its pretty bad alright...but just not as bad as the fans who dressed up in Redface :eek:

indians-fans.jpg?w=788&h=454

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Gregg Easterbrook has been calling the skins the 'Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons' for yonks. :pac:

Snyder doesn't look like he;s going to budge any time soon.

http://files.redskins.com/pdf/Letter-from-Dan-Snyder.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Packers aren't playing either the Jags or Raiders and have the Falcons at home next season. Definitely will be the last team to cross the pond :(

I have a feeling it'll be Indy. I don't want it o be: it's a distraction IMO, but we'll see.

Snyder doesn't look like he;s going to budge any time soon.

http://files.redskins.com/pdf/Letter-from-Dan-Snyder.pdf

Good letter that, the redskins wont change their name while mr snyder is at the helm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A source close to law enforcement told The Fred and Ted Show late Tuesday evening that Houston Police were contacted by the NFL after fans approached Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub at his home and berated him for his recent poor play.

No arrests were made.

“A fan went to his house and told him off,” said the source, adding that another person “took pictures of his family,” which were allegedly posted on Facebook. Fortunately, neither Schaub nor anyone in his family was hurt.

The irate fans left on their own accord before police could respond, and it’s believed Schaub and the Texans contacted NFL Security which asked for assistance from the Houston Police Department after the incident, according to the source.

I've not seen this in a few years

I do remember when Tom Brady returned from injury a Bills player (McKelvin?) fumbled a kick return and the Patriots scored a late winning TD. Fans left nasty messages on his lawn. Tame compared to this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Twitter last night had the hashtag #Jaguarspickuplines trending. some brilliant ones out there at the expense of the unfortunate Jags.

"Without you, my life would be like a Blaine Gabbert pass - incomplete."

"I won't beat you!"

"Trust me, I'm not looking to score."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

According to America's finest news source, the Washington Redskins are indeed considering changing their name....

.... to the D.C. Redskins...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Good letter that, the redskins wont change their name while mr snyder is at the helm
    He will. The pressure will build. The fact that he's even addressing the issue for the first time suggests that.

I think it's a flimsy letter. His justification for keeping the name is that it's tradition stemming back from the 30's. Hmmm, America was a paragon of racial equality in the '30's, yeah?

He's hiding behind tradition, but that doesn't make the name any less offensive. The irony is that it's not even the team's original name. They've already had two significant name changes. They started life as the Boston Braves. The only reason he won't change the name is the cost of doing so IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

They should change it to the Maryland Redskins.

While we are at it, the Jets should drop the 'New York' prefix also.

davyjose wrote: »
    He will. The pressure will build. The fact that he's even addressing the issue for the first time suggests that.

I think it's a flimsy letter. His justification for keeping the name is that it's tradition stemming back from the 30's. Hmmm, America was a paragon of racial equality in the '30's, yeah?

He's hiding behind tradition, but that doesn't make the name any less offensive. The irony is that it's not even the team's original name. They've already had two significant name changes. They started life as the Boston Braves. The only reason he won't change the name is the cost of doing so IMO.

They shouldnt have to drop the name anyway, according to the surveys in the letter the native americans have no problems with it, as was also said the native american needs to be kept in the public eye, anytime anyone sees anything to do with the redskins they see a profile of a native american,the chicago blackhawkes,and cleveland indians are the same,getting rid of these names and logos from the face of the earth would be bad for american history,these people need to be remembered not wiped from memory

They should change it to the Maryland Redskins.

Na Maryland is Raven's country. They were there a year earlier :P.

• Advertisement

They shouldnt have to drop the name anyway, according to the surveys in the letter the native americans have no problems with it, as was also said the native american needs to be kept in the public eye, anytime anyone sees anything to do with the redskins they see a profile of a native american,the chicago blackhawkes,and cleveland indians are the same,getting rid of these names and logos from the face of the earth would be bad for american history,these people need to be remembered not wiped from memory

But the Blackhawks and the Indians are not the same. Those names are not racial slurs. "Redskin" is.

I think they should just get rid. It'll happen at some stage, whether it be 5 years or 50 years. I appreciate that the brand is huge and it will be painful and costly, but think ultimately it could only be a good thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement