Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

But the Blackhawks and the Indians are not the same. Those names are not racial slurs. "Redskin" is.

I think they should just get rid. It'll happen at some stage, whether it be 5 years or 50 years. I appreciate that the brand is huge and it will be painful and costly, but think ultimately it could only be a good thing.

Agreed.....it isn't the reference to native americans that's the issue...it's the fact that redskin is considered a slur.

There was a similar issue when the Atlanta Braves attempted to change their logo from the tomohawk to a screaming indian head...the head started being referred to as the "screaming savage" and the Braves quickly abandoned the plan to change the logo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

shamrock55 wrote: »
    They shouldnt have to drop the name anyway, according to the surveys in the letter the native americans have no problems with it, as was also said the native american needs to be kept in the public eye, anytime anyone sees anything to do with the redskins they see a profile of a native american,the chicago blackhawkes,and cleveland indians are the same,getting rid of these names and logos from the face of the earth would be bad for american history,these people need to be remembered not wiped from memory

Wiped from memory? Does being named after a sports team keep their name in the history books? That's an even bigger insult tbh. There are five million Native Americans in the US.

And it's not true to say native Americans have no problem with it. Many don't, many do. That doesn't preclude it from being a racial slur.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I can't see what the big deal over a name change is. The Pats were once the Boston Patriots. They changed their name after relocating further out to Foxborough and also because the city fathers did nothing to accommodate a stadium being built in Boston. I think a name change will eventually come. Would changing from The Washington Redskins, to a name like The Washington Braves be acceptable to all parties? Personally, I think the association with the past and brave, noble Indian warriors would surely be inoffensive to native Americans.

Think my favourite suggestion is

DC Comets!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Any chance of the Falcons trading Tony Gonzalez to a Super Bowl contender now that Julio Jones is out and their season looks to be done?

Mike Smith has called any suggestions of trading him ''preposterous'', but there's a bit of chat regarding a possible move back to the Chiefs brewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

And leave Matt Ryan up the creek without a paddle? Not likely. Especially considering White may be at the very least understrength for a few weeks. The season can still be salvaged if Jackson comes back well. Next 3 games all quite winnable and they'd be back at .500, and looking at the state of the NFC that's back in contention for a WC spot with the Bears and Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

davyjose wrote: »
    Wiped from memory? Does being named after a sports team keep their name in the history books? That's an even bigger insult tbh. There are five million Native Americans in the US.

And it's not true to say native Americans have no problem with it. Many don't, many do. That doesn't preclude it from being a racial slur

I should have said the majority have no problem with it,i also read that alot of native american highschool and college teams are called the "redskins"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Think my favourite suggestion is

DC Comets!

As in - "comics":D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

They should change the name. I'm thinking the Washington rednecks. The logo xan can be a fat hairy guy in a wife beater

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

There's some noise that Adrian Peterson's two year old son was assaulted by his mother's boyfriend and is in critical condition. People just make ya sick sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Masked Man wrote: »
    There's some noise that Adrian Peterson's two year old son was assaulted by his mother's boyfriend and is in critical condition. People just make ya sick sometimes.

Ugh that's horrible if true.

Ugh that's horrible if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Usually no smoke without fire in these situations, unfortunately.

What could go through someone's head to make them assault or abuse anyone, let alone a two year old, defenseless kid. Sickening stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Peterson's son or not, disgusting news regardless. Hope the kid is ok and can fully recover, both physically and mentally.

Any kunt that does that to a 2 year old kid, deserves to have his life license revoked. But before doing that, let him spend a couple of hours on the field 'working out' with Adrian and his O line.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Getting a lot of press over here this morning but not many details, pretty shocking tbh, off to Seattle in a couple of hours :)

Getting a lot of press over here this morning but not many details, pretty shocking tbh, off to Seattle in a couple of hours :)

Don't forget to wear a 49er's jersey when you're there. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Don't forget to wear a 49er's jersey when you're there. :pac:

Hmmm you do want me to come back Corvus!

Hmmm you do want me to come back Corvus!

Of course....

and with my new monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Na Maryland is Raven's country. They were there a year earlier :P.

Virginia Virgins has a nice ring to it. Or Virginia Vaginas. I'm not fussy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Police have confirmed that APs' son has died. Got chills when I read the news. Terribly sad.

Police have confirmed that APs' son has died. Got chills when I read the news. Terribly sad.

Horrible horrible news. Truly sickening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Honestly that is disgusting. The guy that did it deserves to be tortured.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Such sad news. Really really awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

This world can really sicken you at times. To assault, and kill, a 2 year old kid. Man. That poor family.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

****ing disgusted hope he rots in hell. genuinely sickened when i heard this. i wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It takes a real brave man to assault and kill a two year old kid. Apparently AP had said earlier he would play Sunday but now he clearly won't.

A two year old for **** sake ? What kind of pond scum do you need to be to do that ? I hope he ****ing rots for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I'd say he might still play. Seems like the kid was likely to die or be taken off life support when he first said he would. It was reported that there was no brain activity around the time the news first came out.

Think I read somewhere that the mother is going to donate the child's organs. I guess that's some small silver lining, but tbh I'd never thought of babies organs being donated and it just makes sad to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Apparently AP had said earlier he would play Sunday but now he clearly won't.

Don't know about clearly, he would have known a lot more about the condition of his son than the media when he made the statement that he will play Sunday, can still see him playing and then taking a few days. He said playing will help him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

kmart6 wrote: »
    Don't know about clearly, he would have known a lot more about the condition of his son than the media when he made the statement that he will play Sunday, can still see him playing and then taking a few days. He said playing will help him.

But if your two year old son dies in a awful tragic way , how can his mind be in the right frame of mind to play football ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement