Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Hazys wrote: »
    I'd say they gave him a 2 game suspension as opposed to a 1 game suspension thinking that he would win on appeal and only get a 1 game suspension in the end.

Meriweather suspension reduced to one game lol

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/23/meriweather-suspension-reduced-to-one-game/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Apparently the Rams contacted Brett Favre last night. Jesus christ how idiotic is their management?! The guy is 44, plenty of much better options on the waiver wire.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The 3 games to be played in Wembley next year will be announced within the next 90 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Apparently the Rams contacted Brett Favre last night. Jesus christ how idiotic is their management?! The guy is 44, plenty of much better options on the waiver wire.

I don't know... I would love to see Favre back.. :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bit of disgrace with all their high draft picks recently the rams have no plan in place for a backup QB and also now looks like they will be in the market for a QB after trading away the pick for RG3 2 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The 3 games to be played in Wembley next year will be announced within the next 90 mins

NFL UK twitter is trolling, saying it will be before 2pm, just announce them now god dammit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Jags v Cowboys will be one according to ESPN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Bring over packers for **** sake :(

titans please!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If by Packers and Titans ye mean Giants, then yes. Definitely :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Dallas @ Jags
    Lions @ Atlanta
    Miami @ Oakland

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Cowboys @ Jags
    Lions @ Falcons
    Dolphins @ Raiders

Cowboys @ Jags
    Lions @ Falcons
    Fins @ Raiders

Middle one is the pick of the bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Miami coming back!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

TaosHum wrote: »
    Miami coming back!!!!!!

Underwhelming games to be honest, but not really surprising. Lions v Falcons looks the pick of the bunch but things change fast and who knows, Fish v Raiders could look a decent game next season.

Is this announcement earlier than last year? I think it was the first or second week of January I bought ticket for the Vikings v Steelers game. Just wondering when tickets will go on sale, if this announcement is much earlier than before they might go on sale before Christmas??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Underwhelming games to be honest, but not really surprising. Lions v Falcons looks the pick of the bunch but things change fast and who knows, Fish v Raiders could look a decent game next season.

Is this announcement earlier than last year? I think it was the first or second week of January I bought ticket for the Vikings v Steelers game. Just wondering when tickets will go on sale, if this announcement is much earlier than before they might go on sale before Christmas??

I suspect that with the extra games, and the earlier announcement......they may be trying to see if US fans will travel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Pretty epic Halloween costume.

563175_10200557311555839_1405401751_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Thats class! :D Tempted to rob it as I have a 5 ND jersey but it'd be lost on most over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Zoton

Woohoo! Looking forward to this already. The Vikings v Steelers game was thoroughly enjoyable a few weeks back, so getting to see the Lions in action will be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

AlexSmithFakesNoOne.gif

563175_10200557311555839_1405401751_n.jpg

1378861_612328218813870_1571207178_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Guess you could file this one under Weird, Wacky and possibly Awesome.. want to own Arian Foster? Literally.
    Most investors would balk at buying stock in an asset that could be crippled by being crippled. But that is exactly what a new company called Fantex is proposing in inviting people to buy shares in Houston Texan All-Pro running back Arian Foster.

Fantex describes itself as the "first registered trading platform that lets you buy and sell stock linked to the value and performance of a pro athlete brand." The unusual share offering is based on a deal the company has with Foster requiring it to pay him $10 million in return for a 20 percent share of his remaining contract with the Texans, as well as from any other money he earns from football or related activities, such as endorsements or even a broadcasting job after his playing career is over. In order to raise the promised payment, Fantex plans to sell about 1 million shares in its Foster offering at $10 apiece.

Last year, Foster, 27, signed a three-year contract with the Texans for $43.5 million. More than $12 million of that was a signing bonus that is not covered under his contract with Fantex. Although that is a lot of money, Foster's contract, like those of practically all NFL players, isn't guaranteed. So while he is scheduled to be paid $5.75 million next season, $6 million the following season and $6.5 million the one after that, he won't get the money if the team cuts him or if he can't play because of injuries. According the NFL players association, the average career of an NFL running back lasts 2.6 years, the shortest of any position in the game.

Like anyone who plays professional football, Foster gets injured quite a bit. He has had surgery on his knee, missed three games in 2011 due to hamstring issues and is currently being examined for problems in his right calf, which was strained during off-season practice earlier this year. He also has an irregular heartbeat, although that doesn't affect his ability to play football.

Continues on http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-57608176/how-to-buy-a-piece-of-nfl-star-arian-foster/

I've seen safer investments!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnnymt

They used to time it around superbowl time going back a few years.

Lions/Falcons is probably the pick of the games alright based on current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Cams reaction is brilliant.

Marshall Faulk doesn't even flinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lads, I'm not familar with how it works (AFAIK the TV networks pick the games at the start of the year, but can change some near the end of the season that look like having playoff implications etc?) but do you think something should be done regarding the primetime games?

I just feel a lot of the games are poor. Take this week for example. Panthers/Bucs, Packers/Vikings and Seahawks/Rams. Sure, some divisional games, but chances are they won't be close. Last week we had Vikings/Giants which a reporter called one of the worst games he'd ever seen (IIRC).

I get that a lot of games they pick at the start of the year may look attractive at the time, and I know fans will have booked time off etc ahead of the games, but selfishly I'd rather see better games at primetime. Although I'd imagine there's little that can be done if teams have arranged travel etc.

What do you all feel about the situation?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

adrian522 wrote: »

Ah, cheers. That's fair enough I guess if they change it from weeks 11. Gives them enough time to determine how teams are shaping up along with not messing with plans too much.

That's only for Sunday night games, they are stuck with the others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

DDC1990 wrote: »

Cams reaction is brilliant.

Marshall Faulk doesn't even flinch.

I went to a Rutgers game 5 years ago where they let off a cannon after every TD. We were right beside the cannon, Rutgers scored 10 TDs and won 70-14. I flinched every, single, time! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

SantryRed wrote: »
    I went to a Rutgers game 5 years ago where they let off a cannon after every TD. We were right beside the cannon, Rutgers scored 10 TDs and won 70-14. I flinched every, single, time! :pac:

And I assume you had to learn sign language afterwards. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

And I assume you had to learn sign language afterwards. :D

The worst part was we were late and missed the first TD, so as we show the guy our tickets and he tells us where to go, I didn't actually catch it when he said "maybe you should until after cannon". Was strolling down the stairs as this massive boom went off, I literally shat myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement