Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

BYAdKySCIAAUQRT.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Justin Blackmon suspended again under substance abuse policy. Was suspended for weeks 1-4 already. Not going to make an awful difference to the Jags season truth be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

next strike is a year long ban right?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Justin Blackmon suspended again under substance abuse policy. Was suspended for weeks 1-4 already. Not going to make an awful difference to the Jags season truth be told.

The f-ing clown is on my fantasy roster. I've already lost Mike Williams on IR and James Jones is out a while. :mad:

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The f-ing clown is on my fantasy roster. I've already lost Mike Williams on IR and James Jones is out a while. :mad:

Jones was back in training today, keep an eye out on the injury report tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Suspended without pay indefinitely :( What a shame. He is extremely talented & is blowing a great career. Would have been a massive help for Bridgewater next year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Jags can't even win in a bye week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Reports that John Fox just been taken to hospital with a suspected heart attack.

davyjose wrote: »
    Reports that John Fox just been taken to hospital with a suspected heart attack.

I heard you the first time mate :pac:

On a serious note, Broncos officials have said they believe he will be fine which is excellent news.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »

On a serious note, Broncos officials have said they believe he will be fine which is excellent news.

My fcuking mobile has been doing this every post.

Paully D wrote: »

It is great news. But I can't imagine we'll see him back before December. It's still a freaking heart attack!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Apparently Chris Mortenson got a text off him saying he is fine. I'm presuming Mort sent the first text, hideously inappropriate to text him when the reports were that it was a heart attack tbh! Even if he's "just doing his job". Give the man some time to recover!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I think your presumption is more than likely wrong. Often players contact Mort/Glazer/Schefter when they want to get a message out quickly, wouldn't be surprised if Fox was the one to make contact here.

This Jonathan Martin situation is a strange one. He left due to reported harassment from fellow players, and almost all of the main NFL reporters are saying Richie Incognito played a leading role in the bullying. However, Incogntio is apoplectic about being accused of this and on Twitter is saying he wants his name cleared. Then Jason La Canfora posted this article:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24181321/dolphins-t-jonathan-martin-harassment-was-ongoing-leave-could-be-lengthy
    Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin remains away from the team following an incident at the facility last week in which other members of the offensive line verbally harassed him, something that has been ongoing throughout his season-and-a-half there according to sources with knowledge of the situation. Dolphins guard Richie Incognito, according to sources, was “the ring-leader,” of the ongoing bullying, acting particularly “menacing” toward Martin, while center Mike Pouncey was also involved.

Incognito is strongly denying any role in the matter on social media. The NFLPA, while not investigating the issue as it is not in a position to discipline its members for locker room activities, is monitoring it and Executive Director DeMaurice Smith has spoken to Incognito, sources said, as well as representatives for Martin.

Martin has no plans to return to the team at this point, sources said, focused on getting himself well and waiting to see if the Dolphins take action in this manner. They have not adjusted his status or done anything to dock his pay to this point, nor has the team taken any action to ensure a safer and normal workplace environment for him, should he return. Until the Dolphins take action, Martin’s position is unlikely to change. It is likely that the team will place Martin on the non-football-injury list Tuesday.

Last week’s flare-up between Martin and his teammates, “was not an isolated incident -- not even close,” one source said. “It’s been going on almost since they drafted him.” Other players on the team said it was fairly widely known within the team that the offensive linemen were hard on Martin, a second-round pick in 2012, and Martin has expressed his displeasure with the situation in the past. Last week, several Dolphins players denied there was any history of verbal abuse or bullying of Martin.

Incognito has had to be reprimanded in the past for his actions toward team employees, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. It is not uncommon for him to intentionally walk into people and make others feel uncomfortable, and to make threatening remarks to Martin, sources said. “It’s hard to picture a 6-foot-5 350-lb football player as being the victim of bullying, but that’s exactly what took place here,” the source said. “He is genuinely scared of what Incognito might do to him, or has threatened to do to him.”

Rookie hazing is a rite of passage in the NFL, but this has continued well into Martin’s second season in the NFL and was personal and different from what the rest of the team’s 2012 rookie class might have gone through, sources said. The Dolphins' team management has been made aware of the timeline of events as well.

Martin was inactive for Thursday night’s win over the Bengals -- he was not at the stadium -- and at this point he remains on the 53-man roster. Martin began the season as the team’s starting left tackle and recently shifted back to the right side.

The Dolphins are not commenting on any specifics of Martin’s situation and the NFLPA released a statement Saturday saying they are not investigating Incognito or any other Dolphin player.

A lot of ex-NFL players are saying that it's rookie hazing that has continued and would continue until Martin stands up for himself, but it's a sad situation when a fellow team mate makes a player feel so afraid that he has to leave the team.

Sounds like a rotten situation down at Miami, with one young player telling a Miami Heareld Reporter that he's gone broke due to pressure to pay for older players (team dinners etc):

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley:
    I can now report this: This is a HUGE issue inside the Dolphins' locker room, and not just limited to this situation.

One young defensive player, whose privacy I'm protecting, has literally gone broke because he's been pressured to pay for older players.

They've gotten sucked into the Miami lifestyle, and the veterans are using the younger players as an ATM, I'm told.

Recently, a younger player was handed the tab for a $30,000 team dinner. The rookie minimum this year is around $400.000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

It's impossible to know the truth and there's always two sides to every story! Having said that there's a lot of stories of how the veterans have treated the younger players coming out and IMO if true they are disgraceful!

You also look at the past record of the two seemingly main protagonists (Incognito and "free Hernandez" Pouncy) and think that the bullying accusations could very well be true!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    It's impossible to know the truth and there's always two sides to every story! Having said that there's a lot of stories of how the veterans have treated the younger players coming out and IMO if true they are disgraceful!

You also look at the past record of the two seemingly main protagonists (Incognito and "free Hernandez" Pouncy) and think that the bullying accusations could very well be true!

Tbh Rookie hazing is fine, but having them spending almost 10% on a dinner is ****ing nuts. If it is just a once off fair enough let it be. But actually causing players to be broke/near broke is prickish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Reminds me of the story when Beckham landed to LA after his mega deal and brought the younger players out for a meal in some ridiculously expensive restaurant.. only to leave early and leave the kids with the bill!

Whilst that was probably an error, the Miami guys sound like they're just being dicks.

When you read stories like that it's hard not to admire Dez Bryant's stance on rookie hazing which was basically telling the veterans to **** off before it started.

also what the **** are you eating thats nearly 600$ a person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Reminds me of the story when Beckham landed to LA after his mega deal and brought the younger players out for a meal in some ridiculously expensive restaurant.. only to leave early and leave the kids with the bill!

Whilst that was probably an error, the Miami guys sound like they're just being dicks.

This happens all over the league, not just in Miami. I'm not condoning it, as its totally unfair to make rookies pay huge bills that are being run up on purpose, but this is not exclusive to Miami.

TaosHum wrote: »
    This happens all over the league, not just in Miami. I'm not condoning it, as its totally unfair to make rookies pay huge bills that are being run up on purpose, but this is not exclusive to Miami.

if it's ha[[ening so much that a guy on 400k a year is going broke then it is just a miami thing

Arawn wrote: »
    if it's ha[[ening so much that a guy on 400k a year is going broke then it is just a miami thing

Dez Bryant had to pay $54,000 for a dinner tab

Shawn Merriman when he was a rookie at SD had to pay $32,000.

Larry English $15,000

Shea McClellin and Aston Whiteside $39,000

And these are the ones that are reported. As I said it goes on all the time all over the league. Needs to stop.

Dez Bryant had to pay $54,000 for a dinner tab

Shawn Merriman when he was a rookie at SD had to pay $32,000.

Larry English $15,000

Shea McClellin and Aston Whiteside $39,000

And these are the ones that are reported. As I said it goes on all the time all over the league. Needs to stop.

If he is going broke he has clearly had to pair more than one

Arawn wrote: »
    If he is going broke he has clearly had to pair more than one

I'd be very careful about believing what Beasley has been reporting. For one, he stated he would not name the player in question. Yet Will Davis a couple of days ago Tweeted:

Will Davis ‏@WillieD_effect 2 Nov
    I just seen a dinner bill for $30,000... WOW #RookieNight

So he's hardly too worried about his confidentiality when Davis tweeted it 2 days ago.

Also Will Davis was a third round pick,thus his contract is more than league minimum. With signing bonus, he stands to earn $535,000 this year, $625,000 in 2014, $715,000 in 2015 and $805,000 in 2016. So he is earning a good deal more than the $400,000 rookie minimum.

I'm not denying the article, Davis may well be going broke. But by doing minimal research there are already holes appearing in his story.

I'll reserve my judgement until more facts come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I'd be very careful about believing what Beasley has been reporting. For one, he stated he would not name the player in question. Yet Will Davis a couple of days ago Tweeted:

Will Davis ‏@WillieD_effect 2 Nov
    I just seen a dinner bill for $30,000... WOW #RookieNight

So he's hardly too worried about his confidentiality when Davis tweeted it 2 days ago.

Also Will Davis was a third round pick,thus his contract is more than league minimum. With signing bonus, he stands to earn $535,000 this year, $625,000 in 2014, $715,000 in 2015 and $805,000 in 2016. So he is earning a good deal more than the $400,000 rookie minimum.

I'm not denying the article, Davis may well be going broke. But by doing minimal research there are already holes appearing in his story.

I'll reserve my judgement until more facts come out.

He didn't say it was Davis

He didn't say it was Davis

i know but it looks very likely it is him hevis referring to based on what i put up in my last post.

Will Davis confirms bill was split. In any event if Martins situation brings to an end excessive rookie hazing, then some good will come from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

At least there's been something done about it all:
    Richie Incognito was advised by Joe Philbin tonight he has been indefinitely suspended by team while NFL investigates, Incognito tells me.
    Jay Glazer wrote:
    Just spoke w Richie incognito who told me he had in fact been suspended indefinitely by team. Unsure when he can return
    Dolphins G Richie Incognito told @JeffDarlington he has been suspended indefinitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

These pr*cks should be kicked out of the nfl or at least a long suspension and large fine a message needs to be sent out that this sort of carry on cant be tollerated,but on the other hand do these rookies have any balls or backbone at all to tell these arseholes to go **** themselves they are all bigboys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement