Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

shamrock55 wrote: »
    These pr*cks should be kicked out of the nfl or at least a long suspension and large fine a message needs to be sent out that this sort of carry on cant be tollerated,but on the other hand do these rookies have any balls or backbone at all to tell these arseholes to go **** themselves they are all bigboys

Think its too easy to say rookies should be standing up for themselves in this situation. I mean, your talking about 22/23 year old's going into a pro dressing room for the first time, full of men that have big reputations and they may even revere or idolize.

For someone that was drafted in the low rounds or went undrafted, they will do whatever it takes just to survive on the roster. You can't expect these guys to stand-up to hazing, as it will undoubtedly piss off veterans and the last thing you want as a rookie is the senior players against you. It would certainly affect their chances of making the roster.

For the rookies who do make the roster, then the next year they will feel that the next bunch of rookies who come have to go through what they did. So its a culture in the NFL that has to be addressed from the ground up.

Fair play to Dez Bryant for standing up to it. But he had a much more favorable situation in which to do so, as he was a 1st round pick, with a big reputation coming out of college. It's not so easy for the guy who went undrafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

TaosHum wrote: »
    Think its too easy to say rookies should be standing up for themselves in this situation. I mean, your talking about 22/23 year old's going into a pro dressing room for the first time, full of men that have big reputations and they may even revere or idolize.

For someone that was drafted in the low rounds or went undrafted, they will do whatever it takes just to survive on the roster. You can't expect these guys to stand-up to hazing, as it will undoubtedly piss off veterans and the last thing you want as a rookie is the senior players against you. It would certainly affect their chances of making the roster.

For the rookies who do make the roster, then the next year they will feel that the next bunch of rookies who come have to go through what they did. So its a culture in the NFL that has to be addressed from the ground up.

Fair play to Dez Bryant for standing up to it. But he had a much more favorable situation in which to do so, as he was a 1st round pick, with a big reputation coming out of college. It's not so easy for the guy who went undrafted.

yea it does need to be sorted from the ground up alright, it must be very hard on the lads just coming in but a few pranks and a bit of ,messing is no harm, its when it turns into full time bullying thats not on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

its crazy with the amount of money they earn youd think they could be professional. youd never get away with that in pretty much any other job.

it also speaks to the lack of ambition in the dolphins locker room if the vets really wanted to be in superbowl contention they would be getting behind the young players and spurring them on particularly a talented young player like martin.

i dont know if incognito was the ringleader or if its just his reputation catching up with him but if he is he should be cut or fined by the club immediately i dont have an issue with most of his "dirty play" its part of being a lineman but this is bang out of order

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

I don't think it was done this year in San Diego. I didn't hear of anything. If it was it was carrying stuff and probably the usual dinner.

I never understood it and I totally agreed with Bryant at the time. When your on the roster imo everyone should be equal

What do folk think about brandon merriweathers claim to lay off giving lads concussion by headbutting the daylights out of them, by replacing it with going for the knees aiming to tear the acl(he actually said this):eek: he tried it too last night by targeting sd rb danny woodhead who thankfully came out ok
    surley the nfl cant let him away with these statements

• Advertisement

What do folk think about brandon merriweathers claim to lay off giving lads concussion by headbutting the daylights out of them, by replacing it with going for the knees aiming to tear the acl(he actually said this):eek: he tried it too last night by targeting sd rb danny woodhead who thankfully came out ok

a lot of defenders are saying this though not about targeting the knee but saying they have no choice as its that or get fined

merriweathers just phrased it like that because hes a dick but hes bringing the same basic point across

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

He's just looking for attention, and being so vocal about intentionally going for knees will probably lead to the NFL banning low tackles.

I just don't agree with his opinion on the matter......there are dozens of DBs in the league that are very capable of making tackles without lunging at guys heads or cutting their legs from under them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

That's just Meriweather being a dick.. again. To be honest, any player that says in the press that they're deliberately going to out to injure a player by 'tearing their ACL' should get a ban.

The sooner idiots like him retire the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

You are a ****ing pro. Your livelyhood depends on your ability to play. And this prat tries to destroy people. I'd love to see him try it to the like of jj watt( i know it'd never happen)

From the shoulders down to the knees make up about 75% of the body........yet Merriweather seems to think that he will never be able to hit that area.....hitting the head or below the knees just seems to me to be more difficult than the torso.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

From the shoulders down to the knees make up about 75% of the body........yet Merriweather seems to think that he will never be able to hit that area.....hitting the head or below the knees just seems to me to be more difficult than the torso.

Its amazing the Redskins don't call him out on his bull****, considering the state on RGIIIs knee.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Its amazing the Redskins don't call him out on his bull****, considering the state on RGIIIs knee.

Very true, also as someone has said he is missing out on 75% of the body surley timing a tackle on the helmet or legs is much harder then the main torso
    some guys just need contraversy:rolleyes:

ya but defenders are complaining about attackers lowering there helmets that reduces the area big time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Some of the allegations he made against Martin were pretty slanderous if they prove to be false. Called Martin "...a drug addict and a player that tried to kill himself three times".

Your right, it says everything you need to know about Incognito. Apparently there is evidence (voicemails/texts) proving Incognito bullied and harassed Martin. Incognito picked the wrong person to torment though, as both of Martin's parents are Harved graduated lawyers.

He will get his due and rightfully so.

Transcript of voicemail from Incognito to Martin has been obtained and just published on ESPN.com

I'm not going to post the actual transcript here.....even blanked out the language is pretty vulger.........those interested can read the article here

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Matt Flynn has been released by the bills as EJ Manuel has been cleared to return it practice for the bills. So much money and so fee games played. Nice work if you can get it but I take it he would prefer to be playing.

Transcript of voicemail from Incognito to Martin has been obtained and just published on ESPN.com

I'm not going to post the actual transcript here.....even blanked out the language is pretty vulger.........those interested can read the article here

Wow. He sounds like a nice guy. He'll be lucky if he ever plays in the league again.

Pretty sure Flynn won't play another down of football/ is done in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Arawn wrote: »
    Pretty sure Flynn won't play another down of football/ is done in the league
    Wouldn't be too sure about that, players always get injuried and he hasn't done too much wrong!

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be too sure about that, players always get injuried and he hasn't done too much wrong!

hasn't done much to do much wrong!! Tim Tebow must be so pissed ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Incognito is an utterly deplorable excuse for a human being. He should never be allowed near the nfl again. I'm sickened by this. Who needs enemies when you have teammates like this scummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Pretty horrible stuff, nobody deserves that kind of abuse.
    what a Scum bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Incognito has been doing analyst work for NFL Network. They use current players for a slot. David Diehl from the Giants does it also and is pretty good.

Incognito probably aiming to line up a lucrative media job after retirement, who touch him now

If that's how he talks to teammates.....it suddenly makes sense why there's been so many players take a swing at him after plays.......he may not always throw the first punch, but talk like this would incite even the coolest heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

What an absolute scumbag. I would be nauseated if he said that to an opponent, but to say it to a teammate -- the guy who lines up next to you in the trenches. He's let down every Dolphins fan and staff. Philbin should have no hesitation in releasing him.

If that's the kind of unity (or lack of) in the locker room, no wonder they are underperforming.

John Fox is out of surgery.
    Denver Broncos ‏@DenverBroncos 2m
    "...He is currently in the hospital’s post-operative critical care unit, where his recovery is being monitored by doctors."

Mike McCoy at his press conference now. Stated hazing is not allowed in San Diego. Hopefully that's league wide next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Mike McCoy at his press conference now. Stated hazing is not allowed in San Diego. Hopefully that's league wide next year.

The only thing I would say is that it is important to distinguish between rookie hazing & what Incognito got up to.

These are groups of young men so a few harmless pranks would not be an issue for me & can probably help in team building assuming it doesn't get out of control.

• Advertisement

McCoy stated that it is hard enough for the rookies to come in without the fear of what pranks will come their way.

Only hazing I agree with is the dinner with the same positional players to get to know each other.
    Shaving their heads and stuff like that is ridiculous imo.

The Incognito case is of course way over board.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement