Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Cheeky from Romo.... https://vine.co/v/hjp7KU5H5n6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Rochey18 wrote: »
    McCoy stated that it is hard enough for the rookies to come in without the fear of what pranks will come their way.

Only hazing I agree with is the dinner with the same positional players to get to know each other.
    Shaving their heads and stuff like that is ridiculous imo.

The Incognito case is of course way over board.

Maybe your right & if I was a rookie I might feel different but I think things like having to carry practise gear, bring in doughnuts for the team, head shaving is pretty harmless

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

kmart6 wrote: »

Funny, would love to see Jared Allen freak out after it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Maybe your right & if I was a rookie I might feel different but I think things like having to carry practise gear, bring in doughnuts for the team, head shaving is pretty harmless

Same, carrying gear, not bothered, head shaving grand, bring doughnuts, no problem, not the **** incognito did

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

kmart6 wrote: »

That is brilliant :pac:

• Advertisement

genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It just gets better...
    In CIN-MIAMI program, Incognito named Martin as "easiest teammate 2 scare"

BYQZs3UCUAEWaB6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

lol at the timeline in that Incognito article on ESPN. Seems like a great guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

HigginsJ wrote: »

I don't know guys. I think it's a bit more cynical and imperious than meets the eye. The whole carrying the pads, shaving head etc. is harmless but there is a completely different context in the NFL. The fact is that most of the guys doing the 'hazing' are guys who aren't looking to help the rookie along and perhaps even inhibit the rookies development. The NFL is a short-term career. If you're a tackle and your team drafts a rookie tackle, essentially you're competing with that guy. You know well that if this rookie starts performing then you're at risk of losing your place and your at risk of losing out financially as the team are always going to pick the cheaper and better option. So you'd have to consider that it's not in your personal interests that this guy plays well and fits seamlessly into the system.

I've no problem with pranks or anything like that because it's a nice way to bond with your fellow players and develop a friendship with them. However, there is a constant underlying factor at play here and I think some are being naive when they think that most of the rookie hazing is simply just part and parcel of the NFL and has to be accepted. I don't know how demeaning a kid trying to make his way on the team is going to be helpful in any circumstance. Now I know there are some elder statesmen in the NFL who will help rookies and be diplomatic and go out of their way to offer advice but I think when it comes down to it most NFL players are looking out for themselves. The team is quite a distant second. You can be cut at any time and ultimately the players want to get as much money as they can while they are physically able to.

It's time for rookie hazing to stop IMO. It achieves nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

cant wait to see how incognito gets on in the real world hopefully gms will be slow to touch him now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

To be honest I hope he gets help and comes back from this. I abhor bullying of this sort and every year when hard knocks comes out I find it all a bit off putting (of course the Dolphins were on this show last year) but I hate seeing a talented guy lose his job like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

matthew8 wrote: »
    To be honest I hope he gets help and comes back from this. I abhor bullying of this sort and every year when hard knocks comes out I find it all a bit off putting (of course the Dolphins were on this show last year) but I hate seeing a talented guy lose his job like this.

hes gotten his chances to come back i want him gone you cant be a dick just because your talented

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Hazing is stupid childish ****e with a sinister undertone and needs rid of. I despise hazing, it may have some benefit in team building and a bit of craic but there are genuine team building activities that would do the same. Hazing at best though makes it more difficult for people to adapt and at worst is dangerous and amounts to bullying. In fairness, these are recent graduates who are in a professional environment for the first time and are being subject to humilation and poor treatment simply because "ahh sure it's a bit of craic and its the way it's always been". Who here would have liked to get treated like a child, left stuck paying large restaurant bills and be basically humiliated by their seniors in their first major job out of college? I'm only moving on to the next step from a college degree as it is and the idea of being hazed at a job i was looking to do long term would make me very uncomfortable.

It's the sort of bollocks acting you see in fratboy culture in america, a lot of which is the ultimate level of ****wittery. A guy died from hazing in a frat some years back i believe, he was made drink water by the litre while standing on his stool and died from water intoxication. People shouldnt be just let do that sort of ****e simply because "that's the way it is".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

About 3 or four years ago, I posted a quote from Peyton at Indy, where he said something to the effect of "we don't haze rookies. We expect them to be adults on the field, so we treat them like adults".

I got lambasted. I agree completely with that sentiment. There is no "warm-up" time in the NFL. You have 53 roster spots, and if you get one you are a cog in that teams success. Having disparity between players does nothing to build unity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

matthew8 wrote: »

He has received help (anger management etc.) on a number of occasions over a period of a decade at this stage. If he hasn't learned his lesson, which he hasn't, then he never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Just watched the highlights on eurosport, can someone explain to me miamis winning score was it because they sacked the qb in the endzone?? Ive never seen a play like that before, also the buccs kicker:eek: id say he wont see another game for a while poor backstard:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Spotted at Lambeau

BYR-uY4CIAAfC9T.jpg

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Just watched the highlights on eurosport, can someone explain to me miamis winning score was it because they sacked the qb in the endzone?? Ive never seen a play like that before, also the buccs kicker:eek: id say he wont see another game for a while poor backstard:D

Yeah if the QB/RB/WR (?) goes down in their own endzone with the ball it's a safety worth 2 points to the team that tackled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Matt flynn might find himself back on the field soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Re: Richie Incognito/Jon Martin

The MNF guys did make a very good point last night.....there is just as much responsibility on the veterans as there is on the coach. Yes, as extreme as this case was, it's unlikely that Philbin didn't know about it.....but there is no way that the veterans in the locker room didn't know.....they were the ones that should have stepped up and either dealt with it themselves, or made sure Philbin knew about it.

They had Bill Polian on (former Colts GM) and he was clear that if something like that was happening in the Colts locker-room, guys like Reggie Wayne, Peyton Manning and Jeff Saturday would have very quickly ended it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Re: Richie Incognito/Jon Martin

The MNF guys did make a very good point last night.....there is just as much responsibility on the veterans as there is on the coach. Yes, as extreme as this case was, it's unlikely that Philbin didn't know about it.....but there is no way that the veterans in the locker room didn't know.....they were the ones that should have stepped up and either dealt with it themselves, or made sure Philbin knew about it.

They had Bill Polian on (former Colts GM) and he was clear that if something like that was happening in the Colts locker-room, guys like Reggie Wayne, Peyton Manning and Jeff Saturday would have very quickly ended it.

thing is, the Dolphins are where they are because they dont have the likes of those guys on their team. Same with the teams who are consistently at the top, the Colts, Pats, Steelers, etc, they all have leaders in the dressing room who are top quality players and ideal people to have in the dressing room.

They dont come around easily though, but there is a culture in all these sides that is lead from the top down too, which is more of what Polian is trying to say IMO. They also draft these types of players as they know what they will be like. other teams are happy to take good players who dont have good rep or wouldnt be good leaders, and more often than not, whilst they might play well as individuals, they dont improve the team.

bruschi wrote: »
    thing is, the Dolphins are where they are because they dont have the likes of those guys on their team. Same with the teams who are consistently at the top, the Colts, Pats, Steelers, etc, they all have leaders in the dressing room who are top quality players and ideal people to have in the dressing room.

They dont come around easily though, but there is a culture in all these sides that is lead from the top down too, which is more of what Polian is trying to say IMO. They also draft these types of players as they know what they will be like. other teams are happy to take good players who dont have good rep or wouldnt be good leaders, and more often than not, whilst they might play well as individuals, they dont improve the team.

That's a good point......I just checked over their roster and the only have 7 players in their 30s.....and of those Cameron Wake and John Denney are the only 2 that have been with the team more that a couple of season.

Granted, that does bode well for the future of the team (once this mess is cleared up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

With Rodgers out for three weeks what odds that Matt Flynn picks up yet another payday from a new team? :cool:

Cut by the Bills last week

mikemac1 wrote: »
    With Rodgers out for three weeks what odds that Matt Flynn picks up yet another payday from a new team? :cool:

Cut by the Bills last week

hmmm i wouldn't be so sure tbh.

I think it helped bears last night that their back up has 2 weeks to prepare while our guy had **** all.

tbh I think we'll see vince young before we see flynn

Arawn wrote: »
    hmmm i wouldn't be so sure tbh.

I think it helped bears last night that their back up has 2 weeks to prepare while our guy had **** all.

tbh I think we'll see vince young before we see flynn

I've heard rumours that they're working out a previously unknown QB by the name of Brettier Le Favre....he's good friends with Leon Sandcastle

I've heard rumours that they're working out a previously unknown QB by the name of Brettier Le Favre....he's good friends with Leon Sandcastle

if it was possible to thank a post more than once I would

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Arawn wrote: »

True he had 2 weeks for this game but mcCown showed in the redskins game that he is closer to a NFL starter than Wallace, came off the bench in a similar situation and led the offense well.

Wallace pretty much handed the ball to Lacy (who is an absolute steal as a 2nd round draft) once the bears stacked the box against him Wallace failed to pick the holes that should have been there for him. As a bears fan I'm thrilled with the result - but to say I'm shocked at how poor the packers backup QB seems to be with how good Greenbay normally are in relation to developing players

True he had 2 weeks for this game but mcCown showed in the redskins game that he is closer to a NFL starter than Wallace, came off the bench in a similar situation and led the offense well.

Wallace pretty much handed the ball to Lacy (who is an absolute steal as a 2nd round draft) once the bears stacked the box against him Wallace failed to pick the holes that should have been there for him. As a bears fan I'm thrilled with the result - but to say I'm shocked at how poor the packers backup QB seems to be with how good Greenbay normally are in relation to developing players

Yes but remember that Wallace didn't even get preseason with the Packers.....I know it's halfway through the season, but without a preseason, a backup QB doesn't get to run any plays with the starters, he would have been throwing to 4th and 5th string guys in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Yes but remember that Wallace didn't even get preseason with the Packers.....I know it's halfway through the season, but without a preseason, a backup QB doesn't get to run any plays with the starters, he would have been throwing to 4th and 5th string guys in practice.

True - but again that is the Packers decision/fault, It is poor planning to have your backup QB not in a position to play @ week 9.... It is a league riddled with injuries - look at both bears & packers alone their combined injury list would make up the backbone of quite a team (especially a defence).

Melton
    Collins
    Paea (for a while)
    Tillman (for a while)
    Williams
    Briggs
    Perry
    Mathews
    Cutler
    Rogers
    Jones
    Finley
    Cobb

There are probably plenty of others - these are off the top of my head. My main point is yes Wallace did not have a preseason but it is up to the Packers to ensure they are in the best possible position to cover any injury. To be honest I don't think anyone could replace Rogers but I thought the packers would better placed...

• Advertisement

True - but again that is the Packers decision/fault, It is poor planning to have your backup QB not in a position to play @ week 9.... It is a league riddled with injuries - look at both bears & packers alone their combined injury list would make up the backbone of quite a team (especially a defence).

Melton
    Collins
    Paea (for a while)
    Tillman (for a while)
    Williams
    Briggs
    Perry
    Mathews
    Cutler
    Rogers
    Jones
    Finley
    Cobb

There are probably plenty of others - these are off the top of my head. My main point is yes Wallace did not have a preseason but it is up to the Packers to ensure they are in the best possible position to cover any injury. To be honest I don't think anyone could replace Rogers but I thought the packers would better placed...

I remember reading at the start of the season during the time we were cutting back ups and trying out ones, and some reporter basically said god help the packers if AR goes down as they down't have a serviceable back up. He was right.

Some of his throws last night were scary bad, like the should of been intercepted throw to jones who then fumbled the ball and recovered. It looked like a 13yr old girl threw it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement