Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Arawn wrote: »
    I remember reading at the start of the season during the time we were cutting back ups and trying out ones, and some reporter basically said god help the packers if AR goes down as they down't have a serviceable back up. He was right.

Some of his throws last night were scary bad, like the should of been intercepted throw to jones who then fumbled the ball and recovered. It looked like a 13yr old girl threw it

You can thank Anderson for not intercepting that. Major Wright and conte made life very hard for the rest of our D last night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

You can thank Anderson for not intercepting that. Major Wright and conte made life very hard for the rest of our D last night too.

It was terrible. It should of been a pick 6. In a way we were lucky to not be beaten by more, our D were very soft last night.

Still no word on the true extent of the injury which has me a bit worried

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Thou Shalt Not Doubt Ditka

1461020_10152087086569623_1543288310_n.jpg

Ar has confirmed it is a broken collar bone. he says he hopes he'll be a quick healer but tbh he's getting to that age where injuries start taking a bit longer to heal so not too sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Arawn wrote: »
    Ar has confirmed it is a broken collar bone. he says he hopes he'll be a quick healer but tbh he's getting to that age where injuries start taking a bit longer to heal so not too sure

Pain in the ass injury, anyone I've ever seen get it has been out for about six weeks. Pro athlete with the best of care can't change his bone structure so you're still looking at early to mid December depending on the break.

Pain in the ass injury, anyone I've ever seen get it has been out for about six weeks. Pro athlete with the best of care can't change his bone structure so you're still looking at early to mid December depending on the break.
    tbh i dont expect him back before week 16, anything else is a bonus

This is really old but this video of Moss at Patriots cracks me up every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

What makes it cooler is that the person behind the mask was a 9 year old kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Its really interesting listening to players views on the Incognito/Martin issue.

A lot of them (Jared Allen, Antrelle Rolle, Ricky Williams, Shawn Merriman), have basically said that Martin brought it on himself by letting himself get bullied! The consensus seems to be that he should have stopped it by telling a coach/veteran, or done something else to get himself out of the situation.

Eric Davis was saying on the NFL network that he let himself get bullied, and that NFL coaches often tell older players to put younger players through the ringer to try and toughen them up for Sundays. He mentioned a few times that Martin is a man and not a child and so the word bullying shouldn't be used, because Martin could have got himself out of the situation.

Merriman said that it should have been dealt with in house, and that a lot of NFL teams will stay away from Martin because he went to his Parents about it instead of going to the coach, and that breaks trust.

Where they had the problem was with the Racial Slurs, but the paying for stuff and the slagging etc. was all acceptable to Davis and Merriman.

Very interesting insight, pretty scary really to think that this is accepted behaviour in todays society!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Rolle isn't exactly the brightest spark. He often says stupid things but reading another forum I frequent there are people blaiming Martin for not standing up for himself. Seems kinda crazy tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Red Crow wrote: »
    Rolle isn't exactly the brightest spark. He often says stupid things but reading another forum I frequent there are people blaiming Martin for not standing up for himself. Seems kinda crazy tbh

Justin Pugh had to pay for o-line dinner on their 1st trip out & its rotated since. If you remember the Prince/JPP situation last year where he threw him in an ice bath, Prince has came out this week & said it was messing not bullying.(even if it was a bit uncomfortable to watch)

Rex "arranged"a fight to toughen Vernon Gholston on Hard Knocks but as this was on field I could see the motivation behind it.

These types of incidents are not what Incignito did. He harrassed/bullied Martin. From what has come out there was no toughening up motivation or trying to get him involved in the team. It was one guy being a dick & yet Martin is catching alot of flack :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

This is how bullying works, because it's so insidious. "We were just kidding around." "He needs to stick up for himself." "He's just mentally weak."

It's disgusting.

Martin was singled out and driven to despair and there are very, very few people who wouldn't have snapped. Not Jared Allen, or Shawn Merriman, or Richie incognito. These people don't stand up against it because they're just thankful it wasn't them.

And guys like Jared Allen and Shawn Merriman, are the very fcukers making Rookies (who earn a fraction of what they make) pay for their dinners and vacations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

If you think the Incognito/Martin situation is bad already, it could get much, much worse if this source is factual.
    Sources: Dolphins coaches asked Incognito to toughen up Martin

Miami Dolphins coaches asked player Richie Incognito, who was the offensive line's undisputed leader, to toughen up teammate Jonathan Martin after he missed a voluntary workout last spring, multiple sources told the Sun Sentinel.

The sources told the paper they believe that Incognito, who is accused of using racially incendiary language and bullying tactics against Martin, may have taken those orders too far.

It's not clear whether those marching orders will now become part of a pending investigation by the NFL into the Dolphins' locker room culture, and the alleged bullying that took place between Incognito and Martin.

http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/1204/article/p2p-78065907/

Philbin could be out of a job very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

To be honest, that doesn't sound like Philbin on what I've seen of him. He's the kind of guy that would call a player in one-on-one and say 'listen you need to up your game, get stronger because it's not good enough'. Not the kind to go behind his back and say to players to 'toughen him up'.

To be honest, that doesn't sound like Philbin on what I've seen of him. He's the kind of guy that would call a player in one-on-one and say 'listen you need to up your game, get stronger because it's not good enough'. Not the kind to go behind his back and say to players to 'toughen him up'.

Mike Sherman??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

This is really old but this video of Moss at Patriots cracks me up every time

Never saw that vid before, great find :D.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Mike Sherman??

More of a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Gotta love Brian Orakpo.

He was interviewed on NFL Network and said he wished Incognito had tried it with him and he would have busted him in the mouth!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Surprised that Martin didnt do that tbh, he's taller and pretty much the same weight as Icognito

• Advertisement

Some weird vibes coming out of Miami courtesy of Tannehill. He reckons that Incognito and Martin were good buddies and that Incognito was always the first to be at his side. "Richie said Jonathan was like my little brother."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Some weird vibes coming out of Miami courtesy of Tannehill. He reckons that Incognito and Martin were good buddies and that Incognito was always the first to be at his side. "Richie said Jonathan was like my little brother."

"Nothing shocks people like getting stabbed in the back by the person people see by your side"

Copyright Heli 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

What's nuts is that the voice message is from way back last April.

This whole thing is crazy, in all honesty.

Just saw this posted by one of the PFF guys on Twitter. Johnson pulls off a great move to get free.. and then Tuel does the rest.

http://twitpic.com/dk9q1s

Edit: can't seem to post it up properly..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Its really interesting listening to players views on the Incognito/Martin issue.

A lot of them (Jared Allen, Antrelle Rolle, Ricky Williams, Shawn Merriman), have basically said that Martin brought it on himself by letting himself get bullied! The consensus seems to be that he should have stopped it by telling a coach/veteran, or done something else to get himself out of the situation.

Eric Davis was saying on the NFL network that he let himself get bullied, and that NFL coaches often tell older players to put younger players through the ringer to try and toughen them up for Sundays. He mentioned a few times that Martin is a man and not a child and so the word bullying shouldn't be used, because Martin could have got himself out of the situation.

Merriman said that it should have been dealt with in house, and that a lot of NFL teams will stay away from Martin because he went to his Parents about it instead of going to the coach, and that breaks trust.

Where they had the problem was with the Racial Slurs, but the paying for stuff and the slagging etc. was all acceptable to Davis and Merriman.

Very interesting insight, pretty scary really to think that this is accepted behaviour in todays society!

The caveman attitude of veteran players, coaches and owners doesn't help things at all. The thing is it will never get better as long as these idiots living in the dark ages are running the show.

NFL must be the only sport where this hazing rubbish goes on to such an extent. I know in soccer a new player or young recruit is usually made to sing a song in front of a crowd at dinner. Some examples of NBA rookie hazing last year were having to carry Hello Kitty or Justin Bieber backpacks or wearing pink, decorated pajamas getting out of the stadium after a road game, that's fun IMO, but there's usually nothing more sinister than things like that.

Why NFL teams don't want to incorporate the rookies in straight away to create a proper team environment and spirit is beyond me. As I said before, Dez Bryant had it spot on when he told the veterans to **** off when they started with their hazing.

Pay for a meal once, fine. Sing a song in front of the team, fine. Funny things like backpacks and clothing, fine. But it seems to have gone too far and why teams allow it is surprising as a player will generally perform better when they feel confident and part of the group.

"Nothing shocks people like getting stabbed in the back by the person people see by your side"

Copyright Heli 2013

:eek: deep!!!

Poor refereeing calls are part of life but this "safety" called against Tyler Tettleton for intentional grounding takes the biscuit

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/11/5/5071536/ohio-called-for-wildly-incorrect-intentional-grounding-safety

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Poor refereeing calls are part of life but this "safety" called against Tyler Tettleton for intentional grounding takes the biscuit

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/11/5/5071536/ohio-called-for-wildly-incorrect-intentional-grounding-safety

Makes sense....this is where they recruited the refs to cover during the lockout last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Just saw this posted by one of the PFF guys on Twitter. Johnson pulls off a great move to get free.. and then Tuel does the rest.

http://twitpic.com/dk9q1s

Edit: can't seem to post it up properly..
    You need to copy the image location into the tags, .i.e.http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/820106272.gif?1383777495 surrounded by [IMG][/IMG] will get you the below....

820106272.gif?1383777495

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

how do ye think manziel will perform in the nfl lads i know people are comparing him to tebow due to the hype but i think hes a far better player

is he 1st/2nd/late round quality?

is he destined to be drafted to high and be regarded as a bust?

will he get to caught up in the media surrounding himself and lose his hunger for football?

primarily will he be a starting quality qb in the nfl?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement