Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

nerd69 wrote: »
    how do ye think manziel will perform in the nfl lads i know people are comparing him to tebow due to the hype but i think hes a far better player

is he 1st/2nd/late round quality?

is he destined to be drafted to high and be regarded as a bust?

will he get to caught up in the media surrounding himself and lose his hunger for football?

primarily will he be a starting quality qb in the nfl?

Different kettle of fish to Tebow. Manziel is a very good passer. Not a cannon arm but plenty good enough.

I would reckon he would probably be a 1st round pick (top 10 maybe depending on who else comes out)

The media & bright lights side of things would be one concern with Manziel ok. Hard to predict that though.

His strengths are obvious to everyone. His weaknesses are height (listed at 6ft1 by A&M so we can assume he is about 5ft11) His scrambling ability is wonderful but much like RGIII he will have to learn to beat teams from the pocket once they take that away from him.

He is a superb college player but he has a very high bust potential for me given his playing style & his seeming love of the off-field

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

how do ye think manziel will perform in the nfl lads i know people are comparing him to tebow due to the hype but i think hes a far better player

is he 1st/2nd/late round quality?

is he destined to be drafted to high and be regarded as a bust?

will he get to caught up in the media surrounding himself and lose his hunger for football?

primarily will he be a starting quality qb in the nfl?

To me Manziel is more like Vick than Tebow without as strong an arm as Vick! They're will be plenty of running around and great exciting plays but you're probably gonna get some awful stuff thrown in too! Not that Manziel has had awful plays in the college game but from what I've seen he doesn't seem to know when to give up on a play and just throw the ball away!

When you look at some of the QB's that have started this year, the yes he definitely will get starts!

There's probably a few QB's ahead of him in this years draft (I.e "pro ready") but referencing my above point there are a lot of teams that need a QB! I would love to see him (ironically enough) play for Chip Kelly in the eagles offence as I think that would be very exciting!!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    To me Manziel is more like Vick than Tebow without as strong an arm as Vick! They're will be plenty of running around and great exciting plays but you're probably gonna get some awful stuff thrown in too! Not that Manziel has had awful plays in the college game but from what I've seen he doesn't seem to know when to give up on a play and just throw the ball away!

When you look at some of the QB's that have started this year, the yes he definitely will get starts!

There's probably a few QB's ahead of him in this years draft (I.e "pro ready") but referencing my above point there are a lot of teams that need a QB! I would love to see him (ironically enough) play for Chip Kelly in the eagles offence as I think that would be very exciting!!

The Vick comparison is pretty apt but if he worked out I kinda see similarities to Big Ben in his game in that he can keep plays alive behind the line if scrimmage.

Yea he would suit Chip Kelly ok but much like RGIII & the Skins whoever drafts him will build in plenty of zone read elements, 1 read passes.

I think Vikings or Texans would be a good landing spot for him

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

i wouldnt compare him to vick more like a modern fran tarkenton or a small big ben he dosent have that insane speed/agility vick had

i wouldnt compare him to vick more like a modern fran tarkenton or a small big ben he dosent have that insane speed/agility vick had

Manziel will run a 4.4/4.5 40. He is properly quick. Fran Tarkenton is good shout but not having Manziel's speed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think you'd be crazy to take Manziel before the 3rd round. He need huge work on his pocket play.

I think you'd be crazy to take Manziel before the 3rd round. He need huge work on his pocket play.

i'd say top half of 2nd round but he will almost certainly go in the 1st with Bridgewater, Boyd & Mariota (i think Hundley stays in college)

HigginsJ wrote: »
    i'd say top half of 2nd round but he will almost certainly go in the 1st with Bridgewater, Boyd & Mariota (i think Hundley stays in college)

I'll be pretty surprised if he goes in the first. From a talent/potential point of view he's definitely not worth a first rounder. But then again neither was Tebow. Teams make bad decisions in the first round ever year, Manziel would simply be another one.

I'll be pretty surprised if he goes in the first. From a talent/potential point of view he's definitely not worth a first rounder. But then again neither was Tebow. Teams make bad decisions in the first round ever year, Manziel would simply be another one.

Its this absolute rabid hunger for teams to find that franchise QB. Manuel, Ponder, Weedon, Gabbert all went it the 1st, so will Manziel (possibly to one of the teams who drafted one of the above, which backs up your stupid decisions point)

Manziel will run a 4.4/4.5 40. He is properly quick. Fran Tarkenton is good shout but not having Manziel's speed

wow didnt realise he was that quick still vick ran i think a 4.3 and he was far more agile

i think manziel is far better than tebow but nobody thought tebow would go in the first i think manziel is a low 1st high 2nd personally but im convinced someone will take him earlier

i also have a feeling mariota may stay in college another year so he would be no 2 on a lot of peoples boards

so if mariota comes out i think manziel will go top 10
    if mariota stays i think manziel will go top 5

• Advertisement

Its this absolute rabid hunger for teams to find that franchise QB. Manuel, Ponder, Weedon, Gabbert all went it the 1st, so will Manziel (possibly to one of the teams who drafted one of the above, which backs up your stupid decisions point)

I do think NFL organisations are starting to be better run though. I think their is less need to go all in on a QB early. There will still be one or two teams but I don't think there will be four or five who take a QB. Supposedly this class is quite deep as well. Even Manual only went in the middle of the first. I think teams are less inclined to take a big risk on top 5-10 picks on average QB's. Manziel at the end of the first wouldn't be a huge surprise, picking him top 5 is pure crazy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Its really interesting listening to players views on the Incognito/Martin issue.

A lot of them (Jared Allen, Antrelle Rolle, Ricky Williams, Shawn Merriman), have basically said that Martin brought it on himself by letting himself get bullied! The consensus seems to be that he should have stopped it by telling a coach/veteran, or done something else to get himself out of the situation.

Eric Davis was saying on the NFL network that he let himself get bullied, and that NFL coaches often tell older players to put younger players through the ringer to try and toughen them up for Sundays. He mentioned a few times that Martin is a man and not a child and so the word bullying shouldn't be used, because Martin could have got himself out of the situation.

Merriman said that it should have been dealt with in house, and that a lot of NFL teams will stay away from Martin because he went to his Parents about it instead of going to the coach, and that breaks trust.

Where they had the problem was with the Racial Slurs, but the paying for stuff and the slagging etc. was all acceptable to Davis and Merriman.

Very interesting insight, pretty scary really to think that this is accepted behaviour in todays society!

It's actually amazing the amount of vitriol being directed towards Martin for this.

Miami Players all blame Martin

They say he should have gone to coaches about it - like they would have done anything when they might have ordered it!

maby its just pr but nice to hear the dolphins case is not normal

"Here it's different," said left guard Evan Mathis, who also has played for Carolina, Miami and Cincinnati. "The most intense hazing we do of our rookies is to ask them to keep waters and Gatorades in our fridge in the offensive line room. Nothing crazy. When a rookie comes in here, especially someone who's the fourth pick in the draft like Lane, you don't want to beat 'em down, you want to make 'em feel comfortable, groom them, bring them along, make them feel like part of the group, so they can help contribute, not feel outcast."
    Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20131107_Eagles_rookie_tackle_Johnson_growing_on_the_job.html#9E9o0SSMuvtt9Xos.99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

dougal wrote: »
    It's actually amazing the amount of vitriol being directed towards Martin for this.

Miami Players all blame Martin

They say he should have gone to coaches about it - like they would have done anything when they might have ordered it!

It's not all that amazing though. The culture of an NFL locker room dictates that Martin is in the wrong here. He's seen to have gone behind everyones back by going to the media. For this reason I think Martin is probably done in the NFL too. Players will see him as weak and won't feel they can trust him.

Obviously that does NOT make what happened right but that is how players are going to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

As usual, the best take on all of this comes from Grantland.
    The Miami Dolphins and Everything That Will Never Make Sense
    By Andrew Sharp on November 6, 2013 2:25 PM ET

grant_g_dolphins_kh_640x360.jpg&w=640&h=360

The Miami Dolphins harassment story has mushroomed into the biggest story in sports over the past 72 hours, and it's officially one of those sports stories that attracts people who don't even watch sports. Everyone has an opinion on Jonathan Martin and Richie Incognito right now. And for me, the most interesting part has been listening to other athletes and former players process all this. So let's start there.

Antrel Rolle, Giants safety:
    Was Richie Incognito wrong? Absolutely. But I think the other guy is just as much to blame as Richie, because he allowed it to happen. At this level, you're a man. You're not a little boy. You're not a freshman in college. You're a man.

Rolle, clarifying on Twitter later:
    It's dead ass wrong. But in this world in general people will do what u allow them to do. I am very sympathetic for Martin and if he was my teammate that would have never took place. That I can assure.

London Fletcher, Redskins linebacker:
    What seemed like was going on there was beyond hazing, beyond your normal rookie-type deals. So I’m real disappointed in the leadership in the locker room down there in Miami. I know Jonathan Martin didn’t feel comfortable enough to go to any of the guys because either you’re encouraging it or you’re just turning a blind eye and allowing the guy to get treated like he was getting treated. And that’s the biggest thing that disappointed me the most about the situation is because there was not a veteran guy strong enough to stop what was happening to that young man.

Jeremy Shockey, former Giants, Saints, and Panthers tight end:
    The bullying thing is a very common thing in the NFL. It’s common for rookies to take the older players out to eat and to spend a lot of money. Once a week, usually a defensive rookie or an offensive rookie does it. … I’ve been to dinners where I’ve seen rookies spend $30,000. $30,000! … I can’t stress enough how much people should know that there’s a lot more than what you read in the newspaper. There’s probably more to this story than we know.

Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker, former Incognito and Martin teammate:
    Richie was a down-to-earth guy. I hate all this came out about him. It’s really attacking his character. I hope Martin doesn’t have any backlash from this from the rest of his teammates.

Darnell Dockett, Cardinals defensive lineman:
    [Incognito's] whole makeup is playing dirty and trying to hurt guys. Like I say, just Google it up. There are so many incidents where he’s trying to hurt guys and physically bully guys. I’m glad certain guys are standing up for themselves. I hope the guy from the Dolphins is able to get some help, rebound and continue his career.

Tony Siragusa, former Colts and Ravens defensive lineman:
    They talk about teams being a family. When you’re in the locker room, that’s like your home. … Things are handled in there and said in there that shouldn’t be brought out to the media. And plainly because the media, and really the real world, can't handle a lot of those things and things that happen in that locker room. … I think [Martin] should have confronted Incognito. I think he should have went up to him and said ‘What’s your problem?’ … Richie Incognito is 100 percent wrong. If a guy goes and says that to you, do you go and run? … Just be a man. I'm just tired of people going and running from their problems.

Ricky Williams, former Saints, Dolphins, and Ravens running back:
    The NFL isn't for everyone. … I see this kid, very intelligent kid, you know, his parents are attorneys, he went to Stanford and had these expectations about what the NFL would be, and if you look at his career, he really hasn't had as much success as he wanted to have, and things have been tough. And I'm sure things got out of hand with him and Richie, and now we are where we are. … The NFL, it's really like a closed fraternity. It's really not made for everyone. There are certain people that can play in the NFL, and certain people that can't. … I don't think the media, I don't think fans, I don't think anyone outside is really in a position to really fully understand what occurs inside of a locker room and inside of a football team.

Josh Brown, Giants kicker, former Incognito teammate:
    It's sad to see, because [Incognito] was a friend of mine and still is. I played with him in college and he had a lot of problems in college. I played with him in the Rams, and not severe issues there … but it seems like this seems to be something that has been haunting him for more than a decade. … This seems to be somebody who's really got some demons that are out of the building.

Mike Wallace, Dolphins wide receiver:
    I know both [Martin and Incognito] personally. I like both of them. I love Richie. I think he's a great guy. I don't think he was out of hand. I have a lot of respect for Richie. I wish he was here.

grant_g_incognito_b1_576x324.jpg

I was on the phone with my mom Tuesday night. And toward the end of our conversation she said, "I just heard about that guy who was bullying that other guy on the Miami Dolphins."

I was amazed she even knew who the Miami Dolphins were.

"Disgusting," she said. "I read about it in the New York Times today."

"The whole thing is just disgusting."

This seems to be the popular response from outsiders, and that's why I can't stop reading what other players think. Because Incognito definitely seems like a psychotic rage case, at least to anyone who saw the video of him going ape**** in that bar. And he definitely crossed the line harassing Martin — allegedly coercing him to pay $15,000 for a trip to Las Vegas (that he didn't go on), calling him a "half-n
    ", threatening to defecate in his mouth, and probably all sorts of other horrible things. It's all awful.

But then, among people close to the game, this isn't that simple. Some players are pragmatic about what went wrong (Fletcher), a lot of players think the victim should've handled this differently (Rolle, Siragusa), some are just happy that one of the dirtiest players in the league is getting his comeuppance (Dockett), and others feel like they need to defend Incognito (Wallace, Dansby). That's why the reactions from players have been so interesting. Everything that's black-and-white to outsiders seems pretty gray among actual football players.

The first impulse is to say they've been stuck in toxic locker rooms for too long and don't understand how sane humans behave, but that's a pretty condescending way to look at it.

Someone like Siragusa sometimes seems like a cartoon full of clichés, definitely. He's probably the closest thing we have to a real-life panelist from Sports Sesh. But even if guys like Wallace and Siragusa don't read the New York Times, that shouldn't invalidate their opinion or the experience it's based on. Especially since it is experience almost nobody else in this conversation has ever had.

I feel bad for Martin, and I'm pretty sure all players agree on this point. Nobody deserves to suffer, and it definitely sounds like he was suffering. It also sounds like he's a decent human being who wasn't necessarily prepared for the insanity he found in the NFL. As his high school coach told the Palm Beach Post this week, "Bullies usually go after people like him. With his background, he’s a perfect target. Before, he wasn’t around Nebraska, LSU kind of guys. He’s always been around Stanford, Duke, Rice kind of players."

The coach continues: "He always wanted to make everybody happy and make friends and not be a problem. All of his teachers loved him. All of his teammates loved him. His nickname was Moose and he was happy to have that."

And: "I can see where if somebody was bullying him he would take that to heart, and be concerned and think it was his fault."

This sucks. If being a good person who's sensitive and eager to please makes you a gigantic target in the NFL, that's pretty depressing. Martin apparently hit the breaking point last Monday after a practical joke in which teammates refused to sit with him at lunch. Reading his coach's description makes that scene even more depressing.

And it's impossible to disagree with guys like Fletcher and Rolle when they say teammates should've stepped in long before things got to this point with Incognito.

But I also feel bad for Incognito. Because he was too far gone to realize he was crossing the line, because, as Brown suggests, it seems like he has got some mental health issues of his own, and because, veterans aside, new reports say Dolphins coaches told Miami's only offensive Pro Bowler to toughen up Martin. (Note: Something tells me Incognito's not the type of guy who needs encouragement to try to toughen up teammates — actually asking him to play mind games is like pouring gasoline on a bonfire of testosterone and ****ty tribal tattoos.)

Now everything Incognito has done has been taken out of the context of a football team, and a whole bunch of people seem convinced he's a horrible, disgusting person. Except for people who've actually played with him.

Whatever you think of Incognito, the response from players makes the story more complicated than just some evil offensive lineman. Or at least murky enough to leave me with other questions. For example, is this whole thing a case of stupid macho culture run amok in pro sports? Absolutely. This is every MAN UP beer commercial taken to the most awful extreme.

But imagine how screwed up in the head you'd have to be to go out and play offensive line every week for a decade in the NFL. If guys convince themselves that it's time for them and their teammates to MAN UP every Sunday, and it works, then the macho culture for them — professional football players who play the sport that we just talk about — isn't necessarily as stupid and juvenile as it seems to everyone else.

If locker rooms are places where verbal and physical and sometimes financial harassment shocks no one, and that works for the majority of NFL players, is it really everyone else's responsibility to demand change? Probably yes, right? It's not like $50,000 dinners are really that important to bonding or whatever other cliché veterans use to justify that stuff.

But on some level, locker rooms will always be pretty removed from reality or any sane standards of decency, and we couldn’t change it if we tried.

This isn't always as bad as it seems. I bet plenty of other athletes exchange horrible insults like the ones Incognito said to Martin, only it bonds them instead of alienating them. It was different this time because Martin was in a position of weakness, Incognito never let up, and there was nobody else to tell him to stop.

But if you're looking for the other side of this, think about the offensive line from the 2001 Miami Hurricanes. "Vernon [Carey] calls me a cracker, then laughs his butt off," Miami's white Canadian center told The New York Times Magazine about his black teammate. "But it's never racism. I call him a monkey. In the locker room I pour baby powder down his back and call him a silverback like in the movie Congo. When he got calluses on his elbows, I said, 'Didn't they lay enough straw in your cage?'"

That group consisted of two black guys, a Hispanic tackle, a Canadian center, and a white guard, and they were all best friends, and together they were one of the most dominant offensive lines in college football history. How that worked is completely beyond me, but it gives us the same reminder we're getting from the Dolphins story this week — the daily life of elite athletes exists with codes and behaviors so alien to normal life, it's impossible to peer in and expect it to make sense.

Casual fans and people like my mom may recoil at the details from Miami, but the general absence of horror around the NFL hints at one the bigger lessons from all this. There's a disconnect between people who play professional sports and people who watch them, and that gulf is probably a lot wider than we realize. Even if a world full of all-access shows and instant information allows us to know more about athletes and locker rooms than ever before, we may never actually understand any of this.

The greatest and most adored athlete of the past 50 years was Michael Jordan, and he was also one of the biggest bullies we've ever seen in sports. You can probably find stories all over the place, but here are two. There was Steve Kerr on the radio a year ago, talking about an old Bulls practice. Jordan said something Kerr didn't like, Kerr snapped back at him, and Jordan just punched him in the face right there on the court.

As Kerr remembers it now: “It was one of the best things that ever happened for me, I needed to stand up and go back at him, I think I earned some respect. But we have a great relationship ever since … you gotta prove it and then once you prove it, you’re fine.”

This is where a bunch of athletes would nod and say, "That's what Martin should've done."

Then there was Jordan and Kwame Brown during a scrimmage in D.C., as it's recounted in Michael Leahy's book about Jordan's comeback in Washington:

Brown became maddeningly frustrated, a kid convinced he was being repeatedly fouled in intrasquad scrimmages by two veterans, Christian Laettner and Jahidi White, who weren't quick enough, Brown believed, to stay with him. He would drive toward the basket and feel himself being bumped by a hard hip, sometimes losing the ball, infuriated that the referees wouldn't blow a whistle. "That was a foul," he finally groaned.

Play stopped. There was an electric silence. A wide-eyed Jordan was walking toward him. "You ****ing flaming f----t," Jordan exploded. "You don't get a foul call on a little goddamn touch foul, you ****ing f----t. You don't bring that f----ty **** here. Get your goddamn ass back on the floor and play. I don't want to hear that **** out of you again. Get your ass back and play, you f----t."

A stupefied Brown could say nothing. He looked close to tears, thought a witness.
    "Sometimes I felt all alone out there, like I was surrounded by sharks," Brown remembered later. It sounds like that's how Martin felt on the Dolphins this year.

There could be a thousand reasons Brown became one of the biggest draft busts of all time, but I'll always be convinced it was Jordan's abuse that ruined him.

Bullying in regular life is horrible, and so is bullying in sports, because of stories like Brown and Martin. But after thinking way too much about this Dolphins story, I think I've come to two conclusions.

First, sports aren't regular life. Putting a giant group of guys in a locker room and asking them to compete every single day will probably always result in some twisted behavior that looks horrible if you start splashing the quotes all over the media. None of it exonerates Incognito at all, but the background matters here.

Cheering hypercompetitve testosterone junkies on the field and then expecting civility everywhere else seems pretty naive, and judging the actions of Martin and Incognito as if they were two normal civilians is just as big a stretch. Cruelty isn't that unusual in Incognito's workplace, and most professional athletes respond differently than Martin. The guys who say we wouldn't understand are definitely right.

But then … back to Jordan for a second. There are some people who think he could never have been great if not for his insane competitiveness, and if that meant he treated his teammates like **** sometimes, well, that's just a byproduct of greatness. That's how he made them great. This is loosely the same argument people make to defend the assholes in the NFL. It's all worth it to produce winners on Sunday, or something.

The thing is, I watched Jordan, and I'm currently watching LeBron be just as incredible. And LeBron would never punch someone in the face during practice or berate an 18-year-old. Just the same, the Seahawks are run by the relentlessly positive Pete Carroll and staffed with a meditation consultant and a life skills counselor, and they seem to be doing just fine. Winning doesn’t require misery in 2013.

It makes you rethink history a little bit. A famous bully like Bob Knight won big at Indiana when he had superstars to mold, but what happened when he stopped recruiting at Indiana and Texas Tech? What happened when mortality set in with MJ on the Wizards? People fetishize leaders like Knight and Jordan and all their angry tactics, but maybe talent is the only thing that’s ever mattered.

Maybe Jordan won because he was unstoppable as a scorer, Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman were Hall of Famers who complemented him perfectly, and guys like Kerr would've been great role players with or without the punch in the face. I'm sure teammates feared Jordan, but if he made people better, that might just be because he was an incredible basketball player, not a horrible human being. That's the second lesson in all this.

Look at Kwame and MJ, look at Mike Rice's awful basketball teams at Rutgers, look at Greg Schiano's 0-8 Bucs this year, and most of all, consider that the general idea behind "breaking someone down" is that they'll be stronger for it in the long run. Then remember that Martin grades out as the 60th-best offensive tackle in football, and that he has been a disappointment for most of his NFL career playing next to Incognito.

The inner workings of a locker room may never make sense to us, and this week is another reminder. But this idea in sports that treating people like crap will ultimately make them better? I'm pretty sure that makes no sense either.

Who are the good, the bad and the ugly in the world of hazing, what teams are way out there in thinking it toughens up the players, what teams think it's completely out of order?

Apparently a limited form is allowed in the Packers, where they officially have a quiz with players asked questions about each other and those who miss have to sing a song or tell a joke. Sounds all very cheery and good natured...but BJ Raji has referred to being made to drive around to various food outlets and collect meals, costing him up to €1,500 which is getting a bit darker and more mean spirited...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/100834509.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Who are the good, the bad and the ugly in the world of hazing, what teams are way out there in thinking it toughens up the players, what teams think it's completely out of order?

Apparently a limited form is allowed in the Packers, where they officially have a quiz with players asked questions about each other and those who miss have to sing a song or tell a joke. Sounds all very cheery and good natured...but BJ Raji has referred to being made to drive around to various food outlets and collect meals, costing him up to €1,500 which is getting a bit darker and more mean spirited...

The bengals have something similar......during training camp, the Rookies have to put on a play that the veterans write the script for.....there's the usual "rookies carry the pads" rules and good natured taunting......but once training camp is over, so is the hazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I wonder if he got food for the rest of the team

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Couple of good articles re: the Martin situation.

1) Lydon Martin who played with Martin and Incognito gives his take on things.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/07/richie-incognito-jonathan-martin-dolphins-lydon-murtha/

Interesting in this one as he gives context to the $15,000 that Incognito was reported to have tried to extort and the incident which was rumoured to have been the final straw for Martin.
    I don’t have a dog in this fight.

I want that to be very clear. I played offensive tackle for the Miami Dolphins from 2009 until the 2012 preseason, when I was released after tearing ligaments in my foot and injuring my back, both requiring surgery. I have since retired, and I’m happily working in the auto industry and living outside of Miami. I went to college at Nebraska with Richie Incognito, and I consider myself friends with him and Jonathan Martin, but I don’t speak with them regularly and I’m not taking sides. I’m only interested in the truth, which is what I’m going to share, from my own experiences and from conversations with friends still on the team.

Before I correct some of the misconceptions and outright lies being reported in the course of this story, let’s first establish who Martin and Incognito are as human beings and their relationship with one another.

From the beginning, when he was drafted in April 2012, Martin did not seem to want to be one of the group. He came off as standoffish and shy to the rest of the offensive linemen. He couldn’t look anyone in the eye, which was puzzling for a football player at this level on a team full of grown-ass men. We all asked the same question: Why won’t he be open with us? What’s with the wall being put up? I never really figured it out. He did something I’d never seen before by balking at the idea of paying for a rookie dinner, which is a meal for a position group paid for by rookies. (For example, I paid $9,600 for one my rookie year.) I don’t know if Martin ever ended up paying for one, as I was cut before seeing the outcome.

Martin was expected to play left tackle beside Incognito at guard from the start, so Incognito took him under his wing. They were close friends by all apperances. Martin had a tendency to tank when things would get difficult in practice, and Incognito would lift him up. He’d say, there’s always tomorrow. Richie has been more kind to Martin than any other player.

In other situations, when Martin wasn’t showing effort, Richie would give him a lot of crap. He was a leader on the team, and he would get in your face if you were unprepared or playing poorly. The crap he would give Martin was no more than he gave anyone else, including me. Other players said the same things Incognito said to Martin, so you’d need to suspend the whole team if you suspend Incognito.

Which brings me to my first point: I don’t believe Richie Incognito bullied Jonathan Martin. I never saw Martin singled out, excluded from anything, or treated any differently than the rest of us. We’d have dinners and the occasional night out, and everyone was invited. He was never told he can’t be a part of this. It was the exact opposite. But when he came out, he was very standoffish. That’s why the coaches told the leaders, bring him out of his shell. Figure him out a little bit.

That’s where Incognito ran into a problem. Personally, I know when a guy can’t handle razzing. You can tell that some guys just aren’t built for it. Incognito doesn’t have that filter. He was the jokester on the team, and he joked with everybody from players to coaches. That voicemail he sent came from a place of humor, but where he really screwed up was using the N-word. That, I cannot condone, and it’s probably the biggest reason he’s not with the team right now. Odd thing is, I’ve heard Incognito call Martin the same thing to his face in meetings and all Martin did was laugh. Many more worse things were said about others in the room from all different parties. It’s an Animal House. Now Incognito’s being slandered as a racist and a bigot, and unfortunately that’s never going to be wiped clean because of all the wrong he’s done people in his past. But if you really know who Richie is, he’s a really good, kind man and far from a racist.

In my experience, he’s not the kind of person who would extort someone for $15,000. The notion that Martin was forced to pay for a trip he didn’t attend has been misrepresented.

Every year, as tradition, the offensive line goes on a big Vegas trip. Everything is paid for in advance, from hotels to a private jet to show tickets. Martin originally verbally committed to the trip, then later backed out after everything was booked. Now, if you can’t go because of an emergency then it’s okay, but to say you’re going and then decide you don’t want to spend the money later? Everything was paid for, and then when it was time to pay up he didn’t want to go anymore. You don’t do that to your brothers. The veterans who paid for it, including Incognito and others, asked for Martin’s share, and he gave it to them. End of story.

The silliest part of this story, to me, is the incident at the cafeteria, in which Martin was supposed to have been hazed when everyone got up from their seats as he sat down. Whoever leaked that story failed to share that getting up from a packed lunch table when one lineman sits down is a running gag that has been around for years. It happened to me more than once, and it happened to Martin because guys on the team say he was overcoming an illness. Just like when a guy is hurt, the joke is, I don’t want to sit with you, you’ve got the bug. Perhaps for Martin it was the straw that broke the camel’s back, but when Incognito reached him after he stormed out, Martin told him the departure had nothing to do with Incognito. Martin said it was something else. Then the media onslaught began.

Incognito was made a scapegoat for the hell coming down on the Dolphins organization, which in turn said it knew nothing about any so-called hazing. That’s the most outlandish lie of this whole thing. The coaches know everything. The coaches know who’s getting picked on and in many cases call for that player to be singled out. Any type of denial on that side is ridiculous. I have friends on more than a dozen teams, and it’s the same everywhere. What people want to call bullying is something that is never going away from football. This is a game of high testosterone, with men hammering their bodies on a daily basis. You are taught to be an aggressive person, and you typically do not make it to the NFL if you are a passive person. There are a few, but it’s very hard. Playing football is a man’s job, and if there’s any weak link, it gets weeded out. It’s the leaders’ job on the team to take care of it.

The most unfortunate thing about this situation is the consequence it will have on the careers of both men. Richie’s marked himself now as a racist and a bigot, and unfortunately that could be the end of it. Martin is on the opposite end of the spectrum, but no more likely than Incognito to return to the NFL if he wants. In going to the media with his problem, Martin broke the code, and it shows that he’s not there for his teammates and he’s not standing up for himself. There might be a team that gives him a chance because he’s a good person, but the players will reject him. They’ll think, If I say one thing he’s going to the press. He’ll never earn the respect of teammates and personnel in the NFL because he didn’t take care of business the right way.

What fans should understand is that every day in the NFL there are battles between players worse than what’s being portrayed. This racial slur would be a blip on the radar if everything that happens in the locker room went public. But all over the league, problems are hashed out in house. Either you talk about it or you get physical. But at the end of the day, you handle it indoors.

2) Ryan Riddle, former NFL player, gives some insight into hazing, bullying, culture and his own experiences:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1840958-an-insiders-account-of-bullying-hazing-and-overall-culture-of-the-nfl
    I've written numerous insider-perspective articles regarding my time in the NFL since becoming a proud member of the Bleacher Report family, but perhaps none has left me as vulnerable or as introspective as the complicated topic surrounding the Jonathan Martin saga.

This platform will serve primarily as a reactionary narrative intertwined with my own personal experience of being the “weirdo” on an NFL football team.

One thing that should go without question is that Jonathan Martin was going through an incredible amount of personal anguish. It’s extremely important we consider the level of stress he must've been under to risk his career and good standing in the NFL when he walked out on everything and everyone associated with the Miami Dolphins.

Underneath the lights, behind the glamour and just below the fame of professional football exists a culture and environment so harsh and so unforgiving, it could never hold up to the political correctness of a normal workplace scenario.

Ricky Williams’ interpretation of this ordeal, via 95.7 The Game, provides (what I believe to be accurate) context regarding the culture of the NFL as well as a unique perspective overall.

Here’s an excerpt from the Williams interview:

How is bullying something that's even mentioned regarding the NFL? Because that's kind of what we're taught to do—at least on the field—is to bully the guy across from us so we can win the football game.

It's kind of what we're subjected to on a day-to-day basis that most people will never be able to understand… What we're required to do physically, mentally and emotionally for the course of a season is astronomical—it's amazing. And I'm not saying that it's bad. I'm saying it just really speaks to what it takes to be a professional football player. And to me there's no room to play the victim or to be bullied or to even have that discussion when it comes to the NFL. If you're having that discussion, it just means that maybe you don't belong in the NFL.

I too have experienced some of the very stresses that would eventually take a 6'5", 310-pound man to the brink of his own sanity. Like Martin, I am of a mixed-race background, with a black father and a white mother. Both Martin and I are products of academically prominent college environments and just so happen to be-soft spoken, quiet and at times, socially awkward.

Even now I cringe to reveal this about myself on such a public platform. Though these things may seem trivial, understand just how difficult it is to divulge to thousands of strangers some of my more carefully guarded weaknesses.

Considering much of the bullying components regarding Martin seem to be connected to rookie hazing, perhaps it’s a good idea to start here.

When I was drafted out of the University of California by the Oakland Raiders I was indeed aware of the horror stories about being a rookie in the NFL and some of the things NFL veterans did to mess with you. Not surprisingly, none of that could compete with the excitement of having an opportunity to play football on the biggest stage in the world and make a ton of money.

Not bad for a kid who quit football for two years right after high school declining several scholarship offers along the way because the idea of playing football in college was, quite frankly, an intimidating prospect from a physicality standpoint.

As you can imagine, the details and methods of hazing vary considerably from team to team, and even position to position. My experience with this process was nearly entirely a positive one in Oakland.

I was expected to carry the shoulder pads and helmets of the veteran linebackers and defensive linemen after practice. On travel days the rookies were forced to drive to the nearest Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen and buy food for their entire position group to be consumed in transit from 30,000 feet up. Although this caused some moments of stress when trying to get back before the team bus would leave, it was generally accepted and understood as a justifiable duty.

For flights, rookies had to wait until the veterans had chosen their seats before sitting on the plane. During preseason when the roster is at 90 players, finding a good seat on the plane can be a real challenge.

Training camp offered more opportunities for veterans to flex their muscles as rookies were subjected to horrific haircuts that ranged from creative to just plain sickly looking. My haircut fell in the realm of the latter.

To be honest, I enjoyed having the veterans collaborate on my haircut while initiating me into the family. It generated a lot of laughs and lingers in my memory as one of the best bonding moments of my first NFL training camp.

This show was supervised and accepted by the coaches. The event was something most of the team looked forward to and saw as a rare, light-hearted form of entertainment as well as a rite of passage for first-year guys.

As a generally shy person who avoided the spotlight, anticipation for this day was nerve-racking to say the least.

A few fellow rookies and I decided to team up for a skit that would mock a typical post-practice meeting for the defense. My role was to impersonate the defensive line coach, Keith Millard, who happened to be one of the more colorful characters I’d ever met.

The performance turned out to be legendary as the quiet guy who didn’t say a whole lot performed the most immaculate impersonation of coach Millard they had ever seen. Players were rolling on the floor in uncontrollable laughter.

As a matter of fact, I would eventually be subjected to endless requests by both coaches and players to recreate my performance from that night. Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha and several other vets said it was the best rookie-show performance they’d ever seen.

Had it not been for the rookie show, I don’t think I would have ever made so many friends or felt as connected to the team as I ended up feeling. That entire process really allowed the team to get to know another side of me, which made me more approachable in the long run.

Hazing Gone too Far?

One night during the early weeks of the regular season, several of the defensive players decided to go into San Francisco for a rookie dinner. They rented a limousine and swooped up as many rookies and veterans on the defensive side as they could. The decision to have this event on that particular night was either a surprise or spontaneous because I was actually hosting family and friends that day who drove up from Los Angeles to visit and was unavailable.

The next day I discovered that I owed $5,000 to the veterans for a dinner in which I took no part in—sound familiar?

Rather than cause any waves, I wrote them a check for the money the next day. Apparently, they bought every single bottle of the most expensive champagne in the restaurant and would have bought more had the supply not been completely exhausted.

Although it seemed excessive, I was thankful to be in the position to do this and understood it was a one-time deal that is part of a long tradition. I wished I was there to enjoy it.

This was more or less the extent of my hazing experience as a rookie—aside from the constant reminders of your status by being universally referred to as “Rook” from the veterans.

It should be understood that general forms of rookie hazing are not some terrifying epidemic that needs to be eradicated, but rather a special ritual that, when done properly, can help cement new relationships, show respect to those who came before us and incubate a healthy chemistry within the locker room.

However, like most things, this too can be implemented improperly through malice or other dysfunctions. Moreover, you never really know how an individual is going to react to being in such a submissive and vulnerable position.

In an article published in The New York Times written in 1998, Mike Freeman talks about the evolution of hazing in football over the years.

The Weirdo

After I was released by the Raiders during my second season, I would eventually sign with the New York Jets during the third week of the 2006 season. This was then head coach Eric Mangini’s first year with the team, and he was in the process of reinventing the culture of the organization.

Keep in mind that being cut from an NFL team can be a tremendously traumatic experience and often leaves a long-lasting hangover.

I was still struggling to come to terms with being released by the Raiders while trying to transition into an entirely new team, with entirely new players, in an entirely new city on the other side of the country.

Considering that most of the team bonding occurs during the many months of the offseason and in training camp—all valuable time that I was not a part of—I was intrinsically placed into the outsider role and forced to fight my way out with a high investment in the social realm. Considering I was behind the eight ball in learning the defensive playbook, finding a place to live, buying a car and familiarizing myself with basic life necessities, I put the need to bond with teammates on the lower end of my priorities.

To the guys in the locker room of which I just became a part of, I represented the departure of a person they'd already grown to like. I represented the ever-present awareness of the borrowed time we’re all living on.

Not only was I the new guy, but I was also more reserved and quiet than most. I gave people little opportunities to get to know me.

At lunch I dreaded having to make a decision on which table full of strangers I was going to sit with. Generally, I would gravitate toward a table that best represented my wave length—perhaps one with philosophical debate or enjoyable personal stories. This was not a normal option. The choices were often limited to endless ragging on each other about bad haircuts, hunting or who the best rapper alive is.

To make matters worse, I had no real way of entering in on many of those conversations as inside jokes and character boundaries had already been established. In addition, there was always this endless feeling of having to study for a big test that would be taken during reps at practice. While everyone else was months into the playbook, I was days into it.

It’s important to mention that intelligent and thoughtful NFL players are found in every locker room across the NFL landscape. My inability to bond and fit in was largely the product of my own insecurities and self-perception.

I was definitely struck by the contrast in locker-room dynamics from the Raiders to the Jets. In New York the culture was much more abrasive. The locker-room banter seemed to be fraught with belittling one another—it was a dynamic I was neither well-versed in nor good at navigating through.

As the weeks went by I did eventually make friends and had some interactions here and there, but my tendencies as a quiet and withdrawn person were carrying the majority of the momentum. Conversations were not completely absent, but there was definitely a lack of balance on my end to truly fit in with the crowd.

What do you do when a group of guys are laughing at things you just don’t find funny?

What do you say when the conversations are about hunting and you’ve never held a gun?

The more time passed the more people probably thought I was completely boring and let me be. Name calling and ragging on each other was not something that came my way very often during my time in New York but was tossed around liberally by players as the primary method of group interactions. I became so afraid of having the roast turned on me that I would do everything I could to go unnoticed.

On travel days and game days it was mandatory that we wear a suit and tie on the bus and plane. These days were always a self-induced trauma for me as it was tradition for guys to seek out the worst suits among us.

This process of suit bashing would literally take up an entire day and could get pretty insulting. I knew I was a ripe target for ridicule considering I bought a cheap suit that barely fit me when I arrived in New York because I had to get on a plane the next day and didn’t have time to get it properly tailored.

You must understand, these men spend thousands of dollars on each suit and typically have an entire wardrobe of custom-fitted suits they paid way too much for. I, on the other hand, had a crappy suit I paid a few hundred bucks for and the same dress shoes I wore for my college games.

Every time I wore that suit I would shrink into a perpetual state of insecurity, hoping to survive the potential bombardment of ridicule long enough to get up to my hotel room. Although it may seem like I would have been the most targeted guy for this type of ridicule, I was actually so successful at being invisible on those days that it rarely even came my way. It was merely the fear of ridicule that haunted me to a state of paralysis.

It also showed me something even more alarming. I realized that I was so much of an outsider that guys didn’t even feel comfortable to tease me.

Throughout my entire football career, never did I hate playing the game more than when I played for the Jets in 2006. I was miserable.

I wondered whether I even wanted to play football anymore. I was literally afraid of returning to the Jets and going through training camp with the current locker-room dynamics.

Through it all I knew I was creating my own hell but didn’t know how to reverse it, nor did I have the courage to even if I did.

I devoted my energy to my craft and was an intense competitor. My courage would show up most when my helmet was on.

As you can imagine, players are going to try and test a guy like me and see whether they could break me. In this regard I believe I deviate most from whom I perceive Jonathan Martin to be. When tested by guys who thought I was weak or soft, they quickly would see the feisty animal that lies within.

Football at least provided me with an outlet and a stage to prove that even though I may be quiet and unassuming, I am not someone you want to mess with. To get this message across amid such a violent backdrop, it requires a violent nature to be engineered. Without it, you cannot survive the culture as a soft-spoken guy.

Troy Polamalu is a good example of a guy who is incredibly unassuming off the field but becomes a violent Tasmanian devil when on it.

During my time on the Jets I stumbled into a few physical altercations with teammates where they may have mistaken my kindness for weakness. After each altercation, a new level of respect would not only seem to emerge, but also sustain itself.

Jonathan Martin

I believe Martin must have been dealing with the same sorts of emotions and inner torment that I was. I understand how that can build into something of a volcano. I can also imagine that his struggles on the field, as well as constant criticism by the media and Miami fanbase, were chipping away at him internally.

It’s impossible to determine what the best course of action for Martin would have been to rid himself of his inner turmoil.

But for me, I know that the environment I hated so much was mostly a direct reflection of a hatred I had for myself.

I hated the prison I constructed around me to keep me safe from my own social awkwardness.

Bullying

Football is a sport designed for one man to bully another. The very nature of the game requires a man to brutally dominate his opponent.

To play this game you must be incredibly tough. To play this game at the NFL level, you better be tough on nearly every level imaginable. Thick skin is a prerequisite.

We need to consider the possibility that Martin possesses a character and personality type that does not fit in the harsh world of the NFL. Furthermore, we should be careful with any attempts to make a uniquely demanding sport tolerable for those who struggle to thrive within it.

The Darwinian qualities we perpetually seek to minimize are in fact the very elements that make the game so special.

There’s a reason I have not mentioned Richie Incognito once until now. For me he represents the opposite end of the spectrum from Martin. But his tendencies and character are that which happen to contribute to his success in the NFL.

Though he often crosses the line and can be seen as a raging madman (explicit language), he actually better represents what an NFL general manager wants than Martin does from a character standpoint. Intense, violent, brutal and aggressive are assets for an offensive lineman—whereas kind, friendly, passive and peaceful are not.

This is just the nature of the game.

If these two personality types were working in a law firm, Incognito would likely feel like the outsider struggling to relate to his coworkers and the people around him while Martin would presumably be more at home than ever. In this hypothetical environment, Incognito would be the brunt of constant ridicule and made to feel both primitive and inadequate.

Yet what’s interesting in that scenario is that just like Martin and myself in the NFL, Incognito would have authored his own hellish nightmare as the awkward and disrespected outsider.

With that said, I do not condone nor defend anything Incognito is alleged to have said or done to Martin. But context is important in this case and perhaps people are starting to comprehend to some degree why NFL players, especially Dolphins’ teammates, are predominately in support of the accused rather than the accuser.

If nothing else, perhaps there's one silver lining that can emerge from this situation. From here on out any player who even contemplates crossing that line of bullying will probably think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

http://www.local10.com/blob/view/-/22861118/data/1/-/swp3j9/-/Redacted-Aventura-police-report-pdf.pdf

Incidents like this really aren't going to help Mr. Incognito, fcukin idiot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

As usual, the best take on all of this comes from Grantland.
    Paully D wrote: »
    Couple of good articles re: the Martin situation

Great articles to link guys but spare a thought for mobile users, getting scrollers cramp here!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

There is so much meat on the bones of this whole hazing issue. It could nearly do with it's own thread at this stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Foster out for the rest of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Foster out for the rest of the season

Did he consider my fantasy team when he announced this? Selfish, inconsiderate A-hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Rumours that big ben is going to request a trade. Hard for me to imagine the Steelers without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Looks like Ireland and Philbin might be out of the job over the Martin/Incognito incident.

Regarding Big Ben, where would he go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Arizona seems like a good fit with Arians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Looks like Ireland and Philbin might be out of the job over the Martin/Incognito incident.

Regarding Big Ben, where would he go?

Arizona springs to mind. They could end up too high in the draft to get a player at that position from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Masked Man wrote: »
    Rumours that big ben is going to request a trade. Hard for me to imagine the Steelers without him.

Christ that would be the shock news story of the season, if not the last couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Masked Man wrote: »
    Arizona seems like a good fit with Arians.

I'd be happy for Larry Fitzgerald if this were the case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement