Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I don't know whether to file this under Weird or Wacky but the Arizona Cardinals are 5-4 through Week 10...when da fcuk did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hazys wrote: »
    I don't know whether to file this under Weird or Wacky but the Arizona Cardinals are 5-4 through Week 10...when da fcuk did that happen?

You will find your answer here.....

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Hazys wrote: »

Their next 5 games are all pretty winnable too!

@Jags, Colts, @Eagles, Rams, @Titans.

They'll need to go 4-1 to be in with a shot of the play offs with the 49ers and Seahawks their last 2 games!

My god...Cardinals for the Cup!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

SantryRed wrote: »
    Their next 5 games are all pretty winnable too!

@Jags, Colts, @Eagles, Rams, @Titans.

They'll need to go 4-1 to be in with a shot of the play offs with the 49ers and Seahawks their last 2 games!

That week 17 game could be a nightmare for SF as they will probably need the win for a shot at a wildcard by then, hoping the cards are at least out of contention by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

The NFC wildcard race is fairly stacked. As of now only 2 of the Saints, Panthers, Packers, 49ers, Bears and Cardinals are making it.

It's no joke.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

SameOleJay wrote: »
    The NFC wildcard race is fairly stacked. As of now only 2 of the Saints, Panthers, Packers, 49ers, Bears and Cardinals are making it.

It's no joke.

Surely one of the saints and panthers will win the division, so that will remove one team from your list. If I had to guess I'd say the Panthers and 49ers would sneak the WC slots. NFC North division is still wide open too.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

My mistake, you're right.

I think only a Lions' collapse can open the North up. Rodgers down a couple more weeks and an easy schedule should see them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Looks like Finlays career could be over as all things are quiet.

Former Packers TE Mark Chumura believes Jermichael Finley's (neck) career is over.

Chumura says that Finley will indeed need surgery to repair the scary spinal cord contusion he sustained last month. "I will give you a little snibbet," Chmura said. "I got a chance to talk to Jermichael Finley before the game, and I would bet my bottom dollar his career's over. Over." Finley has been quiet on his future as more medical opinions are sought out. His contract is up following this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Ed Reed has been released by the Texans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

me89 wrote: »

Think he could convert to LT and play for the Dolphins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

NFC East is still wide open although I think Dallas should get in. If the Giants get to the playoffs then the Eagles, Cowboys and Skins should just give up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

me89 wrote: »

He threatened retirement over the last 3 seasons in an effort to get a new deal. The Ravens GM saw an ageing and often injured player who a shadow of his best days and said no to a new deal.

The Texans owner has made a costly mistake here.

In time Reed will go the Hall of Fame and this episode will be forgotten

Have players always been this reluctant to retire?.....it seems as though players recently have just tried to hang on way longer than they should.

There's a reality show here in the US hosted by a life coach who helps people through major life decisions and events......the first episode this season was working with TO to help him accept that his NFL career is over, and starting out he was convinced that he still had a couple of seasons left in him.

Have players always been this reluctant to retire?.....it seems as though players recently have just tried to hang on way longer than they should.

There's a reality show here in the US hosted by a life coach who helps people through major life decisions and events......the first episode this season was working with TO to help him accept that his NFL career is over, and starting out he was convinced that he still had a couple of seasons left in him.

I think the virtual god status, adoration, money and being the only thing they've done in life probably makes it hard

Arawn wrote: »
    I think the virtual god status, adoration, money and being the only thing they've done in life probably makes it hard

I think money is the big thing....at best you'll have a 12-15 year career....but most players blow through every penny they earn. It was a shock when Carson Palmer held out a couple of years ago and said that he already had enough money put aside to retire.......apparently he was an exception to the rule.

I think money is the big thing....at best you'll have a 12-15 year career....but most players blow through every penny they earn. It was a shock when Carson Palmer held out a couple of years ago and said that he already had enough money put aside to retire.......apparently he was an exception to the rule.

I know,I think it's amazing, give me a tenth of what some these players earn in a contract and i could retire now comfortable and im in my 20's

I know,I think it's amazing, give me a tenth of what some these players earn in a contract and i could retire now comfortable and im in my 20's

Coincidentally.....the Martin/Incognito story was just on the news here a work.....one of the points made.....during his suspension, Incognito does not receive his WEEKLY $235,000 paycheck..... sigh

Coincidentally.....the Martin/Incognito story was just on the news here a work.....one of the points made.....during his suspension, Incognito does not receive his WEEKLY $235,000 paycheck..... sigh

Matt flynn was picking up nearly 400k aweek at raiders, let that sink in

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Friend of mine trades oil for a living and he's about to marry into a damn wealthy family (2 private jet wealthy) fcuker is a workaholic though!

He could comfortably sit back on just his own earnings/bonuses for life now

• Advertisement

Friend of mine trades oil for a living and he's about to marry into a damn wealthy family (2 private jet wealthy)

So now you'll be going to games every weekend.................isn't that peachy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

So now you'll be going to games every weekend.................isn't that peachy.

Nah.. she's from North Carolina... too many panthers fans in her family!

Though the wedding will most likely be in NC.. and its next year so will be hopeful of getting to a game..

Expect a thread on it in January :pac:

50-cent-andy-reid-niners.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ex Raven WR Laquan Williams was cut earlier this year. Never made much of an impact at reciever but was a solid special teamer and good player to have around.

Was picked up the Patriots last week. I never would have thought he'd be the type to get involved in this.

http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78156819/

Quick summary is that he is accused of being in a party of 30 that were removed from a stripclub in Washington for drugs on the premises and he then assaulted and battered a bouncer in the carpark.
    The city is getting sued also as it seems another bouncer was hit with a baton over the head by a police officer.

Maybe this will turn out to be fake and a money grab, the total claims are for 8 million dollars. I don't see that there were criminal charges, it's just a civil law suit.

Williams was an undrafted free agent and is easily replaced, this may be the end of his career

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ex Raven WR Laquan Williams was cut earlier this year. Never made much of an impact at reciever but was a solid special teamer and good player to have around.

Was picked up the Patriots last week. I never would have thought he'd be the type to get involved in this.

http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78156819/

Quick summary is that he is accused of being in a party of 30 that were removed from a stripclub in Washington for drugs on the premises and he then assaulted and battered a bouncer in the carpark.
    The city is getting sued also as it seems another bouncer was hit with a baton over the head by a police officer.

Maybe this will turn out to be fake and a money grab, the total claims are for 8 million dollars. I don't see that there were criminal charges, it's just a civil law suit.

Williams was an undrafted free agent and is easily replaced, this may be the end of his career

As a former "bouncer"(hate that word) if you are suing over someone having a go you should **** off out og the job you complete ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You should watch this. Shows both sides (them blowing money vs. how they get screwed out of it) and it's just an awesome documentary. Probably the best the 30 for 30 series to have a large focus on the NFL after 'The U'.

Matt flynn was picking up nearly 400k aweek at raiders, let that sink in
    While still crazy money, you've still got to remember that is $235k/$400k a week... for just 16 weeks a year. NFL players as best I know get their pay weekly around game day, do not get paid in the offseason and frequently have clauses in their contracts that if they don't suit up (injury, suspension, etc) they don't get paid.

NFL contracts are also supposed to be the most deceptive in American sports, and probably in any sport. The documentary above is fascinating - and yes, it does show some of the insane ways that they blow their money too ("I was just retired, had €57,000 to my name, that was all I had in the world to make myself again. But then the new Hummer came out and that was like €51,000... I had to have it!! :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

wow that Princeton offense is inventive would love to see the face on the defensive coordinator trying to come up with a play agains that.

what is it a 6-option offense crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Good watch this - 'The Book of Manning'

Talk about a successful family! Even the one son who didn't make it in football (for medical reasons) has a net worth of $15m from energy trading.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement