Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Apparently after the Titans beat Oakland last night and woman threw herself off the top deck, someone tried to catch her so she didnt die.. but its only football :(

Yeah but presumably this woman wasn't wrapped too tight to begin with. If it wasn't football it would be something

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

yeah absolutely, a sandwich or 2 short of a picnic but hey losing to the titans would drive someone over the edge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The 3 Thanksgiving games are perfectly set this weekend.

A loss for either Green Bay/Detroit will probably knock them out of the play off hunt.
    A loss for the Cowboys will give the Eagles the lead in the division.
    A loss for either Baltimore/Pittsburgh will probably knock them out of contention too!

1st and 3rd games will be crackers. Especially if AR makes the game for the Pack!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Do the Lions and Cowboys always play on Thanksgiving and if so, why? Since I've started watching they've always been on Thanksgiving if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Paully D wrote: »
    Do the Lions and Cowboys always play on Thanksgiving and if so, why? Since I've started watching they've always been on Thanksgiving if I remember correctly.

Yeah. Its pretty much tradition. Cant remember if theres a reason begind the tradition though. Detroit seem to play the Packers a lot too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Two Girls One Klopp

Paully D wrote: »

Lions were among the first teams to start this.

Kept going and it became tradition. A fantastic tradition if you ask me.

Cowboys formed in 1960 and asked for one, got it in around mid 60's and kept it going every year.

Third game added since 2006. One of my favourite football days of the year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

will be making sure sky sports is on in the office on Thursday :D:D

Billy86 wrote: »
    Why NFL media coverage is such a joke at times

"Most would agree that the quarterback is the most important player on the field (the possible exception being a kicker in OT). Where would the Patriots be without Tom Brady? Well, the answer is nowhere and if the team doesn't clean up its pass protection against the Panthers this weekend he could be in trouble."

Brady's one of the best ever don't get me wrong, but come on for f*** sake! He's picked it up the last few weeks, but has been pretty brutal for much of the season. Yes I know he has been throwing to nobodies a good deal, but put a good 8-10 other QBs in his place (this year, not for his career of course) and the Patriots are likely exactly where they are, maybe even better. Wasn't his QBR in the low/mid 70s before the Steelers game only two weeks back? It's like that never happened! But hey, I guess once you hit that top level you become infallible. :rolleyes:

Don't suppose anyone fancies revisiting this post from last week?:D

[I'm just kidding by the way, hindsight is a lovely thing. I saw a post I put up in August making fun of the Bears resigning Josh McCown as backup. I retract my tomfoolery here]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

NFL >>> All other professional sport leagues

With 5 games left in the season, 24 teams are at least within 1 game of a playoff berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Hazys wrote: »
    NFL >>> All other professional sport leagues

With 5 games left in the season, 24 teams are at least within 1 game of a playoff berth.

Playing devil's advocate you could argue that bar 2/3 teams that the league is mired in mediocrity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

[I'm just kidding by the way, hindsight is a lovely thing. I saw a post I put up in August making fun of the Bears resigning Josh McCown as backup. I retract my tomfoolery here]
    Let's not miss where I said "He's picked it up the last few weeks" and which I was right on, despite his struggles earlier in the year. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

which I was right on, despite his struggles earlier in the year. ;)

67tuts.gif

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

4A3ya5.gif

david-tenant-oh-yes.gif

---

Here's an interesting bit of trivia... who can name the active QB with the most 4th quarter comebacks per start (minimum 75 starts)? Hint: As best I can see at a glance, he also has the most fourth quarter comebacks per start (min 75 starts) in NFL history.

The answer may surprise some. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

david-tenant-oh-yes.gif

---

Here's an interesting bit of trivia... who can name the active QB with the most 4th quarter comebacks per start (minimum 75 starts)? Hint: As best I can see at a glance, he also has the most fourth quarter comebacks per start (min 75 starts) in NFL history.

The answer may surprise some. ;)

Given what happened last night, I'm going to say Peyton?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Matt Ryan. Knew it wasn't any of the elite QBs as they generally have the heavy lifting done within 3 quarters.

Nope and nope. The answer is...

213x3001.jpg

Didn't see that coming, did ya? :D

Tony Romo, famously labelled by much of the media and many fans alike as one of the league's biggest chokers, averages more 4th quarter comebacks per start than anyone in the league, with 19 over 104 starts. More (per game) than Brady, more than Peyton, more than Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger or Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, Flacco or anyone else with 75+ starts. As best I can see at a glance, for QBs with 75 or more starts, Romo's per-game average of fourth quarter comebacks per game is actually #1 all time, and all that despite having a more dysfunctional setup around him than maybe any other established QB of recent years, and not too much quality outside of Witten (and more recently, Dez Bryant) to go to.

But the media don't like him for whatever reason, he doesn't have that 'golden boy' image of a Matt Ryan or Carson Palmer* (to exclude the 'big four' QBs) and so they don't only ignore it... they actually try to claim the opposite, that he can never 'get it done when it counts'. He's not a top, top QB by any means and comebacks are overrated in my opinion for the reason matthew8 pointed out primarily... but it's a stat the NFL media love to put too much weight behind, so I'm using their criteria here for obvious reasons.

*Most overrated player in the league over the past 5-7 years, probably by quite a distance too.

Turns out wearing a Walter Payton jersey isn't the same as being Walter Payton...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Another failed drug test for the Seahawks.

Browner with another failed test and is now facing an 8 game ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Feck's sake, I knew it had to be one of the 2. I'm the biggest Romo fan going so I know all about his late game play, just would have thought he's made more than 104 starts.

There's no player I would prefer to see get a ring than Romo. Unfortunately the Cowboys look like they'll go 8-8 every season until he retires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Playing devil's advocate you could argue that bar 2/3 teams that the league is mired in mediocrity

I'd say there is one team that I'd say is awesome and they are riddled with PED's.

RE: Romo is a good QB. But he was a choker and now he seems to have improved but the Cowboys aren't winning a SB any time soon. He played well yesterday but the Cowboys have been poor this season and so has he.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Browner with a substance abuse suspension.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000288008/article/seahawks-brandon-browner-facing-suspension-for-peds#news-article-comments

Schefter on the twitter
    Seahawks CB Brandon Browner is facing a one-year suspension from NFL for violating substance-abuse policy, per NFL sources. He has appealed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Browner tweeting out that he is not facing a suspension. No idea what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

adrian522 wrote: »
    Browner tweeting out that he is not facing a suspension. No idea what is going on.

He said he's not facing a suspension for PED's, he is substance abuse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He said he's not facing a suspension for PED's, he is substance abuse.

Looks like he's done in Seattle if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Two Girls One Klopp

lionsfumble.gif

One of the best GIFS of the year. Lions seem to be doing everything in their power to not top the NFC North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

HigginsJ wrote: »

TBH i think your circle of parity disproves that a bit. As any of the mediocre teams can beat the top teams. The NY Giants would have been considered "mediocre" when they barely sneaked into the playoffs as the 6th seed.

• Advertisement

Bored at work, I decided to play around with Google just now, by putting in the words "why do the" followed by some team names and seeing what the first auto-predict would be.

So far I've gotten:
    "Why do the Detroit Lions stink?"
    "Why do the Chicago Bears have no cheerleaders?"

Bit of a strange one this:
    "Why do the Green Bay Packers ride bikes?"

But my favourite is:
    "Why do the Jacksonville Jaguars exist?"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement