Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Bored at work, I decided to play around with Google just now, by putting in the words "why do the" followed by some team names and seeing what the first auto-predict would be.

So far I've gotten:
    "Why do the Detroit Lions stink?"
    "Why do the Chicago Bears have no cheerleaders?"

Bit of a strange one this:
    "Why do the Green Bay Packers ride bikes?"

But my favourite is:
    "Why do the Jacksonville Jaguars exist?"

Prob from all the pics of the pack riding kids bikes with the kids on the back which they do once a year iirc once in the playoffs and bring local kids to watch practice or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Arawn wrote: »
    Prob from all the pics of the pack riding kids bikes with the kids on the back which they do once a year iirc once in the playoffs and bring local kids to watch practice or something like that.

They do it every year for training camp as far as I know.

TO. wrote: »
    They do it every year for training camp as far as I know.

Did it before the superbowl the other year too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Its a long standing tradition at the Packers training camp where the players ride the bikes of local kids back to the dressing rooms after training and the kids usually carry their helmets

temp130724-bike-kids-11--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

hi-res-89756965_crop_north.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

ht_packers_bike_1980s_090905_ssv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Of course, sometimes the tradition is just asking for trouble. :D

Anthony_Toribio.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Hazys wrote: »
    TBH i think your circle of parity disproves that a bit. As any of the mediocre teams can beat the top teams. The NY Giants would have been considered "mediocre" when they barely sneaked into the playoffs as the 6th seed.

Just out of interest who are the top teams?

Hazys wrote: »
    TBH i think your circle of parity disproves that a bit. As any of the mediocre teams can beat the top teams. The NY Giants would have been considered "mediocre" when they barely sneaked into the playoffs as the 6th seed.
    These were the Vegas odds as of August 13th...

BRONCOS …. 5-1
    49ERS …… 6-1
    SEAHAWKS … 7-1
    PATRIOTS … 8-1
    PACKERS …. 8-1
    TEXANS …. 14-1
    FALCONS … 18-1
    SAINTS …. 18-1
    STEELERS .. 20-1
    GIANTS …. 20-1
    REDSKINS .. 20-1
    BENGALS … 25-1
    RAVENS …. 30-1
    BEARS ….. 30-1

Packers and Patriots have had boatloads of injuries, GBs back-breaker being Rodgers, 49ers have been very stop-start on offense (though I read Crabtree got re-activated yesterday which could be huge for them), Broncos were killing it but it looks like their lack of o-line depth is hurting them quite a bit now. Seahawks have been living up to/exceeding expectations but the Browner substance abuse issue could hurt their momentum. Saints defense has been a lot better than expected, which has to have shortened their odds (on top of obviously having the best play-caller in the game back in Sean Payton). Falcons and Texans (who as of now occupy the #1 spot in the draft which is beyond shocking) have just been woeful.

As of today these are the Superbowl odds on Paddy:
    BRONCOS ... 3-1
    SEAHAWKS ... 3-1
    PATRIOTS ... 6-1
    SAINTS ... 7-1
    PANTHERS ... 8-1
    49ERS ... 14/1
    BENGALS ... 20-1
    CHIEFS ... 20-1
    COLTS ... 25-1
    COWBOYS ... 33-1

Packers are at 50/1, with no odds for the Texans, Falcons or Redskins.

---

As for the Giants, that is completely true in 2007, but in 2011 while not a huge favourite people knew they had done it before with a good few of the same players and a similar set up (Eli on fire and good WRs, quality pass rush and DBs playing organised if not spectacular).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Just threw a tenner on the Packers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Tristram wrote: »
    Just threw a tenner on the Packers.

not a bad punt at 50/1 at all. Think I might do likewise on betfair and then if they make the playoffs I should be able to make a nice few quid on laying out of it then.

D3PO wrote: »
    not a bad punt at 50/1 at all. Think I might do likewise on betfair and then if they make the playoffs I should be able to make a nice few quid on laying out of it then.

might throw a few bob on myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

might throw a few bob on myself

If they manage to win tomorrow at the Lions with Flynn at QB, their price will roughly half I'd imagine. With Rodgers back in the next two weeks then they should make the playoffs.

But if they lose then they are a busted flush really because they won't catch anyone in the wildcard positions IMO and they'll more than likely be two games behind the two divisional leaders.

That said, the reward probably outweighs the reward if your backing to lay.

If they manage to win tomorrow at the Lions with Flynn at QB, their price will roughly half I'd imagine. With Rodgers back in the next two weeks then they should make the playoffs.

But if they lose then they are a busted flush really because they won't catch anyone in the wildcard positions IMO and they'll more than likely be two games behind the two divisional leaders.

Yeah id be backing to lay. If I can get a free 10 bet at 25/1 on them after a win against the Lions id happily take it :)

20e at them prices is fine to lose.

I'm tempted to do the same myself but I have visions of giving up a bijillion yards tomorrow to Megatron, Bush and co.

Meh, nothing ventured nothing gained. I'm going in on them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Bored at work, I decided to play around with Google just now, by putting in the words "why do the" followed by some team names and seeing what the first auto-predict would be.

So far I've gotten:
    "Why do the Detroit Lions stink?"
    "Why do the Chicago Bears have no cheerleaders?"

Bit of a strange one this:
    "Why do the Green Bay Packers ride bikes?"

But my favourite is:
    "Why do the Jacksonville Jaguars exist?"

Been having a go at that myself with players:

"why does eli manning looks retarded"
    "why does tony romo choke"
    "why does everyone hate mark sanchez"
    "why does rex ryan still have a job"
    "why does bill belichik wear cutoff sweatshirts"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Red Crow wrote: »
    Just out of interest who are the top teams?

Very hard to say.

I think my whole argument is that the NFL is better than any other sports leagues as the NFL because of the salary cap and playoff structure there is excitement for most teams right up until the final weeks of the league because the overall gap between the best team and the worst team isn't that large. Every team has a realistic chance of making the playoffs at the start of the season, get in and all bets are off.

Compare it to the Premiership, the top teams are very easy to define and the top 4 has rarely changed in the last 20 years. The majority of teams (that finish between 6th and 16th) are never really in the running for the league or Europe or relegation for the majority of their season.

The gap between the Top 4 in the Premiership and a mid table team like Aston Villa is huge while the gap between a top 4 team in the NFL and a mid placed team in the NFL is a lot smaller.

Something to remember even if the Lions win tomorrow is that they are 2-3 in their last five games, with the two wins being by 2pts against the Bears (two weeks ago, so injury ravaged) and 1pt at home to the Cowboys. They've been spluttering pretty badly over that time. I say if you're betting on the Packers at 50/1, do it before tomorrow.

Packers are also at +6 for tomorrow. The result really could go either way, but I'll happily be taking that handicap with or without Rodgers - for anyone who wasn't watching, our offense did a complete U-turn last week from Flynn's second or third drive onwards (though the o-line let us down in overtime), he's not good enough to be a starter but he is a limited 'system' guy who fits our system like a glove. It's obviously nothing like having Rodgers back, but we are bound to be a sh**e side better than we have been the last few weeks on offense.

If it comes off we should have a football beers! actually will anywhere be showing the games tomorrow?? going to dub tomorrow with the filthy giants fan

If it comes off we should have a football beers! actually will anywhere be showing the games tomorrow?? going to dub tomorrow with the filthy giants fan
    Woolshed as always will be your best bet - especially being the Thanksgiving games.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Something to remember even if the Lions win tomorrow is that they are 2-3 in their last five games, with the two wins being by 2pts against the Bears (two weeks ago, so injury ravaged) and 1pt at home to the Cowboys. They've been spluttering pretty badly over that time. I say if you're betting on the Packers at 50/1, do it before tomorrow.

Packers are also at +6 for tomorrow. The result really could go either way, but I'll happily be taking that handicap with or without Rodgers - for anyone who wasn't watching, our offense did a complete U-turn last week from Flynn's second or third drive onwards (though the o-line let us down in overtime), he's not good enough to be a starter but he is a limited 'system' guy who fits our system like a glove. It's obviously nothing like having Rodgers back, but we are bound to be a sh**e side better than we have been the last few weeks on offense.
    whats the line on that handicap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

50/1 for Packers. I just can't say no to that.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Woolshed as always will be your best bet - especially being the Thanksgiving games.

anyone heading into em?

nobody is to bet on the pack till I get home and get on at 50/1 you feckers will have it moved to 33/1 at this rate :P

D3PO wrote: »
    nobody is to bet on the pack till I get home and get on at 50/1 you feckers will have it moved to 33/1 at this rate :P

Just going to hoover up the 60.0 on Betfair now! :D

Just going to hoover up the 60.0 on Betfair now! :D

BLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPP :pac:

Knex. wrote: »
    50/1 for Packers. I just can't say no to that.
    10/11... GB to win at 21/10 (MUCH better value for GB to win & over 41.5 total pts at 16/5 if you go this route)... GB +4.5 & over 49.5pts at 11/4... GB to win & over 49.5pts at 9/2... GB +6.5 & over 49.5pts at 2/1... oh, and GB -13.5 at 18/1. :pac:

I would be very, very surprised to see either team fail to break 20 points to be honest. Though with the season that's been in it, we can now predict one team to win 2-0 on a punt block that gets returned, then fumbled, then fumbled again, resulting in a pile on in the end zone.

Highly doubt I'll be able to make it in, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Zoton

anyone heading into em?

Yup. A bit strange heading in for football twice in the one week, but should be good fun. Work Friday morning less so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Am I right in saying the Woolshed will be absolutely mobbed tomorrow? I seem to remember being in there before on Thanksgiving and it was fine, but it was a few years ago and the football nights in general seem a lot busier in there these days.

I might make it in tomorrow night for the first time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sean Taylor is dead six years today. He was gone before I started to get into the game, but what do you lads remember of him? I've been told he was very good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement