Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Paully D wrote: »
    Sean Taylor is dead six years today. He was gone before I started to get into the game, but what do you lads remember of him? I've been told he was very good.

I'd only been following the sport about a year when it happened so I wasn't really aware of him at the time. I remember reading that he was leading the league in interceptions at that stage.
    I remember the Redskins lined up with ten players for the first play on defense in their next game in memory of him and gave up a really big play or something along those lines.

It was certainly a massive loss for the league anyway, particuliarly with the way he left this world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sean Taylor is dead six years today. He was gone before I started to get into the game, but what do you lads remember of him? I've been told he was very good.
    He had outrageous potential coming into the league, but if I remember correctly he actually had a bit of a rough time adjusting earlier in his career - still good, but liable to give up some big plays. Once he got going though, he was immense... he had the size of a linebacker who hits like one, range as good as (if not better than) anyone not named Ed Reed, very smart and with very soft hands. He was basically turning into a human highlight reel, with the ability to do the 'unseen' stuff as well.

Basically, it's probably safe to say that he was the biggest athletic freak I can remember seeing at safety, but he had all the intangibles as well. Hard to say if he could have to the level of Ed Reed or Polamalu, but he certainly had a good shot at it (and for my money, Ed Reed is the best safety ever, especially).

Excellent tribute video to him and his Miami/Redskins career;

Just imagine that the guy who lays THAT hit at 0:45 ( :eek: by the way) could outrun everyone and make yards after the interception like in the reverse at 1:15, but also make interceptions like the one I'll never forget against GB at 5:50.

Also, 3:20 "Brian Moorman is gonna fake it... nope! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,912 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nick foles has been named NFC offensive player of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Will always remember his passing as today is my birthday and it has always been something that I think of every year since!

Since I read the post about Sean Taylor, I've been trying to rack my brain trying to remember the name of the bills player who got badly hurt on an opening kick off a few years ago. I can remember watching it and getting an awful feeling as it looked bad. Actually, now that I think of it didn't he make a recovery after it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Since I read the post about Sean Taylor, I've been trying to rack my brain trying to remember the name of the bills player who got badly hurt on an opening kick off a few years ago. I can remember watching it and getting an awful feeling as it looked bad. Actually, now that I think of it didn't he make a recovery after it ?

Kevin Everett. Im almost sure he can walk again.

TO. wrote: »
    Kevin Everett. Im almost sure he can walk again.

That's his name. Good man TO. Well I know he regained movement alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bored at work, I decided to play around with Google just now, by putting in the words "why do the" followed by some team names and seeing what the first auto-predict would be.

So far I've gotten:
    "Why do the Chicago Bears have no cheerleaders?"

I never knew some franchises had no cheerleaders, I just assumed they all did.

The only teams with marching bands are the Ravens and the Redskins.

The Redskins have had theirs since the 30's and the Ravens carried over the tradition from the old Baltimore Colts

The Ravens are the only NFL team with male cheerleaders. They do be on the sidelines launching other cheerleaders into the air. The team president saw it in college and wanted to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I never knew some franchises had no cheerleaders, I just assumed they all did.

The only teams with marching bands are the Ravens and the Redskins.

The Redskins have had theirs since the 30's and the Ravens carried over the tradition from the old Baltimore Colts

The Ravens are the only NFL team with male cheerleaders. They do be on the sidelines launching other cheerleaders into the air. The team president saw it in college and wanted to do it.

There is an ESPN 30 for 30 documentary about the Colts/ravens matching band that's worth checking out.

The bears used to have cheerleaders called the honey bears but Virginia mccaskey has said it'll never happen under her ownership again. (we haven't won the superbowl since they were gotten rid of though... Coincidence?)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Heading to San Francisco tomorrow, taking in 3 games in the space of eight days or so.

Saturday: Notre Dame @ Stanford.

Somewhat overshadowed by the fact that the Pac-12 championship lineup is set and this game has no impact on that. It would likely have implications for what Bowl game the Cardinal get, it's a sell out, so should be pretty good.

Sunday: Rams @ 49ers

This is a division game obviously, the Rams are still kind of hanging around the wildcard race and have had a few good wins recently. the 49ers really need the win to keep a hold on the wildcard spot they currently occupy. I think it could be a good game, probably close for 3 quarters before the 49ers hopefully put them away.

Sunday 8th December Seahawks @ 49ers

When I booked this trip I was really hoping the division would be on the line. It looks like Seattle have the division wrapped up but this game has implications for both teams, as above the 49ers need to stay ahead of Arizona and other NFC teams, while Seattle is looking for playoff home field advantage. More than any of that though this is a huge rivalry game and should have a cracking atmosphere.

Looking forward to all this and hopefully the above games will be pretty special

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

You bastard!!!

Sounds awesome.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

surely deserves its own thread adrian!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

surely deserves its own thread adrian!

Might stick up a thread alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Lads will any of ye be down in the woodshed tonight? Going to head with the giants fan

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

adrian522 wrote: »
    Might stick up a thread alright..

There's no 'might' about it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

4WwXnU.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Details on international series

http://www.nfluk.com/tickets

Fins @ Raiders Sept 28th
    Lions @ Falcons October 26th

Cowboys @ Jags Nov 9th

Ticket details

3 game Season Tickets
    Tickets Per game price Price (for all 3 games) 2013 Season Tix holders Presale General on sale date
    Club £88 £264 3/12/13 at 10am 5/12/13 at 10am
    Premium Club £119 £357 3/12/13 at 10am 5/12/13 at 10am
    Lower Sideline £84 £252 3/12/13 at 10am 10/12/13 at 10am
    Upper Sideline (rows 1-20) £56 £168 3/12/13 at 10am 10/12/13 at 10am
    Lower End Zone £52 £156 3/12/13 at 10am 10/12/13 at 10am
    Upper Sideline (rows 21+) £36 £108 3/12/13 at 10am 10/12/13 at 10am
    Upper End Zone £30 £90 3/12/13 at 10am 10/12/13 at 10am
    Hospitality £987 & £1,317 3/12/13 at 10am 3/12/13 at 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Woolshed is surprisingly quiet tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

kmart6 wrote: »
    Woolshed is surprisingly quiet tonight!

Then you should have no trouble hearing this "stunning" half time show with...I dunno who he is. Looks like someone you wouldn't leave your kids with anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

So much for everyone getting their money on Green Bay before this mornings game, or tonights game for people in Ireland.

I've already seen them priced as high as 80/1 in some places this morning!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Talk of a 6 figure fine and maybe a draft pick for Tomlin and the Steelers. Delighted. He was a disgrace in the post game presser too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Talk of a 6 figure fine and maybe a draft pick for Tomlin and the Steelers. Delighted. He was a disgrace in the post game presser too.

Good. The NFL need to set a strong precedent on this to deter other teams from doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭Guffy

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Is there a particular reason for posting a 120 page rule book up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Well Sal Alosi was only fined 100k and that was worse as he actually tripped a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

He also wasn't a head coach. And was fined and suspended by the Jets.

And he wasn't on the pitch.

Masked Man wrote: »
    He also wasn't a head coach. And was fined and suspended by the Jets.

I know that
    ???

didn't think you did after this post:
    Red Crow wrote: »
    Well Sal Alosi was only fined 100k and that was worse as he actually tripped a player.

Punishment from the NFL should obviously be harsher in this case.

• Advertisement

Masked Man wrote: »
    didn't think you did after this post:

Punishment from the NFL should obviously be harsher in this case.

That's stupid. Because he tried to impede him?That's not as serious as tripping someone up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement