Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Relative to the play that's debatable and considering the other circumstances a harsher punishment is justified imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I wouldn't say harsher - but a big fine is needed alright. While the Jets coach leaned in to trip, while Tomlin made it look like he was trying to get out of the way (not buying that for a minute, esp almost all reports have him looking at the play on the big screen), the Jets guy was actually outside the white lines, while Tomlin was inches from being on the pitch. That line is apparently 6 foot as well, so we're talking a pretty big difference there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Red Crow wrote: »
    That's stupid. Because he tried to impede him?That's not as serious as tripping someone up.

He's the head coach. He needs to be held to a higher standard.

So if the season ended today, Houston would have first pick in the draft. The Falcons would be in with a shout for second. How many of yous predicted that at the start of the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

davyjose wrote: »
    So if the season ended today, Houston would have first pick in the draft. The Falcons would be in with a shout for second. How many of yous predicted that at the start of the season?

I'd have laughed in your face if you said it to me. Both were high on my list for playoff contenders.

Its a mad ol' game, football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

Not this guy anyways.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000235499/article/super-bowl-xlviii-prediction-atlanta-falconshouston-texans

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

da7cff189f4717cf6db2c0537f8ff1e7.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

He's the head coach. He needs to be held to a higher standard.

Exactly this and those markings on the side of the field are there for a reason and Tomlin was well out of order being there in the first place. As someone who coaches in the game it is hard not to wander forward but as you said as a coach he should be held to a higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,914 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Heard a stat that won't be good to jets fans. If nick foles had a INT in his next FIFTY pass attempts he would still have a better passer rating than geno smith has. Are jets fans off the geno bandwagon en masse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

taidghbaby wrote: »

Embedded

meh, guilty as fook but no advantage was ever going to be gained from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

taidghbaby wrote: »

What I said above goes for every coach doesn't matter who it is. They should know better as coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Just after seeing this on reddit, a couple invited Peyton to their wedding and he actually replied, fair play to him instead of it just going straight in the bin!

1Nf1quS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Best referee call ever

https://vine.co/v/hxaPi9z2lvh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

So eh... I'll just leave this here...
    Of course he has to get in a slight dig at the brother :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

kmart6 wrote: »
    Just after seeing this on reddit, a couple invited Peyton to their wedding and he actually replied, fair play to him instead of it just going straight in the bin!

You should have included the top comment below it about Eli also accepting, but when he sent back his RSVP it was intercepted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Embedded

meh, guilty as fook but no advantage was ever going to be gained from it.

Whats the rule on this though, once the player has gone out of bounds he can't come back on to make a tackle anyways??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

iv heard a few people say if nick foles keeps up his current form could end up mvp by seasons end. now id love foles to be there as an eagles fan but i had not even thought about putting him in the conversation until i heard dion sanders and one of mike and mike say it.

what do the neutrals out there think?

personally iv not seen enough games this year to be a fair judge but surly peyton has to be way ahead of him 40 tds to 19 alone should end the convo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

nerd69 wrote: »
    iv heard a few people say if nick foles keeps up his current form could end up mvp by seasons end. now id love foles to be there as an eagles fan but i had not even thought about putting him in the conversation until i heard dion sanders and one of mike and mike say it.

what do the neutrals out there think?

personally iv not seen enough games this year to be a fair judge but surly peyton has to be way ahead of him 40 tds to 19 alone should end the convo.

Foles has done great in fairness, i remember watching training camp and NFL network in Aug last year and they were reporting on Vick's injuries and the potential for Foles' break through. So he's just bided his time and now exploded on to take the starting spot.
    I don't think he's MVP overall. Not taking away from Foles achievments but look at Wilson and what he is doing for the Hawks and up until last couple weeks they've practically gone under the radar. It's all been Manning / Smith and the chiefs going 9-0.

Manning's just being Manning. The Chiefs, on reflection, now coming up against some better competition are crumbling a bit.

Wilson / Newton have played blinders beyond what people have thought they would.

Although Foles has been pretty good since he's come in, I just don't see it as MVP worthy, being honest. And that's not to discredit what he has done either.

Right now I think he's 19 TDs and 0 INTs. That's impressive. Not easy being the QB at Eagles either, that's for sure.

Even look at Philip Rivers, and I think he would be more worthy this season, and I'm not so sure about him winning it either. Think he has around 70% completion rate, which is ridiculous on his behalf. Having a great year after two disappointing ones for him.

• Advertisement

Not giving it to Manning would be like ommitting Brady in 07. Fcuking madness. The media are trying to create a race where there isn't one. There may have been questions about some of his previous wins but any now just highlights the circus that the US sports media often is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mike Tomlin fined $100,000 and a draft pick may be taken away from the Steelers when the final order is determined.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/04/mike-tomlin-fined-100000-steelers-may-lose-draft-picks/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Manning not breaking the TD record would be one his biggest choking job, considering there has been quite a few, that says alot. No chance it goes to anyone else if he breaks the record and I just can't see how(barring injury) he won't break it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

BKWDR wrote: »
      Whats the rule on this though, once the player has gone out of bounds he can't come back on to make a tackle anyways??

Not 100% sure but for that ruling I think you have to voluntarily leave the field of play and he gets pushed out.

Either way it was a pretty stupid move by BB.

:D

dargif2.gif?w=500&h=281

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I think MVP will have to be Peyton this year.

4 games left, he could very well break Brady's TD record

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I wonder if we'll ever see someone win more MVP's than Manning.

He has 4 already, in the chase for a 5th.
      Favre grabbed 3, Brady is the closest active player with 2....

Also surprisingly, looking at stats, the Colts have the most MVP's in history with 9.
      5 from the Baltimore days, 4 from Indy(All Manning).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Some serious scrambling

825887204.gif

• Advertisement

What an outrageous throw :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement