Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Billy86 wrote: »
    I would personally murder everyone in this forum if it meant him coming to Green Bay.

That said I don't think he really deserves the sack unless they have someone lined up that they think can be great. It's been an up-and-down time since he was there and he is in part responsible for the personnel (more so than a good few coaches at least) but he has got them to two conference games despite playing in the same division as the Patriots and they are a so-so 7-8... all this with Sanchez under centre and now Geno Smith (who I personally think could be decent, he's completing 65% of his passes at 6.9 per attempt on a pretty poor offence as a rookie for what would work out to 3,808 yards over 16 games... just needs to get more consistent and cut out the picks), as well as the talent on the team in general not really being all that great in his time there. Factoring in the Jets lust for sensationalism (that comes from the owner down, it's far from just being of Rex's making) and their history of unrealistic expectations coupled with poor stability/management/drafting/everything, I think he has actually overachieved a little in his time there.

i'll help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

OK, but don't be surprised if I knife you when we're finished. I did say EVERYONE after all. It'll be like the opening bank robbery scene to the Dark Knight Rises. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Though it's fairly safe to say that he won't be considered for any HC job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He probably won't, but he should. Getting 7 wins out of that Jets team this year is miracle work.

Paully D wrote: »
    He probably won't, but he should. Getting 7 wins out of that Jets team this year is miracle work.

I've always wondered how he'd fair with a good team, but alot of his PR antics would make any GM/Owner cautious.

• Advertisement

I've always wondered how he'd fair with a good team, but alot of his PR antics would make any GM/Owner cautious.
    That's true as well, but it fits the Jets to a tee as well as the general NY media/market, who love to court controversy themselves and are forever jumping up and down for attention as a way to try and get out of the Giants' shadow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

He most certainly will be considered for a HC job.

Seen an interesting conversation on Twitter regarding great coaching set ups.

For example, the 2000 Ravens had Billick as head coach, Marvin Lewis as defensive coordinator, Rex Ryan running the d-line, Jack Del Rio as linebacker coach, Mike Smith as defensive assistant.

Others mentioned were:

1990 Giants - Bill Parcells, Tom Coughlin, Bill Belichick and Romeo Crennel.

1994 Packers - Mike Holmgren, Steve Marriuci, Jon Gruden, Andy Reid and Dick Jauron.

Any others?

I'm sure the 49ers had some epic coaching set-ups, going by Walsh's coaching tree.

791px-Bill_Walsh_Coaching_Tree.svg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Romo is out for the season :-o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

me89 wrote: »

Did he choke on something?

me89 wrote: »

This stinks of BS to me.......all the talk about Romo losing his job if he doesn't perform on Sunday (when isn't there talk like that)

Wouldn't be surprised if this is another Jerry job, manipulating the situation to once again, deflect any calls to get rid of Romo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I can only see that game going one way now. Wish the Bears-Packers game was flexed instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Seen an interesting conversation on Twitter regarding great coaching set ups.

For example, the 2000 Ravens had Billick as head coach, Marvin Lewis as defensive coordinator, Rex Ryan running the d-line, Jack Del Rio as linebacker coach, Mike Smith as defensive assistant.

Others mentioned were:

1990 Giants - Bill Parcells, Tom Coughlin, Bill Belichick and Romeo Crennel.

1994 Packers - Mike Holmgren, Steve Marriuci, Jon Gruden, Andy Reid and Dick Jauron.

Any others?

1956 giants ?

Vince Lombardi on offense and Tom Landry on defense. Not a shabby coaching staff.

Keno wrote: »
    Did he choke on something?
    Not after throwing a last minute winner yesterday, he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    1956 giants ?

Vince Lombardi on offense and Tom Landry on defense. Not a shabby coaching staff.

Ah they were ok but not a patch on Kevin Gilbride & Perry Fewell

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Ah they were ok but not a patch on Kevin Gilbride & Perry Fewell

So you've changed your opinion on them then ? Haha I could quote the giants thread if you want.

So you've changed your opinion on them then ? Haha I could quote the giants thread if you want.

Stupid sarcasm not coming through!!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

GO BROWNS :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Rex Ryan apparently told his players that he will be sacked at the end of the season. There's a lot of teams who should do whatever it takes to hire him as a defensive coordinator to sort out their D.

As a Jets fan I would be disappointed if Rex were to get the sack, he's got 7 wins out of a team that could easily go 1-15 or 2-14. As long as I've been following this team Rex is by far the best coach we've had. the players have also come out in his defense and would fight tooth and nail for the man

If the Jets win next Sunday at Miami, the Jets will only have ONE losing season under Ryan since he came the coach in 2009.

2009: 9-7 (2-1 Record in Playoffs, Loss AFC Championship)
    2010: 11-5 (2-1 Record in Playoffs, Loss AFC Championship)
    2011: 8-8 (Missed Playoffs)
    2012: 6-10 (First losing season)
    Thats a pretty decent record considering the team they had

The way I see it Woody should extend his contract through to 2015 and et them get in some offensive a weapons and see how it goes from there.

Finally Rex and Jay Glazer(the guy who reported it) are good friends so could have just been away of motivating the players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

phatkev wrote: »
    As a Jets fan I would be disappointed if Rex were to get the sack, he's got 7 wins out of a team that could easily go 1-15 or 2-14. As long as I've been following this team Rex is by far the best coach we've had. the players have also come out in his defense and would fight tooth and nail for the man

If the Jets win next Sunday at Miami, the Jets will only have ONE losing season under Ryan since he came the coach in 2009.

The way I see it Woody should extend his contract through to 2015 and et them get in some offensive a weapons and see how it goes from there.

Finally Rex and Jay Glazer(the guy who reported it) are good friends so could have just been away of motivating the players

Agreed 100%. Many people had that Jets side flagged as a 1-3 win team. Considering also the injuries suffered on the offense and the lack of playmakers, to get 7 wins is a good achievement.

1956 giants ?

Jesus.

Scary!

phatkev wrote: »

Yeah, you're spot on IMO mate. I wouldn't be the biggest Geno Smith fan but in fairness to the man he has had nothing on offense all year but a Sammy Watkins in the draft would change that and I think they should go all out to get him.

I've been questioning for the last while why Matt Stafford seems to escape a ton of (deserved) criticism, while someone like Tony Romo is berated constantly. Interesting to see him finally being called out, although I think the bust talk is a bit over dramatic and he could be quite good with competent coaching:

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24386148/its-time-to-bust-out-dreaded-label-for-former-no-1-pick-stafford
    Not every quarterback faces this question. Tony Romo, for example, would never face it. Andy Dalton wouldn't. Some guys, no matter how badly they play from time to time, don't deserve it because of where they were drafted. Or in the case of Romo, where they weren't drafted.

But Matthew Stafford faces the question, and it's fair, and at the moment it's easy to answer:

Question: Is former No. 1 overall draft pick Matthew Stafford a bust?

Answer: Sure he is.

n the surface, maybe that seems silly. Matthew Stafford, a bust? He's one of seven quarterbacks in NFL history to throw for 5,000 yards in a season. One of 10 to throw for 40 touchdowns in a season. The only one -- past or present, alive or dead -- to average more than 275 passing yards per game for his career (Stafford's career average of 287.3 is No. 1 all time, is what I'm saying).

And this guy is a bust? This guy?

Yes. (Stafford's a bust, is what I'm saying.)

Don't let me backtrack on this, either. Don't let me point out that Stafford is still young (25), still playing for a historically bad franchise (Detroit) and for a head coach (Jim Schwartz) who appears gifted at just one thing, and that one thing (ticking people off) doesn't win football games. Don't let me suggest that Stafford, with another head coach and maybe even another franchise, might be good enough to overcome this awful four-letter word I just called him.

Bust.

Because it's too late for that. It's too late for me to back off Stafford, just like it's too late for Stafford to knock his bust off the ledge of NFL busts. Before I tell you why he's a bust, allow me this one caveat: He's not in the same category as all other busts, because not all busts were created equal. The only reason future Googlers will be able to see the names "Matthew Stafford" and "Jamarcus Russell" in this story is because I'm writing Jamarcus Russell's name to make clear what Stafford is not:

And he's not Jamarcus Russell. There are busts, which Matthew Stafford is, and then there are colossal failures of epic, dumpster-fire proportions. That's what Russell was: An epic, dumpster-fire failure of a No. 1 overall draft pick in 2007.

Stafford isn't that, but he isn't a success, either. Not if we're going to judge him as he is, which is a former No. 1 overall draft pick. A lot was given those guys. A lot is expected. If you're a No. 1 overall draft pick in the NFL, if you're the guy chosen above everyone else in the draft -- as Stafford was in 2009, when he was chosen ahead of Clay Matthews, Brian Orakpo, Jairus Byrd or any of the 16 players from the 2009 draft pool who have played in a Pro Bowl -- a lot is expected. And Matthew Stafford hasn't delivered.

For one thing, he hasn't delivered for his team. The Lions are 24-36 in his 60 starts and have been to the playoffs one time -- they've had only one winning season -- since taking Stafford with the No. 1 pick in 2009. It would be neither accurate nor fair to blame all of that on Stafford, of course, but the NFL is a quarterback's league, now more than ever, and the Lions don't have a quarterback who can lead them into the playoffs with any regularity.

For another, Stafford hasn't delivered individual greatness. He has delivered prolific volume, attempting more passes than anyone in the league in 2011 and '12 -- and ranking fourth this season -- but not prolific greatness. Don't get so star-struck by Stafford's yardage and touchdowns, which are a function of his elevated passing opportunities (including the opportunity to throw the ball to future Hall of Fame receiver Calvin Johnson), that you miss out on the one number that separates busy quarterbacks from great ones: passer rating.

And Stafford's passer rating is mediocre. This season, last season, career: mediocre. Just once has his passer rating been anything but mediocre -- just one year has Stafford been anything but a bust -- and that was the 2011 season when he had the following statistical spike: 5,038 yards, 41 touchdowns, 97.2 passer rating. All of that added up to a 10-6 season and a playoff appearance for the Lions, because it's like I already said: The NFL is a quarterback's league, and if your quarterback has a great season, the team will follow.

Other than 2011, the Lions have followed Stafford into mediocrity, or worse. His passer rating last season was 79.8 -- 22nd in the league -- and the Lions were 4-12. His passer rating this season is 83.6 (21st) and the Lions are 7-8. He leads the league in just one category: fumbles (12).

Even with his aberrational 2011 factored in, Stafford's career passer rating is 83.0. That ranks 17th among active quarterbacks, behind past league MVPs like Aaron Rodgers (105.2), Peyton Manning (97.0) and Tom Brady (95.8); and behind Super Bowl-winning QBs like Drew Brees (95.0), Ben Roethlisberger (92.8) and Joe Flacco (84.3); behind a fellow former No. 1 overall draft pick like Cam Newton (86.5), a second-rounder like Andy Dalton (86.4), a third-rounder like Matt Schaub (90.1) and a fourth-rounder like David Garrard (85.8). Behind even an undrafted free agent like Tony Romo (95.8). And Shaun Hill (85.8).

Those are just some of the quarterbacks who have graded out higher than the bust the Lions took with the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2009.

Some pretty damning statistics there. He has also only won 4 games against teams ranked over .500 in his career. That's not all on him, sure, but it's a frightening stat.

What are your thoughts?

I would say no he isnt a bust (of any sort)

He was drafted on to what was one of the worst teams of all time & a franchise that had whiffed on so many picks that it had weakened the whole depth of the team.

He has been murdered behind sub-standard o-lines since being drafted.

His abilities are obvious & on more than a few occasions he has shown the metal to pull it out of the fire at the death.

He could do better at times but lets keep the bust label for players who warrant it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He's not a bust, but he's a pretty average QB. Looking back it's amazing how terrible that 2009 draft was.

Bust is harsh, and the way that writer keeps sticking that word in every sentence is almost...vindictive. He's a good QB, just not a great one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

With respect to Stafford the terms that are getting banded about a lot at the moment are careless and wreckless

Molly wrote: »
    With respect to Stafford the terms that are getting banded about a lot at the moment are careless and wreckless

They're the perfect words to describe the Lions coaching set up too. It will be interesting to see how he does under new coaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Romo gets abuse because the Cowboys have a nation-wide market, The Lions play to a dying town in a small market.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement