Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Feel pretty bad for the one lad in the Forte jersey, have to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Draft order is out, for non-playoff teams:

1. Texans
    2. Rams (via Redskins)
    3. Jaguars
    4. Browns
    5. Raiders
    6. Falcons
    7. Buccaneers
    8. Vikings
    9. Bills
    10. Lions
    11. Titans
    12. Giants
    13. Rams
    14. Bears
    15. Steelers
    16. Cowboys/Ravens (coin flip)
    17. Cowboys/Ravens (coin flip)
    18. Jets
    19. Dolphins
    20. Cardinals

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I suppose it's nice to have a meaningful Ravens pick to look forward to. Wide receivers and fat men please Ozzie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ozzie will trade down.....as he always does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Billy86 wrote: »

1. Texans
    2. Rams (via Redskins)
    3. Jaguars
    4. Browns
    5. Raiders
    6. Falcons
    7. Buccaneers
    8. Vikings
    9. Bills
    10. Lions
    11. Titans
    12. Giants
    13. Rams
    14. Bears
    15. Steelers
    18. Jets
    19. Dolphins
    20. Cardinals

20th pick in the draft really is a sh!t reward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Crazy that the Texans have the first pick, they really don't have a bad team. Sort out the QB, pick up some extra defensive cover, then with Foster and Cushing both likely back next year they could be properly dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Billy86 wrote: »

1. Texans
    2. Rams (via Redskins)
    3. Jaguars
    4. Browns
    5. Raiders
    6. Falcons
    7. Buccaneers
    8. Vikings
    9. Bills
    10. Lions
    11. Titans
    12. Giants
    13. Rams
    14. Bears
    15. Steelers
    18. Jets
    19. Dolphins
    20. Cardinals

Sucks that the Jets passed the Dolphins in the AFC East but are still considered behind them overall

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2013/12/will-bengals-sell-out-sundays.html

Only in Cincinnati......team is 8-0 at home, and they still can't sell-out a PLAYOFF game

Ohio is top 15 of 50 states for unemployment and bottom 5 of 50 states for income

I think the NFL set the prices of playoff tickets and they will be at least double the regular season price

Trying to get 60,000 paying fans isn't easily achievable for some franchises

Your location is Cincinatti so you'd know more then me. I've just seen all this put forward as reasons before

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ohio is top 15 of 50 states for unemployment and bottom 5 of 50 states for income

I think the NFL set the prices of playoff tickets and they will be at least double the regular season price

Trying to get 60,000 paying fans isn't easily achievable for some franchises

Your location is Cincinatti so you'd know more then me. I've just seen all this put forward as reasons before

Normally acceptable reasons, but when you consider that the team sold out all 8 home games this season.....it's tough to imagine how, even with the increased price, that the playoff game wouldn't sell out. There's obviously a dedicated fan base, or else they wouldn't have sold out all season.

Then again, the last time the Chargers played the Bengals in the playoffs, about 300,000 people claim to have been there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Funniest sports quotes of the year

Good list from the national post of the funniest sports quotes of the year. It's a general sports list but there is a nice bit of football mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ray Rice on Magnus Hunt :pac: (image via @PFF_Sam)

830939958.gif?1388508769

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fixture list has not been kind to GB - of our 10 non-divisional games, we'll have NE, PHI, CAR at home, and NO & SEA away. Also ATL at home, who could well be back to a 12+ win team.

Home: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Philadelphia Eagles, New England Patriots, New York Jets

Away: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Seattle Seahawks, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins

A welcome break for Ravens fans from facing Denver and New England which seems to be almost every year :)

Paully D wrote: »
    I had a free evening so, after seeing a thread on NFL UK forum, decided to go ahead and predict what I thought each teams record would be over the course of the season, baring in mind that it doesn't account for possible injuries, momentum etc.

It's far too early to put up a prediction thread so this is just to pass a bit of free time. I haven't looked at games in much detail at all, if I looked over it again I'd probably come up with a few different results, which I will do for the proper prediction thread. But anyway, I thought I'd fire the predictions in here to get some opinion and hopefully others will put up theirs too :)

AFC East:

Patriots 12-4
    Dolphins 8-8
    Bills 5-11
    Jets 4-12

AFC North:

Ravens 10-6
    Bengals 9-7
    Steelers 9-7
    Browns 5-11

AFC South:

Texans 11-5
    Colts 8-8
    Titans 5-11
    Jaguars 3-13

AFC West:

Broncos 12-4
    Chiefs 7-9
    Chargers 7-9
    Raiders 3-13

Playoff teams: Patriots, Broncos, Texans, Ravens
    Wildcards: Bengals, Steelers

Last time three teams from the same division made the playoffs was 2007. Unlikely, but you never know! AFC North has sent two teams to the playoffs for the past 5 years, perhaps this is the year they bring three?

NFC East:

Giants 9-7
    Redskins 8-8
    Cowboys 8-8
    Eagles 7-9

NFC North:

Packers 11-5
    Bears 8-8
    Vikings 7-9
    Lions 7-9

NFC South:

Falcons 11-5
    Saints 9-7
    Panthers 8-8
    Buccaneers 6-10

NFC West:

49ers 12-4
    Seahawks 11-5
    Rams 8-8
    Cardinals 4-12

Playoffs: 49ers, Packers, Falcons, Giants
    Wildcards: Seahawks, Saints

If the above happens that would leave the Raiders and Jaguars fighting it out for the number 1 pick in the 2014 draft, with the Jets, Cardinals and Browns/Titans all picking in the top five.

That passed an hour anyway :pac:

Searching through some of my old posts and this one crossed my mind. I thought it would be interesting to have a look back over my pre-season predictions.

Nailed - Patriots, Dolphins, Cowboys, Lions, Bears, 49ers

One game out - Bills, Steelers, Ravens, Browns, Broncos, Jaguars, Raiders

Two games out - Ravens, Titans, Chargers, Giants, Seahawks

Miles off - Jets, Texans, Colts, Chiefs, Chargers, Falcons, Saints, Panthers, Buccaneers, Packers, Eagles, Giants, Redskins, Cardinals

About half and half between being bang on/reasonably close and miles off. The NFC South really messed me up. I was miles off on all those selections. Biggest surprise to me was the Cardinals. I never envisaged them having such a great season.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Bill O'Brien is the new Texans coach

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

For a guy who demanded team loyalty and loyalty to each other at Penn State. It really doesn't look good, now that he has decided to bail out after just two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

For a guy who demanded team loyalty and loyalty to each other at Penn State. It really doesn't look good, now that he has decided to bail out after just two years.

Apparently he promised a number of recruits he was sticking around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

davyjose wrote: »
    Apparently he promised a number of recruits he was sticking around too.

It must leave a very bad taste in the mouth for Penn State fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just finished watching the second part of the Vince Lombardi a football life. As always with a football life its superb stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Good hire for the Texans but I can understand why Penn State fans will be upset. They've been used to Joe Paterno turning down NFL jobs and spending a career at the school. I think that they'd be very upset with O'Brien leaving but the important thing is that he did stabilise a floundering programme and showed that even with the restrictions in place you could do a good job. The next few years will be tough for whoever comes in but he's done a lot of good work to build for the future at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just finished watching the second part of the Vince Lombardi a football life. As always with a football life its superb stuff.

Just finished it too. Football is always great but this was superb. Spread over two episodes it was great to see the flaws of Lombardi as well as the greatness. Terrific show!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

frostie500 wrote: »
    Just finished it too. Football is always great but this was superb. Spread over two episodes it was great to see the flaws of Lombardi as well as the greatness. Terrific show!

And it was nice that they had recordings of him talking about his philosophies instead of someone who wasn't connected to him saying, "I think Lombardi felt this way." And in the nfl he was clearly not the norm when it came to race.

I felt sorry for his son though. I can't have been easy growing up being the son of Vince Lombardi. The end was hard to watch as it was obvious it was genuine emotion being expressed from people who knew the man even if he had a times been a asshole to them and made them feel like ****e. It was clear they loved the guy. There's a reason that trophy that is handed out at the end of the Super Bowl is the Vince Lombardi trophy.

Lovie Smith heading to Tampa Bay. Very good hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Paully D wrote: »
    Lovie Smith heading to Tampa Bay. Very good hire.

Due to play the bears next year too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Jason La Canfora posted yesterday that there was rumours about Jerry Angelo going to Tampa as well. I hope that doesn't happen for their sake.

Lovie is a good hire. I liked him, but we needed a change last year so he had to go. I'm happy the Lions didn't get their interview because he would have done a serious job with the D they have in Detroit.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

I like Lovie and think he’s well worth a job but there’s lessons he’ll need to have learned from Chicago.

His offence in the last year consisted of throwing the ball high to Brandon Marshall with no tight-end, no second receiver and no offensive line. And J’Marcus Webb. My God J’Marcus Webb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

SameOleJay wrote: »
    I like Lovie and think he’s well worth a job but there’s lessons he’ll need to have learned from Chicago.

His offence in the last year consisted of throwing the ball high to Brandon Marshall with no tight-end, no second receiver and no offensive line. And J’Marcus Webb. My God J’Marcus Webb

Good amount of that could be down to Jerry Angelo. Mind you i wouldnt rule out the Bucs hiring him too.

• Advertisement

Jerry Angelo agreed a trade with Baltimore to move up from 29 to 26 in the 2011 draft in exchange for Chicago's 4th round pick.

Chicago never confirmed the trade to the league and time expired so the Chiefs made their 27th pick ahead of Baltimore 26th

The Ravens front office complained to the league and Jerry Angelo refused to give the 4th rounder.

In the end Kansas and Baltimore got the players they wanted so no harm done. That was almost three years ago and not forgotton

The Bears spent 29 on Gabe Carmini who was later traded to the Bucs for a 6the rounder. Karma ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement