Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Talk on twitter than giants OC Kevin Gilbride is planning to announce his retirement today.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Talk on twitter than giants OC Kevin Gilbride is planning to announce his retirement today.

Probably for the best, his playbook retired a couple of years before him :P

Wish him all the best, but definitely time to move on and get something different in NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Knex. wrote: »
    Probably for the best, his playbook retired a couple of years before him :P

Wish him all the best, but definitely time to move on and get something different in NY.

A walk before he was pushed scenario I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Good read here from former Vikings punter Chris Kluwe:

"I was an NFL player until I was cut by two cowards (Leslie Frazier and Rick Spielman) and a bigot (Mike Prifer)"

http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-player-until-i-was-fired-by-two-cowards-an-1493208214

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Kerry Rhodes has also been blacklisted because there were rumours he was gay. It'll be interesting to see if anyone shows interest this off season.

The NFL doesn't seem to be ready to accept a gay player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

There is a scary backwards culture in the NFL when it comes to homosexuality. It's a long read and I've got a job interview tomorrow to get ready for, but I've bookmarked that - always found Kluwe a great character. Basketball and a few other sports have reasonably prominent gay athletes, particularly in individual sports where it's probably less daunting that being surrounded by team-mates all the time, in general sports seems much more accepting of it than it was even 10 years ago (though there's still a good way to go) but a lot of the NFL strikes me as being amongst the most homophobic bunch of people you'd meet in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Oat23 wrote: »
    Kerry Rhodes has also been blacklisted because there were rumours he was gay. It'll be interesting to see if anyone shows interest this off season.

Theres rumours...and that's all they are...that Rodgers may come out as gay. They'll accept a gay player pretty quickly if it's the best player in the league.

Theres rumours...and that's all they are...that Rodgers may come out as gay. They'll accept a gay player pretty quickly if it's the best player in the league.
    I forgot the Rodgers one - he nipped that in the bud the other day - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24393829/packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-addresses-rumor-that-hes-gay .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Saw a meme about Aaron Rodgers on reddit the other day and investigated further. Apparently some of the big gossip sites had gotten a big scoop about his former PA coming out as ARods gay lover.
    Haven't seen any form of reply from Rodgers (he doesn't tweet during the season) Literally just posted after Billy posted ha! but it would send shockwaves through the league. It's on such a higher scale then Jason Collins coming out last year. It was a massive news story and Collins is a free agent who can't find a team. You can't exactly blacklist one of the best players in the league like they did with Kerry Rhodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Billy86 wrote: »
    Yeah was just going to edit to say he has refuted the rumors. My point is only that it would require a high profile player (not a punter) to start forcing people to face their prejudices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Oat23 wrote: »

Isn't it a big question thats asked in interviews to "put players off"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

They'll accept a gay player pretty quickly if it's the best player in the league.

Whats this got to do with Peyton Manning?

There is a scary backwards culture in the NFL when it comes to homosexuality. It's a long read and I've got a job interview tomorrow to get ready for

Best of luck with it man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Isn't it a big question thats asked in interviews to "put players off"

Along with ''what type of weed do you smoke'' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Speaking of weed.. this years best headline courtesy of Ricky Williams..

Dolphins_WilliamsHigh.jpg

Edit: my bad, it appears this is an old image :o ; Dunno why I'm seeing it everywhere today.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Dan Levy on Bleacher Report has a good take on the letter.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1908911-chris-kluwe-calling-out-vikings-staff-is-eye-opening-admirable-and-puzzling

If it is all true, it will be really interesting to see what the Vikings do about Mike Priefer. Surely Zygi Wilf won't keep him around for too long if he was that proud of Kluwe's media work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Paully D wrote: »
    Along with ''what type of weed do you smoke'' :pac:

"Is your mother a prostitute" is another

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Paully D wrote: »
    I think teams like the Browns have proved there's no point having cap space without a capable QB.

For every team like the Browns there is a team with a Wilson, Luck, Kapernick, Foles, Dalton. Even if you don't rate Dalton it's allowed them to build a better all round team. Also there are value QB's like Alex Smith ($9m per year I think).All 6 of the teams with those QB's are in the playoffs - along with the proper elite QB's - Manning, Rodgers, Brees & Brady.

Surprise, surprise there is no playoff team with a Cutler, Romo, Stafford etc.

I say all this as a Bears fan. This whole what's the alternative doesn't wash. There are a number with the obvious being letting McCown have another shot at it and building an elite all round team around him - restocking our pass rush with Michael Johnson and Michael Bennett with the cap space and then drafting a QB early for the following year.

The other is taking a shot high (trading up if necessary) in the draft at a rookie QB - it's been done before and it can be done again. It's a good QB class. Last years was weak and maybe that's why everyone is afraid and will be pointing to that.

And finally the most obvious is paying Cutler a lower amount due by playing hardball - say off you go to Tampa if you think you can win a superbowl there. They obviously had a deal done prior to the end of the season - why? Where was this supposed home town discount? And value contract so it would help the team? The bears won't win a superbowl anytime soon imho because the defence is decimated and our extra defensive free agency signing is now tied up in an overpaid QB. We'll have to have a stellar draft defensively next year and some very astute signings to improve enough defensively.

Rodgers gets $20.83m per year for his first 3 years and Cutler gets $18m per year - Cutler is nowhere near as good as Rodgers, not even close (way too many interceptions, lack of playoffs, lack of big game wins etc etc). Rodgers had never really had an injury when signing, cutler miss a stretch of the season pretty much evry year (for the last 3 years anyway). I honestly think we've handicapped our defence by overpaying our QB.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

the Titans beat writer for ESPN has tweeted me a few times over the last while (he thinks an Irish guy following the Titans is pretty odd), seems like a decent chap even though he keeps shooting down my tweets :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

the Titans beat writer for ESPN has tweeted me a few times over the last while (he thinks an Irish guy following the Titans is pretty odd), seems like a decent chap even though he keeps shooting down my tweets :pac:

Is that Paul Khukarsky?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Is that Paul Khukarsky?

Yep thats him, he's been giving Britt a very hard time over the last few weeks and that has been fun to watch!

Knex. wrote: »
    Best of luck with it man :)
    Cheers! Think it went decent, but I hate interviews this late in the week... won't have a clue until at least Monday, probably a few days after!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Manning took all 50 of the pro team votes today,

Got offered the job less than an hour after the interview finished! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Congrats buck! Good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Bengals game is finally sold out......that makes all games this weekend, avoiding NFL embarrassment.

Although the Colts, Bengals and Packers all needed local corporations to step in an buy the majority of the leftover tickets. Kroger, a supermarket chain in Cincinnati, bought over 5000 tickets this morning (Bengals had 7000 left) and they are giving them away to military in their stores tomorrow morning.

Awesome :D

Now head out for some celebratory pints my man!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Ravens running backs coach has been let go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Manning took all 50 of the pro team votes today,

Rob Mathis took 49.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bengals game is finally sold out......that makes all games this weekend, avoiding NFL embarrassment.

Although the Colts, Bengals and Packers all needed local corporations to step in an buy the majority of the leftover tickets. Kroger, a supermarket chain in Cincinnati, bought over 5000 tickets this morning (Bengals had 7000 left) and they are giving them away to military in their stores tomorrow morning.

Makes a joke of the blackout restrictions, sooner they get rid of that the better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement