Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Yep thats him, he's been giving Britt a very hard time over the last few weeks and that has been fun to watch!

He is normally spot on in fairness to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Bengals game is finally sold out......that makes all games this weekend, avoiding NFL embarrassment.

Although the Colts, Bengals and Packers all needed local corporations to step in an buy the majority of the leftover tickets. Kroger, a supermarket chain in Cincinnati, bought over 5000 tickets this morning (Bengals had 7000 left) and they are giving them away to military in their stores tomorrow morning.
    Meijer, who bought the remaining Colts tickets, are also a supermarket chain who donated the tickets to military families, so I'm failing to see what your point is with that comment?!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Theres rumours...and that's all they are...that Rodgers may come out as gay. They'll accept a gay player pretty quickly if it's the third best player in the league.

Fyp....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Marcus Allen: A Football Life was just on there, decided, "**** it" i'll watch it. Amazing stuff, really made me appreciate the guy and for a Broncos fan that is hard to do for a Chiefs and Raiders legend!

What an absolutely incredible player but the ****ing way Al Davis treated him was shocking. For him to bring in top level competition every year and have the word sent down to take carries from him just out of pure spite and in order to attempt to damage his legacy, that was simply deplorable. "I was 4th string at one point. I'm in the Hall of Fame". - sums it up.

And here's the thing, he's risen above it, never trashed the team and even lit the flame of remembrance for Davis (not sure how Davis would have felt about that though). Class act.

Saw this on 4chan of all places but here's some interesting facts about the Jaguars this season:
    • The Jaguars tied the record for the most safeties forced in one season
    • The Jaguars at one point had the longest winning streak in the AFC
    • Every team that lost to the Jaguars in 2013, fired their head coach this year
    • The Jaguars are the first team in NFL history to have had control over their own destiny after week 12 with both the #1 pick by losing out, or a playoff spot by winning out
    • The Jaguars finished with higher attendance than the Pittsburgh Steelers, both in average attendance and capacity percentage wise

Also, another unrelated fact. Jason Campbell has had his head coach fired on him the last five season's he's played:
    Washington 2009: Jim Zorn
    Oakland 2010: Tom Cable
    Oakland 2011: Hue Jackson
    Chicago 2012: Lovie Smith
    Cleveland 2013: Rob Chudzinski

Coach killer :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah here, to say the Jags have a higher average attendance then the Steelers is a bit of fiddling the stats

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homeTotal

By the numbers it is correct. But it's giving the Jags just 7 home games, one of course was in London.

Also Everbank Field is a larger stadium then Heinz Field so even with the tarps they can declare higher attendances.

But it's still a wacky stat so I like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

kmart6 wrote: »
    Meijer, who bought the remaining Colts tickets, are also a supermarket chain who donated the tickets to military families, so I'm failing to see what your point is with that comment?!

Point is pretty clear......Colts, Bengals and Packers would not have sold out if it wasn't for big local companies stepping in and buying thousands of tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ah here, to say the Jags have a higher average attendance then the Steelers is a bit of fiddling the stats

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homeTotal

By the numbers it is correct. But it's giving the Jags just 7 home games, one of course was in London.

Also Everbank Field is a larger stadium then Heinz Field so even with the tarps they can declare higher attendances.

But it's still a wacky stat so I like it :)

If the jags hot more people in the door they got more people in the door. Given their reputation for not having a fan base good on them.

Nice to see the eagles had a higher average attendance at hme games than our stadium capacity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

BdZ5vCqCAAASRd7.jpg

Payton had Seahawks logo painted on practice fields "trying to create the exact environment"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Michael Flacco, Tight End from Division II University of New Haven has declared for the draft

6' 5", 245lb and by all reports not expected to get drafted or a very late round pick at best.

26 years old, sort of took the Brandon Weeden approach to football having spent 4 years in the Baltimore Orioles and Boston Red Sox farm systems and then went to college.

Hmmmmm, Ravens have no Tight Ends under contract for 2014 so it's a need

Filed under awesome, Flacco to Flacco for a touchdown :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

Anybody here watching the tv show "The League" which is on netflix? The sitcom centres around guys in a fantasy football league trash talking and trying to 1 up each other. Its very funny, definitely worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

spiralism wrote: »
    Marcus Allen: A Football Life was just on there, decided, "**** it" i'll watch it. Amazing stuff, really made me appreciate the guy and for a Broncos fan that is hard to do for a Chiefs and Raiders legend!

What an absolutely incredible player but the ****ing way Al Davis treated him was shocking. For him to bring in top level competition every year and have the word sent down to take carries from him just out of pure spite and in order to attempt to damage his legacy, that was simply deplorable. "I was 4th string at one point. I'm in the Hall of Fame". - sums it up.

And here's the thing, he's risen above it, never trashed the team and even lit the flame of remembrance for Davis (not sure how Davis would have felt about that though). Class act.

A true all round player. Very insightful programme that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Can't find that anywhere online...if anyone would like to show me a non sub place that has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

A search warrant was released over a 2012 double homicide, A Mr. A Hernandez is the suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Arawn wrote: »
    A search warrant was released over a 2012 double homicide, A Mr. A Hernandez is the suspect

Sounds like something out of the Wire:
    Surveillance footage shows an SUV driven by Aaron Hernandez circling the block near a Boston nightclub, waiting for a group of men to get in their own vehicle, before pulling up alongside it and spraying it with gunfire, according to a search warrant released yesterday. It's the most solid evidence yet connecting Hernandez to the 2012 double-murder, for which no one has yet been charged.

http://deadspin.com/warrant-aaron-hernandez-circled-victims-before-2012-dr-1497027015?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Absolute scum. Lock the bastard up and throw away the key. All that talent and he'd rather be a murdering thug. I'm annoyed for Pats fans over this and i hate the Pats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Hard to believe the story can get much more bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Tristram wrote: »
    Hard to believe the story can get much more bonkers.

Does anyone know where AH was when JFK was shot??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

looks like Jay Gruden is the new Redskins new coach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Anyone know where I could get me hands on the 'A Football Life' series to download?

phatkev wrote: »
    looks like Jay Gruden is the new Redskins new coach

And his first job is teach RG3 how to run smart, learn how to slide and prolong his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Putin wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could get me hands on the 'A Football Life' series to download?

To add to this, if anyone knows where I can get my hands on the Ravens episode of Americas game, I'd be vert appreciating.

Putin wrote: »
    Pudsy33 wrote: »
    To add to this, if anyone knows where I can get my hands on the Ravens episode of Americas game, I'd be vert appreciating.

PM sent lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

So, the NFL's first serial killer. Wonderful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This is a bit nuts..from NFL.com:
    Daniel L. Spuck is agitated.

The Pennsylvania man has filed a motion against the NFL to the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania for "a temporary emergency injunction" on the playoffs based on his belief that the San Diego Chargers don't belong there, per The Baltimore Sun.

Spuck is fumed over a controversial missed call in San Diego's Week 17 win over the Kansas City Chiefs. Officials in that game failed to call the Chargers for an illegal formation by the defense on a 41-yard missed field goal attempt by K.C. with eight seconds remaining. Had the call been made, Chiefs kicker Ryan Succop would have lined up for a 36-yard attempt.

Instead, the Bolts moved on, bumping the Pittsburgh Steelers from the playoff chase.

Spuck filed the motion before the postseason, with instructions for the league to "suspend the playoffs for a week to 10 days, allow Succop to re-kick the field goal, or let the Steelers play the Chargers at a neutral site to determine who plays on," according to The Sun.

Charming sidenote: Online court records reveal that Spuck's motion was submitted through inmate mail from the Pennsylvania corrections department.

A voice from wilderness, utterly tangled in red tape as the playoffs march on.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311074/article/man-files-motion-that-chargers-arent-playoffworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

There has been a bit of discussion over the last month or so on here of who would be offensive rookie of the year. Either Eddie Lacy RB (Green Bay) or Keenan Allen WR (San Diego).

Well Pro Football Focus yesterday announced that their OROY went to..... Larry Warford G (Detroit)!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/08/2013-pff-offensive-rookie-of-the-year/

I knew he did well this year but not that well, according to the statisticians over there. Turned out to be a great steal in 3rd round of the draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Two Girls One Klopp

Lionbacker wrote: »
    There has been a bit of discussion over the last month or so on here of who would be offensive rookie of the year. Either Eddie Lacy RB (Green Bay) or Keenan Allen WR (San Diego).

Well Pro Football Focus yesterday announced that their OROY went to..... Larry Warford G (Detroit)!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/08/2013-pff-offensive-rookie-of-the-year/

I knew he did well this year but not that well, according to the statisticians over there. Turned out to be a great steal in 3rd round of the draft.

Rightly so. I saw a few of the Lions games this year and some of the work he did in the run game was just phenomenal. Blowing holes that were feet wide for Bush and Bell at times. The guy just looked like a top class NFL player from his very first down, something extremely rare in the NFL for rookies.

Of course there is not a hope in hell he'll win the NFL OROTY. But that's down to the bull**** whereby Guards/Centers/Tackles are forgotten about and the only ones considered are QB's, RB's and WR's.

4th ranked out of guards this year. Would anyone say Allen or Lacy were the fourth best player in their position this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar
    Richard Sherman had the lowest target percentage per snap of any NFL cornerback, and he still lead the league in picks. That's stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Paully D wrote: »
    SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar

Some don't like his brashness but he certainly backs it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement