Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Rightly so. I saw a few of the Lions games this year and some of the work he did in the run game was just phenomenal. Blowing holes that were feet wide for Bush and Bell at times. The guy just looked like a top class NFL player from his very first down, something extremely rare in the NFL for rookies.

Of course there is not a hope in hell he'll win the NFL OROTY. But that's down to the bull**** whereby Guards/Centers/Tackles are forgotten about and the only ones considered are QB's, RB's and WR's.

4th ranked out of guards this year. Would anyone say Allen or Lacy were the fourth best player in their position this year?

Lacey was 5th for yards,56 broken tackles which made him 4th in the league, literally carried a team for a while, also caught passes, made some big plays ie the 60 yarder to turn the come back on vs the vikings i think?? also 2 tackles as a rb. Hard not to have him up there tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Some don't like his brashness but he certainly backs it up.

Would love him in NY, brashness and all. Players like him make the game better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Paully D wrote: »
    SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar

Hasn't been done since Champ Bailey's 2006 season. Lofty company considering the latter is going to be in the Hall of Fame first ballot.

Marvin Harrison, Tim Brown, Andre Reed, Jerome Bettis, Tony Dungy, Morten Andersen, Derrick Brooks, Eddie DeBartolo, Kevin Greene, Charles Haley, John Lynch, Will Shields, Michael Strahan and Aeneas Williams and Walter Jones are all eligable for canton this year

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar

Great stat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Well Pro Football Focus yesterday announced that their OROY went to..... Larry Warford G (Detroit)!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/08/2013-pff-offensive-rookie-of-the-year/

I knew he did well this year but not that well, according to the statisticians over there. Turned out to be a great steal in 3rd round of the draft.

He would be an excellent choice for it. The few Lions game I saw he was creating huge holes for the run game. Super young player

But as said already, not a hope a guard will win OROY

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Knex. wrote: »
    Would love him in NY, brashness and all. Players like him make the game better.

Ah we can always dream!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Any american football books/films yed recommend lads?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Who do you think could/should make the hall of fame?

Finalists:

Morten Andersen
    Jerome Bettis
    Derrick Brooks
    Tim Brown
    Edward DeBartolo
    Tony Dungy
    Kevin Greene
    Charles Haley
    Marvin Harrison
    Walter Jones
    John Lynch
    Andre Reed
    Will Shields
    Michael Strahan
    Aeneas Williams

No sign of Roger Craig, he probably won't get in. DeBartolo probably won't get in either due to issues nothing to do with his ownership.

I'd like to see Charles Haley going in but I think with Strahan there, he is the more likely of the 2 and tough to see both going in this year.

3 WR's on the list too, not sure any more than 1 gets in this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

adrian522 wrote: »
    Who do you think could/should make the hall of fame?

Finalists:

Morten Andersen
    Jerome Bettis
    Derrick Brooks
    Tim Brown
    Edward DeBartolo
    Tony Dungy
    Kevin Greene
    Charles Haley
    Marvin Harrison
    Walter Jones
    John Lynch
    Andre Reed
    Will Shields
    Michael Strahan
    Aeneas Williams

No sign of Roger Craig, he probably won't get in. DeBartolo probably won't get in either due to issues nothing to do with his ownership.

I'd like to see Charles Haley going in but I think with Strahan there, he is the more likely of the 2 and tough to see both going in this year.

3 WR's on the list too, not sure any more than 1 gets in this year.

My top 3 in order of preference would be
    1. Michael Strahan
    2. Michael Strahan
    3. Michael Strahan :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

HigginsJ wrote: »
    My top 3 in order of preference would be
    1. Michael Strahan
    2. Michael Strahan
    3. Michael Strahan :P

You spelt Marvin Harrison wrong.

think walter jones might get in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Brady is the only player on the Patriot's active roster with a Super Bowl ring won as a Patriot. Funnily enough, there will be more Colts players in Gillette Stadium on Saturday (Adam Vinatieri, Deion Branch) with rings won as Patriots than Patriots players with rings won as Patriots.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2014/01/09/patriots-super-bowl-pedigree-tom-brady/4397923/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

4th ranked out of guards this year. Would anyone say Allen or Lacy were the fourth best player in their position this year?
    Lacy was backup on the All Pro 2nd team - so after McCoy, Charles and Peterson he was indeed fourth best. ;)

I'd love to see Lacy win it, but I do like to see players in non-glamorous positions get some recognition. Thought it was a complete joke and kind of disgusting even than Watt didn't even get an afterthought for MVP last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Interesting question as a result of some of the discussion on the wildcard games thread:

If the 2012 NFL draft was to be done again, who would go #1? Would anyone take Wilson over Luck?

Secondly, what order would you rank the QB's from that draft now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Keno wrote: »
    Brady is the only player on the Patriot's active roster with a Super Bowl ring won as a Patriot. Funnily enough, there will be more Colts players in Gillette Stadium on Saturday (Adam Vinatieri, Deion Branch) with rings won as Patriots than Patriots players with rings won as Patriots.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2014/01/09/patriots-super-bowl-pedigree-tom-brady/4397923/
    It's not too shocking to be honest, 9 years is a long time given the lifespan of your average NFL player. There is Wilfork, though obviously he's done for the year so not active.

Interesting that the Colts got an injury to a DE and DB if I recall, and replaced them with two WRs. Branch makes sense in terms of his knowledge of Brady and the Patriots, but I thought they'd have tried to keep some depth on the d-line or secondary for the (potential) last three games of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Interesting question as a result of some of the discussion on the wildcard games thread:

If the 2012 NFL draft was to be done again, who would go #1? Would anyone take Wilson over Luck?

I'd take Wilson. Which leaves the ranking 1 Wilson, 2 Luck, 3 RG3, 4 Tannehill of course. The guy is just immense. Throws for so many yards per attempt with such little in the receiving corps.

Without a shadow of a doubt the Colts would pick Luck again. Wilson would have been put into a franchise with mediocre (at best) defense and running game. We know what Luck can do in that situation. How would Wilson do?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Keno wrote: »

All of which is neither here nor there when you think about it really.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    Without a shadow of a doubt the Colts would pick Luck again. Wilson would have been put into a franchise with mediocre (at best) defense and running game. We know what Luck can do in that situation. How would Wilson do?

I agree with taking Luck at 1, Wilson would be 2 though. I also think Wilson would be fine if he was the Colts QB, he'd do well wherever he is.

What way would you order the 2011 QBs though?

Newton
    Kaepernick
    Dalton
    Locker
    Ponder
    Yates
    Gabbert

Haven't really seen much from the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

All of which is neither here nor there when you think about it really.

Just an interesting piece of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

adrian522 wrote: »
    I agree with taking Luck at 1, Wilson would be 2 though. I also think Wilson would be fine if he was the Colts QB, he'd do well wherever he is.

What way would you order the 2011 QBs though?

Newton
    Kaepernick
    Dalton
    Locker
    Ponder
    Yates
    Gabbert

Haven't really seen much from the rest of them.

Roughly my order too. I'd be confident in Wilson doing well in Indy but it's very hard to say he'd be quite as good in Indy. Seattle wasn't the best situation for a QB coming into his rookie year.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Two Girls One Klopp

Here's one for ye. Name the three franchises to have lost all of their last five playoff games?

Here's one for ye. Name the three franchises to have lost all of their last five playoff games?

Bengals, Bills, Browns?

Chiefs, Bengals and... Browns?

Bengals, Bills, Browns?

Bengals is correct. Other two are wrong.

Also a second one. Name the five franchises who have had no QB voted to the pro bowl this century?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Chiefs
    Bengals
    Lions

davyjose wrote: »
    Chiefs, Bengals and... Browns?

Browns is wrong. I'm afraid, Chiefs is right as well!!

• Advertisement

Chiefs
    Bengals
    Lions

Bingo!! Now anyone able for the second one?

Also a second one. Name the five franchises who have had no QB voted to the pro bowl this century?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement