Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

So instead of improving the Pro bowl, it has now turned into a platform for ego.

I think they should go a step further tbh and have celebrity guess stars playing...Justin Bieber returning punts, Miley Cyrus fielding kickoffs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

And to think players actually cite Pro Bowl appearances come contract re-negotiation time :pac:

Scrap it. It adds nothing, absolutely nothing. All it is is an excuse for the players to have a holiday and a piss up which they can sort out easily enough themselves if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Hazys wrote: »
    Miley Cyrus fielding kickoffs

Nobody wants to tackle that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Does anybody follow @RGIII on twitter?

Its gold, he tweets like an emotional 12 year old girl on Facebook, so many ridiculously meaningless motivational quotes.

His latest:
    An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Some classic @RGIII:
    If you are out there looking to the sky and wondering if the stars shine out for you....they do.
    I'm fueled by faith family & what I represent. Small town kids, Military, & kids dreaming everywhere. Doubters increase the power of my fuel

Can you image other NFL QBs doing the same?

@BREES9:
    Life is like a photograph where you develop from all the negatives.

@PEYTONMANNING:
    How about you get to know me before you judge me?

@TB12:
    Beauty gets attention. Personality captures the heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I would do anything to see Bieber return a punt.

EDIT: no fair catch allowed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm actually not surprised by that (RGIII's tweets), in the slightest.

EDIT: no fair catch allowed

All I could think of is when Johnny Knoxville tried to return kicks against USC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I followed Deion sanders on twitter for a while! Terrible stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If Rice and Sanders play in the Pro Bowl, it will seriously piss me off.

Players deserve to be recognised for great performances with something along the lines of the Pro Bowl. Sure, its had its faults over the years, but this new one could be outright farcical now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just abandon the game, nominate the players to recognize elite performance, but this game just embarrasses everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

adrian522 wrote: »
    Just abandon the game, nominate the players to recognize elite performance, but this game just embarrasses everyone.

Yep agree with this,

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

The Pro Bowl is a joke obviously. Fans should not have any say. Nearly as bad as the All star game in the NBA where Kobe is currently the 2nd highest vote getter in the West, despite the fact he's only played 6 games this year. The All Pro team is the only award that has any validity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I like the idea of a draft though.

If you're going to have a game, I say pick two head coaches, give them criteria (ie no more than 3 players from a team) and let them take turns picking a squad from the entire league.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If they're not going to play a competitive game I don't see the point.

Has anyone seen a football life is the forward pass?

Just been watching it, very good show, very informative on the history of the game..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

And 'meet' LeGarrette Blount or Marshawn Lynch half way down the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And 'meet' LeGarrette Blount or Marshawn Lynch half way down the field.
    RIP Sean Taylor. :(

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Has anyone seen a football life is the forward pass?

Just been watching it, very good show, very informative on the history of the game..

Watched it earlier myself very good episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Langdon Alger

Sorry quick question where are people finding a football life one the web I cant seem to find it anywhere

Sorry quick question where are people finding a football life one the web I cant seem to find it anywhere

They are all archived on game pass. Torrent site say have them too. Ten yard tracker has them but you need to sign up and get your ratio up before downloading archived shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

its not nfl but check out a documentary called schooled:the price of college sports. its on the american netflix, i know its well documented but it demonstrates very well the injustice in the college system.

a few bits in particular showed me the idiocy of the "pro college side" for example an argument made against a civil rights expert fighting for the players was "you cant let the animals run the zoo"

very good documentary but it made me pretty angry to see people treated like that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

An interesting article on Pro Football Reference, discussing why NFL teams that score 16 points in a game have a better winning % than teams that score 21 (teams that score 23 have a better winning % than teams that score 28!!) It seems counterintuitive but it's true, and an interesting (if you like stats) read.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=189

Interestingly the 49ers have scored exactly 23 points in their last 3 games (week 17 and both playoff games) while Seattle also scored 23 points in their playoff game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Interestingly the 49ers have scored exactly 23 points in their last 3 games (week 17 and both playoff games) while Seattle also scored 23 points in their playoff game.

...so it's a few quid on a tied game then?

Ha ha, not exactly, I do think any team getting to 23 points will win the game though.

Reports that Rex Ryan has a multi-year extension with the Jets......length to be announced.

Apparently it is based a lot on incentives for playoff performance, meaning that Ryan will be working for almost nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

poldebruin wrote: »
    An interesting article on Pro Football Reference, discussing why NFL teams that score 16 points in a game have a better winning % than teams that score 21 (teams that score 23 have a better winning % than teams that score 28!!) It seems counterintuitive but it's true, and an interesting (if you like stats) read.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=189

Tough one to figure out, but perhaps FGs are symptomatic of a team that doesn't turn the ball over much, or a team that's not chasing a game. Perhaps also the fact that you see last second FG wins a lot more than with TDs.

Other interesting story from today......Ryan Tannehill's wife rented a car recently, returned it 2 hours later, but left an AR-15 behind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Other interesting story from today......Ryan Tannehill's Hernandez's wife rented a car recently, returned it 2 hours later, but left an AR-15 behind

Fyp.:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement