Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Archimedes wrote: »
    Sorry man, but a deal's a deal. I assume you know how to put this into your sig...

:D

Ok boys.....how's she looking?

Edit: the sig came up for me in the post preview, but hasn't here.....problem?

AHA, you have to go into your options and enable view signatures.

So anybody who wants to view Archemides Bedroom poster masterpiece, do the above

This sig is gonna look great in the GAA forum :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Brilliant :D:D:D

Good sport for going ahead with it man, fair play!

Dont worry, I'm already trying to think of some gambling leverage to get this off! I'll think of something

• Registered Users Posts: 38,129 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

FFS there is being cruel and then being cruel.:pac: Thats just way ott man.

• Advertisement

And credit to Hulk Hands for taking his punishment like a man.

eagle eye wrote: »
    FFS there is being cruel and then being cruel.:pac: Thats just way ott man.

Ah it's alright, he let me off a bet last week. This sig thing is kinda cool, you a poker fanatic too eagle eye? We should get a game going if there's a few on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Archie, If I knew how to make sigs, I'd nearly make a Manning/Brady Sig challenge with you for Nov 21st!!!

davyjose wrote: »
    Archie, If I knew how to make sigs, I'd nearly make a Manning/Brady Sig challenge with you for Nov 21st!!!

Oh you're on. Don't worry though, you won't have to learn how to make them. There'll be no need :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

Have you provided any links to back up what you say about Favre in Atlanta? Because I'm looking at what you are saying and I think you are making it up as you go along.

On Fitzpatrick, while I don't think he is gonna do it long term he is doing it right now and until such time as he falters there is no use continuing this. Its just going round in circles now.

OK Eagle Eye whenever Tallaght may appear to be 10 points down at the 2 minute warning in the 4th quarter you always appear as Robin to his Batman

This is a 4 times in a row MVP , a Super Bowl winner , a perennial pro bowler and a role model . This is also a very wealthy man who signed a $19m contract as far back as 1993 . This is a person that will treat hearsay loose talk and any other damage to his reputation with a team of lawyers ...heck even though there are incriminating photos out there and voice messages that sound very like a certain Mississippian, a ceratin lady still hasnt met NFL and i dont think she will.

Unless there was arrests in Georgia or another disciplinary matter there isnt a link and you know why there isnt . But ask the Falcon fans , read their blogs , its there alright, this is from life.atlantafalcons .....this is one excerpt where a fan muses on what-if he hadnt gone to Wisconsin

"I might suggest that a more realistic scenario would have had Brett Favre wandering around Underground Atlanta in a drunken stupor for a couple of extra seasons before he was traded/released/cut. During this time he most probably would have had multiple 'media events' involving various strippers, hookers and other hangers-on from the Gold Club/Pure Platinum/Cheetah, and he would have had his own special place in the Atlanta jail due to multiple arrests for being drunk and disorderly. He probably could have pulled off a few extra seasons as the bad-boy/party-boy QB, since Paul Tagliabue (and not Roger Goodell) was the commissioner of the NFL in 1992.

The best thing to happen to Brett Favre was getting away from the temptations of the ATL and heading for Green Bay, where there isn't much to do except play football. No disrespect intended toward Green Bay"

there is a lot more of this ....but look at it logically ...why trade a 33rd draft pick after a season where he barely played ....

• Advertisement

neilster wrote: »
    OK Eagle Eye whenever Tallaght may appear to be 10 points down at the 2 minute warning in the 4th quarter you always appear as Robin to his Batman

This is a 4 times in a row MVP , a Super Bowl winner , a perennial pro bowler and a role model . This is also a very wealthy man who signed a $19m contract as far back as 1993 . This is a person that will treat hearsay loose talk and any other damage to his reputation with a team of lawyers ...heck even though there are incriminating photos out there and voice messages that sound very like a certain Mississippian, a ceratin lady still hasnt met NFL and i dont think she will.

Unless there was arrests in Georgia or another disciplinary matter there isnt a link and you know why there isnt . But ask the Falcon fans , read their blogs , its there alright, this is from life.atlantafalcons .....this is one excerpt where a fan muses on what-if he hadnt gone to Wisconsin

"I might suggest that a more realistic scenario would have had Brett Favre wandering around Underground Atlanta in a drunken stupor for a couple of extra seasons before he was traded/released/cut. During this time he most probably would have had multiple 'media events' involving various strippers, hookers and other hangers-on from the Gold Club/Pure Platinum/Cheetah, and he would have had his own special place in the Atlanta jail due to multiple arrests for being drunk and disorderly. He probably could have pulled off a few extra seasons as the bad-boy/party-boy QB, since Paul Tagliabue (and not Roger Goodell) was the commissioner of the NFL in 1992.

The best thing to happen to Brett Favre was getting away from the temptations of the ATL and heading for Green Bay, where there isn't much to do except play football. No disrespect intended toward Green Bay"

there is a lot more of this ....but look at it logically ...why trade a 33rd draft pick after a season where he barely played ....

You want me to believe the muck that koolaid chuggers put up on the internet and take that as fact.
    Just recently we had the same muck being posted about Randy Moss being a cancer in the Patriots locker room from 'fans' when the management and players were saying that he was a great influence while he was with the Patriots. In fact as I just mentioned in another thread, Belichick got angry(something he never does) at a presser when people questioned him about this stuff. He went out of his way to state that he never had a row with Randy Moss in his whole time in New England and that there was nothing but huge respect on both sides all along. Then low and behold on Sunday when Moss came back to town, he is seen before the game smiling and chatting with Bob Kraft, Mrs Kraft, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady at different times.

But you want to believe people outside the organisation who just love to gossip and spread malice. Fact is that its well documented that Glanville didn't ever want Favre in Atlanta and wouldn't play him. He came out in March this year and said he traded him because he had a drink problem.

But you for some reason don't even accept that, you want to say he had other addictions.

If you want to believe koolaid chuggers and haters on the internet go ahead but please stop trying to force it down our throats. We are a lot smarter than that on this site.

Have you provided any links to back up what you say about Favre in Atlanta? Because I'm looking at what you are saying and I think you are making it up as you go along.

On Fitzpatrick, while I don't think he is gonna do it long term he is doing it right now and until such time as he falters there is no use continuing this. Its just going round in circles now.

how about this Eagle :

"Still, there's always been a bit of a question about why the Falcons were so eager to get rid of their second round pick. In a radio interview with WNSR in Nashville, Jerry Glanville, coach of the Falcons at the time, gave his side of the story.

"I had to get him out of Atlanta. . . . I could not sober him up," Glanville said. "I sent him to a city where at 9:00 at night the only thing that's open is Chili Joes. You can get it two ways, with or without onions. And that's what made Brett Favre make a comeback was going to a town that closed down. If I would have traded him to New York, nobody to this day would have known who Brett Favre ever was."

or this from his own wife

"The MILWAUKEE JOURNAL SENTINEL learns a new revelation about the record-setting Packers QB from his wife’s new book. Deanna Favre recently released, “Don’t Bet Against Me: Beating the Odds Against Breast Cancer and in Life.” In the inspirational missive, Deanna details her struggles with the sickness. But a portion of the book touches on Brett’s problems with alcohol abuse.
    Although most fans know of Brett’s previous problem with painkillers, most of the public wasn’t aware of his battles with the bottle.

In the book, Deanna writes how after one harsh weekend, she was all packed up and ready to move out on the NFL All-Star. She was on the phone with her divorce attorney, while Brett begged her to reconsider. Deanna gave him an ultimatum: stop drinking immediately, or she & the kids were leaving for good. "

or in college:

"Favre began his freshman year as the seventh-string quarterback and took over the starting position in the second half of the third game of the year against Tulane on September 19, 1987. Favre, despite suffering a hangover from the night before and vomiting during warm-ups, led the Golden Eagles to a come-from-behind victory with two touchdown passes."

and more on Glanville

"Turns out, there was more reason for Glanville to sign off on the deal: he was concerned with Favre's drinking habits. In a rather candid interview with a radio station in Nashville, the former coach
    "I had to get him out of Atlanta ... I could not sober him up," Glanville said. "I sent him to a city where at 9:00 at night the only thing that's open is Chili Joes. You can get it two ways, with or without onions. And that's what made Brett Favre make a comeback was going to a town that closed down. If I would have traded him to New York, nobody to this day would have known who Brett Favre ever was."
    That Favre struggled with drinking and taking pain killers early in his career isn't news, but it's rare to hear about it from anyone other than Favre himself, especially in such detail. Not every troubled player is fortunate enough to find a delicate situation that best helps them succeed, but whether it was going to a town where the bars closed early or even finding a club that showed definite signs of interest in his talent, Favre found it in Green Bay."

and Glanville alluding to Favres carousing :

s we moved further away from the trade, most of the blame shifted from Falcons director of player wolf-and-favre-300x277.jpgBrett Favre and Ron Wolf had the last laugh at the expense of the Falcons.

personnel Ken Herock to coach Jerry Glanville, who reportedly had grown tired for Favre’s antics and lack of focus. (Translation: Hanging out in Buckhead!)
    “In effect, we traded a good prospect, but a player who might not have played for us for several years, for what could turn into a guy who plays for us right away, ” said Herock at the time. “But it also gives us plenty of leverage now. It gives us a chance to move around if we decide we want to.”

for Buckhead see

"Buckhead is an upscale uptown district within the city of Atlanta, Georgia, United States and comprising approximately the northern one-fifth of the city"

and

"Buckhead is sometimes promoted as the "Beverly Hills of the South" in reference to Beverly Hills, California, an area to which it is often compared"

this was Bretts fave area

You want me to believe the muck that koolaid chuggers put up on the internet and take that as fact.
    Just recently we had the same muck being posted about Randy Moss being a cancer in the Patriots locker room from 'fans' when the management and players were saying that he was a great influence while he was with the Patriots. In fact as I just mentioned in another thread, Belichick got angry(something he never does) at a presser when people questioned him about this stuff. He went out of his way to state that he never had a row with Randy Moss in his whole time in New England and that there was nothing but huge respect on both sides all along. Then low and behold on Sunday when Moss came back to town, he is seen before the game smiling and chatting with Bob Kraft, Mrs Kraft, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady at different times.

But you want to believe people outside the organisation who just love to gossip and spread malice. Fact is that its well documented that Glanville didn't ever want Favre in Atlanta and wouldn't play him. He came out in March this year and said he traded him because he had a drink problem.

But you for some reason don't even accept that, you want to say he had other addictions.

If you want to believe koolaid chuggers and haters on the internet go ahead but please stop trying to force it down our throats. We are a lot smarter than that on this site.

There are some people that i rate on this forum and there are people who ceaselessly call people out and hound them until they dont have to listen to them anymore so all thats left is the people that they want to speak to only ...a clique as it were ...well i wont be backed into a corner by that ****e

heres your answer ....Favres former coach..his wife ...his college ...and there is lots of stuff pre-99 in Green Bay ....i dont want to spend the night burying Favre ...he is a one-off .....i didnt start the idea of endless proof of this

still havent Tallaghts reply on Fitzy attaining chemistry with those First Offence recievers from way back on the depth chart at QB3 when all he gets is to to see them in the distance at the other side of the practice facility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Glanville's opinion of Favre is like Hitlers opinion of the Jews. Already hates them and nothing was ever going to change his mind on them. Ask yourself why Glanville got fired? It was purely because he was a mouth and nothing more than a cancer to the team in the long term and Atlanta had enough of his ridiculous antics. The guy has no credibility what so ever as he frequently bad mouthed other players and coaches in public and we are not talking about the light smack talk one sees today.

And Neilster quoting Atlanta fans on an Atlanta forum is ridiculous as of course they are going to paint Favre in a bad light considering their organisation dumped him. Same way as any fans will defend their club and coach.

Had glanville gotten off his high horse and tried to work with Favre if though poorly of him and worked with him the way Holmgren and the Packers did maybe he would have seen results. But no Glanville was far more concerned about making a tit of himself and being that controversial guy in the public light.

I have always said that addictions existed for Favre outside Vicodin and i think this back this up....other addictions to alcohol ...i dont know but the man is a reformed alchoholic ...when your wife writes it in a book

as to Randy Moss several journalist didnt buy the Airplane story or the tensions with B Bellichek ...most thought that Welker looked fully returned to form ...Tate was emerging .....Hernandez had emerged ....the Tight Ends look like worth the high picks ....and we didnt know it but maybe the Branch trade was in the works

so this was a classic Bellichek move ...all business

still havent Tallaghts reply on Fitzy attaining chemistry with those First Offence recievers from way back on the depth chart at QB3 when all he gets is to to see them in the distance at the other side of the practice facility

You see one thing that falls down for you here I never said he worked with the starting Wide Recievers in camp. I said this:
    This season and in Camp the Bills have worked with Fitzpatrick and he has gotten to know the WR a lot better. Also if you read through the reports for the Bills camp it was suggested many times the Fitzpatrick should have started this season without question.

So you show me where I said he worked with the starting Wide reciever corp in camp and we will discuss it. Until then you keep making those personal attacks on me.

Its sad really I respect your posts and your opinion but you seem to want to take this down the personal road everytime.

On and to add as you are giving out advice for me to chill out maybe you may want to take a dose of your own medicine.

Glanville's opinion of Favre is like Hitlers opinion of the Jews. Already hates them and nothing was ever going to change his mind on them. Ask yourself why Glanville got fired? It was purely because he was a mouth and nothing more than a cancer to the team in the long term and Atlanta had enough of his ridiculous antics. The guy has no credibility what so ever as he frequently bad mouthed other players and coaches in public and we are not talking about the light smack talk one sees today.

And Neilster quoting Atlanta fans on an Atlanta forum is ridiculous as of course they are going to paint Favre in a bad light considering their organisation dumped him. Same way as any fans will defend their club and coach.

Had glanville gotten off his high horse and tried to work with Favre if though poorly of him and worked with him the way Holmgren and the Packers did maybe he would have seen results. But no Glanville was far more concerned about making a tit of himself and being that controversial guy in the public light.

Nice to see you werent going to stay in the Bcave when Robin needs a hand ...just read the rest of the posts...cant believe ye didnt know this ...were you born in 2001 ?

Nice to see you werent going to stay in the Bcave when Robin needs a hand ...just read the rest of the posts...cant believe ye didnt know this ...were you born in 2001 ?

Not that its any of your business when I was born why don't you stop taking all of this so personal and throwing out the personal abuse if you want a serious discussion. And no I wasn't born in 2001 :rolleyes: The year I was born is irrelevant.

As I said already I was a teenager when Favre moved from Atlanta to Green Bay and the Internet and American media wasn't easy to come by back in the 90's. I will admit I don't know everything from the early 90's that well only what I picked up over that decade. Hence why I asked for your insight. But you seem to want to take it personally. I knew about Glanville it was hard not to and I knew about the Favre trade back then but it took me the course of that decade to pick up the rest of back then hence why I asked you to elaborate.

But hey you continue trying to belittle my opinion and throwing personal jibes my way.

You see one thing that falls down for you here I never said he worked with the starting Wide Recievers in camp. I said this:

So you show me where I said he worked with the starting Wide reciever corp in camp and we will discuss it. Until then you keep making those personal attacks on me.

Its sad really I respect your posts and your opinion but you seem to want to take this down the personal road everytime.

On and to add as you are giving out advice for me to chill out maybe you may want to take a dose of your own medicine.

I have been going back through a lot of posts with your replys to others and the tactic is always the same ...usually a slating on a number of points followed by ...i respect your posts and opinion blah blah and then the killer line ....you always seem to always make this personal ...just answer the question....

this is your quote
    "This season and in Camp the Bills have worked with Fitzpatrick and he has gotten to know the WR a lot better."

you are either alluding to increased work with the first offence recievers or that watching hours of film will increase chemistry , you havent explicitly said that RFitz worked at length with Evans, Parrish and Johnson but come now ...no ones intelligence is going to insulted here i think

Neister the only reason I got involved in this is because you were saying that Favre had other addictions besides alcohol in Atlanta. There is nothing about that anywhere, you haven't even posted anything to back it up.

• Advertisement

I have been going back through a lot of posts with your replys to others and the tactic is always the same ...usually a slating on a number of points followed by ...i respect your posts and opinion blah blah and then the killer line ....you always seem to always make this personal ...just answer the question....

Has this become so much of a personal vendetta for you now? Pulling all this sh1te out of your arse to make yourself feel better? What I don't get is the fact you are looking to make this personal by trying to drag out conversations in which you are telling me to chill out when it seems you may want to do the same. You did say at one point you were done with answering me but yet you continue then to quote me.

Its sad that you cannot accept that someone can respect a lot of what you say and still disagree with some of your stuff. Mad really.
    this is your quote
    "This season and in Camp the Bills have worked with Fitzpatrick and he has gotten to know the WR a lot better."

you are either alluding to increased work with the first offence recievers or that watching hours of film will increase chemistry , you havent explicitly said that RFitz worked at length with Evans, Parrish and Johnson but come now ...no ones intelligence is going to insulted here i think

Let me break it down for you, Maybe I could have written slightly better but it still doesnt suggest he worked with all of the WR in camp.

This season and in camp the bills have worked with Fitzy, He has now gotten to know his WR better this season.

Not that its any of your business when I was born why don't you stop taking all of this so personal and throwing out the personal abuse if you want a serious discussion. And no I wasn't born in 2001 :rolleyes: The year I was born is irrelevant.

As I said already I was a teenager when Favre moved from Atlanta to Green Bay and the Internet and American media wasn't easy to come by back in the 90's. I will admit I don't know everything from the early 90's that well only what I picked up over that decade. Hence why I asked for your insight. But you seem to want to take it personally. I knew about Glanville it was hard not to and I knew about the Favre trade back then but it took me the course of that decade to pick up the rest of back then hence why I asked you to elaborate.

But hey you continue trying to belittle my opinion and throwing personal jibes my way.

I am going to only say this once but i have found over the last week a lot of contributors making valid points and three contributors in particular treat this thread as target practice...these three usually reply in support of each other and never call each other out ....

but in that time ...i have been told not to take things personally, that tension is a part of the cut and thrust of this forum ,in other words take your criticism...be a good boy ( i owuld largely agree that is one of the attractions)

i have been told i am making it up as i go along ...is a wifes autobiography a koolaid chugger

i treat these as just as personal as the slight you feel ...and the 2001 comment was a joke ... like a lot of things cos Favre dealt with his demons and there was no big police bust or whatever it quite rightly didnt make the headlines it might have and in a way that is to be applauded i think

Neister the only reason I got involved in this is because you were saying that Favre had other addictions besides alcohol in Atlanta. There is nothing about that anywhere, you haven't even posted anything to back it up.

thats not what i said ...maybe the wording didnt help on my part ...i mentioned addictions in regards to his life along with Vicodin ...thats alchohol for me ...im not suggesting any other addiction in atlanta

I am going to only say this once but i have found over the last week a lot of contributors making valid points and three contributors in particular treat this thread as target practice...these three usually reply in support of each other and never call each other out ....

Are you for real? Me and Eagle eye go at it all of the time. Not sure who you feel the 3rd person is.
    but in that time ...i have been told not to take things personally, that tension is a part of the cut and thrust of this forum ,in other words take your criticism...be a good boy ( i owuld largely agree that is one of the attractions)

Wait a second there is a huge difference between being a critic and throwing personal attacks at people.

[qiote]
    i have been told i am making it up as i go along ...is a wifes autobiography a koolaid chugger[/quote]

But I wasn't the one who said this to you so whats your point. if you didn't like what that person said report him. What he said to you has nothing to do with me that is his opinion not mine. Had he said that to me I probably would have reported him and he knows this.
    i treat these as just as personal as the slight you feel ...and the 2001 comment was a joke ... like a lot of things cos Favre dealt with his demons and there was no big police bust or whatever it quite rightly didnt make the headlines it might have and in a way that is to be applauded i think

A joke to you maybe but when you put it in the context of the thread one could also take it as how old are you jibe.

Look contrary to your own belief I do respect a lot of what you have said but it seems you cannot associate both criticism and respect in the same light. Sure we disagree on a lot of things with Fitzy and Favre but that doesn't mean I dont respect your opinion. If you truly believe one can only show respect when they 100% agree with you that is fine I will remember that the next time before I reply to you.

Has this become so much of a personal vendetta for you now? Pulling all this sh1te out of your arse to make yourself feel better? What I don't get is the fact you are looking to make this personal by trying to drag out conversations in which you are telling me to chill out when it seems you may want to do the same. You did say at one point you were done with answering me but yet you continue then to quote me.

Its sad that you cannot accept that someone can respect a lot of what you say and still disagree with some of your stuff. Mad really.

Let me break it down for you, Maybe I could have written slightly better but it still doesnt suggest he worked with all of the WR in camp.

This season and in camp the bills have worked with Fitzy, He has now gotten to know his WR better this season.

Right i am going to make the peace here as i will explain the problem for me ...a lot of pages ago another contributor had a pic of a pretty female ref calling for a time out or something along those lines ...as the heat had been raised over a series of posts ...

i then next sent a post regarding Cutler and Orton as i was genuinely interested in Denver..the shift for them after Elway ...the Plummer years ...the picking of Cutler... and what you had said about Orton i could see a lot of sense in

your reply was really a slap in the face (read it back......) ...dont waste my time ...read the volumes of posts on the issue ...i dont think anyone would like it ...so thats where im coming from

so lets knock this on the head ...i would love to hear what you and others think of McNabbs benching and what that might mean for the QB carousel and lets move on ...is he one-and-done in DC

for what its worth Fitzy was again solid at the weeknd and may be a building block for Buffalo

thats not what i said ...maybe the wording didnt help on my part ...i mentioned addictions in regards to his life along with Vicodin ...thats alchohol for me ...im not suggesting any other addiction in atlanta

No you mentioned addictions in Atlanta but said that Vicolin was not part of it.

Thats the problem I had with what you said.

Anyways I'm done with this but I have to say I'm not happy about the Batman and Robin comment either. In fact you couldn't be more wrong. The norm here is for Tallaght and myself to be on opposing sides of an argument.:D

Maybe he's referring to Favre's addiction to throwing interceptions?

Maybe he's referring to Favre's addiction to throwing interceptions?

Well that was hardly a problem in Atlanta since Glanville wouldn't give him the ball:pac:

im not trying to avoid replying but in the spirit of my last post i wont too much

thanks for that ...i didnt realise i could report on the koolaid chugger thing

wondering your views on the coaching changes possible obviously post Sunday

news just in Moss has been waived by the Vikes ?? likely landing spots ???

• Advertisement

Right i am going to make the peace here as i will explain the problem for me ...a lot of pages ago another contributor had a pic of a pretty female ref calling for a time out or something along those lines ...as the heat had been raised over a series of posts ...

i then next sent a post regarding Cutler and Orton as i was genuinely interested in Denver..the shift for them after Elway ...the Plummer years ...the picking of Cutler... and what you had said about Orton i could see a lot of sense in

your reply was really a slap in the face (read it back......) ...dont waste my time ...read the volumes of posts on the issue ...i dont think anyone would like it ...so thats where im coming from

so lets knock this on the head ...i would love to hear what you and others think of McNabbs benching and what that might mean for the QB carousel and lets move on ...is he one-and-done in DC

for what its worth Fitzy was again solid at the weeknd and may be a building block for Buffalo

Look I am willing to put all this behind us and Apologise to you if I offended you in anyway. One thing you will learn with my posts they come off very aggressive and I am forever apologising to folk on here. I do my best to tone it down but its like trying to teach an old dog new tricks just aint happening. Again I am sorry if I offended you.

If I do it again feel free to send me a pm calling me out on the issue. As I said I have enjoyed your arrival to the forum as you do seem to know your stuff and trust me you will see more heated debates but one thing myself and others have an understanding on it that they never go personal and at the end of it we still respect each others opinions albeit the threads dont read that way we still get on. Well most of us anyways. :D

Now Im off to find a new side kick as it seems Eagle doesn't want to be my Robin :D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement